PDA

View Full Version : Boat show impressions

phebus
01-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Impressions of the show:
DCB continues to be the top of the heap when it comes to rigging and details.
Elimiator has really stepped it up, and are a very close second. Whoever does that glassing does really nice capping.
Howard's new deckboat is really nice, just don't like the sink in front of the co-pilot seat. The Red Baron boat is sick, really nice.
Conquest is still in my opinion, the nicest deck boat, followed closely by the Magic and Howard.
Magic, what can I say, nice boats, I can see why you sell so many.
Carrera, what were you thinking allowing your only boat at the show to be the ugliest 257 Party Effect to ever be made. Lime green, red and gray really hurts the eyes.
Hallet sure makes beautifull boats, but here's a news flash for you, it's 2006. A classic look is great, your rigging is great but your styling needs updating.
Nordic, your new cat has really clean lines, and some nice styling ideas, but what is the control console doig there? I think a deck version should be very nice.
My opinion I' sure means nothing to others, but I'd like to hear the opinions of others.

phebus
01-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Oh, and one more thing, the vendor area at he show can cost you at lot of money. Be carefull.

jeff67
01-29-2006, 09:52 AM
I never had a chance to make it to the DCB booth, however I have taken good notice to their rigging in the past.
I really like the new Nordic cat, however not practical someone as myself that needs to have the seating for a family.
Magic, really clean boat and Scottie down there was really nice.
We were in a toss up between the Magic 28 Sceptor, 28 Advantaeg sport cat and the Ultra Shadow. I deffinately like the styling and interior concepts of the Ultra the best. The mid cuddy had ample head room and a full grown man could actually fit through the hole up to the bow. Some of the other cat builders said to hop over the top of the boat to get to the bow, but on a 100K investment, im not going to be scratching my paint!!
In the end we bought an Ultra, we felt the best looks, styling, and overall bang for the buck was in the Shadow.
Another company we were looking at getting was a Waterrod, but everyone out there had bad things to say. Any reasons why that anyone would know of??

Bradf
01-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Yea I was working near Eliminator and saw them pull all three out and head for LA on Friday... they looked really good.

RiverOtter
01-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Is the Howard Deck as roomy as Magic's? Seems I read somewhere it was a slightly extended 25. In the pics it doesn't look as big (tall and less roomy on the inside) After seeing both what do you think?

Redneck
01-29-2006, 10:05 AM
I never had a chance to make it to the DCB booth, however I have taken good notice to their rigging in the past.
I really like the new Nordic cat, however not practical someone as myself that needs to have the seating for a family.
We were in a toss up between the Magic 28 Sceptor, 28 Advantaeg sport cat and the Ultra Shadow. I deffinately like the styling and interior concepts of the Ultra the best. The mid cuddy had ample head room and a full grown man could actually fit through the hole up to the bow. Some of the other cat builders said to hop over the top of the boat to get to the bow, but on a 100K investment, im not going to be scratching my paint!!
In the end we bought an Ultra, we felt the best looks, styling, and overall bang for the buck was in the Shadow.
Another company we were looking at getting was a Waterrod, but everyone out there had bad things to say. Any reasons why that anyone would know of??
Welcome to ***boat enjoy the party. Congrats on joining the Ultra family I know John will take care of you and you will recieve one of the best boats on the market. As soon as you get pics of your new boat make sure to post pics of the boat im sure everyone here would enjoy seeing your new baby. Hope to see you on the water.
Kenny

little rowe boat
01-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Is the Howard Deck as roomy as Magic's? Seems I read somewhere it was a slightly extended 25. In the pics it doesn't look as big (tall and less roomy on the inside) After seeing both what do you think?
I would also like to know, if the Howard is as roomy as the Magic and Conquest.

