PDA

View Full Version : L.A. County Fire To Test for Firefighter.....

HavasuSelect
01-28-2007, 09:51 PM
The exam is opening again. I know there's a few others on here (besides myself) that will be trying. Good luck to everyone.
http://www.lacofd.org/HelpWanted/BeAFirefighter.asp

Baja Big Dog
01-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Mucho lucko, hope your last name ends with a "Z"

4DAY4PLAY
01-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Mucho lucko, hope your last name ends with a "Z"
Right on bro, in the fire service we call you one of "those" guys that wasnt smart enough to pass the basic aptitude test so you never got hired, it wasnt cause of your last name or skin color. Im white and so are 115 out of 130 males (0 females) that i work with......and we had no problem getting hired.....stop making excuses, you just werent good enough.

SHOTKALLIN
01-29-2007, 12:49 PM
whats the age cut off?

BRSTQUEST
01-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Don't do it,,,,,Don't do it!!!!!!!
They will make you eat dog food and then they tape you to a park bench and shave your junk!!!!!!! I saw it on TV, its real

SHOTKALLIN
01-29-2007, 12:56 PM
its cool I will just throw in the racecard and buy a house in the keys and a Nortech.:D

Tom Brown
01-29-2007, 12:58 PM
What kind of test do you have to take to be a firefighter?
Do they give you a gassy rag, a pack of matches, and a straw broom and say go at it?

Jbb
01-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Do they give you a gassy rag, a pack of matches, and a straw broom and say go at it?
Im pretty sure you have earned yourself a night in the box for that crack....Brown

SHOTKALLIN
01-29-2007, 01:02 PM
lol...no they give you a can of turtle wax and chrome polish. then they give you 20 mins to shine the truck.

SHOTKALLIN
01-29-2007, 01:03 PM
How do they keep those trucks so damn clean?

Tom Brown
01-29-2007, 01:06 PM
How do they keep those trucks so damn clean?
I always assumed they got illegals to do it while they sat in the firehouse, smoked cigars, and played gin rummy.

Jbb
01-29-2007, 01:21 PM
I always assumed they got illegals to do it while they sat in the firehouse, smoked cigars, and played gin rummy.
:D :D :D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
01-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Geez people....:rolleyes: :D
Good luck to you HavasuSelect! :)

little rowe boat
01-29-2007, 01:30 PM
A written test, that usually consists of mechanical aptitude, reading comprehension and sometimes spelling and grammar.
A physical agility.
Then an interview.

LAFD
01-29-2007, 02:04 PM
A written test, that usually consists of mechanical aptitude, reading comprehension and sometimes spelling and grammar.
A physical agility.
Then an interview.
interest card
cpat (physical ability test)
written test
interview
backround investigation
phycological exam
medical exam
drill tower

YeLLowBoaT
01-29-2007, 02:08 PM
interest card
written test
interview
backround investigation
phycological exam
medical exam
drill tower
Must think hazing is a good thing. Even when it crosses the line in criminality.

little rowe boat
01-29-2007, 02:09 PM
interest card
written test
interview
Only if you are getting the job.
backround investigation
phycological exam
medical exam
drill tower
Good luck to all the candidates.

LAFD
01-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Must think hazing is a good thing. Even when it crosses the line in criminality.
this makes no sense to me.

LAFD
01-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Good luck to all the candidates.
i was just telling them what the process will be. but yeah you have to pass the written test and the interview. with city they base you off the interview rank you on the list.

little rowe boat
01-29-2007, 02:11 PM
He has a prob. with hazing in the fire service. YB. made his objections about the dog food incident with LAFD. well known on a thread a few months back.

YeLLowBoaT
01-29-2007, 02:14 PM
There was a thread awhile back...

CBadDad
01-29-2007, 02:15 PM
When are they taking aps for lateral transfer FF/PM?
Where can I find the pay scale?

BRSTQUEST
01-29-2007, 02:16 PM
I thought it was great when homeboy was about to cry and said how he was degraded and forced to do such subhuman acts,,,,,,then comes out the video of him doing it to other probies!!!! Lesson learned here boys;
NEVER, EVER BRING CAMERAS TO BACHELOR PARTIES, HAZING OR SEX BECAUSE IT WILL ALWAYS COME BACK TO BITE YOU IN THE ASS!!!!!!
Glad to see LA denied the claim

YeLLowBoaT
01-29-2007, 02:17 PM
He has a prob. with hazing in the fire service.
no I have a prob with Anyone hazing to the point of criminality and putting the public/firemen in danger by fooking with some ones gear.
hazing is giving the new guy the shit jobs and send them off looking for things that don't exist, etc. not straiping some one down covering them is crap and shoving a hose down thier throat.

little rowe boat
01-29-2007, 02:20 PM
no I have a prob with Anyone hazing to the point of criminality and putting the public/firemen in danger by fooking with some ones gear.
Safety gear is off limits.
This thread is about La. county testing for ff. Lets not hijack it with this hazing talk.

