PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk IPOD!

beyondhelpin
02-07-2007, 10:23 AM
I guess its is time to move towards the light! I just got a hard drive with about 17 gig of clean high quality mp3s. Looks like its time to get an IPOD. Thinking 8 gig Nano. Heres where it get a touch more tricky........Got to convert the boat, daughters suv, truck, wifes car, and the home stereo to the play and operate the IPOD seamlessly. Also needs to mount clean and charge the IPOD battery. I have talked to about 4 or 5 stereo shops and big box stores so far and I keep getting conflicting answers.
* Home stereo looks to be pretty easy. Just going to get one of the docking stations with a remote.
* Daughters suv has a 8 month old Pioneer Premier (I think) DEH-680MP. It is IPOD compatable. So just going to use The Pioneer CB- II100I Ipod interface. Only thing is dont know what kind of control to expect. I have been told it will control every thing perfectly to it will be slow and somwhat eratic with no contol of playlist. We will see.
* My truck has a 2 year old Pioneer Premier DEH-760mp. Been told the full spectrum of answers on this one. Will it charge yes...no? Will I have full control of IPOD with Pioneer interface, again have had both answers...yes and no and some in between. Will the headunit properly read out song info. Most said yes, one said no. WTF!!! This is starting to piss me off. Willing to dump a decent amount of coin but I want specific performance before I do. Dont want to buy the interface and it not work right. Then I just have to yank it all out and go with a new head unit. Kind of leaning towards the new head unit. I hate to waste money!!! Looking at the new Pioneer Premier DEH-P680UB that comes out later this month. It has, supposedly, seamless operation without the interface. Anybody have have any answers or suggestions?
* Wife has an Audi A6 with the factory head unit. Dont know what the hell to do here. May just go with the FM transmitter cradle that plugs into the cigarette lighter for a lack of options. Dont want to because of the drop in sound quality but dont want to go thru the expensive of installing a new headunit (would also have to replace speakers and throw in sub with a couple of amps, dont really like doing things half ass) in a car we may sell soon.
* Boat has a 3 or 4 year old Kenwood with transom control. Dont know the model #. Think I am going to replace it even though one store told me it will work perfectly with a Kenwood interface. Just dont think it will. Anybody know? If I replace the head unit I also want to keep transom control. Does anyone know if my old tansom control will work with an IPOD compatable Kenwood (or other brand) marine stereo? If not, I would like a marine headunit with transom control with a LCD screen on it that will contol IPOD and show song info on it.
Just kinda still in the dark with all the the different answers out there. Anyone out there in cyberboatland have their rides set up right or are knowledgable in the IPOD area???
Alright this is probally the longest probally the longest post I have ever done and the tears are starting to short out my computer. Please help me!!!!!:cry: :cry: :D
One more thing, anyone have any suggestions for a clean mount for boat or car?

buzzaro
02-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Definatly the easiest thing would be the Itrip or cradle as you mentioned, and the Itrip would be able to take from car to car to boat to home or whatever. The only real sound quality drop you notice is if youre not on clean station. Im sure the real audiophiles would notice the difference but it sounds good to me. My .02 on it, easy solution and good enough quality wise. Good Luck with your project.

beyondhelpin
02-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Definatly the easiest thing would be the Itrip or cradle as you mentioned, and the Itrip would be able to take from car to car to boat to home or whatever. The only real sound quality drop you notice is if youre not on clean station. Im sure the real audiophiles would notice the difference but it sounds good to me. My .02 on it, easy solution and good enough quality wise. Good Luck with your project.
Dont know if I would call myself an audiophile but I can definatly hear the difference. Not really an option for me except for the Audi but thanks for the suggestion.

robk
02-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Check your stereo manufacturers websites regarding their iPod interface compatibility... most will have notes regarding the level of functionality you will get when using their iPod interface. I have a Pioneer DVD unit and iPod interface in my truck and its awesome... my gf used to have an Alpine head unit with the Alpine adapter and it worked great too.
Just be careful of the aftermarket iPod interfaces that claimed to be controlled by factory head units, as well as certain cradles and transmitters because then you'll usually end up doing all of the control from the iPod itself and only control volume on the head unit.
Rob

twowheeledfish
02-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Bro, an 8 gig nano is the same price as a 30 gig video iPod. Get the 30 gig and put ALL of your 17 gigs of music in one place. If you already have 17 gigs of music, I'd spring for the 80 gig iPod though. Just my 2 cents.

beyondhelpin
02-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Check your stereo manufacturers websites regarding their iPod interface compatibility... most will have notes regarding the level of functionality you will get when using their iPod interface. I have a Pioneer DVD unit and iPod interface in my truck and its awesome... my gf used to have an Alpine head unit with the Alpine adapter and it worked great too.
Just be careful of the aftermarket iPod interfaces that claimed to be controlled by factory head units, as well as certain cradles and transmitters because then you'll usually end up doing all of the control from the iPod itself and only control volume on the head unit.
Rob
Have checked. The Pioneer site said my daughters will control an IPOD but the owners manual said it might not contol all functions. It does not say anything about the one in the truck controling the IPOD but I have been told by a couple of shops that since it plays mp3s it will. Who knows. Also dont know if it will charge.

