PDA

View Full Version : Optima batteries

ramsfan
01-27-2007, 09:48 AM
for Side by sides /UTV
who uses what ? I am wondering as I need one for my Ride and need something that is able to run HID lights and winch plus other accessories plus the normal battery stuff.
Basicly what are my best options as far as
1. red top
2. yellow top
3. blue top
and also what type/ size
1. 34/78 dual terminal
2. 75/25 dual terminal
3. 34 top post
4. 35 reverse terminal
5. 34 deep cycle
6. 31 deep cycle
there are a few others but I really need what is the best all aroun battery especially for riding the real ruff trails and haveing plenty of power to run a winch and lights as needed
any help will be appritiated
Thanks,
Scott

Jesster
01-27-2007, 10:17 AM
A cut and paste from Optimas web site.
Blue Top Type: D34M / D31M
These batteries are dual purpose. They are designed for engine starting and deep cycling applications and for use in vehicles with large accessory loads.
Size will depend on what you can get in your aplication.

TexasJet
01-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Do a search on this site for Optima batteries. This topic has been discussed many many times.:)

Hallett19
01-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Dont waste your money on Optimas, they are the worst battery on the market, go Trojan. I have had 2 Optimas, both died early deaths.....they are garbage:rolleyes:

Baja Big Dog
01-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Dont waste your money on Optimas, they are the worst battery on the market, go Trojan. I have had 2 Optimas, both died early deaths.....they are garbage:rolleyes:
Amen, I think were the only guys that have shit luck optima's, or no one else will jump off the bandwagon and admint they are shit.

SOCALDETAIL1
01-27-2007, 12:35 PM
I have had an Optima in my truck for 3 yrs now no problum, I recently put a Kinetik in my hot rod it has alot of juice.

Jetaholic
01-27-2007, 01:21 PM
...go Trojan.
Ribbed...for her pleasure...

RitcheyRch
01-27-2007, 03:48 PM
I think most people have problems with Optimas when they overcharge them.

Jesster
01-27-2007, 04:40 PM
I think most people have problems with Optimas when they overcharge them.
I believe you have hit the nail on the head. Most of the problems I have heard with them stem from incorrect charging. That said any of the non vented sealed batteries need to be charged correctly so anyone buying one should include the cost of a quality charger and expect 5-7 years out of them. I personally use Odyssey but charged correctly I think they are all good batteries.

RitcheyRch
01-27-2007, 04:47 PM
They now have batterry chargers specifically for Optima type batteries. I bought a few Ctek battery chargers that are recommended by Optima.
http://www.ctek.com/us/home.asp
I believe you have hit the nail on the head. Most of the problems I have heard with them stem from incorrect charging. That said any of the non vented sealed batteries need to be charged correctly so anyone buying one should include the cost of a quality charger and expect 5-7 years out of them. I personally use Odyssey but charged correctly I think they are all good batteries.

ramsfan
01-27-2007, 10:21 PM
They now have batterry chargers specifically for Optima type batteries. I bought a few Ctek battery chargers that are recommended by Optima.
http://www.ctek.com/us/home.asp
looks like a handy setup I might be looking for that as well as a battery or two :)

Beer-30
01-27-2007, 10:26 PM
This sure cure your ills and it even comes with it's own base, cover, and connecting cable(s).
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/tf1800_post_adapter_page.asp

Forkin' Crazy
01-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Mine's 3+ years old. I only charge it with a low amp charger and don't let the volts get over 13.5. I have an Orbital, and it seems to be good so far too. Now I have them in both of my trucks. Say good bye to all that corrosion around the battery compartment.

Wicked Performance Boats
01-28-2007, 08:20 AM
First Optima lasted 8 yrs, 2nd 8 yrs, third 3 yrs so far. Great batteries. Just charge them correctly and don't let them sit hooked up for long storage. Budlight

RitcheyRch
01-28-2007, 08:38 AM
They are nice chargers. I think I paid about $75 each for them.
looks like a handy setup I might be looking for that as well as a battery or two :)

ramsfan
01-29-2007, 09:03 PM
well I went with the odssey 2150 because the guy spent an hour on the phone with me and answered all my questions and helped me decide what fits my needs the best as I tend to find the black mud alot where I ride it can swallow a dozer if you dont watch yourself. so I told him the amp used when at max pull rating for say 10-15 mins. and he looked through and figured which one would help me the most.
2150s or 2150 mjs
http://www.odysseyfactory.com/documents/US-ODY-31-003_1206.pdf

Ultrafied
01-29-2007, 09:21 PM
I have to agree with Ramsfan, Odyssey. I've run them in my SeaDoos forever. I use the 925l in the Ranger. Never even used the stock battery except to load it on the trailer.
The only thing is that you should research a battery charger for the Odyssey. They don't like a cheap one. The shelf life for these batteries is extremely good.

Zaairman
01-29-2007, 09:47 PM
If you're going to be running a winch and such, I'd say Yellow Top all the way. I've got a Red Top in the F-150, and it's great. Plenty of juice to listen to music for 3 hours, and start the truck just fine. And that's pushing a 1000 watt sound system.

dumbandyoung
01-30-2007, 09:32 AM
I had to Optimas... they didnt last very long. But i did run them dead all the time from leaving the stereo on or lights. :D

ramsfan
01-30-2007, 09:59 PM
I have to agree with Ramsfan, Odyssey. I've run them in my SeaDoos forever. I use the 925l in the Ranger. Never even used the stock battery except to load it on the trailer.
The only thing is that you should research a battery charger for the Odyssey. They don't like a cheap one. The shelf life for these batteries is extremely good.
I am also getting the charger that was made for that specific battery and the dealer said if I plug it in after every ride I should have the battery for up to 12 years.

ramsfan
01-30-2007, 10:01 PM
If you're going to be running a winch and such, I'd say Yellow Top all the way. I've got a Red Top in the F-150, and it's great. Plenty of juice to listen to music for 3 hours, and start the truck just fine. And that's pushing a 1000 watt sound system.
well the problem I ran into on the ranger is it only has a 250 watt stator not an alternator like a vehicle so it cant keep up with a high demand of amps so that is why we went with the 2150 instead of the smaller odyssey batteries