76elimspecial
01-29-2007, 02:21 PM
THIS HIRING IS SUPPOSED TO BE %100 BASED ON ORAL INTERVIEW SCORES. THE WRITTEN IS PASS / FAIL TO GET THROUGH TO THE ORALS. THEY WERENT HAPPY WITH THE OUTCOME OF THE LAST TEST SO THEY ARE TRYING IT A NEW WAY. SO IT SHOULD BE A GOOD TEST FOR ANYONE WITH EXPERIENCE.

little rowe boat
01-29-2007, 02:24 PM
THIS HIRING IS SUPPOSED TO BE %100 BASED ON ORAL INTERVIEW SCORES. THE WRITTEN IS PASS / FAIL TO GET THROUGH TO THE ORALS. THEY WERENT HAPPY WITH THE OUTCOME OF THE LAST TEST SO THEY ARE TRYING IT A NEW WAY. SO IT SHOULD BE A GOOD TEST FOR ANYONE WITH EXPERIENCE.
If I was 10 yrs. younger I would give it a shot.

UnionJack
01-29-2007, 04:05 PM
I did the CPAT last week....

bruddah
01-29-2007, 04:58 PM
pretty easy huh...?
just got my medic so i got one more wallet wafer to add to the list! see you there havasuselect, and have you decided what days your goin out for spring break?

phebus
01-29-2007, 07:01 PM
pretty easy huh...?
just got my medic so i got one more wallet wafer to add to the list! see you there havasuselect, and have you decided what days your goin out for spring break?
You have to go OCFA, and keep the tradition alive. :D

Throttle
01-29-2007, 07:14 PM
good luck you guys...

blackcloud75
01-29-2007, 07:35 PM
whats the age cut off?
My Fireman got hired at age 38 and I know guys who have been hired into their 40's and the oldest being 53(1.5 years on thejob, now)
Age has nothing to do with it......want it?GO GET IT!!!!!

HOOTER SLED-
01-29-2007, 08:14 PM
My Fireman got hired at age 38 and I know guys who have been hired into their 40's and the oldest being 53(1.5 years on thejob, now)
Age has nothing to do with it......want it?GO GET IT!!!!!
Hmmmmm, maybe I'll test again. LOL.. Got tired of sitting on "A" bands forever. Had to go out and start making $$. Man, I sure spent alot of $$ and time chasing that career. Good luck to everyone. I honestly believe there is some luck involved. There are only so many spots to fill. With literally thousands of candidates chasing after what, a couple of hundred spots? Even if you are in the top 5 percentile, the competition is there.

blackcloud75
01-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Hmmmmm, maybe I'll test again. LOL.. Got tired of sitting on "A" bands forever. Had to go out and start making $$. Man, I sure spent alot of $$ and time chasing that career. Good luck to everyone. I honestly believe there is some luck involved. There are only so many spots to fill. With literally thousands of candidates chasing after what, a couple of hundred spots? Even if you are in the top 5 percentile, the competition is there.
This current recruitment expect the applications to go from 20,000 to an expectant 3500 due to criteria(CPAT prereq.)
A lot of surrounding agencies are expecting to have their personnel test because of the new process.

blackcloud75
01-29-2007, 08:25 PM
What's up with RCFD???
Cory

bruddah
01-29-2007, 08:35 PM
You have to go OCFA, and keep the tradition alive. :D
dont worry thats where i want to end up!!! my dad told me that there testin in april so im planning on taking the test but i dont mind working for a smaller dept. and then lateralling! but i plan to spend the majority with ocfa!

HOOTER SLED-
01-29-2007, 08:42 PM
This current recruitment expect the applications to go from 20,000 to an expectant 3500 due to criteria(CPAT prereq.)
A lot of surrounding agencies are expecting to have their personnel test because of the new process.
Yea, that should make a difference. I never understood why they didn't do this to begin with. Back when I was testing, the smaller departments would have some of these stipulations. I tell ya, it sure shrunk the numbers. It never really affected me because I had alot under my belt, with the exception of a Paramedic cert. It was frustrating to see the larger departments pick up the "green" ones. And then of course you hear the stories of the guys who couldn't make it through the tower, or they quit cuz they felt it wasn't for them. :rolleyes: I would have killed for one of those opportunities. Things happen for reasons I guess. I guess I should be winning the lottery any day now. :D

blackcloud75
01-29-2007, 08:47 PM
I guess I should be winning the lottery any day now. :D
I hear ya'........I lucked out at 20(almost 21) when I got a job offer!!!!That was my lottery.....
Now....bossin' around a bunch of grumpy ol' phuckers....:D
At least they keep my coffee warm and my boots shined.....................................I wish.

