PDA

View Full Version : Just got home from the Turlock Swap Meet

Flyinbowtie
01-27-2007, 08:01 PM
A couple of buddies called late last night and conned me in to getting up at o'dark-thirty this morning for a 2/12 hour ride down to lovely Turlock, Ca., for the famous Hot Rod swap meet.
Some decent cars, some way out of my league, and miles and miles of parts.
It is no doubt the biggest car stuff swap meet I've ever seen. At least twice as big as the Pleasonton Meet, simply huge. I'm fairly sure we didn't see it all, and we started at 0830 and walked out at about 5pm.
I have never seen as many tunnel ram manifolds in one place. An honest guess would be in excess of 100. Hot rod parts for everything from a Model A engine to marine exhaust manifolds for a Caddy 500. Probably a 1000 Stromberg 97 cores, more Holley cores than I've ever seen in one place.
At least 50 various Schwinn Stingray bikes. (Got some leads on parts for my '63)
At least 15 Honda Mini-trail 70's and 90's. Steering columns, steering boxes, 1/4 midget racers from the 40's-50's, stuff as far as the eye could see.
Lots of garage art, old gas pump stuff, (more leads for parts for my visible pump) and probably 75-100 cars in the car corral. Some nice, some rough, some in the middle, prices from mild to wild.
A '34 5-window, rough but all steel, $30k, a nice little entry level '31 5 window, 327/TH-350, all steel but in need of some help, $22k.
A fun day, my feet are killing me. If you need a used tunnel ram, or a multi-carb manifold for an oddball engine, this is the place to go.
I was good. I only spent a couple hundred bucks, but leads to spend a lot more.:D

Eliminator 4 Life
01-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the call we could have got a beer. But yes that is a hell of a walk there..

Flyinbowtie
01-27-2007, 08:38 PM
I am sorry, if I had thought for a moment, we would have.:mad:
I KNEW somebody from on here was a T-Town person.
I might be back down that way in a month or so to p/u some parts...
I'll pm ya my cell.....

david_396
01-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Just got home myself. Lots of cars, though I think people selling cars thought they were at the Barrett-Jackson auction. Saw a unrestored 40 ford convertible with a sold sign on it that had a price of $39,000? %&*#^ .
Did score a few deals though:
Dooley v-drive pan $50
NOS complete setup $50 with a full bottle
Fishing reels $20
trailer jack $10
still working on a deal for a set of vortec heads with 24k miles on them from a buddy. He's askin $250 trying to get them for $200.
A few friends and I have had a booth there for years in the covered barn area. Got there this morning a 5:45 am. Was nice being undercover while the rain fell. Ate lots of food that we BBQed. 10 dozen oysters, beer, 15 lbs of bacon, Carne asada,beer, linguisa sausage, home made Italian sausage, Hot Damn snops, hot dogs, brownies, home made Italian Pizza and a few more beers.