beyondhelpin
02-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Bro, an 8 gig nano is the same price as a 30 gig video iPod. Get the 30 gig and put ALL of your 17 gigs of music in one place. If you already have 17 gigs of music, I'd spring for the 80 gig iPod though. Just my 2 cents.
I also plan on using out jogging, in the gym, and other activities. The video IPOD is a little to large physicaly. Besides not all the music I have is music I want to load on an IPOD. I guess I am just to picky!

Chubby4Life
02-07-2007, 11:46 AM
I have premier head units in both trucks and boat. I use the cb-100 (or whatever) and they work great. Functionally, don't rely on the addendum page that comes with it as I've found its hard to follow. Play around with it for a few minutes and you'll figure it out. Hope this helps,
Chris

dumbandyoung
02-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Do NOT get an iitrip or i-cradle. I have them both. They put out a lot of static. They sound like shit. Then you have to change the station every 5 miles you drive. Its terrible. The Itrip is not as bad as the cradle. the cradles are around $100 and the itrip is about $50. For the Boat Just go to a stereo shop and get the alpine with direct in for $150. You will save the head ache. In my opinion I think Serius or Xm is the best for boats because you dont have to worry about that ipod going in the water...lol I have the the alpine head unit. I bought it at marks auto sound for about $150..You can hit up Wet Hull, He probably has something similar and he gives a discount to hot boaters.
For my home stereo I just have rca cables that plug into the ipod from the back of the head unit..($10)

HCS
02-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Why would you throw your ipod in the water?

beyondhelpin
02-07-2007, 12:14 PM
I have premier head units in both trucks and boat. I use the cb-100 (or whatever) and they work great. Functionally, don't rely on the addendum page that comes with it as I've found its hard to follow. Play around with it for a few minutes and you'll figure it out. Hope this helps,
Chris
Which model Preimer do you have? Does it give full control, charge, and song info?

dumbandyoung
02-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Why would you throw your ipod in the water?
Not purposely throw but accidentally drop, c'mon man pull your head out of your butt. lol

beyondhelpin
02-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Do NOT get an iitrip or i-cradle. I have them both. They put out a lot of static. They sound like shit. Then you have to change the station every 5 miles you drive. Its terrible. The Itrip is not as bad as the cradle. the cradles are around $100 and the itrip is about $50. For the Boat Just go to a stereo shop and get the alpine with direct in for $150. You will save the head ache. In my opinion I think Serius or Xm is the best for boats because you dont have to worry about that ipod going in the water...lol I have the the alpine head unit. I bought it at marks auto sound for about $150..You can hit up Wet Hull, He probably has something similar and he gives a discount to hot boaters.
For my home stereo I just have rca cables that plug into the ipod from the back of the head unit..($10)
Agree on the cradle. Is your Alpine marine with transom control? For $150?:D

dumbandyoung
02-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Agree on the cradle. Is your Alpine marine with transom control? For $150?:D
No its not a marine unit and I didn't have the transom control unit..wouldnt wanna out that on a jet boat. You can pick those up I think $50. Im not sure if it controls the Ipod or if you have to buy a special one. I know Mark at Marks Auto Sound so I got the head at cost when they first came out a year and half ago. I see them in the paper for 175 now.

ULTRA28
02-07-2007, 12:53 PM
As long as we're talking about I pods. My hard drive on my lap top crashed and I lost everything. Is is possible to load all of the music from my ipod back onto my i tunes? From what I understand I will lose everything on the i pod next time I plug it in.

Racer277
02-07-2007, 12:58 PM
As long as we're talking about I pods. My hard drive on my lap top crashed and I lost everything. Is is possible to load all of the music from my ipod back onto my i tunes? From what I understand I will lose everything on the i pod next time I plug it in.
Define crashed.
Ignoring the Ipod for a second. Does the laptop boot? Does the HD spin?
You may be able to recover your data if it's important.

ULTRA28
02-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Define crashed.
Ignoring the Ipod for a second. Does the laptop boot? Does the HD spin?
You may be able to recover your data if it's important.
The IT guy I sent it to said it's wasted. They put a new hard drive in it, but now I have nothing, no pictures, music, software,or anything else that was on that lap top. I was thinking about trying to find someone to send the hard drive to to see if they could get the info off of it. I don't think the company I had do the work really tried all that hard. Any suggetions would be great.

Racer277
02-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Do you have the old hard drive?
There are plenty of places to send it out, it is expensive to recover, you won't do it for music.
But,
If you have the old hard drive, we can try an adapter from PC to IDE just to access the hard drive from another pc.
Just a thought, if the data is valuable.

