PDA

View Full Version : What if you told the hospital U R homeless and penniless...

Scarab Jet
01-24-2007, 10:42 PM
So, I had to take my wife to emergency room the other day... Thank god, she is OK and it wasn't anything long lasting (ended up being an inner ear infection/vertigo thing)... Any rate, they admitted her and after 4 nights at the hospital and bunch of tests with all the acronyms one can think of (MRI, MRA, EKG, ...), we got the bill...
Would U believe $40K? Thank god [again] that I have insurance through work and they paid most of it... but was wonderin'... does anybody know what would have happened [when the gal in the emergency room pulled me aside and asked to fill out all the insurance paper work], if I had told her that I don't even know her and as far I knew she is homeless and doesn't have any money to pay for emergency room or anything afterwards?
I am just sick and tired of keep paying our premium and being charged a ridiculous amount for hospitalization ($6.00 for a single Tylenol tablet!) for healthcare to pay for the ones that don't have insurance... It is just not fair.
Seriously, I am really curious and want to join the crowd and instead of paying my hard earned cash for medical bills and insurance premiums, rather put the money toward gas in my boat ... do any of you guys and gals know what would happen if I had indeed told them that neither one of us have any social security numbers and are penniless and homeless?
Any thoughts would be appreciated...
Mike... (The guy who is tired of paying his share but getting shafted because others don't)...

riverbound
01-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Seriously, I am really curious and want to join the crowd and instead of paying my hard earned cash for medical bills and insurance premiums, rather put the money toward gas in my boat ...
Im confused as to what you are saying here....are you hinting that most of us put gas in our boat and freeload off the system instead of paying health insurance?

Scarab Jet
01-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Im confused as to what you are saying here....are you hinting that most of us put gas in our boat and freeload off the system instead of paying health insurance?
No, not at all... sorry if it came out that way... by crowd, I didn't mean the ***boat folks... just anybody who doesn't...

NashvilleBound
01-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Im confused too........ I almost think my feelings are hurt.........

riverbound
01-24-2007, 10:52 PM
No, not at all... sorry if it came out that way... by crowd, I didn't mean the ***boat folks... just anybody who doesn't...
I would venture to say that there are VERY few people who are getting propper medical attention without insurance or some sort of financial backing.

Scarab Jet
01-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Im confused too........ I almost think my feelings are hurt.........
Didn't mean to hurt your feelings Nashville... My apologies...

NashvilleBound
01-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Didn't mean to hurt your feelings Nashville... My apologies...
LOl, no worries....just jokin.
While in San Diego I heard they will tell you where to go for services instead of their hospitol. Kinda like if your terminal they will put a bandaid on and transport you accordingly. Course all the illegals get free care....thats why your Asprin is $6. Out here they will take you no matter what.....no waiting while you keel over in the lobby filling out paperwork.

Scarab Jet
01-24-2007, 10:58 PM
I would venture to say that there are VERY few people who are getting propper medical attention without insurance or some sort of financial backing.
So, would they kick us out of the Emergency room? I hear all of these news about how illegals can go into the emergency room and the doctors HAVE TO provide them care free of charge... Or... would they have treated her in the emergency but would not admit her once they found out that we don't have insurance? Or perhaps transfer us to a County hospital?
I just don't know the answer...

eliminatedsprinter
01-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Tell the Hospital she's an illeagal alien. That will work better.;)

Scarab Jet
01-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Tell the Hospital she's an illeagal alien. That will work better.;)
That's exactly what I was thinkin'... what if I did? what would they do? granted she doesn't look Mexican, but I can alway say she is an Illegal Alien from somewhere in Europe or Canada...

riverbound
01-24-2007, 11:09 PM
So, would they kick us out of the Emergency room? I hear all of these news about how illegals can go into the emergency room and the doctors HAVE TO provide them care free of charge... Or... would they have treated her in the emergency but would not admit her once they found out that we don't have insurance? Or perhaps transfer us to a County hospital?
I just don't know the answer...
Im pretty sure they are only required to give medical attention until the person is not in a life or death situation.