phebus
01-29-2006, 10:17 AM
It isn't as big or deep inside as the Magic, but it has sleeker lines, and a great look. The Howard IMO has the very best lines when viewed from the side, followed by Magic and Conquest.
There are a lot of roomy deckboats out there that have no appeal to me, because of their exterior lines (ie. Advantage, Hallet, Lavey). I prefer to compromise some of the room for the sake of style.
Other decks that are nice were the Dominator (has no floor storage), and the Cobra (can't sat what I don't really like about it).
Dominator had a supercharged/diesel powered deckboat that I'd like to see more details on, but good luck finding diesel fuel on inland lakes.

phebus
01-29-2006, 10:22 AM
I would also like to know, if the Howard is as roomy as the Magic and Conquest.
To answer the question directly, no it doesn't, but it is still very spacious, and would be very adequate (stated as a current deckboat owner). Again the only thing I didn't like about the Howard was the sink placement, and really don't know the need for a sink to start with. It would be nice if it was an option, and they had another interior mold without it.

Jordy
01-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Dominator had a supercharged/diesel powered deckboat that I'd like to see more details on, but good luck finding diesel fuel on inland lakes.
It was also a GM 6.5 platform which wouldn't have been my first choice, although they are a good engine. The blower instead of a turbo was interesting though. There were a few big boats with Yanmars at the show as well. As far as finding fuel, they should get better mileage than their gas counterparts. Just fill it up before you launch. I know I have enough gas in my boat to go for a couple weekends without filling it up. I like the idea of diesels though. ;)

OutCole'd
01-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Again the only thing I didn't like about the Howard was the sink placement, and really don't know the need for a sink to start with.
You never know when cruising the lake at 60 and need to wash some silverware a sink and a garbage disposal might come in handy. :cool:

RiverOtter
01-29-2006, 10:33 AM
It isn't as big or deep inside as the Magic, but it has sleeker lines, and a great look. The Howard IMO has the very best lines when viewed from the side, followed by Magic and Conquest.
There are a lot of roomy deckboats out there that have no appeal to me, because of their exterior lines (ie. Advantage, Hallet, Lavey). I prefer to compromise some of the room for the sake of style.
Other decks that are nice were the Dominator (has no floor storage), and the Cobra (can't sat what I don't really like about it).
That comfirms the pics. I don't like the Dominator but love the (horribly over priced) Cobra.
I'd love to see a diesel :cool:

BADASS38CHEVY
01-29-2006, 10:48 AM
What deck boat did Lavey bring? Does anyone have pics.

Bradf
01-29-2006, 10:53 AM
You never know when cruising the lake at 60 and need to wash some silverware a sink and a garbage disposal might come in handy. :cool:
No no, you got it all wrong! Its for when you're using the boat and get sick realizing you paid way to much for it <3! J/k lol

Highlimit9000
01-29-2006, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE=phebus]Impressions of the show:
Elimiator has really stepped it up, and are a very close second. Whoever does that glassing does really nice capping.
I think it is done out of the united states.
What about Schiada? Have not gone yet.

Riverkid
01-29-2006, 11:05 AM
Here's the only Schiada pic I've seen so far, we are going Tues evening...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1780LA_Boat_Show_2006_004.jpg

Highlimit9000
01-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Thats SICK! wish they had a 21RC though...DCB eat your heart out...

bordsmnj
01-29-2006, 11:15 AM
they have a 21rc in the lobby area.after looking at the rigging even dcb took a distant second place. :)

phebus
01-29-2006, 11:28 AM
The Schiada's were of course extremely nice. The boat in the pictures was done in paint by Vale, and was incredible. The only problem with the Schiada booth was there wasn't many boats to look at.

Havasu Hangin'
01-29-2006, 11:46 AM
The bar lines were too long.
The Sporting Wood's had the right idea (BYOB).
(Just my observations)

BADASS38CHEVY
01-29-2006, 12:18 PM
The Schiada's were of course extremely nice. The boat in the pictures was done in paint by Vale, and was incredible. The only problem with the Schiada booth was there wasn't many boats to look at.
I talk to Vale last week when he was clear coating that boat.They sure put that baot together for the show quick.