HMF'er
01-29-2007, 08:52 PM
I hear ya'........I lucked out at 20(almost 21) when I got a job offer!!!!That was my lottery.....
At least they keep my coffee warm and my boots shined.....................................I wish.
U must have won the waxing contest to get the job!:)

blackcloud75
01-29-2007, 09:01 PM
U must have won the waxing contest to get the job!:)
That's funny schiat.........your boss encouraged me to persue my profession....he would of shot me if I stood next to you in line when you got your application:D
Oh besides......wax this biatch, I'll tell those CVFD guys to lock your ass out of the shitter and restrict you from coffee consumption......or the shady trees in back of the stations:D

HMF'er
01-29-2007, 09:03 PM
That's funny schiat.........your boss encouraged me to persue my profession....he would of shot me if I stood next to you in line when you got your application:D
And you listened to him? No one else does. j/k

HMF'er
01-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Oh besides......wax this biatch, I'll tell those CVFD guys to lock your ass out of the shitter and restrict you from coffee consumption......or the shady trees in back of the stations:D
No time for that nonsense anymore. I actually have to work! I know it's hard for you to understand when ur riding shotgun and telling others what to do.

blackcloud75
01-29-2007, 09:06 PM
No time for that nonsense anymore. I actually have to work! I know it's hard for you to understand when ur riding shotgun and telling others what to do.
Left here.........right there......oh wait.....we passed it....oopppss:D

HMF'er
01-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Left here.........right there......oh wait.....we passed it....oopppss:D
What's the hurry anyways? The black and whites are on scene handling the CPR and shiat. You all take ur time.

blackcloud75
01-29-2007, 09:20 PM
What's the hurry anyways? The black and whites are on scene handling the CPR and shiat. You all take ur time.
CPR-----------Citizen Patrol Request........:D

LHC Kirby
01-29-2007, 09:21 PM
I understand that Long Beach and San Diego are take apps as well. . . Good Luck guys - it is the best job in the world IMO:)

HMF'er
01-29-2007, 09:25 PM
CPR-----------Citizen Patrol Request........:D
Yeah! That's it.
Do u leave the station with bedhead in the morning?

BobbyB
01-29-2007, 09:32 PM
That's effing funny

blackcloud75
01-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Yeah! That's it.
Do u leave the station with bedhead in the morning?
yep...............and moose-shit breath

Baja Big Dog
01-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Right on bro, in the fire service we call you one of "those" guys that wasnt smart enough to pass the basic aptitude test so you never got hired, it wasnt cause of your last name or skin color. Im white and so are 115 out of 130 males (0 females) that i work with......and we had no problem getting hired.....stop making excuses, you just werent good enough.
I wasnt going to respond to this, but you peaked my interest!
Not good enough? Where in my post did it mention that I was denied employment with any fire dept? It didnt. I never thought of being a fireman, I do however know alot of people in the fire fighting clan. I also know alot of people that are as, if not more qualified than some people that were chosen to work in the field. And guess what some of them were in the Temecula area!!
If you intend to promote the concept that the fire dept's did not turn down applicants of equal qualifications because of ethnics or as they put it balancing, then do not read any further.
I can guarentee that just about everyone that reads this forum knows of someone that was effected by this practice.
If you are indeed in the firefighting business then I applaud you, you have accomplished something that many of us would not consider attempting.
You realize that you could very well insult alot of other people that may have tried out for the fire service and for what ever reason didnt make it with your comment "you just werent good enough", not good enough???? As you are to admired for your accomplishments you really show your ass with that comment. Dont fool yourself for a minute that you are any better than any of us "non firefighting" folks, in your future years i hope that you discover that everyone has a contribution, and yes some of them may be higher than yours!!
Good day!!!

bruddah
01-29-2007, 10:37 PM
thats rad. im also one of the young guns goin for it, and its hurt me in a lot of ways for jobs but ive gained a lot from it too. now that im a medic i dont think ill get as much of the " you need more life experience" line. but have to keep an open mind! who do you work for blackcloud?

