PDA

View Full Version : Selling a Used Car in California

Mardonzi
01-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Is there anything specific I need to do in order to sell a used car in California (such as have an emissions test or saftey inspection done prior to selling it)?
The car is and has been registered in AZ but there isn't much of a market for used Lexus's in the Page/ Lake Powell area so I figured I would bring it down here to work and sell it.

AzLakeLizard
01-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Is there anything specific I need to do in order to sell a used car in California (such as have an emissions test or saftey inspection done prior to selling it)?
The car is and has been registered in AZ but there isn't much of a market for used Lexus's in the Page/ Lake Powell area so I figured I would bring it down here to work and sell it.
This a bump for my car and my husband who is in cali working!:D

OCMerrill
01-25-2007, 05:03 PM
My father bought a Suburban a few years back form Utah. Brought it home, smog it, pay the sales tax, done.
I don't think its a big deal as long as it passes smog.

DMOORE
01-25-2007, 05:08 PM
Go have it smogged in CA. Tell them at the time you are selling it. The smog will then be good for 90 days. Then put it in the trader . Thats it. A lexus should be pretty easy to sell.
Darrell.

HocusPocus
01-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Go have it smogged in CA. Tell them at the time you are selling it. The smog will then be good for 90 days. Then put it in the trader . Thats it. A lexus should be pretty easy to sell.
Darrell.
i agree, it will be much easier to sell in CA if its currently registered and smogged there.

Ziggy
01-25-2007, 07:12 PM
You will also need whats called a Verification on top of the smog inspection since its got an out of state title. You can get them done for free at the DMV, or I think the CHP does 'em too but usually on specific days.
Or, if you are close enough to Oceanside(I know you've been near ValleyCenter lately) look me up and my wife can do it for you.
Its nothing big, its just a matter of verifying the VIN and emmission labels under the hood.

Mardonzi
01-26-2007, 06:51 AM
You will also need whats called a Verification on top of the smog inspection since its got an out of state title. You can get them done for free at the DMV, or I think the CHP does 'em too but usually on specific days.
Or, if you are close enough to Oceanside(I know you've been near ValleyCenter lately) look me up and my wife can do it for you.
Its nothing big, its just a matter of verifying the VIN and emmission labels under the hood.
Thanks,, Check your PM's..

2Driver
01-26-2007, 07:07 AM
it was made as a "50" state compliant vehicle. I believe all Lexus's are just not sure as some manufactures are not. It will say either 49 or 50 state compliant on a sticker under the hood. If "49" forget it.
What are you selling?

Sleek-Jet
01-26-2007, 07:14 AM
I'd think some Navajo would look fantastic in a Lexus... with it all covered in red mud from being out at Navajo Mountain all week... slowly driving into page to go to Wal Mart and the chinese food restaurant... :D
I say sell it in Page... :idea:

DMOORE
01-26-2007, 12:09 PM
it was made as a "50" state compliant vehicle. I believe all Lexus's are just not sure as some manufactures are not. It will say either 49 or 50 state compliant on a sticker under the hood. If "49" forget it.
What are you selling?
50 state compliance does not affect a vehicle as long as it is used and has over 7500MI on the odometer. Not to worry.
Darrell.

AzLakeLizard
01-26-2007, 03:10 PM
I'd think some Navajo would look fantastic in a Lexus... with it all covered in red mud from being out at Navajo Mountain all week... slowly driving into page to go to Wal Mart and the chinese food restaurant... :D
I say sell it in Page... :idea:
Oh my gawd.. i just spit my beer all over the computer screen..lol:devil:

Ziggy
01-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Oh my gawd.. i just spit my beer all over the computer screen..lol:devil:
That can't be good........... :)