PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance for small business

OCMerrill
01-31-2007, 01:38 PM
Small business owners...who do you use?
Well, I just renewed our group medical insurance for the company through Cal Choice again (under protest). It should be called because you don't have a choice use Cal Choice.
Very expensive. This year I switched out the PPO (bye doctor of 15 years my family will miss you) to a Kaiser HMO. I just never met the $2400 before Blue Cross (written by Cal Choice) would pay anything. At least with this I can get something back for the $968 mo. Thats for me as the owner, wife as the employee to get me my group coverage. No other employees want it. Can't blame them.
I just tried to get private ins. through several brokers to save some money. Because of my sons medical issues at birth (he is 4 now) and my wifes issues at my sons birth...we are medically Black Listed on the freaking TRW version of our medical profile. Fawkers.
So for those thinking of leaving the big corporate world a major downfall is Health Insurance for the small guy. Be healthy or your screwed.
When my wife worked for Steel Case we had United Health care and it was very reasonably priced and paid for everything. The good ole days.

blown65
01-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Ya, it sux. With a 2k deductible doctor and 200 prescription a family is 950 a month for us. Then figure a minimum of 15% increase in prem a yr.
BUT and a big BUT, you'll be very thankful you have it if something major ever happens.
Thats unless your an illegal, you can just get free health care.

OCMerrill
01-31-2007, 02:26 PM
At least with Kaiser my family can go to the Doc for a Copay instead of meeting that high calendar year deductible.
I don't know. I have heard horror stories about Kaiser, good ones too.
My Grandmother is 95 years old. Kaiser for the past 40 years. They are keeping her going so hopefully they can properly diagnose the common cold for my kids.
Last year I spent almost $6K for doctor bills above and beyond the monthly insurance costs. This was spread across the family and never met the deductible.
Now I will make the payment and pay $40 per visit and if they order xrays, labs, or whatever its included.
Still allot of money.

blown65
01-31-2007, 02:28 PM
At least with Kaiser my family can go to the Doc for a Copay instead of meeting that high calendar year deductible.
I don't know. I have heard horror stories about Kaiser, good ones too.
My Grandmother is 95 years old. Kaiser for the past 40 years. They are keeping her going so hopefully they can properly diagnose the common cold for my kids.
Last year I spent almost $6K for doctor bills above and beyond the monthly insurance costs. This was spread across the family and never met the deductible.
Now I will make the payment and pay $40 per visit and if they order xrays, labs, or whatever its included.
Still allot of money.
Ya, ours is 2k, but that is per person (max of 3 or 6k out of pocket)
Then its 20% after.

H20 Toie
01-31-2007, 02:33 PM
We use Blue Shield, i would never have to put my employees thru Kaiser. my dad had it when i was a kid and it sucked big time. i have never heard anything good about them.
I only have 10 employees so it is real tough to get good rates and i also cover the families, hopefully i can keep doing it.
It was the best i could find but it sure wasn't the cheapest

tcook33
01-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Kaiser here. I know it used to be bad insurance, but they've changed things over there and I've had really good feedback from my employees.
I've gone a few times myself and have had no issues. I had my ACL replaced and have no reoccurring issues. Dr. Moore out of Woodland Hills did a good job.

BajaMike
01-31-2007, 02:50 PM
Kaiser here. I know it used to be bad insurance, but they've changed things over there and I've had really good feedback from my employees.
I've gone a few times myself and have had no issues. I had my ACL replaced and have no reoccurring issues. Dr. Moore out of Woodland Hills did a good job.
I think Kaiser is great, I've never had to wait more then 5 minutes for anything, I can see the doctor on the same day or next day that you call. The office in San Juan is very nice and not real busy.
They are very good! Dr. Nanda at the San Juan office is cool too!
:idea:

Strippoker
01-31-2007, 02:52 PM
When we set up the new company we shopped like crazy due to my daughter and wife having some problems. Health Net kicked all the companies in the dirt for the coverage. With having a Dad in the medical field he helped bring up a point with Kaiser, that if you are hurt at havasu your taking a flight with other insurance you get care ASAP.

tcook33
01-31-2007, 02:52 PM
I think Kaiser is great, I've never had to wait more then 5 minutes for anything
Exactly. They seem to have a pretty tight ship over there now.

tcook33
01-31-2007, 02:53 PM
if you are hurt at havasu your taking a flight
Interesting. I need to look into that. Even with the POS plan?