4DAY4PLAY
01-29-2007, 11:16 PM
I wasnt going to respond to this, but you peaked my interest!
Not good enough? Where in my post did it mention that I was denied employment with any fire dept? It didnt. I never thought of being a fireman, I do however know alot of people in the fire fighting clan. I also know alot of people that are as, if not more qualified than some people that were chosen to work in the field. And guess what some of them were in the Temecula area!!
If you intend to promote the concept that the fire dept's did not turn down applicants of equal qualifications because of ethnics or as they put it balancing, then do not read any further.
I can guarentee that just about everyone that reads this forum knows of someone that was effected by this practice.
If you are indeed in the firefighting business then I applaud you, you have accomplished something that many of us would not consider attempting.
You realize that you could very well insult alot of other people that may have tried out for the fire service and for what ever reason didnt make it with your comment "you just werent good enough", not good enough???? As you are to admired for your accomplishments you really show your ass with that comment. Dont fool yourself for a minute that you are any better than any of us "non firefighting" folks, in your future years i hope that you discover that everyone has a contribution, and yes some of them may be higher than yours!!
Good day!!!
Dude, say whatever you want, but your post earlier was racist and deragatory. You started it by talking in spanish (which you havent done on any of your previous posts, i checked) and ended it by saying you have to have a last name that ends in "Z".....you know damn well what you are getting at. That practice does NOt exist in the fire service, and never has, regardless of what people think. I know this not only because im a 3rd generation fireman, but know many old and young fireman of different ethnic backgrounds that EARNED thier badge. Your a business owner, and you probably tried to be a fireman years ago, but chose $$$ over waiting in line for apps, camping out for tests and making "middle" class wages for a whole career.

YeLLowBoaT
01-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Dude, say whatever you want, but your post earlier was racist and deragatory. You started it by talking in spanish (which you havent done on any of your previous posts, i checked) and ended it by saying you have to have a last name that ends in "Z".....you know damn well what you are getting at. That practice does NOt exist in the fire service, and never has, regardless of what people think. I know this not only because im a 3rd generation fireman, but know many old and young fireman of different ethnic backgrounds that EARNED thier badge. Your a business owner, and you probably tried to be a fireman years ago, but chose $$$ over waiting in line for apps, camping out for tests and making "middle" class wages for a whole career.
I have to call you on this... WTF is with firemen? they always say shit like " you couldn't make it as a firemen" / you must not have been choosen.
I really wish I could know some ones life story just by reading a few post on the internet of all places.
And ppl wonder why so many ppl dislike firemen...

4DAY4PLAY
01-29-2007, 11:35 PM
I have to call you on this... WTF is with firemen? they always say shit like " you couldn't make it as a firemen" / you must not have been choosen.
I really wish I could know some ones life story just by reading a few post on the internet of all places.
And ppl wonder why so many ppl dislike firemen...
Read his earlier post (i believe it was the 2nd post in theis thread) he made a comment that sounded like he (or someone he knew) didnt get hired cause they werent mexican, black, etc) i disagree with that opinion. I have frineds that have used that excuse and in reality they didnt study hard enough for the written test or prepare well enough for the interview.

YeLLowBoaT
01-30-2007, 12:52 AM
Race does play a role in all highering practices every where, its a fact of life. If you think ppl are highiered strickly on how they preform in test/ interviews, your mistaken. Race, gender or who you know/who your related too is a very big influance on highiering pratices every where.
I would think some one of mexican decent would be hired in LA more then some one from a diffrent race. For 2 reasons:
one,is there is more mexicans in LA then any other race...
Two, I would say more mexicans are bilingual then none mexicans. In a job like being a firemen/emt that would put you a step up from every one else from the get go.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I just find it funny that most firemen I have met online/ in real life always pull the " you must not have made it", " you have no idea what its like" or " you must have wanted to be one" comments when ever some one criticizes a firemen. more so online. Then when you ask them to explain it to you, they say " you won't understand". Well if you don't explain it too me from your point of view, the only one I have is my own. there was a thread awhile back where several firmen got very pissed off at me for saying that when hazing crosses into the crimal side, some one should be fired right on the spot, given a check and thier retirment taken away.( other then the part you contributed to) Several of them could not even see a crime being committed, from pictures where some one was straped down covered in god knows what and had a garden hose shoved in thier mouth while it was on. That and I can not see why ANY ONE would put some one else in danager by messing with others gear. That is way over line.
I find it extremely rude that some one thinks they know enought about some one elses life story to make a statement like that.