moneypit
01-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Don't blame the hospital. A hospital is just the Hotel... Blame the fuggin MD that couldnt look inside your wifes ear and see the inflammation that accompanies an inner ear infection or the protruding membrane. Some doc's do things back to front. MRI's CT's scans... Dont get me wrong. I would be worried as hell and I would want to make sure she didnt have a Brain tumor or something of the sort, but three days to figure out that she has an ear infection? I would have been asking around for doctor bombay. But maybe your wifes situation was a little more comlicated. I dunno.
So back to your question as to what would have happened if you didnt have coverage...? A few things could have happened. They could have denied service and sent you to a county hospital. They could have asked if you for credit cards etc...? Or like most town hospitals, they would welcomed you in and taken it in the ass.
What I dont get is why your complaining when you have insurance that covered you? People seem to think that the health insurance companies are going broke? So, for them to get a 40 grand bill is asking too much? In 1990 I spent a week in Havasu hospital and had two surgeries and the doctor performed miracles saving my arm. I had two insurance policies... the final bill was around 20 grand.. I could care lesss if the doctor and hospital charged them a million. It was worth it. The doctor deserved every cent.
I am now a health care provider... You have no idea what it takes to get a check from a health insurance company. If I miss making my payments to my auto, home, earthquake, life, work comp, disability, liability insurance carrier or im late, I get cancelled. Do you know what happens to the insurance companies when they are late paying me? Nada, zip... nuttin... They get richer.
You said:
"Seriously, I am really curious and want to join the crowd and instead of paying my hard earned cash for medical bills and insurance premiums, rather put the money toward gas in my boat ... do any of you guys and gals know what would happen if I had indeed told them that neither one of us have any social security numbers and are penniless and homeless?"
Paying hard earned cash on medicals bills is a part of life and getting sick. Don't blame the doctors... Doctors are getting paid less. I know, I live it. Has your insurance premiums decreased??? Not hardly... who's maing the money?
Your pointing your finger in the wrong direction... I could go on and on..

EAZYKILLER2006
01-24-2007, 11:22 PM
So, I had to take my wife to emergency room the other day... Thank god, she is OK and it wasn't anything long lasting (ended up being an inner ear infection/vertigo thing)... Any rate, they admitted her and after 4 nights at the hospital and bunch of tests with all the acronyms one can think of (MRI, MRA, EKG, ...), we got the bill...
Would U believe $40K? Thank god [again] that I have insurance through work and they paid most of it... but was wonderin'... does anybody know what would have happened [when the gal in the emergency room pulled me aside and asked to fill out all the insurance paper work], if I had told her that I don't even know her and as far I knew she is homeless and doesn't have any money to pay for emergency room or anything afterwards?
I am just sick and tired of keep paying our premium and being charged a ridiculous amount for hospitalization ($6.00 for a single Tylenol tablet!) for healthcare to pay for the ones that don't have insurance... It is just not fair.
Seriously, I am really curious and want to join the crowd and instead of paying my hard earned cash for medical bills and insurance premiums, rather put the money toward gas in my boat ... do any of you guys and gals know what would happen if I had indeed told them that neither one of us have any social security numbers and are penniless and homeless?
Mike... (The guy who is tired of paying his share but getting shafted because others don't)...
wow! never knew medical coverage was soo high :( i knew it was alot..BUT that is ridiculous! WE ARE REALLY LUCKY we both work for the state of cali...THE STATE OF CALIE COVERS EVERYTHING 100% EVEN medication is 5$ ...and we complain about that... one good thing tho...since we both work for the state, the state pay me 140$ a month for not using my benefits...
any grocery store has really good medical benefits...before we worked for the st of cali... i carried the coverage...i was a checker at the grocery store hughes market.. the grocery stores EVEN covered braces 100%...i ve only had 3 jobs in my life...i worked for a daycare/preschool, (cus i wouldnt leave my kids in the hands of strangers) :sqeyes: the kiddies went to work with me...then i worked at market (HUGHES) cus we needed coverage, and now the state of cali...JUST TRYING TO EXPLAIN WHY I COME OVER SOOO BLONDE...wow I've been with hubby 26 years...no wonder i am such a kook...

