PDA

View Full Version : Rhinolining for boats?

Konabrent
01-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Since we all know that a rough surface is faster than a smooth surface, has anyone rhinolined the running surface of their boat? Will it stay on if the boat is not left in the water for long periods? Will it disrupt flow to the pump intake?
The bed of my truck is pretty much impervious to anything....just a thought

blown dough
01-25-2007, 08:05 PM
What the Hall??????????????

yopengo
01-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Oh crap I thought this was another rhino thread.:hammer2:

bchbum
01-25-2007, 08:10 PM
We used it on one of our work boats , not for speed but for durability of the hull. With the ruff use it got the liner cracked & had cuts below the waterline . We started having leaks after a few years , from many pin holes in the hull. This was in saltwater 24 7 .

Racey
01-25-2007, 08:11 PM
I think the rough surface only goes so far before it actually starts to hinder performance

Mandelon
01-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Since we all know that a rough surface is faster than a smooth surface, has anyone rhinolined the running surface of their boat? Will it stay on if the boat is not left in the water for long periods? Will it disrupt flow to the pump intake?
The bed of my truck is pretty much impervious to anything....just a thought
Rough up to a point. They don't clean the barnacles off the hull to slow the ships down.....
Maybe a competition finish like on a surfboard, but I don't think the same roughness of a rhino liner on the outside of hull would be faster than standard gel.
I mean if it was better, it would already be on the Trident! :D

plaster dave
01-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Rough up to a point. They don't clean the barnacles off the hull to slow the ships down.....
Maybe a competition finish like on a surfboard, but I don't think the same roughness of a rhino liner on the outside of hull would be faster than standard gel.
That is great.

73kona455
01-26-2007, 05:54 AM
would make it tough if u had to do repairs to the hull at a later date:eek:

Froggystyle
01-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Exactly! ;)
We actually did some research into doing a dimpled "golf ball" bottom on the back third, but we figured that it would be tougher to clean and with the steps ahead of it, might not have the desired effect.
We talked about it with the hull designer though. Apparently, there is so much aeration already that it wouldn't make a difference.
It does make a difference on performance kayaks and racing canoes though. They have a special finish for helping them go through glass water with one paddle fast.