Misogynist
01-30-2007, 01:20 AM
Race does play a role in all highering practices every where, its a fact of life. If you think ppl are highiered strickly on how they preform in test/ interviews, your mistaken. Race, gender or who you know/who your related too is a very big influance on highiering pratices every where.
I would think some one of mexican decent would be hired in LA more then some one from a diffrent race. For 2 reasons:
one,is there is more mexicans in LA then any other race...
Two, I would say more mexicans are bilingual then none mexicans. In a job like being a firemen/emt that would put you a step up from every one else from the get go.
I just find it funny that most firemen I have met online/ in real life always pull the " you must not have made it", " you have no idea what its like" or " you must have wanted to be one" comments when ever some one criticizes a firemen. more so online. Then when you ask them to explain it to you, they say " you won't understand". Well if you don't explain it too me from your point of view, the only one I have is my own. there was a thread awhile back where several firmen got very pissed off at me for saying that when hazing crosses into the crimal side, some one should be fired right on the spot, given a check and thier retirment taken away.( other then the part you contributed to) Several of them could not even see a crime being committed, from pictures where some one was straped down covered in god knows what and had a garden hose shoved in thier mouth while it was on. That and I can not see why ANY ONE would put some one else in danager by messing with others gear. That is way over line.
I find it extremely rude that some one thinks they know enought about some one elses life story to make a statement like that.
Ahhhh.... you just didn't get hired based on spelling errors.......... :devil:

YeLLowBoaT
01-30-2007, 02:18 AM
If I wanted to be hired as a firemen, maybe I would have gave a shit about my spelling errors... besides its the intradnet. There is a reason why I was not a english major in school...

HavasuSelect
01-30-2007, 07:17 AM
Geez people....:rolleyes: :D
Good luck to you HavasuSelect! :)
Thank You!
I don't know if they are going to start doing laterals. Currently they don't.
Safety gear is off limits.
This thread is about La. county testing for ff. Lets not hijack it with this hazing talk.
Thank You, this thread was meant to be a heads up for aspiring Firefighters.
pretty easy huh...?
Sounds good, good luck. I'm still trying to find out which written test they're going to use. I'll let you know when I find out.
I haven't decided on Spring Break yet. To tell you the truth I haven't even thought about it yet. I'll prob be going a couple times. How about you?

Baja Big Dog
01-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Well, here we go again, its more than obvious that you were not hired for your ability to read or retain what you have read, what part of "never wanted to be a fireman" in my post didnt you understand? I attempted to compliment you on your goals and results, but you chose to take the offensive stand again, we all have goals and most of us have reslts that we can be proud of, I have done a few things and been involved numerous projects that allow me to hold my head up high and wake up in the morning with pride, knowing that I have earned my "BADGE", it may be on a wall, and not on my shirt, but I assure you that my badge was the result of "waiting in lines", and "camping out for tests".
My comments were not derogitory (sp) but realistic, I dont care how many generations you stand behind, if you think this practice does not , or has not taken place, or choose not to believe it has happened then I would avoid any drug testing the fire dept may impose.
Again, I congradulate you on your goals and accomplishments.
"Middle class wages"....dont even get me started!
Adios (good by);)

bruddah
01-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Sounds good, good luck. I'm still trying to find out which written test they're going to use. I'll let you know when I find out.
I haven't decided on Spring Break yet. To tell you the truth I haven't even thought about it yet. I'll prob be going a couple times. How about you?[/QUOTE]
umm if i go ill prob go like march 23-24 to the 27? my gf goes to sdsu and thats there sb but im still tryin to convince her that it will be warm enough to enjoy it! still workin on it tho so we will see!

little rowe boat
01-30-2007, 08:56 AM
[QUOTE=YeLLowBoaT;2365327]Race does play a role in all highering practices every where, its a fact of life. If you think ppl are highiered strickly on how they preform in test/ interviews, your mistaken. Race, gender or who you know/who your related too is a very big influance on highiering pratices every where.
I have sat on interview panels and I know you are mistaken. We make a list and that list is followed #1 through however many are needed. I am 1st generation ff. I did not know anyone, I took the test with the other thousands and was fortunate enough to be hired. I am also a white boy, so race definately did not play into it.
As I stated earlier, safety gear is off limits.
Let me explain it to you. Most of the ff. have stood in line with thousands of people trying to get into the fire service ( not an easy task )and have taken many tests. Unfortunately there are only so many positions to fill, so not everyone makes it. The majority of people that don't make it, don't because they finally just give up because they did not want it bad enough. So when someone says "you just wont understand " believe me unless you have stood in line and taken test after test, you just wont understand.
QUOTE]
Now lets get this thread back on track.

