PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of bad taste in music.......

78Eliminator
01-24-2007, 11:22 AM
JBBs list of the greatest guitar riffs got me riled up. It's proof that 99% of people have bad taste in music. Metalica is weak, so is Guns and Roses. It's what the brain dead, clueless, boring and predictable cheerleaders used to blast in their white Volkswagen convertible cabriolets when I was in high school. Yes, there is music outside the scope of MTV, and guess what, it wasn't written to appeal to the masses. Some music actually might have a shred of artistic value. Even the bands worthy of maybe being up there like Jimi and Sabbath, the WRONG songs were selected.
Here, check this site out and watch the videos:
http://www.youhavebadtasteinmusic.com/

C-2
01-24-2007, 11:55 AM
JBBs list of the greatest guitar riffs got me riled up. It's proof that 99% of people have bad taste in music. Metalica is weak, so is Guns and Roses. It's what the brain dead, clueless, boring and predictable cheerleaders used to blast in their white Volkswagen convertible cabriolets when I was in high school. Yes, there is music outside the scope of MTV, and guess what, it wasn't written to appeal to the masses. Some music actually might have a shred of artistic value. Even the bands worthy of maybe being up there like Jimi and Sabbath, the WRONG songs were selected.
Should I vote like you too?http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132crazy.gif

Deano
01-24-2007, 11:58 AM
God bless you:D

Tom Brown
01-24-2007, 12:00 PM
It seems to me, being main stream does not make a song bad, nor does it make it good.
It's all about what feeds your soul. :cool:

EAZYKILLER2006
01-24-2007, 12:01 PM
oh gosh then you would hate my music...one word....SNOOOOP:eek:
YEA I LIKE THE SNOOOP DOGGY DOGG;)

spectras only
01-24-2007, 12:02 PM
78Eliminator , they all suck :D . Give me Django Reinhard any day over these
clowns ;)

Jetaholic
01-24-2007, 12:03 PM
It seems to me, being main stream does not make a song bad, nor does it make it good.
It's all about what feeds your soul. :cool:
AMEN!!!
Some people are turned off to mainstream music just because of the fact that it is mainstream. Deep down they know they like the song, but all because it's considered "mainstream" they won't admit to it.
There's a lot of great mainstream music out there, just as there's a lot of great underground music out there as well.

DMOORE
01-24-2007, 12:05 PM
oh gosh then you would hate my music...one word....SNOOOOP:eek:
YEA I LIKE THE SNOOOP DOGGY DOGG;)
Say it ain't so. The Horror........the Horror.
Darrell.

EAZYKILLER2006
01-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Say it ain't so. The Horror........the Horror.
Darrell.
that is sooo hilarious!
but... hey!!! when the song "i wann f you" is playing and a group of half nekked girls are on our boat... grinding and dirty dancing...we have a crowd around sayin crank "the snooop"....;)

DMOORE
01-24-2007, 12:17 PM
that is sooo hilarious!
but... hey!!! when the song "i wann f you" is playing and a group of half nekked girls are on our boat... grinding and dirty dancing...we have a crowd around sayin crank "the snooop"....;)
Hey , who would I be to argue.:)
Darrell.

ratso
01-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Personal choice... ;)

Mrs.Racer277
01-24-2007, 12:20 PM
So what bands WOULD get your vote??? :confused:

ratso
01-24-2007, 12:27 PM
So what bands WOULD get your vote??? :confused:
Probably the ones that you're having to tell the people next to you "Hey! Could you cut that Shit OFF"!!!!!!!!!!:D

HCS
01-24-2007, 12:31 PM
I have to totally agree...that list sucked.
Best guitar riffs of all time!! I don't think so. Someone doesn't even know what a guitar riff is.:hammer2: :hammer2:

ratso
01-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Well Damn... I'm waiting for the list from the "professionals" here so I can check it out. http://***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif

Jbb
01-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Best guitar riffs of all time!! I don't think so. Someone doesn't even know what a guitar riff is.:hammer2: :hammer2:
:D :D

EAZYKILLER2006
01-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Hey , who would I be to argue.:)
Darrell.
lol~yea true story...grip of girls (some i didnt even know) all get on "our boat"...everyone is dancing...so ppl at the sand bar are standing around OUR BOAT... i look up and theres a big crowd around...hubby, leaves to go to the bathroom...these ppl (the crowd) wouldnt let him "on his boat"...
they were soo funny ...dont touch that "music" and "dont get on the boat"...that what they said.....hubby was sooo pissed...he doesnt like a grip of ppl , he doesnt even know on "our boat" so he goes to cut the music ...and these dudes acted like the wanted to kick his ass...:sqeyes: GUESS cus the didnt want the crazy girls to stop dancing....
he hates when that happenes...

