PDA

View Full Version : Mussles are now throughout the river system

DILLIGAF
01-29-2007, 12:47 PM
No surprise here:
Mussels Found Throughout
Lower Colorado River
TRI-STATE - Fears have been realized that discovery of quagga mussels at Lake Mead in early January presented the possibility that theyÂ’ve already scattered through the lower Colorado River system. The pesky mollusks have subsequently been located at Lake Mohave and Lake Havasu and now theyÂ’ve turned up in the Colorado River. Bureau of Reclamation Regional Director Bob Walsh said divers have found live quagga mussels during inspections at a spillway at Hoover Dam.
``The mussels were located sporadically on the steel grates of the intake tower, between about 30 and 85 feet deep, and on rocks in the bottom of the river channel near the spillway outlet,” Walsh said. ``There are four intake towers at Hoover Dam; they deliver water from Lake Mead to the generating units in the dam’s power plant.”
Walsh added the dam’s water delivery and power generating functions have not been affected by the mussels. He said the various pipes and intake structures used for power generation and water delivery will continue to be inspected given that the mussels multiply in great numbers and can clog and cause damage when attaching themselves to infrastructure. Walsh said divers will conduct additional inspections at Hoover, Davis and Parker Dams to measure the possible presence of the mussels. ``In addition, reclamation is researching how other hydroelectric power plants have been affected by this mussel, and what types of maintenance programs they have implemented to successfully address these infestations,” he said.

Ziggy
01-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Wonder if they taste any good?
Clam bake time :D
This could really be bad for the Colorado since it relys so heavily on the control features of all the dams, I see an increase in water costs coming in the near future for all us So Cal'ers. :mad:

SummerBreeze
01-29-2007, 01:42 PM
I am sure this has something to do with people peeing in the lake

moneypit
01-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Anyone into diving? Sounds like there will be a need for divers in the lakes and rivers to keep these guys off of some spendy equipment.

SOCALDETAIL1
01-29-2007, 01:51 PM
I heard a rumor that if you wax your boat on a regular basis they cant stick to your boat?????????:)

BDMar
01-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Cindy (Bunny166) called me last night to say they got stopped at the check point on the 40 by Moabi on their way back to Needles and their boat was inspected for the Mussels. I'm sure she will post something about it when they get back tonight. They told her they will be checking all boats this summer....

Boatcop
01-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Cindy (Bunny166) called me last night to say they got stopped at the check point on the 40 by Moabi on their way back to Needles and their boat was inspected for the Mussels. I'm sure she will post something about it when they get back tonight. They told her they will be checking all boats this summer....
I would bet that pretty soon, ALL towed boats will end up being stopped and inspected going through the California Agriculture Inspection Stations.
California has a vested interest in keeping the little buggers at bay, and the infrastructure is already in place.

RiverDave
01-29-2007, 02:58 PM
This is gonna suck big time..
Alan, do you know if they'll allow dredging in the keys in the future to clean these things out? If not all the rocks around the docks are going to be razor sharp and present a problem for swimmers etc.. Atleast on the bright side we might be able to make some of the channels a little deeper as well under this pretext.
RD

Boatcop
01-29-2007, 03:09 PM
This is gonna suck big time..
Alan, do you know if they'll allow dredging in the keys in the future to clean these things out? If not all the rocks around the docks are going to be razor sharp and present a problem for swimmers etc.. Atleast on the bright side we might be able to make some of the channels a little deeper as well under this pretext.
RD
I don't know who you mean by "they". All that's needed to dredge the canals is a permit from the Corps of Engineers. The dredging would have to be paid for by the Homeowner's Association. For a project that big, you're talking a few hundred thousand dollars. I doubt that the Keys has that much sitting around, and I know the residents wouldn't support an assessment to cover it.
I suppose that they could go in with dozers and backhoes as in "self-help", when the River is dropped. But remember that the entire canal system is lined with plastic sheeting, which would have to be replaced.
The Corps also has a prohibition on ANY heavy equipment in any part of the River bed.
The rip-rap (rocks) under most of the docks also helps control erosion, so they won't want to remove it all.

jrgaudettes
01-29-2007, 03:11 PM
I also got inspected this weekend on the way home. (62 & 95.) Asked me to remove the plugs and gave me information on Mussels. I was told the same thing, all boats inbound to Calif are going to be inspected untill further notice.

superdave013
01-29-2007, 03:14 PM
blame the poker runners for spreading these things around. They took over the lake I grew up on about ~10 years ago. The cause was boats trailered from the great lakes and back to the local lake.
RD, you are right. They are razor sharp and everyone has to wear those water shoes. But they took over so strong that they ended up killing them selves off. Now it's been long enough that they are gone and it's not a problem anymore.

h2oski2fast
01-29-2007, 03:15 PM
I'll venture to say these little buggers have been around the area longer then we know, yet just now have been discovered.

