PDA

View Full Version : Painted door handles & mirrors

dumbandyoung
02-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Have any of you taken apart you F250 mirrors and taken all the door handles off the truck to paint them. Is it a b!tch or what? Im thing of doing it myself. I took it to a guy who wanted $400 bucks to do it if they were off the truck...I told him to go f himself.. lol So have any of you done it? Where did you get the paint?

Chubby4Life
02-07-2007, 11:35 AM
My truck came painted but I have an idea that may help you. Instead of removing the entire handle assembly, why not just loosen the backing nuts on the handle then mask off around it and go to work. This way you won't spend all day f-ing around with those retainer clips. The mirror's should be fairly easy to dis-assemble and paint.

ChumpChange
02-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Where did you get the paint?
Pep Boys! :D Just buy some spray paint.

dumbandyoung
02-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Pep Boys! :D Just buy some spray paint.
Do they sell the paint in a can that sprays real clean? Ive seen them do it on some tv show...but thats tv.

XFactor
02-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Have any of you taken apart you F250 mirrors and taken all the door handles off the truck to paint them. Is it a b!tch or what? Im thing of doing it myself. I took it to a guy who wanted $400 bucks to do it if they were off the truck...I told him to go f himself.. lol So have any of you done it? Where did you get the paint?
Do you have any idea what material costs are today? How about labor and overhead? $400 sounds very reasonable if he provides a warranty.

dumbandyoung
02-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Do you have any idea what material costs are today? How about labor and overhead? $400 sounds very reasonable if he provides a warranty.
Dude, I think $400 to spray my handles and mirrors is ridiculous. C'mon!
Besides I was going to take them to him apart and prepped. All I wanted him to do was spray them. $400 is a rip off. What would it take him??..maybe 2 hours at the most to spray? thats $200 an hour. Now if I was asking him to disassemble my truck and put it back together that would be a different story.

riverbound
02-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Besides I was going to take them to him apart and prepped. All I wanted him to do was spray them. $400 is a rip off. What would it take him??..maybe 2 hours at the most to spray? thats $200 an hour. Now if I was asking him to disassemble my truck and put it back together that would be a different story.
99% of the time they will have to go over and redo your prep work., so you prepping them doesnt save any time. I have dealt with a lot of paint shops in the past and that seems about average. I have seen them done for less and you can definitely tell (6 months later paint falling off)

ChumpChange
02-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Go down to J & M on Arrow and Badillo and ask Jim.

welk2party
02-07-2007, 02:12 PM
It seems like a good price to me.

dumbandyoung
02-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Go down to J & M on Arrow and Badillo and ask Jim.
for sure!..THANKS

Not So Fast
02-07-2007, 02:55 PM
I had a little run in with the tail gate (the wife actually) on my truck and I went to 3 places for a fix. This was a little crease about 1"1/2 long and I would bring them the tailgate and leave it. All estimates were from $625-$750 so I put a tailgate cap on it and am happy. The paint supplies by themselves were over a hundred bucks but I thought it was outfrigginrageous. Everything you do nowadays is expensive as hell. Used to get the sponsons regelled for a couple of hundred maybe three, now its around five hundred:rolleyes: NSF

pixilatedpussy
02-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Yes, but we own a body shop. Word of the wise.....dont do it yourself. Not a very good idea.

EmpirE231
02-07-2007, 04:33 PM
I need to get the fender flares, mirrors and bumper covers painted to match on my 2500hd... lemme know when you find the good price.

pixilatedpussy
02-07-2007, 04:36 PM
I need to get the fender flares, mirrors and bumper covers painted to match on my 2500hd... lemme know when you find the good price.
Call my husbands shop & he will hook you guys up........as he always does. 949)951-5265
Ask for Geza:) Tell him you are from Hot Boat & he will take good care of ya!