EAZYKILLER2006
01-24-2007, 12:45 PM
OH RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS ...I LOVE THAT CD CALIFORINACATION..SOME GOOD GUITAR UP ON THAT CD...LOL

Deano
01-24-2007, 12:51 PM
lol~yea true story...grip of girls (some i didnt even know) all get on "our boat"...everyone is dancing...so ppl at the sand bar are standing around OUR BOAT... i look up and theres a big crowd around...hubby, leaves to go to the bathroom...these ppl (the crowd) wouldnt let him "on his boat"...
they were soo funny ...dont touch that "music" and "dont get on the boat"...that what they said.....hubby was sooo pissed...he doesnt like a grip of ppl , he doesnt even know on "our boat" so he goes to cut the music ...and these dudes acted like the wanted to kick his ass...:sqeyes: GUESS cus the didnt want the crazy girls to stop dancing....
he hates when that happenes...
Nothing like a bunch of tough guys at the sandbar. Good times:(

EAZYKILLER2006
01-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Nothing like a bunch of tough guys at the sandbar. Good times:(
worse "copper canyon"...if ppl are under age, drinking on "anyones boat"...when the cops come...who gets the dui?

HCS
01-24-2007, 01:23 PM
This song has good riff :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Betty

Todd969
01-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Oh boy! When speaking in terms of good and crap the most overlooked part is TALENT. This could get interesting.
What makes one better over another is all personal taste. For instance:
I happen to think Neil Peart, Buddy Rich, Mike Portnoy and Kieth Moon are arguably the best main stream drummers t0 ever play. That's not to say Alex,Carmine,Tommy, insert your favorite..... aren't good, there's a level of talent and schooling that sets them apart.
Guitars are a whole different world. Of course most people run right to Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton or Eddie Van Halen, but people who have a larger appreciation know names like Yngwie, Vai, Petrucci,Hoey,Satriani ,Paul Reed Smith, Jeff Beck and Robin Trower,to name a few. There's more to a guitar than just a tremlo bar. If you play guitar or try to you'd know what I mean.
Anyone who enjoys music like I do, not just the group or song of the day should grasp what I'm trying to say here. I'm NO expert, just felt like voicing my 1 cent.
Todd
:)

spectras only
01-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Guitars are a whole different world. Of course most people run right to Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton or Eddie Van Halen, but people who have a larger appreciation know names like Yngwie, Vai, Petrucci,Hoey,Satriani ,Paul Reed Smith, Jeff Beck and Robin Trower,to name a few. There's more to a guitar than just a tremolo bar. If you play guitar or try to you'd know what I mean.
Todd
Todd , you left AL Di Meola out , shame on you , J/K :D .BTW , I have a tremolo bar on my Guild .

EAZYKILLER2006
01-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Oh boy! When speaking in terms of good and crap the most overlooked part is TALENT. This could get interesting.
What makes one better over another is all personal taste. For instance:
I happen to think Neil Peart, Buddy Rich, Mike Portnoy and Kieth Moon are arguably the best main stream drummers t0 ever play. That's not to say Alex,Carmine,Tommy, insert your favorite..... aren't good, there's a level of talent and schooling that sets them apart.
Guitars are a whole different world. Of course most people run right to Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton or Eddie Van Halen, but people who have a larger appreciation know names like Yngwie, Vai, Petrucci,Hoey,Satriani ,Paul Reed Smith, Jeff Beck and Robin Trower,to name a few. There's more to a guitar than just a tremlo bar. If you play guitar or try to you'd know what I mean.
Anyone who enjoys music like I do, not just the group or song of the day should grasp what I'm trying to say here. I'm NO expert, just felt like voicing my 1 cent.
Todd
yea i hear ya...the music i listen to...is NOT the music i dance/drink to....when i was cleaning house, i listen to different music..when i work out it is different... just had to stir it up a bit, puttin http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/style_emoticons/default/rotf.gifSNOOOOOP UP IN THE MIX... party on...

C-2
01-24-2007, 02:25 PM
I love to see musicians get all butt-hurt, it cracks me up.

shockwaveharry
01-24-2007, 02:40 PM
JBBs list of the greatest guitar riffs got me riled up. It's proof that 99% of people have bad taste in music. Metalica is weak, so is Guns and Roses. It's what the brain dead, clueless, boring and...
It's cool to dislike mainstream music and seek your own way, enjoying sounds that other people don't know exist or don't take the time to find...
It's radically un-cool to tell every one that their taste in music sucks and you're the only one who knows what cool music is.
Cheer up Emo-Kid!
http://tn8.deviantart.com/300W/fs6.deviantart.com/i/2005/068/9/8/Emo_Kid_by_kingrome.jpg

ratso
01-24-2007, 02:45 PM
It's cool to dislike mainstream music and seek your own way, enjoying sounds that other people don't know exist or don't take the time to find...
It's radically un-cool to tell every one that their taste in music sucks and you're the only one who knows what cool music is.
Cheer up Emo-Kid!
http://tn8.deviantart.com/300W/fs6.deviantart.com/i/2005/068/9/8/Emo_Kid_by_kingrome.jpg
78 said it, I believe it, that settles it...http://***boat.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif :D
All bow to the King...