Coleitis22
01-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Impressions of the show:
Howard's new deckboat is really nice, just don't like the sink in front of the co-pilot seat. The Red Baron boat is sick, really nice.
Conquest is still in my opinion, the nicest deck boat, followed closely by the Magic and Howard.
Magic, what can I say, nice boats, I can see why you sell so many.
Carrera, what were you thinking allowing your only boat at the show to be the ugliest 257 Party Effect to ever be made. Lime green, red and gray really hurts the eyes.
Hallet sure makes beautifull boats, but here's a news flash for you, it's 2006. A classic look is great, your rigging is great but your styling needs updating.
Nordic, your new cat has really clean lines, and some nice styling ideas, but what is the control console doig there? I think a deck version should be very nice.
My opinion I' sure means nothing to others, but I'd like to hear the opinions of others.
Thanks for the review. Post some pics so we can see what you are talking about.

dicudmore
01-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Congrats :D
I made that same buying decision :cool:

cxr133
01-29-2006, 12:32 PM
All i can say if i had 115,000.00 laying around
that RED/Black 1150HP 23 foot JET Deckboat that Ultra had on the floor would be on the top of my list!!! i tried to make it over to John West to see if i could talk him down to 30-40k :) but he was busy at the time
then the Magc deckboat..
sorry no pics wifie forgot the camera

MagicMtnDan
01-29-2006, 01:40 PM
Impressions of the show:
Their deckboat looks great and very well made (Howard quality). As for the sink, I thought the same thing but I'm sure they'll customize it for you - they like taking care of their customers.
Impressions of the show:
I couldn't agree more. Their boats are great looking and the quality is there but their styling is bordering on "ancient" - in many cases boating is very traditional but that ain't the case in "hot boating." While their sales may not indicate it you can be sure they're losing customers because of this (the ones that are buying the Ultras, Eliminators, Laveys, Cobras, etc.

Essex502
01-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Conquest being across the aisle from Howard made it easy to compare the two deck boats. I think from sitting in both that the Howard has more room than the Conquest and has a greater freeboard. But to each there own. Ride in both before deciding.
P.S. the sink doesn't have to be installed. That can be removed - no charge I believe.

RiverOtter
01-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Conquest being across the aisle from Howard made it easy to compare the two deck boats. I think from sitting in both that the Howard has more room than the Conquest and has a greater freeboard. But to each there own. Ride in both before deciding.
P.S. the sink doesn't have to be installed. That can be removed - no charge I believe.
Howard has more freeboard than Conquest???

phebus
01-29-2006, 03:27 PM
I believe it's molded into the deck liner, but the way Howard builds their boats using numerous molds to produce a boat, it would be very easy to have a seperate mold to create several different variations of the same boat. Puts the "custom" in custom boats.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Perhaps I'm biased, but I love the classic lines of the Halletts. I don't think they need to change a thing. Class never goes out of style.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/107806_boat_show_e.jpg

jbtrailerjim
01-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Congrats on the new Ultra and welcome to the Ultra family! The 27 Shadow is one of my favorites. The one they brought to the show this year was sick!

jbtrailerjim
01-29-2006, 04:23 PM
This boat was one of my favorites of the show. Absolutely awesome paint job on it. :cool:

2Driver
01-29-2006, 04:45 PM
. I know I have enough gas in my boat to go for a couple weekends without filling it up. ;)
How much can you burn from the 10 lane to Humbug anyway? :rollside:
I was at the show too, sorry I missed you.

SDLifesaver
01-29-2006, 06:48 PM
We were there yesterday and hung out at the Howard booth for several hours. We walked the whole place and I am always impressed with DCB, Eliminator and obviously Howard. Cobra was really busy and had some cool handouts for the kids. It was the worst display Schiada had ever. Lee was there and he was great to talk to but he only had 3 boats and the 24 was dirty. His personal boat was downstairs and was insane but their booth was really lacking what their company is capable of. Downstairs was cool with alot of new boat companies and some old ones too but upstairs seems like the place to be if your a manufacturer. That's just my .02. Nick

GHT
01-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Oh, and one more thing, the vendor area at he show can cost you at lot of money. Be carefull.
No, Sh!t.... I spent $10.00 on three (bags of peanuts). And then there was the Beer.....