Kilrtoy
01-30-2007, 09:01 AM
Hell no, That fire stuff is way to crazy, have had two experiences with it and it scared the crap out of me, My hats of to you guys

little rowe boat
01-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Hell no, That fire stuff is way to crazy, have had two experiences with it and it scared the crap out of me, My hats of to you guys
It's funny you say that because many ff. say the same about police work. That stuff is way too crazy.

Baja Big Dog
01-30-2007, 09:17 AM
It's funny you say that because many ff. say the same about police work. That stuff is way too crazy.
AMEN!!

Havasu1986
01-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Same here. I was testing in the early 80's and made it to the back ground. I knew it wasn't for me when I was on a inspection with 2 F.F. and there was a bad accident in front of us...well guess who froze and who jumped in to help. Not me. Been in the fire sprinkler industry ever since.

4day!!
01-30-2007, 10:01 AM
How about instead of having a pissing match in this thread we wish those who are taking the test the best of luck and offer any help/advice they might need.:idea:

gqchris
01-30-2007, 10:21 AM
How about instead of having a pissing match in this thread we wish those who are taking the test the best of luck and offer any help/advice they might need.:idea:
If we did that, it wouldnt be your everyday thread in ***boat!;)

4day!!
01-30-2007, 10:30 AM
If we did that, it wouldnt be your everyday thread in ***boat!;)
What the hell was i thinking? I thought that '07 was supposed to be a kinder gentler ***boat.

HavasuSelect
02-02-2007, 05:25 PM
February 2, 2007
ET-60
TO: ALL CHIEF OFFICERS
ALL ADMINISTRATIVE SITES
SUBJECT: ENTRY LEVEL FIRE FIGHTER TRAINEE EXAMINATION
DISPOSITION: RETAIN IN BRIEFING MANUAL UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
We are proud to announce that the bulletin for the Fire Fighter Trainee (FFT) Examination will post today and that applications for the exam will be accepted beginning Monday, February 5, 2007.
As previously announced, the new examination will include the following changes from the last exam:
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis and the exam will be given more frequently based on the needs of the Department.
A Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) certification, issued within the previous
12 months, will be required prior to filing an application.
Applications can be filed on-line, as well as mailed to the Department. The applications are valid for 12 months.
Candidates will be randomly selected from the pool of applicants to take the written examination.
The written examination will be pass/fail; and for those who pass, a structured interview will be conducted to determine 100% of the candidate’s score. That score will determine band placement on the register.
As the needs of the Department dictate, successful top-banded candidates from the continuous register will be invited to begin the hiring process (background and medical exams.)
All Chief Officers
All Administrative Sites
February 2, 2007
Page 2
Please find attached a copy of the FFT Examination bulletin, application, and frequently asked questions (FAQs). Fire stations and other administrative sites that are open to the public are requested to have copies of this information available for distribution.
The above information is also available by logging on to our Department’s website at www.lacofd.org/HelpWanted/BeAFirefighter.asp. This site, as well as our toll free number 888.897.FIRE will be updated with the most recent information.
If you have any questions, please contact the Recruitment Unit at (323) 881-3076 or via e-mail at BeAFirefighter@lacofd.org.
PMF:cdw
Attachments
ALL PERSONNEL SHALL READ AND INITIAL
"A" "B" "C"

IGOTSHOTGUN
02-02-2007, 06:38 PM
I will be there along with the rest of you who are testing. Slept in the dirt in Davis in 30 Degree weather to take a test on wednesday. Heading up to Sac city tomorrow to take their test. Waiting for Long Beach, LA city. LACO. SD City, OCFA. I dont know if there is a race issue or not. I would like to hope there isn't, but even if there is, you need to make it impossible for them to pass you over. Good luck to the rest of you. Thank you to those with actual helpful information.

LAFD
02-02-2007, 06:52 PM
la city is hiring. fill out the application and take the cpat. the next written test for city fire is feb 24th.

HavasuSelect
02-02-2007, 07:08 PM
la city is hiring. fill out the application and take the cpat. the next written test for city fire is feb 24th.
I took it in 2005, scored an 85 on my interview. It wasn't good enough. I spoke with LA City personnel last week, they said I can skip the written and go straight to the interview. But I gotta wait until the end of Aug. They're making me wait 2 years from the date of my last interview. This time I'll be a little more prepared.

