PDA

View Full Version : BoatCop: Radar Detectors; Obstruction of Justice?

Trailer Park Casanova
01-29-2007, 07:53 AM
Got my arm caught in the Emerald rumor mill again:
Is the use of a Radar Detector Obstruction of Justice?

Jordy
01-29-2007, 07:56 AM
I believe it aids in my right of self preservation and pursuit of happiness. OC to Phoenix yesterday- 4 hours. Granted the Border Patrol trucks running 95+ from Indio to Blythe and clearing the way didn't hurt. :D :D :D

Ziggy
01-29-2007, 09:05 AM
how's the new to you ride?

uvindex
01-29-2007, 09:19 AM
Got my arm caught in the Emerald rumor mill again:
Is the use of a Radar Detector Obstruction of Justice?I'm not Boatcop, and I don't play him on TV. :)
Don't know anything about radar detectors being considered "obstruction of justice" (although they're unlawful in some states, e.g., Virginia).
The use of radar/laser jammers, however, as well as devices that make license plates harder to read, can be considered obstruction of justice in some states (if you google the topic you'll find lots of discussion on lots of forums on this very topic).

Forkin' Crazy
01-29-2007, 09:32 AM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f18/tpc123/2py6he9.jpg?t=1170079270
That looks like a Valentine 1 in a rearview mirror??? :eek: I need to send mine off to have it updated. :cool:
I don't see it being an obstruction of justice anymore than scanner or a CB. :)

Racey
01-29-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm really surprised some lawyer hasn't gone and had the VA law changed, after all the cops are bombarding your car and you with radiation and a radar detector simply warns you of the presence in you area, to me as far as i can see if you put something out into the public airwaves and at my body you should have no right to tell me whether or not i can use a tool to detect it's presence.
Radar jamming on the other hand will fall under the regulation of the fcc and i can see how they can regulate that since a radar jammer actually broadcasts a signal to create interference. Laser jammers are legal because they do not use radio waves but light.
That looks like a Valentine 1 in a rearview mirror??? :eek: I need to send mine off to have it updated. :cool:
That's badass, i wonder if it's real or photoshopped, my pops has a valentine, that thing is amazing, the only detector to buy imo.
Edit: BTW that mirror is real, check it out http://www.ecisbmw.com/product_files/accessories/V1%20Display.htm

Trailer Park Casanova
01-29-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm trying to find the guys address that makes them, or claims he makes them, can't find it yet.
If I do, I'll post it.
He wants about $360 each.

RitcheyRch
01-29-2007, 10:04 AM
That does look like a cool set-up. Wouldnt mind seeing if can get my V1 done like that.

Parker Dreamin
01-29-2007, 10:09 AM
I run the V1 and it works great. The mirror set up is bitchen.

Kachina26
01-29-2007, 10:29 AM
The only problem with that mirror setup is if you don't have a passanger with you, it would be tough to make out. It really needs to be on the drivers' side.
:D

Boatcop
01-29-2007, 11:13 AM
In some States use of radar detectors are illegal. Arizona isn't one of them.
I can't see how "Obstruction of Justice" charges would apply. Even if it was attempted they would have to prove (beyond a reasonable doubt) that the device was working, turned on, and actually interfered with Government Operations.
The States that outlaw radar detectors make simple possession of one in a vehicle illegal.
One note. They are illegal to use in ALL states in Commercial Vehicles. (Federal Law) Commercial Vehicles, in this instance, being OTR trucks, subject to Federal and State regulations for service hours, log books, weight restrictions, etc.

Trailer Park Casanova
01-29-2007, 01:11 PM
In some States use of radar detectors are illegal. Arizona isn't one of them.
I can't see how "Obstruction of Justice" charges would apply .
One sea lawyer says "Intent".
What's your take?

Ziggy
01-29-2007, 01:28 PM
I just do it the old fashioned way........use my wits and common sense, and don't drive so fast that you become the target of LEO's.
Oh, and I watch for airplanes too ;) :D

Trailer Park Casanova
01-29-2007, 01:32 PM
You must have super willpower Zig.
If I was in your V12 Bimmer,, don't think I could resist.

Ziggy
01-29-2007, 01:47 PM
You must have super willpower Zig.
If I was in your V12 Bimmer,, don't think I could resist.
Its a learned trait after a few tense moments. I surprise myself.
Not saying I don't jump on it now and then but I use a lot of caution when I do. I do it for my pleasure and not to impress others so generally nobody is around to see it. ;) Including, hopefully, the LEO. :D

Dusty Times
01-29-2007, 02:22 PM
I would love to have mine in the mirror.
Is it an aftermarket dill that is not made by V1?

Boatcop
01-29-2007, 02:45 PM
One sea lawyer says "Intent".
What's your take?
I can't see even where "intent" would violate the law. Now it's possible, I suppose, for a radar "jammer" which interupts the radar signal, (rather than a "detector" which merely receives it) might be construed as "interfering with police operations". But I've never heard of anything like this.
I did a quick search on the internet and found a few threads. But most of them were coming from "Tom Brown Land" in the Great White North.

riverracerx
01-29-2007, 03:17 PM
I am an idiot, but are they illegal in Cali? I have never owned or operated one but everyone I know who goes to Mammoth says they are a must?

Boatcop
01-29-2007, 03:38 PM
I found this on Radar/jammer legality.
The use of a radar detector in a passenger vehicle is legal in all states with the exception of Virginia, Washington DC. and on military bases.
Radar detectors are illegal in all commercial vehicles weighing over 10,000 pounds
In Canada, the only three provinces that allow their use are Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.
Many overseas countries also ban their use, such as Portugal, Finland and Spain.
In areas that radar detectors are illegal, law enforcement use a device called the Spectre that is able to detect the use of radar detector in your car or truck. For more information on the Spectre, click here.
Laser Jammers and Radar Jammers are illegal in the states of Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington DC.

Jordy
01-29-2007, 04:48 PM
From every test I've seen conducted, the jammers don't work anyway. Maybe Mythbusters should give it a try.

Trailer Park Casanova
01-29-2007, 05:32 PM
From every test I've seen conducted, the jammers don't work anyway. Maybe Mythbusters should give it a try.
Good idea,, perhaps mention it on their website.
That would be a cool episode.

Chipster27
01-29-2007, 09:17 PM
For those asking about the V1 in the rear view mirror...
http://www.apexcone.com/JimPowellHomepage/Radar/RadarLove.html
Enjoy!

Forkin' Crazy
02-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the link. I don't think that guy is totally correct though. I have a friend that drives a big rig. He told me the cops have a device that will tell them if there is a radar detector in the vehicle. He has had a couple confiscated. :eek: