PDA

View Full Version : Plasma or Lcd

ELVIS
01-31-2007, 07:23 PM
looking for a 46'' to 50 '' tv. pros or cons on plasma v lcd ?
what about Vizio, any ideas ? thanks

blown65
01-31-2007, 07:29 PM
:D Sony SXRD 55", LCD:D
Same but 60" :D

Havasu1986
01-31-2007, 07:33 PM
You can do a search..this topic has come up alot lately.:)

ELVIS
01-31-2007, 09:05 PM
it seems like you can get a little bit bigger plasma for the same money, but i have heard that plasmas burn out faster, any feed back on pros or cons.
thanks

Havasu1986
01-31-2007, 09:21 PM
it seems like you can get a little bit bigger plasma for the same money, but i have heard that plasmas burn out faster, any feed back on pros or cons.
thanks
Psssst...read post #4. Most of the t.v. guys show up in the afternoon.

Jyruiz
01-31-2007, 09:22 PM
LCD if you are going to use it in a room that is bright (bright from the light of a lot of windows) and can't control the ligthing. Plasma if you want a better picture quality.

Jyruiz
01-31-2007, 09:23 PM
i have heard that plasmas burn out faster, any feed back on pros or cons.
thanks
It use to be that way, now plasmas last 60,000 hours, that comes out to about 7 hours a day for 20 years.

ULTRA26 # 1
01-31-2007, 09:45 PM
thanks
IMO The highest quality LCD's have the best picture by far. I prefer the picture of equal quality LCD's, but both are good. My choice was based on room size and price. Family room, plasma, bedroom LCD. If price is not an issue, then 1020 LCD all the way. With regard to Vizios, I don't believe they are consistant. Have seen some nice ones and know of some bad ones. Good price but a bit of a gamble. If you go that route, buy from a store with a good return policy. I heard that Costco is good this way.
JM

Havasu1986
01-31-2007, 09:57 PM
LCD if you are going to use it in a room that is bright (bright from the light of a lot of windows) and can't control the ligthing. Plasma if you want a better picture quality.
Elvis..jyruiz is the 1 of the guys I was refering to who has done alot of excellent posts on here. I don't understand the t.v. lingo ..but I trust him from his earlier posts..even though he's from Norwalk and I grew up in Bellflower.:) :D

melbatoast
01-31-2007, 09:59 PM
LCD DLP I have a Samsung 50" but i did have to replace the bulb twice. It was under warrenty, turned out the fan died so the tv kept over-heating

Jyruiz
01-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Elvis..jyruiz is the 1 of the guys I was refering to who has done alot of excellent posts on here. I don't understand the t.v. lingo ..but I trust him from his earlier posts..even though he's from Norwalk and I grew up in Bellflower.:) :D
Thats cause you are from Bellflower.:D

Jyruiz
01-31-2007, 10:06 PM
LCD DLP I have a Samsung 50" but i did have to replace the bulb twice. It was under warrenty, turned out the fan died so the tv kept over-heating
LCD is different from DLP, it can't be both. LCD is a 3 chip design and DLP is a single chip design, in RPTV's anyway.

Havasu1986
01-31-2007, 10:10 PM
Thats cause you are from Bellflower.:D
At least I was smart enough to get out of Bellflower.:D

Jyruiz
01-31-2007, 10:15 PM
At least I was smart enough to get out of Bellflower.:D
Guess I was not smart to move here after I got married.:D J/K, I like it here.

Havasu1986
01-31-2007, 10:18 PM
Guess I was not smart to move here after I got married.:D J/K, I like it here.
Not a bad area. I grew up behind the Kaiser Hospital at Rosecrans and Clark. My dad still ownes the house that he bought in 55 for 13k.

melbatoast
01-31-2007, 10:20 PM
LCD is different from DLP, it can't be both. LCD is a 3 chip design and DLP is a single chip design, in RPTV's anyway.
My bad but I still had to replace the light engine twice, through all that I still would recomend the tv

Jyruiz
01-31-2007, 10:24 PM
My bad but I still had to replace the light engine twice, through all that I still would recomend the tv
Samsung makes some of the best DLP RPTV's, this year they have expanded there LED line to the 50 and 61" models. No more color wheel and the LED's are rated conservatively at 20,000 hours. I just wish Texas Instruments would come out with there full 1920x1080 chip for RPTV's.

dschifan
01-31-2007, 10:46 PM
just bought the LG plasma, love it. real good picture and got it for a good price at best buy. if your gonna be playing video games and such the LCD is the way to go however. it can withstand it and will not burn out like the plasma could.
-Dustin

Jyruiz
02-01-2007, 07:52 AM
just bought the LG plasma, love it. real good picture and got it for a good price at best buy. if your gonna be playing video games and such the LCD is the way to go however. it can withstand it and will not burn out like the plasma could.
-Dustin
Oddly enough, the Vizios are made with LG panels with Genesis Scalers and Faroudja Deinterlacers. If you calibrate your plasma or turn down the contrast (picture setting on some TV's/plasmas) level to where it should be, it will be real hard to get burn-in or image retention.