dumbandyoung
02-07-2007, 04:36 PM
I had a little run in with the tail gate (the wife actually) on my truck and I went to 3 places for a fix. This was a little crease about 1"1/2 long and I would bring them the tailgate and leave it. All estimates were from $625-$750 so I put a tailgate cap on it and am happy. The paint supplies by themselves were over a hundred bucks but I thought it was outfrigginrageous. Everything you do nowadays is expensive as hell. Used to get the sponsons regelled for a couple of hundred maybe three, now its around five hundred:rolleyes: NSF
One time I put a tiny ding in my ex-girlfriends tundra. ..I spent half a day driving it to different body shops. It cost me $425 not to forget the ear full from her right after it happened.. Now there was alot of work there ... because the had to take apart the whole door, and replace the tundra emblems. So that I under stand. I just cant grasp paying 400 to get my handles and mirrors painted. If anyone can beat $400 hit me up. I might hit up billy b, maybe he can give me a hot boat discount.lol

Boatcop
02-07-2007, 04:59 PM
www.paintscratch.com
Rattle can paint-code matched spray.
Got perfect match for my '69 Bug, and my '96 Sierra. With the clear-coat spray, you can't tell the difference between stock and touch-up.
Have codes and paint for ANY vehicle, ANY year (incl 2007).

OutCole'd
02-07-2007, 05:04 PM
$200 per hour and the materials were free??

TUNNEL T
02-07-2007, 07:16 PM
heres a pic of my trucks handles i didn't do the mirrors cuz i thought that would be to much silver ! http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2429DSC00477.JPG

Nord
02-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Yes, but we own a body shop. Word of the wise.....dont do it yourself. Not a very good idea.
LOL.

thumbs
02-07-2007, 07:32 PM
I took it to a guy who wanted $400 bucks to do it if they were off the truck...I told him to go f himself..
So you go to this guys shop and he quotes you a price that you don't like and you tell him to go F himself? I call bullshit.
Do you always do that when you don't like the price you are quoted?

dumbandyoung
02-07-2007, 07:42 PM
So you go to this guys shop and he quotes you a price that you don't like and you tell him to go F himself? I call bullshit.
Do you always do that when you don't like the price you are quoted?
I said it under my breath....Oh, and i was supplying the paint.
Boat cop ..how long ago did you do it? has it held up?

dumbandyoung
02-07-2007, 07:43 PM
heres a pic of my trucks handles i didn't do the mirrors cuz i thought that would be to much silver ! http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2429DSC00477.JPG
nice

dumbandyoung
02-07-2007, 07:44 PM
I saw your truck in a thread before... bitch'n! did you do it your self? If not what did it cost you? I have the same truck and color

ULTRA26 # 1
02-07-2007, 07:58 PM
In So Cal, body and paint labor rates are less than $50 per hour, Book time on all of these parts shouldn't exceed 3 hours. Paint and material is calculated at about $38 per labor hour. Add a little time to match and sand and buff and your looking right at $300
John M

mobldj
02-07-2007, 08:20 PM
thats not a bad price,paid that just to smooth and paint my mirrors on this truck

pixilatedpussy
02-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Unless adhesion isn't a priority. If it's not, then go ahead and do them yourself :D
LOL!

pixilatedpussy
02-08-2007, 10:13 AM
:D I said it under my breath....Oh, and i was supplying the paint.
Boat cop ..how long ago did you do it? has it held up?
WTF??? Im sorry, not to be a bitch, but, as an owner.....:D Do you go to McDonalds & supply your own meat??? Not many body shops like you to supply your own paint. Especially if they shoot a different brand. Just an FYI....'
Ok, back to the subject!:devil:

