PDA

View Full Version : AWD vs. 4WD

Arkansas
01-26-2007, 02:27 PM
AWD vs. 4WD
Is there much difference in the weight of the actual hardware involved...
Drove an 07 4WD Avalanche and it felt kinda front heavy. Would there be much difference in the feel of the two. I dont have a need for 4WD but I think the AWD would be nice to have. Thoughts?

jungledave
01-26-2007, 02:58 PM
AWD vs. 4WD
Is there much difference in the weight of the actual hardware involved...
Drove an 07 4WD Avalanche and it felt kinda front heavy. Would there be much difference in the feel of the two. I dont have a need for 4WD but I think the AWD would be nice to have. Thoughts?If you go with the AWD you will have both an AWD and a 4wd. The AWD should have the capability to be put into 4 high. If your avalanch you are looking at has the 242 transfer case you will have AWD, 4 hi and 4 low. Backing a boat up in 4 low into a tight spot is real nice! An AWD only weighs about 20 more pounds than a 4wd because of the differential built into the t-case. Chevys feel front heavy because of long leaf setup in the rear wich causes them to sit so high in the rear compared to the front but you can crank up the torsion bars in the front and level the truck. There will be no difference in the feelingbetween the two other than you will like the AWD around corners and on gravel roads. There will be no milleage loss in a awd because chevys and dodges spin the front driveshafts all the time on their 4wds. I have owned a subaru wrx sti awd a dodge dalota awd and currently own a grand cherokee awd and a Dodge mage cab 4x4. The grand cherokee is pretty tough to beat in the snow. I have a tough time keeping up with my wife in her jeep when racing in the snow with my dodge. If you have a choice between a 2wd an AWD or 4wd go with the AWD you will never look back.

PHOTOGLOU
01-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Couldn't have said it better...... Although I think the AWD gets 1 mpg worse mileage I AM NOT sure though.....

Trailer Park Casanova
01-29-2007, 06:10 AM
Isn't the mechanical difference a viscous coupling added to the driveline?

PHOTOGLOU
01-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Isn't the mechanical difference a viscous coupling added to the driveline?
????? I will ask my service guys this in the morning

TRUMP TIGHT
02-04-2007, 02:05 PM
????? I will ask my service guys this in the morning
What did they say?