Family4Day
02-02-2007, 08:32 PM
To all you guys that are taking the test, good luck! Try stopping by an LA County station and getting some info, might help you on the test. I saw this thread and just read on and on as it went down hill. For anyone that has been offended by some fireman stating "you were not good enough", let me appologize. There are people that are full of pride and there are people that are full of shit! I think most the guys on here are full of pride. We are quick to jump and defend ourselves, but sometimes we do not explain ourselves well. If you have not had the opportunity to sleep in a line trying to get just the chance to get an application to take a test, you would not understand. In our defense, sometimes guys that have tried to become firemen are quick to slam those of us that are. Jealousy is a horrible thing. I hate everyone with bigger and faster boats! But, I can live with what I have. Remember also that some "fireman" who has a decal on his truck and wears XYZ fire department shirt does not represent us as a whole. There is alot more to being a fireman and earning your badge. As for the four of us working on my engine tonight; I have a black captain, a mexican engineer, I'm white and the rookie is bright red! No hazing for him, but he is red from a day full of training. But for race, If I go down on a fire, I do not care if the guy pulling me out is purple, just as long as I go home. And I have never had a patient refuse for me to put an IV in their arm beacause I am a white. ON a funny side note, I did have a old black lady tell a paramedic intern we had a number of years ago that she was not sure of his skills and couldn't one of us white gentlemen start her IV. Funny thing was it was his 3rd shift and he was sweating and shaking and after her comment he turned pale and we thought he might pass out! He's now a fireman/paramedic and tries to leave the room when we tell that story! Sorry for the rant guys, but you can tell by my post count-I do not type too often! See you soon. Look for the boat "Rekindle". Say hi and have a beer!
Todd

Havasu1986
02-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Good post Todd.Where do you boat at.:)
Bobby

Family4Day
02-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Havasu and an occasional ocean trip. I have to update my picture I have. 26' Laveycraft closed bow. Dark/Red Burgundy flames with the name REKINDLE. Hope to meet you out there.
Todd

Ultracrazy
02-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Amen...........

8Dayz
02-02-2007, 11:14 PM
I love it how everyone wants to be a FIREMAN, yet they only want to work in the LA area. I am white and earned my badge when I was 25 with a small dept. You need to go test every place you can and forget about race and certs and all the other b.s. Prepare for the testing process and don't lock up in the interview. Getting on with smaller dept's might be tougher due to the amount of positions open, maybe. Make it good on the list with a big dept and wait, maybe, I don't know. I did 5 years with a small dept and am graduating from a great dept next Friday. We started with 16 people and have 11 left standing. I am one of 2 medics, 5 green dudes with no experience and some forest service cats. The youngest is 20 y/o and 2 of the boys are 41 y/o. One Mexican dude the rest are white, ALL of them are my BROTHERS! If you cant seem to get on, look in the mirror, you are the only thing keeping it from happening. Don't hate or try to figure out what cert or agenda they had. Get ready for the test and slam the interview. When you get the job, never forget where you came from and always remember what it was like to be the new guy. Good luck to everyone in pursuit of the job it is well worth it. Sorry for the rant. I cant wait for summer!
Whats up Hava Tan?:)

HavasuSelect
05-03-2007, 09:28 PM
I got my test date! The 31st of this month. It's go time!

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-03-2007, 09:30 PM
cool.. Good luck :)

HavasuSelect
05-03-2007, 09:55 PM
cool.. Good luck :)
Thank You very much!

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Thank You very much!
your welcome.. You can do it.:)

Havasu1986
05-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Good luck Havi Select:)

LAFD
05-03-2007, 10:12 PM
wish you all the luck in the world bro. i never did get picked up by county and i was on band a. anyway again good luck and study up.

blackcloud75
05-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Good luck, Homie........
Cory

mrs.rvrluvr
05-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Good Luck!!!! It really is an awesome job. My father just retired from 34 years as a Captain with LA County.

gramps
05-04-2007, 04:50 AM
Good Luck. I was L.A. Co. F.D. backin the early 70's till I got dumb and went to college. I should have stayed there.

HavasuSelect
05-04-2007, 06:16 AM
Everyone,
Thank you for the kind words. It's inspirational. This will be my second time testing with LA County. Last time I missed getting hired by 0.1 point. That won't be happening again.
Hey Bruddah did you get your test date?

LAFD
05-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Everyone,
Thank you for the kind words. It's inspirational. This will be my second time testing with LA County. Last time I missed getting hired by 0.1 point. That won't be happening again.
Hey Bruddah did you get your test date?
why dont you try for la city there always hiring.written test is cake.