H20 Toie
02-01-2007, 08:03 AM
thanks
I have some plasma's that are over 4 yrs old and have been hauled all over the country ( we rent them to the studios) and they still work fine, they get a lot more abuse then yours ever would. yes you can burn them in but unless it is real bad they will recover. i like the image better on the plasma then the lcd. but i think the market will go toward lcd's, they are getting to be close to the same price as a plasma and are now making them almost as big.

dumbandyoung
02-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Go with LCD.. and go to Howards off the 91 fwy in Corona. Ask for the manager Amy, and tell her Dennis sent you!:D

HammerDown
02-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Plasmas and "Burn In".
What gets me is the station tags we must look at all the F'ing time and how they will burn-in a Plasma.
What's up with NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and several others...don't they care that this does damage to some TVs?:mad:

Jyruiz
02-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Plasmas and "Burn In".
What gets me is the station tags we must look at all the F'ing time and how they will burn-in a Plasma.
What's up with NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and several others...don't they care that this does damage to some TVs?:mad:
Plasmas are better at avoiding burn-in now a days, now they are coming with utilities to help you avoid it, I know Vizio has a wash utility that you can run after playing games or if you had a static image up for a while. And if the contrast and brightness is properly set, it will be very hard to get burn-in.
I currently have an HD CRT RPTV, I have had it for almost 6 years and still have no BI, but I calibrate my TV every year. If the SED TV's don't come out late this year or early next, then I am going to go with a plasma. The new generation Pio Elites will have 80% better blacks and will come as close to CRT's than any other technology out there. Pioneer is also sharing this technology with Panny so that will be an option as well. After CRT, plasma has the best picture quality out of any other technology.

Cole Trickle
02-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Plasmas are better at avoiding burn-in now a days, now they are coming with utilities to help you avoid it, I know Vizio has a wash utility that you can run after playing games or if you had a static image up for a while. And if the contrast and brightness is properly set, it will be very hard to get burn-in.
I currently have an HD CRT RPTV, I have had it for almost 6 years and still have no BI, but I calibrate my TV every year. If the SED TV's don't come out late this year or early next, then I am going to go with a plasma. The new generation Pio Elites will have 80% better blacks and will come as close to CRT's than any other technology out there. Pioneer is also sharing this technology with Panny so that will be an option as well. After CRT, plasma has the best picture quality out of any other technology..
English Ruiz English!!!!:D:D:confused: :devil:

Jyruiz
02-01-2007, 04:54 PM
English Ruiz English!!!!:D:D:confused: :devil:
RPTV= Rear Projection Television
CRT= Cathode Ray Tube
SED= Surface-conduction Electron emitter Display
Hope that helps. :D

Cole Trickle
02-01-2007, 04:56 PM
RPTV= Rear Projection Television
CRT= Cathode Ray Tube
SED= Surface-conduction Electron emitter Display
Hope that helps. :D
Nice..It does help a little!!!
I now have my own little secret decoder ring to teh AV industry:D

KineticoH20
02-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Easy choice if you got bigbucks go buy a pioneer plasma, if you want the most bang for the buck get the panasonic 60u or 600u unbelievable picture, HD is beyond belief, perfect in every way, I bought the 600u after exhausting research, it was consummers #1. I just saw the 50'' 60 u on sale for only $2000 that is a bargan for this quality 50''.

Jyruiz
02-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Easy choice if you got bigbucks go buy a pioneer plasma, if you want the most bang for the buck get the panasonic 60u or 600u unbelievable picture, HD is beyond belief, perfect in every way, I bought the 600u after exhausting research, it was consummers #1. I just saw the 50'' 60 u on sale for only $2000 that is a bargan for this quality 50''.
The Panny is a great buy and the low price is one of the main reasons for the #1 comsumers report rating. I am just really into picture quality and the Elite is a couple of steps above any of the Panny's out there. 50" is also to small, I don't think I can go from my current 65" TV to a 50". Plus, I won't be paying full price for the Elite when I am ready for one.;) Who knows, by then, there might be something better.

riverroyal
02-01-2007, 05:41 PM
i have a plasma one from costco,i love it

Jyruiz
02-01-2007, 06:04 PM
i have a plasma one from costco,i love it
And that is all that matters.:)

riverroyal
02-01-2007, 06:06 PM
And that is all that matters.:)
its all about me,always has been:D

jrork
02-01-2007, 08:33 PM
50" Plasma Vizio here. Great sound and awesome picture. No complaints whatsoever.

came along during the sunk boat thread
02-01-2007, 08:37 PM
-Dustin
bought the lg 42" plasma in november and LOVE it.
I've also installed 3 50" samsung 50" plasma's in customers homes this past week.... A very very nice tv

jtmarten
02-04-2007, 06:37 AM
Just make sure to compare contrast ratios. Some of the cheap LCDs like Vizios are 800:1, most of the high-quality Plasmas are 10,000:1. Huge difference in picture quality.

Ultrafied
02-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Just make sure to compare contrast ratios. Some of the cheap LCDs like Vizios are 800:1, most of the high-quality Plasmas are 10,000:1. Huge difference in picture quality.
Ahhh .. the Sony Vizios contrast ratio is 10,000:1, at least for the Vizio 50" Plasma HDTV (P50HDTV10A