Rattle Can Lou
02-08-2007, 10:35 AM
I own a body shop also. Just painted the flares on my 07 2500 HD. I ordered Escalade handles and couldnt buy them to match the Victory Red on the truck. So now we will paint the handles to match. What a pain in the ass. I can tell you that if the body shop is any good at all they are busy. Every guy in the shop is paid on commision. It's called flag hours. These guys are used to making 2 to 2 1/2 hours per 1 hour worked. The last thing the painter wants to see is somebody walking in with four handles and a can of paint and says "could ya give me a price on these." The first thing I think when a guy says "I will supply the paint", CHEAP PHUCK! I will guarantee you that you bought the cheap line of paint and you walk in and nothing in my shop can be used with the brand of paint you carried in. Why do you think you can buy the paint any cheaper than me? Did you buy the reducer? How bout the clear? Did ya happen to pick up the catalyst for the clear??? Oh yeah, how about the flex additive for those flares???? Did ya get that too? If you did get all the right stuff....then you spent in excess of 200.00. You will have material left over...but in your case it is hazardous waste. So now go down and see what it costs to legally get rid of what's left. Yeah, call it a rant but you need to realize the reality of what it takes to do something and offer you a warranty. I am willing to bet no matter what I charge you to paint those fricken handles...if they peel. you will be back...

dumbandyoung
02-08-2007, 10:41 AM
In So Cal, body and paint labor rates are less than $50 per hour, Book time on all of these parts shouldn't exceed 3 hours. Paint and material is calculated at about $38 per labor hour. Add a little time to match and sand and buff and your looking right at $300
John M
Now $300 sounds like a good price!
Okay so I talk to a guy in a parking lot at Stator Bros last night that had his 4 door handles, tailgate handle and mirrors done on a 2500 ... He took them to the guy in a box and said I need these painted, he paid $315. He had it done two years ago and they look great. I will be going to his guy a soon as I have a car to borrow for 2 or 3 days.
If anyone wants to beat this price.. let me know.
Parts are off 2006 F250:
(4) Door handles
(1) Tailgate handle
(2) Mirrors
(1) Keypad for driver side door
** all parts will be off the truck...

squirt'nmyload
02-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Now $300 sounds like a good price!
Okay so I talk to a guy in a parking lot at Stator Bros last night that had his 4 door handles, tailgate handle and mirrors done on a 2500 ... He took them to the guy in a box and said I need these painted, he paid $315. He had it done two years ago and they look great. I will be going to his guy a soon as I have a car to borrow for 2 or 3 days.
If anyone wants to beat this price.. let me know.
Parts are off 2006 F250:
(4) Door handles
(1) Tailgate handle
(2) Mirrors
(1) Keypad for driver side door
** all parts will be off the truck
just wondering, did you call his guy???....two years is a long time and maybe prices have gone up:)

dumbandyoung
02-08-2007, 11:02 AM
just wondering, did you call his guy???....two years is a long time and maybe prices have gone up:)
I asked him that. he said it shouldn't be a problem. If I have to man up and pay more i will do it. I want them done regardless and doing it myself isn't an option, im a horrible painter. lol I just dont wanna pay 4 bills for it. But I guess its like buying 18's or 20's you have to pay the price.
I dont mean to offend any of you Body Shop owners out there, I just cant understand paying that much.

squirt'nmyload
02-08-2007, 11:07 AM
I asked him that. he said it shouldn't be a problem. If I have to man up and pay more i will do it. I want them done regardless and doing it myself isn't an option, im a horrible painter. lol I just dont wanna pay 4 bills for it. But I guess its like buying 18's or 20's you have to pay the price.
I dont mean to offend any of you Body Shop owners out there, I just cant understand paying that much.
yeah ,imo it would definately be better to have a pro do them since those parts have alot of contact from opening the doors and tailgate.....rattle canning is hit or miss for me usually, sometimes it looks great and sometimes it don't:)

Rattle Can Lou
02-08-2007, 11:21 AM
No offense taken. I was just trying to show you the other side of it. I don't blame you for trying. I'm glad you figured out it was above your talent level. Adhesion is tough with any plastic product.

ChumpChange
02-08-2007, 11:30 AM
You should start a thread about real estate commissions...that's always a fun one. :D

dumbandyoung
02-08-2007, 01:17 PM
You should start a thread about real estate commissions...that's always a fun one. :D
I don't talk Real Estate on here. Im on here to get my mind off work. lol
besides I learned my lesson about trying to throw in my .02