PDA

View Full Version : polyester resin over vinylester resin

holorinhal
01-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Can You laminate with polyester resin over fresh vinylester resin,without any complications.
I have some vinylester laminating resin left and a couple gallons of polyester,and am going to glass in the intake hole prior to doing a setback pump.
I wanted to start out with the vinylester laminating resin and finnish with the polly,if there are no ill effects!
Any thoughts on this from the glass guru's would be appreciated....Hal

Kurtis500
01-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Can You laminate with polyester resin over fresh vinylester resin,without any complications.
I have some vinylester laminating resin left and a couple gallons of polyester,and am going to glass in the intake hole prior to doing a setback pump.
I wanted to start out with the vinylester laminating resin and finnish with the polly,if there are no ill effects!
Any thoughts on this from the glass guru's would be appreciated....Hal
No, for what you are doing there wont be a problem. The two are styrene based chemicals and crosslink in similar fashions. The best bonds are always primary laminations, secondary bonds are just secondary. You stand a better chance of problems from improper application rather than differing CTE's and etc.

jimslade
02-12-2007, 06:29 PM
You won't have problems as long as the vinylester is fully cured. If you try to layup wet on wet you will have major problems. The chemical reaction between the curing of vinylester on the poly may set up a barrier effect and will delaminate.
Vinylester is a long chain carbon molecule, whereas the poly is a short chain molecule. Prepromoted vinyester resin will not mix with standard poly resin,

ACE Marine
03-10-2007, 07:48 PM
I would try and stay with the V resin if possible and make sure that it is fully cured before cutting the new hole. I have found that the V resin and X-mat works the best together for a secondary bond. :D

Xlration Marine
03-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Like jim said. Years ago when ame 4000 was coming out most builders just used it in the skin, in hopes to get rid of blistering. And then they would use the other less expensive stuff. Scuff it good with some 24-36 grit.

DUCKY
03-13-2007, 09:12 PM
I also agree. No real problems if the vinylester is well cured and properly prepped. For the highest strength in a secondary bond, I would use epoxy, but that doesn't seem necessary in your application.