phebus
01-29-2006, 07:25 PM
I got myself a BoatBling engine cover (thanks Tom and Patrick, it's awesome), two more American Outdoors coolers, some dock lines, some beers, fell in love with some boats, and some of the women walking around. :rollside:

riverroyal
01-29-2006, 08:26 PM
V bottoms had those side doors below the bond line,its for beach entry without climbing over the bow,very creative,,anyone have a pic?

rodnjen
01-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Yes, a fair amount actually. The passengers are much more protected in the Howard, especially if you choose to close the "pocket doors" in the forward seating area.
I liked them both, ALOT, but if money wasn't much of an issue and you planned on keeping the boat for a while, the Howard would be a serious contender in my opinion.

Throttle
01-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Ouch! :cry:

Throttle
01-29-2006, 10:10 PM
We were there yesterday and hung out at the Howard booth for several hours. We walked the whole place and I am always impressed with DCB, Eliminator and obviously Howard. Cobra was really busy That's just my .02. Nick
I see I missed you again...

Kilrtoy
01-29-2006, 10:16 PM
I will have to look into this, I thought the exact opposite....
the Howard looked very cramped and the conquest looked very open...
I'll get back with ya on this one...

SnakeWrench
01-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Funny thing is that Kilr came to the booth and didn't even look up ol' Snake.. I see how it is Kilr.. :D

Throttle
01-29-2006, 11:18 PM
Funny thing is that Kilr came to the booth and didn't even look up ol' Snake.. I see how it is Kilr.. :D
you were busy gettin me a beer - biatch!

RiverOtter
01-30-2006, 04:11 AM
Yes, a fair amount actually. The passengers are much more protected in the Howard, especially if you choose to close the "pocket doors" in the forward seating area.
I liked them both, ALOT, but if money wasn't much of an issue and you planned on keeping the boat for a while, the Howard would be a serious contender in my opinion.
Thanks for the info. I really like the Howard :cool:

SDLifesaver
01-30-2006, 06:35 AM
I don't know how to drag a previous comment to make a point but the sink issue in the Howard deckboat is a complete option. The mold does not include the sink hole. Our new Howard will NOT have the sink because we also saw no need for one. We utilized the space for several different things. If I remember right, the sink, all the plumbing, and the 6 gallon water tank is between a 200 and 500 dollar standard feature that you can delete and use the money else where. As far as room and freeboard goes when you compare the Howard to other deckboats, I feel that it has the same freeboard as the Magic and more cockpit space than the Top Cat 2. We rode in all of them before making our choice. The Conquest is an incredible boat and had our vote until the Howard surfaced. That's just my .02 on the second part of this post but anyone who wants to go for a ride starting in April is invited to come out to Havasu when ours is finished and delivered April 1st. How about April 2nd because I still need to learn to drive the boat and get it on and off the trailer before I make a public appearance. I also forgot to mention that is was nice to see Tom @ Boat Bling again on Saturday. We will be getting our cover as soon as the boat is done so we can match the color/design. Nick

RiverOtter
01-30-2006, 08:47 AM
I don't know how to drag a previous comment to make a point but the sink issue in the Howard deckboat is a complete option. The mold does not include the sink hole. Our new Howard will NOT have the sink because we also saw no need for one. We utilized the space for several different things. If I remember right, the sink, all the plumbing, and the 6 gallon water tank is between a 200 and 500 dollar standard feature that you can delete and use the money else where. As far as room and freeboard goes when you compare the Howard to other deckboats, I feel that it has the same freeboard as the Magic and more cockpit space than the Top Cat 2. We rode in all of them before making our choice. The Conquest is an incredible boat and had our vote until the Howard surfaced. That's just my .02 on the second part of this post but anyone who wants to go for a ride starting in April is invited to come out to Havasu when ours is finished and delivered April 1st. How about April 2nd because I still need to learn to drive the boat and get it on and off the trailer before I make a public appearance. I also forgot to mention that is was nice to see Tom @ Boat Bling again on Saturday. We will be getting our cover as soon as the boat is done so we can match the color/design. Nick
Are the storage consoles large enough for an enclosed head?

Jordy
01-30-2006, 08:55 AM
I don't know how to drag a previous comment to make a point
Hit the little button in the lower right hand corner that looks like http://www2.***boat.com/forums/images/buttons/quote.gif and then type below what you've quoted. ;)

SDLifesaver
01-30-2006, 09:20 AM
There is a head in front of the driver helm that is big enough to sit on. It is a portable toilet but the space is definately big enough for someone 6'2" and under.

a catered life
01-30-2006, 09:22 AM
agreed 100% i see you bought a lot of jerky too :rollside:

RiverOtter
01-30-2006, 09:27 AM
There is a head in front of the driver helm that is big enough to sit on. It is a portable toilet but the space is definately big enough for someone 6'2" and under.
Oh, there is already a head compartment :cool: That will make the wife happier.

JB in so cal
01-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Oh, there is already a head compartment :cool: That will make the wife happier.
You thinking about a boat with no windshield?

dicudmore
01-30-2006, 10:22 AM
yup, I missed ya in the Cobra booth as well but did find Throttle :cool:

Biglue
01-30-2006, 11:18 AM
you were busy gettin me a beer - biatch!
I completely forgot you were going to be a the Cobra display dude. I even sat there bs'n with Snakewrench for a few minutes. Shit dude we'll meet next time. :rollside:

Throttle
01-30-2006, 12:57 PM
I completely forgot you were going to be a the Cobra display dude. I even sat there bs'n with Snakewrench for a few minutes. Shit dude we'll meet next time. :rollside:
I will be in and out of there a few times this week, but all weekend for sure... come by and i will fill up your empty beer cup.

Biglue
01-30-2006, 01:04 PM
I will be in and out of there a few times this week, but all weekend for sure... come by and i will fill up your empty beer cup.
That's a big 10-4 there dude. Well if I ever decide to buy that cobra after all, I'll buy from you instead of Snakewrench.............he offered NO BEER. :D

RiverOtter
01-30-2006, 02:50 PM
You thinking about a boat with no windshield?
After riding in Jones' boat, it wasn't so bad.

Supultlbich
01-30-2006, 03:45 PM
I goota say there were alot of really nice dispays at the show, but the only free beer I got was at Cobra, thanks man!!!!!!!!

Essex502
01-30-2006, 06:17 PM
I believe it's molded into the deck liner, but the way Howard builds their boats using numerous molds to produce a boat, it would be very easy to have a seperate mold to create several different variations of the same boat. Puts the "custom" in custom boats.
Nope - sink CAN be removed per Mike Willen.

Essex502
01-30-2006, 06:18 PM
yes

Goodtime$
01-31-2006, 12:57 PM
Boat show so far...killer to meet some people from the boards and share some beers and stories...ok the good stuff...
Personal Favorites:
DCB F32
DCB F29 single engine walk through
Eliminator 30 daytona Whipple boat
Eliminator 28 carbon
Schiada 32, 24, 21RC and titanic
Ultra- Big Johns 23 donavon power/jet deckboat
Conquest- boss cat
Lavey- 28 canopy V, deckboat
HTM- 24s with huge blowers
Domin8er- diesel deck boat/ eliminator had a diesel too
coors light
oh and my capped front and rear, 24 canopy Orion Tunnel at $60k......
Notalent, holla back kid. Lets get this summer started right.
post pics weds...cruise by for a beer and buy a boat

dicudmore
01-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Boat show so far...killer to meet some people from the boards and share some beers and stories...ok the good stuff...
Personal Favorites:
DCB F32
DCB F29 single engine walk through
Eliminator 30 daytona Whipple boat
Eliminator 28 carbon
Schiada 32, 24, 21RC and titanic
Ultra- Big Johns 23 donavon power/jet deckboat
Conquest- boss cat
Lavey- 28 canopy V, deckboat
HTM- 24s with huge blowers
Domin8er- diesel deck boat/ eliminator had a diesel too
coors light
oh and my capped front and rear, 24 canopy Orion Tunnel at $60k......
Notalent, holla back kid. Lets get this summer started right.
post pics weds...cruise by for a beer and buy a boat
What days are you at the show? I'll come by and visit :cool:

phebus
01-31-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm going back to the show tomorrow, so if anyone has any special requests for pictures, let me know.