Singleton
02-07-2007, 01:16 PM
JW -
Use the tool called "CopyPod"
I have used it twice any it will copy your iPod back to your computer without issues. Cost is $20. I have a copy, but not sure if you could download and use my copy. PM if you wan tto try it, but $20 is not that much.
Link to sight where I purchased it (http://www.copypod.net)

Chubby4Life
02-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Which model Preimer do you have? Does it give full control, charge, and song info?
Truck #1: DEH-P700R w/CD-IB100. The head unit is about 8 years old but controls the I-Pod perfectly. It uses the function button to control the I-Pod but displays only the function you have operating. (Example: Genre, Play list, Artist, or Song title.)
Truck #2: Avic-Z1 w/CD-IB100II. The head unit is a touch screen which requires the 2nd. gen. controller. On the head unit's screen it shows everything you would see on the I-Pod's screen and is very easy to navigate through the menu options.
Boat: DEH-P860MP w/CD-IB100. I don't have much info on this since I'm not in the boat enough to really figure it out. Going off memory though, I think it works very similar to truck #1.
Chris

Chubby4Life
02-07-2007, 02:00 PM
JW -
I have used it twice any it will copy your iPod back to your computer without issues. Cost is $20. I have a copy, but not sure if you could download and use my copy. PM if you wan tto try it, but $20 is not that much.
CopyPod also works great for transferring other people's I-Tunes to your library.:D

BEER&WATER
02-07-2007, 02:09 PM
check this out it is the shizznet www.sonos.com

HCS
02-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Not purposely throw but accidentally drop, c'mon man pull your head out of your butt. lol
:D

robk
02-07-2007, 02:35 PM
JW -
WinAmp will allow you to copy to/from your iPod for free...
Have checked. The Pioneer site said my daughters will control an IPOD but the owners manual said it might not contol all functions. It does not say anything about the one in the truck controling the IPOD but I have been told by a couple of shops that since it plays mp3s it will. Who knows. Also dont know if it will charge.
Charging is function of the iPod interface unit, not the head unit, so you should be charging as long as the iPod interface unit has power.
I love how the manufacturer can claim "might" or "might not" work. That's great :) You think they'd know their own products. But, its worked for me on all of the Pioneers I've seen that were physically capable of connecting with the iPod interface.
Rob

ultra26deck
02-07-2007, 07:47 PM
hey John bring it on by to me and I can take care of it

ultra26deck
02-07-2007, 07:50 PM
In fact John I will be at the boat show on Sat if you want to bring it by I'll take care of you

beyondhelpin
02-07-2007, 10:02 PM
WinAmp will allow you to copy to/from your iPod for free...
Charging is function of the iPod interface unit, not the head unit, so you should be charging as long as the iPod interface unit has power.
I love how the manufacturer can claim "might" or "might not" work. That's great :) You think they'd know their own products. But, its worked for me on all of the Pioneers I've seen that were physically capable of connecting with the iPod interface.
Rob
The charging was a big concern. Now I just have to check if I can hook directly to the interface with the DEH-760MP head unit I have. My guuess is it will.
Anybody have any suggestions on the boat for a marine stereo with an LCD tramson control which also controls and reads the IPOD? I am going for all new equipment there.

twowheeledfish
02-07-2007, 11:45 PM
I also plan on using out jogging, in the gym, and other activities. The video IPOD is a little to large physicaly. Besides not all the music I have is music I want to load on an IPOD. I guess I am just to picky!
I use my video ipod jogging, on my bike, my motorcycle, the gym, the boat, the jeep. I guess size has never been a problem for me...:D

Racey
02-07-2007, 11:49 PM
The thing that sucks about the deal that tunes your ipod to a certain radiostation is if you live down in la there are sooooooo many damn radio stations that you can't find one to use in alot of areas cause its constant interference.,,, my .02 after use sirius with a tuner deal down in the LA area.

Windy
02-08-2007, 07:55 AM
I use my video ipod jogging, on my bike, my motorcycle, the gym, the boat, the jeep. I guess size has never been a problem for me...:D
Me to. I have an armband for my video IPOD, and it works great at the gym. I love it!

Longtime Lurker
02-08-2007, 07:56 AM
I have Alpine head units in my cars, they work great. In my wifes car I put in the 9851...it is a direct connect to the ipod (no converter). It works a lot better (faster) than the HU in my truck (9847 I think) that has the converter.
If you are worried about the size of the Ipod when you workout, why not by the 30 gig (same price as the 8 gig) for cars, boat, etc. and pick up a shuffle for working out. they are $80. I have a 80 gig for the cars and such, plus a 1g shuffle for when I work out.
with 17gigs of music on your computer already, you'll only be able to take half with you (provided you don't buy anymore music ever). Being able to take all my music where ever I go is a pretty nice thing to have. Just my 2 pennies.
Robert