PDA

View Full Version : G.M. I don't like this.......

PHOTOGLOU
01-25-2007, 09:42 AM
GM considers sale of Allison Transmission
The No. 1 automaker says it is in the process of looking at strategic options for the sale of the subsidiary unit.
January 25 2007: 11:59 AM EST
DETROIT (Reuters) -- In an effort to boost liquidity, General Motors Corp. Thursday said it is considering strategic options for subsidiary Allison Transmission, including a possible sale.
The world's largest automaker, which lost $10.6 billion in 2005 and about $3 billion in the first three quarters of 2006, is in the middle of a restructuring effort that focuses on cutting costs and improving cash flow.
Shares of GM (up $0.49 to $33.23, Charts) rose 1.5 percent in early trading on the New York Stock Exchange.
"This process is another potential step in GM's plan to improve liquidity through the assessment of strategic options for a business that is not central to GM's mission of designing, manufacturing and selling cars and light trucks globally," GM said in a statement.
Indianapolis-based Allison makes transmissions and hybrid propulsion systems for commercial trucks and buses and military vehicles. It employs more than 4,000 workers.
GM slashed more than 34,000 jobs in 2006 and plans to close 12 North American plants through 2008.
GM and DaimlerChrysler's (down $1.65 to $63.17, Charts) Chrysler Group are expected to post losses in the fourth quarter. Troubled automaker Ford (up $0.17 to $8.37, Charts) posted a record annual loss in company history Thursday.

Daytona100
01-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Wonder what there going to replace it with?

PHOTOGLOU
01-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Wonder what there going to replace it with?
I don't think the silverado will be without the Allison but I worry that if GM sells Allison we (gm) will lose our edge on having the best transmission out there..... IMOA or if I bought Allison I would market it to anyone who was willing to pay for it IE... Ford or Dodge

Jordy
01-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Makes it rather exciting when you work for the Allison Transmission dealer too!!! Couple that with Detroit Diesel being bought out by the German company MTU and there are a few people who are losing sleep at night when they think about the future of our business. :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

spectras only
01-25-2007, 05:27 PM
I think it has been sold already :idea:
Allison Transmission is the world's largest producer of automatic transmissions for medium and heavy-duty trucks, buses and specialty vehicles. The company is working with Chinese original equipment makers and end users to upgrade the quality of their medium and heavy commercial vehicles. In May 2005, Allison Transmission's first product customization center in the Asia Pacific region opened in Shanghai.

Trailer Park Casanova
01-27-2007, 11:03 AM
The Allison is GM's biggest driveline asset.
Instead of selling, they should consider expanding different versions of Allisons to their other lines.
Allison is the main reason we buy GM exclusively for our tow vech.'s. If everybody else offers Allison then we'll consider everybody else too.
I don't think they know what they got. Quality and an awesome product image.
With Toyota breathing down their necks why would GM kill the golden goose?
Toyota has an awsum, proven Borg Warner 6 speed auto they're starting to brag about,, and that could be part of what helps tip the scale to their advantage.

Baja Big Dog
01-27-2007, 02:32 PM
The trans if the only thing worth a shit on a chevy!

v-drive
02-07-2007, 03:24 AM
I think the allison Transmission is why GM has seen the surge in truck sales.
v-drive

sangervdrive
02-07-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm a diehard chevy guy but it nearly makes me cry when I read that stuff about Ford (last paragraph).

j442w30
02-07-2007, 01:34 PM
I think that would be a terrible business decision by GM, it may help them in the short term but would not be good for long term truck sales which are keeping them alive. They never should have sold Detroit Diesel or GMAC but right now they are not thinking ahead just staying afloat. The duramax/allison combo is proabably the best matched engine and automatic transmission among domestic automakers. Its sad whats happening to ford and gm but its nobodys fault but theirs. On the other hand I would like to see all these japanese and korean companies try to make their cars in the US and contend with UAW, pay benefits for several million retirees and grapple with health care costs. I know Hyundai and Toyota have some plants here but obviously not the the degree of the domestic companies. European cars are too expensive and have way too many electronic gizmos to fail for me and japanese cars are way too boring. I'm sticking with GM or Ford, nobody else makes a V8 like them.

hoolign
02-07-2007, 02:53 PM
The trans if the only thing worth a shit on a chevy!
Can't afford one huh? maybe Jay can hook you up with a sales job to up your opportunities:idea: