PDA

View Full Version : Employment/Staffing Agencies

robk
02-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Anyone on here run or know someone involved with a staffing agency? I've got a buddy who's been out of work for 9 months now and needs to get his a** working. He's not really career-level but has spent most of his time in the banking/mortgage industry doing document mgmt, auditing, clerical stuff, etc. At this point, he doesn't really care what kind of job he gets but he needs to go work now.
Hard worker, learns quickly, just can't seem to locate employment. I'd help him out but all of my contacts and open positions are in the tech industry.
OC area.
If anyone has something available, beer's on me.
Rob

Mrs. Bordsmnj
02-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Has he already tried going thru a temp agency and has still been out of work for 9 months??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
The place I use when I need a temp or new staff is Professional Staffing 949/474-0200. As a matter of fact, I got my current job as Human Resources Manager thru them 3 years ago.
Not sure its up his alley, but its worth a shot.

Boozer
02-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Tell your buddy to get on Monster, Craigslist, CareerBuilder, HotJobs, etc.

robk
02-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Tell your buddy to get on Monster, Craigslist, CareerBuilder, HotJobs, etc.
He's done all those, hasn't had much luck.
Has he already tried going thru a temp agency and has still been out of work for 9 months??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
The place I use when I need a temp or new staff is Professional Staffing 949/474-0200. As a matter of fact, I got my current job as Human Resources Manager thru them 3 years ago.
Not sure its up his alley, but its worth a shot.
He's been to quite a few temp agencies in the North OC area but can't seem to sell himself. To be quite frank, I'm a little ticked off that he hasn't tried harder, I know I'd be busting my backside to find work if I was out of work for more than a day. I'll pass that along and have him call. In fact, his current focus in school is on a degree with hopes of getting into HR so they might have something good for him.
This is somewhat of a last resort posting here, I was hoping someone had an open entry-level position somewhere that needed a beer :)

Biglue
02-06-2007, 12:15 PM
It just seems as if people aren't hiring very much these days. My wife has submitted her resume on all the job listing sites and a couple agencies. There just isn't much going on right now. Good luck to your buddy.

robk
02-06-2007, 12:17 PM
It just seems as if people aren't hiring very much these days. My wife has submitted her resume on all the job listing sites and a couple agencies. There just isn't much going on right now. Good luck to your buddy.
Thanks Lue... I think part of the problem is that all the big banks and mortgage companies that are so prevalent in the OC are either not hiring much or are downsizing... I just came out of that industry last year and I'm glad I did, most of the people I know who stayed are looking at layoffs or are not going anywhere inside the companies.

superdave013
02-06-2007, 12:18 PM
sorry bro but 9 months???? He's not looking very hard if it's been that long.

Biglue
02-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks Lue... I think part of the problem is that all the big banks and mortgage companies that are so prevalent in the OC are either not hiring much or are downsizing... I just came out of that industry last year and I'm glad I did, most of the people I know who stayed are looking at layoffs or are not going anywhere inside the companies.
Dont mention it.
I use several agencies here at work and they are having trouble as well. You should see some of the folks we get referred to us. It's hard to place people right now. My wife is fairly well qualified in what she does but no one is paying either. Hopefully as we get a little further into the year it gets easier for unemployed folks.

dumbandyoung
02-06-2007, 12:39 PM
So what has he just been collecting unemployment for the last 9 months? that a long time to be outta work. Ill keep my out for anything in the mortgage company.

robk
02-06-2007, 01:17 PM
sorry bro but 9 months???? He's not looking very hard if it's been that long.
Same exact thing I've been telling him day after day. I'm surprised the guy still talks to me, I thought he'd have gotten tired of me repeating the same sh*t every time we talk.
He did have one job, but it was only a two week assignment.
I'm not here to defend the guy, just trying one last time to help him out.
So what has he just been collecting unemployment for the last 9 months? that a long time to be outta work. Ill keep my out for anything in the mortgage company.
Well, three months of that was on a severance package and then there was the two week assignment. The longest I was ever out of work was three months and I thought my life was over. Thanks for keeping your eyes open!
Dont mention it.
I use several agencies here at work and they are having trouble as well. You should see some of the folks we get referred to us. It's hard to place people right now. My wife is fairly well qualified in what she does but no one is paying either. Hopefully as we get a little further into the year it gets easier for unemployed folks.
I had similar problems hiring for the last position I had open here. They were referring people way above the required skillset for the position, so things must be tough.
Rob

robk
02-06-2007, 01:27 PM
My wife was outta work and tried very hard, Monster etc. She had a couple of interveiws but nothing panned out. A friend called out of the blue and asked if she'd like to interveiw...friends help.
Since she got hired (of course) she's gotten lots of offers, but most assume you will relocate or have no work experience.
RobK, you're being a good guy trying to help. Sometimes it hard to get someone that's been kicked in the junk to stand up...
Two layoffs in a row, just about 1 year apart. I was hit by both of them as well. Talk about feeling unmotivated when it seems like you're only gonna get kicked out the door anyway.
Friends definitely help, and it seems in most cases it's the only way you get anywhere at that level where you don't quite have enough experience to make yourself marketable but have progressed past minimum wage-level work.

welk2party
02-06-2007, 01:48 PM
I will be hiring in the next few weeks, but I need somone that is skilled with some accounting, and office management...I am having a hard time finding someone that fits. I am amazed at how many candidates no show for interviews.