BajaMike
01-24-2007, 11:23 PM
I don't get your point....you said the bill was $40,000 for 4 days, and our insurance premiums are too high??? It looks to me like your insurance premiums are a very good deal. How long would you have to pay your premium to total $40,000?? What if your wife was really sick and was in the hospital 100 days....that's $1,000,000, and it happens all the time. Would your premiums now be a good deal???
I think health insurance, at almost any cost, is one of the best deals in America (by the way....I don't sell insurance). People bitch about the cost, but you would rather pay for gas in your boat then insurance?? Most un-insured people in this country don't pay for insurance by choice....and bitch about it, because they think uncle sam should provide. They will pay for beer, cell phones, high speed internet, cable TV and gas for thier boat, insurance for thier boat, and then decline health care insurance because it's "TOO EXPENSIVE"....that's bullshit.
To answer your question, if you don't have any insurance or means to pay, if they can't transfer you to a charity or county hospital, you will get treated just about like any one else. The hospital social services will try to get you signed up for Medi-Cal (in California) or Medi-caid, to get back part of thier money. If you qualify for Medi-Cal, they have to accept that payment as payment in full. If you don't qualify, they will bill you and turn you over to collections if you don't pay.
I wouldn't go a day without health insurance, it's a great deal.:idea:
:eek:

NashvilleBound
01-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Some of the worst offeners are the issurance companies and health providers. The hospitols are just running a business.....a tough biz. For a retarded example of provider idiots...... I was getting a new policy. I filled in my stats....245lbs.. 6'3".... it comes back and they want to rate me cuz Im OBESE. They need me at @205lbs. WTF??? Call after call....offering to come in and let them see me..... ck me out....anything...... Hellloooooooo 9% bf..... I guess i should have lied when appying.
They need to get out of their little box and get a clue.
Dont get me wrong Im not pointing fingers...... but i could go on and on..........

BIGAMIST
01-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Yes, you can walk in to a Hospital/ER with no insurance & get medical attention, it doesn't matter who you're, legal/illegal.......they make you sign a little yellow piece of paper that says you promise to pay, if you don't pay, the State picks up the tab.

EAZYKILLER2006
01-24-2007, 11:37 PM
i get off focus ...lol "like ya all havent noticed";) ...:( but my point was "suppose" to be "get a better job with better benefits"...but... i go on and on ranting...cus I dont want to come over sooo blunt, and sound harsh...BUT THEN NO ONE EVER GETS MY POINT:( .. WELL The grocery buisness (demands or expects) 16 hours a week as a courtesy clerk..and a clerk 20 hrs a week FOR BENEFITS...ya can work them hours on the side, AND KEEP YOUR OTHER JOB...better than any fraud...

moneypit
01-24-2007, 11:38 PM
i get off focus ...lol "like ya all havent noticed";) ...:( but my point was "suppose" to be "get a better job with better benefits"...but... i go on and on ranting...cus I dont want to come over sooo blunt, and sound harsh...BUT THEN NO ONE EVER GETS MY POINT:( .. WELL The grocery buisness (demands or expects) 16 hours a week as a courtesy clerk..and a clerk 20 hrs a week FOR BENEFITS...ya can work them hours on the side, AND KEEP YOUR OTHER JOB...better than any fraud...
I understood you..:D :sqeyes:

BajaMike
01-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Some of the worst offeners are the issurance companies and health providers. The hospitols are just running a business.....a tough biz. For a retarded example of provider idiots...... I was getting a new policy. I filled in my stats....245lbs.. 6'3".... it comes back and they want to rate me cuz Im OBESE. They need me at @205lbs. WTF??? Call after call....offering to come in and let them see me..... ck me out....anything...... Hellloooooooo 9% bf..... I guess i should have lied when appying.
They need to get out of their little box and get a clue.
Dont get me wrong Im not pointing fingers...... but i could go on and on..........
6'3", 245 lbs, 9% body fat, sounds good to me.....wish I had those numbers....that is just bullshit!
:idea:

Scarab Jet
01-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Yes, you can walk in to a Hospital/ER with no insurance & get medical attention, it doesn't matter who you're, legal/illegal.......they make you sign a little yellow piece of paper that says you promise to pay, if you don't pay, the State picks up the tab.
Thanx...
So... What incentive would I have to pay extra for the hospitalization/emergency care converage when I know that I can act dumb and get it for free?