Captain Dan
01-24-2007, 02:49 PM
I love to see musicians get all butt-hurt, it cracks me up.
it hurts musician's butt cracks? :D

Jetaholic
01-24-2007, 04:07 PM
BTW , I have a tremolo bar on my Guild .
Personally, I got out of the whole "wang bar" phase once I got my Les Pauls. Best guitars I've ever played. They feel just right and you just can't get a better sound than a Les Paul. Just my personal taste & $0.02.

spectras only
01-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Les Pauls are great , but I wanted a semi acoustic , and this starfire III is pretty nice with the Bigsby .BTW , do you play the 'Wabash Blues' on your LP , hehe ?

YeLLowBoaT
01-24-2007, 04:29 PM
lets not forget all of the classical guys...beleave it or not alot of them could play almost any on that list under the table.

HCS
01-24-2007, 04:38 PM
lets not forget all of the classical guys...beleave it or not alot of them could play almost any on that list under the table.
Like Larry Carlton or Al Di Meola.

Jbb
01-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Brown is partial to the likes of .....Zamfir....master of the pan flute.....Boxcar Willie......and Slim Whitman.....:p

Jetaholic
01-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Les Pauls are great , but I wanted a semi acoustic , and this starfire III is pretty nice with the Bigsby .BTW , do you play the 'Wabash Blues' on your LP , hehe ?
lol
Actually I'm more of a hard rock guy, more specifically 80s era heavy metal. I use all Les Pauls and I run them through '69 era Marshall Super Lead clones...except I built them. All that through Marshall 4x12 cabs loaded with G12H-30 speakers. One of the cabs is a '73 Marshall cab with the original 30 watters in it! You plug into that cab and you'll hear THE classic rock tone you've heard on all the records.
Although if I was to get a hollow body, I'd get a Gibson Byrdland, just like the ones used by Ted Nugent. His tone flat out rocks!

HCS
01-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Another great jazz guitarist.
http://www.jamieglaser.com/images/jamiegander.jpg

HCS
01-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Brown is partial to the likes of .....Zamfir....master of the pan flute.....Boxcar Willie......and Slim Whitman.....:p
Don't forget the late great Buck Owens.

78Eliminator
01-24-2007, 05:10 PM
I agree with what Todd had to say. There is technical ability and then there is taste and they are miles apart. I have listened to technical guitarists who can play an arpeggio at warp speeds, but then could not come up with anything that sounded original or from the heart. I listen to a lot of music that's out there but when I am forced to listen to the radio I find myself thinking: "Ok, sounds like the guitarist is a Jimi Hendrix fan since the song is two notes away from being a complete rip off" or "Great, the guy went to a rave and listened to some electronic music so now he mixes it in with his horrible "hard rock" riffs and it sounds awful" or "You poor 22 year old bastard, you broke up with your girlfriend and are writing a song about it, let me put a smiley sticker on your shirt, like the one you used to get from the dentist to cheer you up." Lots of guitarists learn how to play a fifth and that's about it....... Oh and it aint punk if it was written after the 80s, sorry kid, Blink 182 and Green Day are sorry.
I like tons of music, I really do, but I don’t like to listen to stuff that sounds unintelligent (thrown together)......and that's not to say that simple can sound just as interesting and complex. I have played in bands and I have written music and I guess once you do that you can sort of understand what a good song really sounds like and what something that was thrown together sounds like.
Don't get me wrong. Nothing has to be complex. There is nothing worse than somebody that jacks the guitar off like mad to show everybody how fast they can play. I remember listening to Van Halen's "Fair Warning" album and one thing that struck me was that Eddie knew (on that album) when to play fast and when to roll back into a nice simple yet tasteful chorus. I am not a big Van Halen fan, but I think you get my point. Lots of early Black Sabbath was very simple but to me sounded like it came right from the heart and really struck me....like the songs "Wasp, Electric Funeral, The Wizard". Those to me had good guitar riffs. You must also consider when they were written and the fact that Tony Iommi was one of the first to pioneer distortion. Or how about the drum fills from Bill Ward and the incredible bass playing of Geezer Butler (War Pigs)?
Lots of good stuff out there, but when you put Black Sabbath in the same category as Metalica, let alone give them the number one guitar riff, it makes me want to hurl.

Tom Brown
01-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Whitman can fit places other artists can't.

spectras only
01-24-2007, 07:01 PM
There is technical ability and then there is taste and they are miles apart. I like tons of music, I really do, but I don’t like to listen to stuff that sounds unintelligent (thrown
I like instrumentals myself . I really like simple music [ Taylor with one pickup , no synthesizers ] like Gitarre 2000 by Doyle Dikes.
Generally , I like all kinds of music , including classics and even some operas ;) . Ooops , did I just say that :)