Moneypitt
01-29-2007, 03:18 PM
I read that MWD, (LA water) says they're here now..........Or was that some different type mussel?...........MP

Boatcop
01-29-2007, 03:34 PM
I read that MWD, (LA water) says they're here now..........Or was that some different type mussel?...........MP
The "here" they speak of is on Lake Havasu on the MWD water intake. If they are on the intake, they are throughout the MWD canal system.
What we want is to prevent them from getting into inland lakes. Those aren't fed by the MWD system, with the exception of Diamond Lake in Hemet.

Ziggy
01-29-2007, 03:46 PM
The "here" they speak of is on Lake Havasu on the MWD water intake. If they are on the intake, they are throughout the MWD canal system.
What we want is to prevent them from getting into inland lakes. Those aren't fed by the MWD system, with the exception of Diamond Lake in Hemet.I read they were diving and checking lake Skinner since thats a reservoir for the system too. Didn't hear whether they found anything or not.
I'd guess they have been in the lake(s) for longer than we know. Like alot of other things, once we see them its too late. :(
I'm betting also that some of the I-40 travelers from Havi will be heading to the Needles bridge before entering I-40.....:idea: :eek:

Outnumbered
01-29-2007, 03:46 PM
blame the poker runners for spreading these things around. They took over the lake I grew up on about ~10 years ago. The cause was boats trailered from the great lakes and back to the local lake.
RD, you are right. They are razor sharp and everyone has to wear those water shoes. But they took over so strong that they ended up killing them selves off. Now it's been long enough that they are gone and it's not a problem anymore.
What kind of time frame does this take place in? In other words, how long until the things are thick on the rocks, docks, and beaches???

THOR
01-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Where will they be checking if you travel via Rice Road?

jrgaudettes
01-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Where will they be checking if you travel via Rice Road?
Thor, I was checked this weekend at the 95,62 x-ing(Rice Road). About a 5 min deal, plus an extra 5min's to ask a few questions.

Ziggy
01-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Thor, I was checked this weekend at the 95,62 x-ing(Rice Road). About a 5 min deal, plus an extra 5min's to ask a few questions.
aka Vidal Junction.
So the place that has had the sign saying "no inspection today" for two or more years is required to do some work again, eh? :D :D

jrgaudettes
01-29-2007, 04:47 PM
aka Vidal Junction.
So the place that has had the sign saying "no inspection today" for two or more years is required to do some work again, eh? :D :D
LOL. They had four Agg. officers direct me to the inspection area off to the left. :eek:

Ziggy
01-29-2007, 05:03 PM
LOL. They had four Agg. officers direct me to the inspection area off to the left. :eek:
Our tax dollars at full effeciency...LOL
These guys are gonna hate coming out of the AC this summer :)
Glad my boat stays in Havi. ;)

BoatFloating
01-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Wonder if they taste any good?
Clam bake time :D
I'm no rocket scientist but wouldn't this be a Mussel Bake.... They aren't Clams...
Carry on....:D

Ziggy
01-29-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm no rocket scientist but wouldn't this be a Mussel Bake.... They aren't Clams...
Carry on....:D
LOL, I made an executive decision. Mussel bake didn't quite sound as appetizing:D

Jim W
01-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Boat inspections are a total waste of time...
The microscopic larve are in the feathers of water fowl.
Unless someone figures out how to control that, it's just a matter of time.
Back east here, we have had the Zebra mussles for over 10 years now.
Long story short, people have gotten used to what needs to be done to live with the problem.
It's not the end of the world, just a pain in the ass at times.
But hey, any cloudy/murky lakes you have are soon to be clear as all get out!!!
Be good, Jim

Rexone
01-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Not sure how they can inspect a boat effectively for these things. Can't they be inside the engine water or any water that happens to be in any part of the bilge?
They're certainly not going to be attached to the outside of the drives for a boat that is just trailered for the weekend and used a couple days.

jrgaudettes
01-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Mine will stay in Havi after Ultra is done with it.
As far as the inspection Rexone, they just walked around the boat, pulled the plugs and checked the exhaust. Not a real through inspection.
But they seem concerned and were informative.