BIGAMIST
01-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Thanx...
So... What incentive would I have to pay extra for the hospitalization/emergency care converage when I know that I can act dumb and get it for free?
Thats up to you.

moneypit
01-24-2007, 11:54 PM
Thanx...
That your familiy just might get treated better and that if they needed a heart, lung, special test, air transport they just might get it.. Ever seen or heard of an HMO vs a PPO. Both have coverage... it just happens that one gets better treatment and they tend to go to the front of the line without waiting.

EAZYKILLER2006
01-25-2007, 12:01 AM
I understood you..:D :sqeyes:
WELL THANK YOU!
:eek: :) hey guys HEAR THAT???:yuk: LOL j/k

Trailer Park Casanova
01-25-2007, 03:14 AM
The State of Cali picks up about $6 millon a month at my wifes hospital, and that's because the hospital gives the state a discount.
It was touched on by Arnold in his last State of the State Speach.
BajaMike is right, Health insurance is the best deal going next to the HotDog and a Beer at the Marlin club in Avalon.
When I was a kid in the 70's, they had no real cancer treatments, no perfected heart surgery,, nothing.
Doctors were just sawbones and a hospital stay was a hundred bucks.
With all these new treatments, the costs have skyrocketed, but ya usually live.
Just a few decades ago if ya got sick ya died.

SmokinLowriderSS
01-25-2007, 03:22 AM
Negative.
Federal Law says it is illegal for a hospital to turn away ANYONE from the emergency room, period, able to pay or not.
The state and feds would pay the hospital the 40-grand, which means taxpayers all would, including you. Now, some of the expensive tests would likely have been worked arround if possible, but she would have been given good medical treatment.

Ultrafied
01-25-2007, 05:43 AM
Negative.
Federal Law says it is illegal for a hospital to turn away ANYONE from the emergency room, period, able to pay or not.
Turn you away ... no. Stabilize you ... yes, and off to County you go if you need more. Hardly getting a battery of tests, trying to determine the cause and cure. Emergency only has to make sure you are going to die immediately.

Trailer Park Casanova
01-25-2007, 05:44 AM
If you're broke, no insurance and cancer is eating you alive, ya don't get turned away from my wifes specialty cancer treatment center.
You get the same treatment as the multi-billonaire in the room next to you if you can pay for it or not.

centerhill condor
01-25-2007, 05:59 AM
I think health insurance, at almost any cost, is one of the best deals in America (by the way....I don't sell insurance). People bitch about the cost, but you would rather pay for gas in your boat then insurance?? Most un-insured people in this country don't pay for insurance by choice....and bitch about it, because they think uncle sam should provide. They will pay for beer, cell phones, high speed internet, cable TV and gas for thier boat, insurance for thier boat, and then decline health care insurance because it's "TOO EXPENSIVE"....that's bullshit.
I wouldn't go a day without health insurance, it's a great deal.:idea:
:eek:
. The hospitols are just running a business.....a tough biz. ......
Negative.
change that one little law and the hospital business becomes much less difficult. imagine someone walks into your company and receives top of the line products/services and then makes you chase them or someone else for the money..hey it happens everyday at the hospital...and we won't even get into the lawyer's part of the medical funding delima.
trying to beat the system simply makes the system work harder to keep up. Good for you the wife is well and didn't have spinal glubenglobula.:)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-25-2007, 06:19 AM
That's exactly what I was thinkin'... what if I did? what would they do? granted she doesn't look Mexican, but I can alway say she is an Illegal Alien from somewhere in Europe or Canada...
If you did that and they didn't treat her, you could cry racism. :)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-25-2007, 06:22 AM
any grocery store has really good medical benefits...
Not any more. That changed with the last contract. It's crap now.