HavasuSelect
05-04-2007, 07:24 AM
why dont you try for la city there always hiring.written test is cake.
I did. I scored an 85 on the interview. Not high enough. They told me I have to wait 2 years to reapply. I called personell a few months ago and they told me my two months will be up the end of August. The good thing is I don't have to take the written again. I just have to show my CPAT and go straight to the interview.

LAFD
05-04-2007, 07:31 AM
I did. I scored an 85 on the interview. Not high enough. They told me I have to wait 2 years to reapply. I called personell a few months ago and they told me my two months will be up the end of August. The good thing is I don't have to take the written again. I just have to show my CPAT and go straight to the interview.
right on you wanna know the jacked up part i beleive they changed it to having to wait 2 years to waiting 1 year if you dont pass something. anyway again goodluck with what ever department you get on.if your gunna take the city interview again and have any questions let me know i can help you out.

little rowe boat
05-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Best of luck to you. I had an instructor many years ago that said " The only people that don't get hired are the ones that quit taking the tests" Keep testing, it's only a matter of time.

HavasuSelect
05-04-2007, 07:35 AM
right on you wanna know the jacked up part i beleive they changed it to having to wait 2 years to waiting 1 year if you dont pass something. anyway again goodluck with what ever department you get on.if your gunna take the city interview again and have any questions let me know i can help you out.
Thank You. I appreciate it. I def intend on taking trying with City again. Possibly in early Sept or thereabout. I'm sure I might have some questions about the interview then. Again, thanks.

Throttle
05-04-2007, 07:33 PM
good luck.... go get em!

mikefd024
05-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Just to let you all know I work for LA Co FD, and we only got 3000 apps, and are testing 800 at the end of the month. Letters were sent out last Monday, the next written will be in September. And they plan on doing a test aprox every 4 months from now on. The 3000 apps that they have for this hiring year will all get tests within the year, so I am told. But you all have to remember this Govt. and money comes into play here, i.e. they have to have it to test. Also they have been recruiting heavily for women, and I am guessing they are all in the 1st 800 to be tested. As far all the rest of the stuff on this thread, I am a 33 yo white male, and got hired at 21 for another Dept. and got hired with County at 23. Maybe I got lucky, but I work with alot of other whites. So they definitely hire whites, just because your a white male does not mean you wont get a job. Also I work with some shi%^ guys, so as far the statement your not good enough to be firefighter thats BS. There are firefighters who are not good enough to any job and got lucky getting hired in union job!!!!

Highlimit9000
05-06-2007, 04:36 AM
I love it how everyone wants to be a FIREMAN, yet they only want to work in the LA area. I am white and earned my badge when I was 25 with a small dept. You need to go test every place you can and forget about race and certs and all the other b.s. Prepare for the testing process and don't lock up in the interview. Getting on with smaller dept's might be tougher due to the amount of positions open, maybe. Make it good on the list with a big dept and wait, maybe, I don't know. I did 5 years with a small dept and am graduating from a great dept next Friday. We started with 16 people and have 11 left standing. I am one of 2 medics, 5 green dudes with no experience and some forest service cats. The youngest is 20 y/o and 2 of the boys are 41 y/o. One Mexican dude the rest are white, ALL of them are my BROTHERS! If you cant seem to get on, look in the mirror, you are the only thing keeping it from happening. Don't hate or try to figure out what cert or agenda they had. Get ready for the test and slam the interview. When you get the job, never forget where you came from and always remember what it was like to be the new guy. Good luck to everyone in pursuit of the job it is well worth it. Sorry for the rant. I cant wait for summer!
Whats up Hava Tan?:)
He's right, Test everywhere. I did for 5 years before I finally got on with a small dept. This then landed me a job later as a lateral FF/Paramedic for a big city dept. Best advice is keep trying!

IGOTSHOTGUN
05-06-2007, 06:26 AM
I was hoping to get into this first string of LA Co tests, Thats good to hear that they only recieved 3000 Apps, hoefully the next string of guys then. I Meet with my backround investigator for LA city on the 16th.

mikefd024
05-06-2007, 07:53 AM
I was hoping to get into this first string of LA Co tests, Thats good to hear that they only recieved 3000 Apps, hoefully the next string of guys then. I Meet with my backround investigator for LA city on the 16th.
Well you never know, I was in kind of the in same boat, and got lucky I waited since I was 18. Finally when I was 23 I had 3 job offers within a week, LA Co FD, Glendale CA., and LA City and I took County of course. Good Luck

LAFD
05-06-2007, 10:11 AM
let me know if you have any questions on the interview.