Dusty Times
01-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Hate to tell them anything that they woud rather spend millions in funding to figure out but they have been around Topock for atleast thirty years:jawdrop:

Trailer Park Casanova
01-29-2007, 06:03 PM
The only way one can screw the Gov't is to work for them.
What temperatures kill the mussle?
Sometimes the canals water can get quite warm.
Power plants use heat kills to get at the big ones.
The short circuit the outtake water and heat the incoming and it kills off mussles.
I believe when whales haed to the warmer waters of Mexico the get the same results.

rrrr
01-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Yep.

Boatcop
01-29-2007, 06:22 PM
The only way one can screw the Gov't is to work for them.
What temperatures kill the mussle?
Sometimes the canals water can get quite warm.
Power plants use heat kills to get at the big ones.
The short circuit the outtake water and heat the incoming and it kills off mussles.
I believe when whales haed to the warmer waters of Mexico the get the same results.
It takes 140 degrees to kill them. I seriously doubt the River will get that high.
Hate to tell them anything that they woud rather spend millions in funding to figure out but they have been around Topock for atleast thirty years:jawdrop:
They weren't even in the United States 30 years ago. The first sighting in North America was in 1989. They weren't identified as a separate species from Zebra mussels until 1991. Native to the Ukraine area of Northern Asia, they are believed to have been brought over in ships' ballast to the Great Lakes.
The area where they were found on Lake Mead showed no signs of them last November.

dumbandyoung
01-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Are they going to be inspecting jet skis too? Most people tow at least two so I would Imagine it taking twice the time.
I see this sucking huge balls on holiday weekends on a Thursday or Friday night. Imagine the lines trying to get through these inspections. Is it only going to the river or when you leave back to CA also?

Boatcop
01-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Are they going to be inspecting jet skis too? Most people tow at least two so I would Imagine it taking twice the time.
I see this sucking huge balls on holiday weekends on a Thursday or Friday night. Imagine the lines trying to get through these inspections. Is it only going to the river or when you leave back to CA also?
There are no inspections going east. Why would California want to limit invasive species LEAVING the state?

dumbandyoung
01-29-2007, 06:41 PM
There are no inspections going east. Why would California want to limit invasive species [b]LEAVING[b] the state?
Sorry, what i meant was; Is Arizona checking you On the way in and Ca checking you on the way back in?

Boatcop
01-29-2007, 06:54 PM
Sorry, what i meant was; Is Arizona checking you On the way in and Ca checking you on the way back in?
Right now the only checks are coming into California.
I suppose we (AZ) could check them coming east, but they're already here. At least on the Western Colorado River Lakes. Haven't heard anything about Powell yet, but you can bet that the NPS will be ramping up inspections of boats coming into the park up there. Same with the inland AZ lakes.
The AZ "inspection" stations are basically just CMV scales, and not set up for Agriculture inspections, although if it's deemed necessary, it probably wouldn't be too hard to convert them, or direct towed boats into a separate inspection lane.
They probably won't be inspecting with a magnifying glass, unless the boat looks like it was stored in the water for a substantial period of time or flying Missouri or other midwest registration.
They're just going to be checking to make sure the bilge drain and live-well plugs are pulled, so there's no standing water in the boat. Just make sure all the plugs are pulled and there's no weeds or river grass hanging off the boat or trailer.

Mandelon
01-29-2007, 07:22 PM
I got a text message saying that...Maybe it was from her?

dumbandyoung
01-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Right now the only checks are coming into California.
I suppose we (AZ) could check them coming east, but they're already here. At least on the Western Colorado River Lakes. Haven't heard anything about Powell yet, but you can bet that the NPS will be ramping up inspections of boats coming into the park up there. Same with the inland AZ lakes.
The AZ "inspection" stations are basically just CMV scales, and not set up for Agriculture inspections, although if it's deemed necessary, it probably wouldn't be too hard to convert them, or direct towed boats into a separate inspection lane.
They probably won't be inspecting with a magnifying glass, unless the boat looks like it was stored in the water for a substantial period of time or flying Missouri or other midwest registration.
They're just going to be checking to make sure the bilge drain and live-well plugs are pulled, so there's no standing water in the boat. Just make sure all the plugs are pulled and there's no weeds or river grass hanging off the boat or trailer.
Okay.. thanks for the warning!

GHT
01-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Sounds like Havasu will have to hire some Clam Fighters....:D