PDA

View Full Version : Hoover Dam Bypass

burtandnancy2
01-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Just heard on the news, and confirmed on their web site, that delays in construction, some caused by the cranes falling down last September in the wind, have caused a new completion date of 2010. Thats too bad for a lot of us who had planned more trips to Willow Beach and Temple Bar, as well as the new home developments out on 93. I've been driving over the dam for 40+ years and its getting worse every trip. This is not very good news...

HALLETT BOY
01-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Saw a piece about the bridge build on one of the learning channels, unbelievable
amount of work involved !

Ziggy
01-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Saw a piece about the bridge build on one of the learning channels, unbelievable
amount of work involved !
That was on Discovery, Mega builders I think.
I'd be pooping in my shorts if on a tower that high with it swaying a foot or two be design while trying to string up 3 inch cables.

plaster dave
01-25-2007, 04:12 PM
I'd be pooping in my shorts if on a tower that high with it swaying a foot or two be design while trying to string up 3 inch cables.
I second that.

Not So Fast
01-25-2007, 05:35 PM
They said at one point one of the towers (which can be adjusted) was out of plumb by 15 feet:jawdrop: Not me, no way Jose. NSF

Tequila-John
01-25-2007, 05:38 PM
pretty cool build

buzzaro
01-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Its pretty crazy and takes time, but you do get used it.

Jrocket
01-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Its pretty crazy and takes time, but you do get used it.
You work on towers?

Ziggy
01-25-2007, 06:55 PM
They said at one point one of the towers (which can be adjusted) was out of plumb by 15 feet:jawdrop: Not me, no way Jose. NSF
I saw that and about pooped on those guys' behalf........thats gnarley.
I suppose Buzzaro has a point though, its a matter of acclimation.........but still :eek:

Racey
01-25-2007, 08:12 PM
i Think they sabotaged the towers themselves cause there was no way they were gonna finish by 2008... :D :D :D

Trailer Park Casanova
01-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Iron Workers union.
Just walking out to their work area needs huevos let alone doing your job duties.
They keep personal accidents pretty quiet. Dangerous work.
You have to really have a head for heights, and a hell of a sense of ballance, and a good work ethic to make it in those ranks.

SmokinLowriderSS
01-26-2007, 04:00 AM
Yea, Ironworkers are hard-core "The Shi+". Some things haven't changed.
They do some amazing work, in some amazing places.

buzzaro
01-26-2007, 05:59 AM
You work on towers?
Worked on bridges and buildings, Ironworkers.

buzzaro
01-26-2007, 06:03 AM
I saw that and about pooped on those guys' behalf........thats gnarley.
I suppose Buzzaro has a point though, its a matter of acclimation.........but still :eek:
Yeah, i can still remember the first I walked the steel. You never really think that vertigo is real and some pussy is making up bullshit and then you step up there and out onto some little beam about 3" wide 100' feet up and you change your mind. For me perspective got all screwed up and I got dizzy, I tried to reach back to grab a rail that was only 3' away and completely missed with my hand. Then fast forward a couple years and you do that same thing hundred times daily thinking nothing of it and even tying off (with a safety harness) becomes a pain in the ass.

STV_Keith
01-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Other than a little backup (the worst I've been in was 45 minutes), the dam isn't so bad. I still go to Willow a lot. Probably going tomorrow and Sunday. But, if you want to stay home or go to Mead, go for it...smoother water for me! :D

Ion
01-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Just heard on the news, and confirmed on their web site, that delays in construction, some caused by the cranes falling down last September in the wind, have caused a new completion date of 2010. Thats too bad for a lot of us who had planned more trips to Willow Beach and Temple Bar, as well as the new home developments out on 93. I've been driving over the dam for 40+ years and its getting worse every trip. This is not very good news...
That's surely going to gum up the works for investment properties in Dolan Springs, White Hills, etc.

dirty old man
01-26-2007, 10:39 AM
dam, was looking at a place in Meadview