PDA

View Full Version : Question for LEO's

stoker
01-25-2007, 06:21 PM
What is the penalty for having false plates on a car?

Moneypitt
01-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Usually at least an impound hassle, but it could also lead to criminal charges. It depends on the circumstances, fraud, or error. Error would be someone got plates for two cars from the DMV, and accidently switched them. Not likely, so revert back to the other choice, fraud. What was the purpose of the fraud? Is the car in fact stolen? I would say if a CHP officer found the wrong plates on a car the car is definatly headed to the impound until the paperwork and ownership can be established.........and verified......And then the charges could be filed against the person in possession of the vehicle, regardless if they attached the plates or not.........Then it would be up to the courts to establish the guilt or ?????.........MP

Jordy
01-25-2007, 06:43 PM
How about some more details???? And if you're speaking of a position you're in, you might want to pull the links to your business out of your siggy!!! :D :D :D

uvindex
01-25-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm not a LEO.
You didn't specify the state (it can vary by state).
Here's one answer for CA (depending on the circumstances):
4463. (a) Every person who, with intent to prejudice, damage, or
defraud, commits any of the following acts is guilty of a felony and
upon conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment in the
state prison for 16 months, two or three years, or by imprisonment in
the county jail for not more than one year:
(1) Alters, forges, counterfeits, or falsifies any certificate of
ownership, registration card, certificate, license, license plate,
device issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or permit
provided for by this code or any comparable certificate of ownership,
registration card, certificate, license, license plate, device
comparable to that issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or
permit provided for by any foreign jurisdiction, or alters, forges,
counterfeits, or falsifies the document, device, or plate with intent
to represent it as issued by the department, or alters, forges,
counterfeits, or falsifies with fraudulent intent any endorsement of
transfer on a certificate of ownership or other document evidencing
ownership, or with fraudulent intent displays or causes or permits to
be displayed or have in his or her possession any blank, incomplete,
canceled, suspended, revoked, altered, forged, counterfeit, or false
certificate of ownership, registration card, certificate, license,
license plate, device issued pursuant to Section 4853, s

stoker
01-25-2007, 06:51 PM
The plates are CA and show that it is registered as an older volkwagon. I ran the vin through carfax and it says it was purchased in Illinois from a rental car company.

uvindex
01-25-2007, 06:54 PM
The plates are CA and show that it is registered as an older volkwagon. I ran the vin through carfax and it says it was purchased in Illinois from a rental car company.Did you check the registration? It has the tag number printed on it. Does the tag number on the registration match the one that's on the car?

stoker
01-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Did you check the registration? It has the tag number printed on it. Does the tag number on the registration match the one that's on the car?
I don't have access to the registration. Would the numbers on the tag itself have to match the vin #?

uvindex
01-25-2007, 07:14 PM
I don't have access to the registration. Would the numbers on the tag itself have to match the vin #?No. The tag number and VIN don't have anything to do with each other.

Boatcop
01-25-2007, 08:26 PM
In AZ we call it "Fictitious Plates". That applies if the plates don't match the vehicle or if the "tab" (the year sticker) doesn't match the plate. People sometimes put tabs from other vehicles on expired plates, to keep from getting stopped for the expired tags.
Over here it's a class 2 misdmeanor. Vehicle is impounded (can't be released until proof of ownership, current registration, insurance is shown) And an automatic trip to jail.
Fines up to $2,500 and 6 months in jail.

Riomouse911
01-25-2007, 09:30 PM
That stuff happens on occasion, especially with out-of-state private party sales. Always a good idea to check the car through Carfax and see if any other sneaky things happened to the car that were reported.
I'd dash down to DMV and straighten it out before you're trading your V-dub for a "shevy".... shevin' one foot in front of the other to the bus stop for a ride home. All this of course while your car gets a free tow truck ride to the impound lot, and you get a ticket to explain it all to the traffic Judge. :mad: No fun.

C-2
01-25-2007, 09:50 PM
You have access to the plate and vin? What are you trying to determine? What number matches the vehicle type?

Moneypitt
01-25-2007, 09:55 PM
You have access to the plate and vin? What are you trying to determine? What number matches the vehicle type?
I think he is trying to determine if that plate, belongs on that car. The only way to find out is to match the VIN to that plate number through the title and/or registration............I think........Or he is trying to find out if the seller is a crook or not..........Kinda the same info needed........MP

C-2
01-25-2007, 10:06 PM
I saw his other post too - if he posts up some info I can probably help.

Beer-30
01-26-2007, 05:09 AM
Could check it with VIN-Assist. At least it wouldn't be misusing CLETS.

HM
01-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Ask RiverKitty...didn't she get nailed for this exact thing on her way to a party in CA? If I remember right...the car got impounded.

Liberator TJ1984
01-26-2007, 08:21 AM
If your an Illegal , no problem , they can't touch you :D

HM
01-26-2007, 08:24 AM
If your an Illegal , no problem , they can't touch you :D
no speaky eeenglase? :D

centerhill condor
01-26-2007, 10:45 AM
no speaky eeenglase? :D
they learn real quick like when the cuffs are on the wrist.;)