PDA

View Full Version : Hey Froggy

Wolskis_Bar
01-24-2007, 07:17 PM
If you have plans to be haze gray and underway conducting sea trials next week and need several deck hands, I can supply acouple of salts that would stand some watches for ya, as long as they arn't port and starboard. Another look at 1SD would be nice. We'll even ask permission to cross the QD and polish the bell.

Froggystyle
01-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Certainly!
We just came from Elsinore on Tuesday, and tested on Castaic on Wednesday. We are attending to a couple of issues right now with the transom now that we know everything is set up correctly, and will hopefully be back taking test rides on Saturday morning around here somewhere.
We are still missing some bilet components that have to be installed before taking out folks for test drives (swimstep brackets and drop down ramp stops) but other than that we are good to go on this boat.
PM me your phone number and I will drop you a line when we head out.
You may just want to belay all of that scuttlebutt ye be speakin with regards to shipboard life though matey... We are civilian now!

yopengo
01-25-2007, 11:00 AM
If you have plans to be haze gray and underway conducting sea trials next week and need several deck hands, I can supply acouple of salts that would stand some watches for ya, as long as they arn't port and starboard. Another look at 1SD would be nice. We'll even ask permission to cross the QD and polish the bell.
:confused:

TOBTEK
01-25-2007, 01:13 PM
hows that new outdive system working out?

Froggystyle
01-25-2007, 01:28 PM
hows that new outdive system working out?
It's amazing. Plain and simple.
I still love the acceleration out of the hole with a huge load that the jet had, but this is better than any outdrive deck I have been in.

Havasu1986
01-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Froggy...Can you translate for the lay person what this means. The guys at work are jar heads.:D

Hustler
01-25-2007, 01:35 PM
Certainly!
and tested on Castaic on Wednesday.
And no phone call, WTF!!!

BarryMac
01-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Froggy...Can you translate for the lay person what this means. The guys at work are jar heads.:D
I was going to say that maybe eazykiller or kim hanson can translate it for us... :D :D :D

Froggystyle
01-25-2007, 01:48 PM
"If you have plans to be haze gray and underway conducting sea trials next week..."
The Navy ships are for the most part painted a special, horrible color called "Haze Gray". Once out of a shop period, the boat is usually re-painted and all pretty (or as pretty as it gets) and you get "under way" or head out on your own power. Thusly, the term "Haze Gray and Under Way" means roughly... all cleaned up and ready to go deploy.
"and need several deck hands, I can supply acouple of salts that would stand some watches for ya..."
Deck hands should be obvious, but anyone who has spent a lot of time on a Navy ship has breathed his fair share of salt air... and is termed "Salty". The older and longer you have been in, the saltier you are. "Standing a watch" is to perform a duty on a ship, specifically the duty for which you have been assigned.. As with any business, you need a certain number of people there at any time doing the jobs. Instead of "Cashier" or something, you may have "engine watch". Your job would be full time making sure that the engineering systems are all on line and good to go. They are offering to come on the boat, grab some fenders and go boating essentially, while offering to be put to work as well and indicating they will help the process however they can and not be in the way.
"as long as they arn't port and starboard."
Joke on standing a watch... The worst case scenario is port and starboard watch. That meant 12 hours on, 12 hours off. It gets old quickly. It essentially splits up the ships crew into two halves (port and starboard, blue and gold etc... ) and still requires a 100% duty schedule.
"Another look at 1SD would be nice."
The big green buoy out at the end of the channel leading into San Diego Bay. It denotes a safe path through the kelp beds off Point Loma.
"We'll even ask permission to cross the QD and polish the bell."
Sailor manners. Whenever you come on board a different ship than your own, you need to ask the duty officer for permission to come aboard, or permission to cross the quarter-deck, which is the recieving area on the side of the ship. Ships have bells. We have subwoofers. He is offering to polish the subwoofer... again, an indication he is looking to pull his end and not just hang out drinking our beer (which would be fine too... ;) )
Translated?
Considering all of the guys in your shop are Marines, I can go back if need be and use some smaller words I guess... Let me know... ;)

Havasu1986
01-25-2007, 01:51 PM
I was going to say that maybe eazykiller or kim hanson can translate it for us... :D :D :D
Didn't think of that...Are you still going to do a golf tourney.:)