Goodtime$
01-31-2006, 01:35 PM
be back in LA weds, than Friday-Sunday. Your 27 looks sick, im still waiting for Notalent and friends to stop by and sign. See you guys soon..cheers cheers cheers

Two K's
01-31-2006, 03:09 PM
Does anybody have any pics of the Domn8er boats at the show they can post?I'm on the eastcoast so I cant get to the show. Would appreciate it
Keith

Kilrtoy
02-02-2006, 08:56 AM
After reviewing last night, I have to disagree, Conquest has more room, the Howard is alot more compact. But I will have to say Howard is the new KING of deck boats, They raised the bar to a whole new level.

rivercrazy
02-02-2006, 02:39 PM
bump

Jesster
02-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Has anybody heard about or seen the new Aftershock/Carrera After Party/Party Effect 282. I noticed it today in the last issue of ***boat and it looks like it might be based off the Violator hull? Looks nice though. I didn't see it at the boat show last Sat though.

phebus
02-02-2006, 05:02 PM
It wasn't at the boat show on Saturday, but it was there yesterday. I got talking to Danny (badblown575), and forgot to check it out.

havasu5150
02-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Kilrtoy
After reviewing last night, I have to disagree, Conquest has more room, the Howard is alot more compact. But I will have to say Howard is the new KING of deck boats, They raised the bar to a whole new level.
I also disagree. The Conquest has smother lines and is no where near a boxy looking. if you compare the TopCat I to the Howard the layouts are similar and in my opinion the Conquest has more room. Didnt see a Howard with the same design as the Top Cat II, so that would be like compari8ng apples and oranges. The quality of either boat can't be denied. Both have flawless gelcoat and solid fit and finish.

riverroyal
02-12-2006, 07:38 PM
of the show was Im glad i got out only spending 100k a year ago!

SnakeWrench
02-12-2006, 07:58 PM
That comfirms the pics. I don't like the Dominator but love the (horribly over priced) Cobra.
I'd love to see a diesel :cool:
Otter, I know it sounds like the Cobra is overpriced to some, but if you take our standrd option list and compare it to others, and look at the overall performance of the Cobra, you will find that it is not so overpriced after all. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with anyone elses boats because 99% of the ones mentioned here are quality boats with out a doubt, but you really need to look at what you get for the Cobra's starting price.
Snake

Essex502
02-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Look at the pictures and see what I mean about more room.
Conquest Bow area...notice the lack of room for passenger's feet at the most forward half of the seat.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/279Conquest_deck_1_sm.jpg
Now the Howard...same lenght of seat within inches and look at the foot room.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/279Howard_1_sm.jpg
Now the Conquest rear seating area. Notice the one bench across the back.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/279Conquest_deck_2_sm.jpg
Cut to the Howard...notice the wrap around bench seat. The distance between the bench itself anf the back of
seat is farther.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/279Howard_2_sm.jpg
Back to the Conquest...notice the length of the console between the driver and the bow area.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/279Conquest_deck_3_sm.jpg
Return to the Howard...notice the distance is almost 1/3 maybe 1/2 shorter for the console which opens up the back seating area. Also, the Howard has a full sit down porta potty within the sponson in front of the driver.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/279Howard_3_sm.jpg
Final thoughts...you won't convince me nor the tape measure that the COnquest is roomier than the Howard. Sit in both and decide...each person's taste will be different.

havasu5150
02-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Regarding the bench seat in the back, the Howards design is the same as Magics the question is how many people could sit comfortably, the fact that the seat wraps around to the back of the passengers captains chair, does not necessarily mean seating for an additional person....what will they do with their legs?
Either way, both are solid boats. depends on what your looking for.