Ziggy
01-31-2007, 02:54 PM
I hate doing it but nearly every year I need to change the health provider so I can get a decent rate. Its a pain for all involved but if I stay with the current Insur. they normally jump way up from the "Join up" prices they offered the year before.
Been with Blue Cross, Blue Shield, California Choice and numerous others. This year I ended up buying Aetna with basically the same deductables and coverages as I had with Blue Shield last year at about 2/3rds the cost.

Strippoker
01-31-2007, 02:56 PM
just stay away from Aflac that damn duck can bite me

No Regrets
01-31-2007, 03:00 PM
When we set up the new company we shopped like crazy due to my daughter and wife having some problems. Health Net kicked all the companies in the dirt for the coverage. With having a Dad in the medical field he helped bring up a point with Kaiser, that if you are hurt at havasu your taking a flight with other insurance you get care ASAP.
Do you a contact # for Health Net?
Im done w/ Blue Cross' & their increases evry 2qtrs!

OCMerrill
01-31-2007, 03:05 PM
Ya, ours is 2k, but that is per person (max of 3 or 6k out of pocket)
Then its 20% after.
Very similar to our last plan. Max of $6k out of pocket. What I liked about this is that allowed us to keep the PPO doctor we have been seeing for years under the United Healthcare label. Even with the contracted rated the bills were still stacking up. All Misc crap...basically everyones healthily.
Glad to read others opinions on Kaiser. I can switch it again next year at open enrollment time if we don't like it. My other choices were "Health Net" about 7-8% more and the "Blues" HMO plans which were like 20% more.
Does anyone remember FHP? That was my first Med insurance coverage when I worked for my father some 22 years ago. OMG...was that freaking horrible.

Strippoker
01-31-2007, 03:05 PM
Do you a contact # for Health Net?
Im done w/ Blue Cross' & their increases evry 2qtrs!
just sent you a PM

blown65
01-31-2007, 03:12 PM
AFLAC does suck. A few of our employees have that and its been nothing but issues. (not thru the company)
Right now we are thru Pacific Source, and ya we usually have to change every single yr to a diff provider. Luckily this yr and last it went from a 1000 to a 1500 to this coming yr a 2000 deductible to keep the same Premium.

OCMerrill
01-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Health Net is the other option I have under this Cal Choice deal. I read through it and its just a basic Hmo with quite a few doctors to choose from. Doesn't look bad just a different way to go. More input here if you have any?
The taking a flight thing...I can say this, Kaiser has ambulanced my grandmother from Saddleback Hospital (south OC) up to Anaheim many times. Point I am making here is what you say about a plane flight might be very realistic. They like to keep it in their family. No spreading the $$ around unless they have to I guess.
I have 4 employees and none of them want to pony up.

Racey
01-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Insurance companies are such pricks, i couldnt imagine paying 950 a month for ins, that's $11,400 a year:jawdrop: , how many of you actually use that much medical a year?? the only way i could see it being worth a damn is if you had a major injury, and had to take a chopper ride to emergency.
Just mind blowing to me, but i'm a single guy so i can't really say i wouldnt have it for my family, but for gods sake that is unreal.

dimarcobros
01-31-2007, 03:38 PM
How big is your company? I have a couple of friends in the field that can help you out.
Let me know.
DMB

OCMerrill
01-31-2007, 05:22 PM
Insurance companies are such pricks, i couldnt imagine paying 950 a month for ins, that's $11,400 a year:jawdrop: , how many of you actually use that much medical a year?? the only way i could see it being worth a damn is if you had a major injury, and had to take a chopper ride to emergency.
Just mind blowing to me, but i'm a single guy so i can't really say i wouldnt have it for my family, but for gods sake that is unreal.
Yes I agree its irritating. Just think of the boat I could buy with that payment.
How big is your company? I have a couple of friends in the field that can help you out.
Let me know.
DMB
Small General Contractor with 4 employees. Make that 5 adding the Wife to the payroll to make the group coverage sense nobody else wants to pay up. My guys are young and indestructible (so they think). I no longer feel that way.
Now a days one arm break with some pins and whatever = $$$. Just plain don't have the balls to run without coverage.