Boatcop
01-25-2007, 06:41 AM
We all pay for the "free" medical care that indigent people receive. There is money from the State and Counties for paying poor folks' medical care, that they can't. But the hospital writes off most of it.
We end up paying more in hospital costs, which is passed on to the insurance companies, and our rates go up. The State or County share causes our taxes to go up.
Hospitals must evaluate anyone who walks into the ER. Even for indigents, life and death are dealt with, treated and, as was said, shipped off to a County health facility. (if one exists) Minor ailments and triaged advised where to go for help.
That's the way it's supposed to work. However, due to malpractice, fail to treat, negligence and other lawsuits, hospitals and Drs. err on the side of caution, and do the entire battery of tests to ensure they they check EVERYTHING possible, so that they don't get sued.
And what usually happens is we hardworking taxpayers end up paying their bill, one way or another.
Congress is trying to pass legislation to reduce limit awards for "pain and suffering" and other provisions on medical lawsuits. (leaving actual damages to court discretion) Juries/judges would no longer be able to give millions because someone claims they were traumatized emotionally.
But that has little chance of passing, since the trial lawyers are steadfastly against it.

LeE ss13
01-25-2007, 07:09 AM
That your familiy just might get treated better and that if they needed a heart, lung, special test, air transport they just might get it.. Ever seen or heard of an HMO vs a PPO. Both have coverage... it just happens that one gets better treatment and they tend to go to the front of the line without waiting.
Actually, that is changing. If you walk into your local ER even with a PPO, and the physician is out of Network, which is what many of them are doing now, the Physician will send you his own bill for services that the insurance company will not pay. They do that because they can charge more for their services that the insurance companies will pay for a specific treatment. The Global bill you get, that is the bill from the hospital, is different from the Professional billing which is coming from the doctor. This is why you get so many different bills after service. Currently, if a Hospital can collect %50 of the bills they send out, they break even. Anything above that is profit. That's why for a 400 bed hospital, they will have a business office with 80 billers and collection staff if they do there own billing.

Mrs.Racer277
01-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Correct-You can not be turned away from any hospital.
No insurance-the hospital will try to get you on Medical
If your insurance co. is contracted with the hospital you took her to then they will probably end up not paying even half that bill, the rest should be written off, after your deductable and copay-or your out of pocket % on the contracted amount only.
MD's are human and practice medicine. Not saying it should take 4 days to diagnosis an ear infection??
I think paying a medical bill so a loved one is no longer ill is a little more important then gas in the boat?.?.?

Mrs.Racer277
01-25-2007, 08:09 AM
Actually, that is changing. If you walk into your local ER even with a PPO, and the physician is out of Network, which is what many of them are doing now, the Physician will send you his own bill for services that the insurance company will not pay. They do that because they can charge more for their services that the insurance companies will pay for a specific treatment. The Global bill you get, that is the bill from the hospital, is different from the Professional billing which is coming from the doctor. This is why you get so many different bills after service. Currently, if a Hospital can collect %50 of the bills they send out, they break even. Anything above that is profit. That's why for a 400 bed hospital, they will have a business office with 80 billers and collection staff if they do there own billing.
That is becuz the physician is not an employee of the hospital but contracted to work for them.....Cuts costs for the hospital....The MD must carry his own malpractice insurance, the hospital does not have to pay benefits to the MD etc etc.

Her454
01-25-2007, 08:31 AM
we both work for the state of cali...
LOL ok, that explains alot.:)

rivergoer
01-25-2007, 09:11 AM
i have great medical ins...i dont pay shiat...not even a copay at any pharmacies......but then again i get put into life threatning situations for long periods of time by our government....i guess they can kick my family and i some good healt benefits.. :D

IGOTSHOTGUN
01-25-2007, 06:26 PM
I know from my experience being an EMT on an ambulance, that when we pick up a homeless person that needs to go to the hospital, it takes a hell of a lot longer to get a room for them... We have to hold up the wall for a few hours sometimes, unless the homeless person is smart and knows the magic password (chest pain).