PDA

View Full Version : Amps mounted in the engine compartment

driverno8
02-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Doing the stereo in the boat next weekend. Wanna put the amps in the engine compartment. Right hand side wall. I've seen them in there before, but is it a good idea? I can understand them getting hot. But the motor isn't on everytime the the stereo is on. And if the motor is on, then there's air coming in because I'm moving. Any suggestions or am I fine?

rivercrazy
02-08-2007, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't do it. Engine bay installs are really hard on amp. Between the heat, humidity, potential for water, etc, its just a matter of time before your replacing amps.

707dog
02-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Dont Do It!!..take The Chance Of Burning Up The Amp And Shorting Out Your System. Possably A Fire!! Heat Is A Amps Worst Nightmare..

h2oski2fast
02-08-2007, 09:44 AM
The motor will hold heat for hours after it is shut off, thus increasing the ambient temperature in the compartment. There are many other better suited places for amps.

atomickitn
02-08-2007, 09:56 AM
if there is a divider between the amps and eng and they are not next to the eng then you should be fine .. i have had no problems with mine and they have been there for about 4 yrs , and no moister problem either :)

DMOORE
02-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Only one thing kills amps, heat.
Darrell.

shippingguy
02-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Doing the stereo in the boat next weekend. Wanna put the amps in the engine compartment. Right hand side wall. I've seen them in there before, but is it a good idea? I can understand them getting hot. But the motor isn't on everytime the the stereo is on. And if the motor is on, then there's air coming in because I'm moving. Any suggestions or am I fine?
Had them in my last 27 Shadow for over 120 hours and never had a heat up issue nor failure. Had one on each side panel. Each application and amp is different though.

ChumpChange
02-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Only one thing kills amps, heat.
Darrell.
What about submerging them in water? Lighting them on fire? Dropping them off a tall building? :D

driverno8
02-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys for the responses. Guess they're getting moved.
Now another quick question for you guys. Would you run 2 more batteries? We're doing (1) 4x350 and (2) 1x400 on the amps. Going to 3 sets of compents (5.25 & tweeter) and (4) 10"s. What about capacitor. Just trying to figure this all out. I read one thing, hear another, stereo shop says another. You know how it goes. And if I do run 2 more batteries and a capacitor can my alternator charge all 4 batteries on the boat (stock 490HO). Thanks in advance!

hoolign
02-08-2007, 10:37 AM
What about submerging them in water? Lighting them on fire? Dropping them off a tall building? :D
You forgot shotgun blasts! :D

squirt'nmyload
02-08-2007, 10:41 AM
You forgot shotgun blasts! :D
and getting dragged down the road from behing a car:D

hoolign
02-08-2007, 10:42 AM
and getting dragged down the road from behing a car:D
Using them for docking cushions on the space shuttle would render them usless as well!:D
as well as
- seat cushions for rosie o Donnell
this could get interesting ...

ChumpChange
02-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Nice. :D

DMOORE
02-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Ya got me there.:jawdrop:
Darrell.

Moabirick
02-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Now another quick question for you guys. Would you run 2 more batteries? We're doing (1) 4x350 and (2) 1x400 on the amps. Going to 3 sets of compents (5.25 & tweeter) and (4) 10"s. What about capacitor. Just trying to figure this all out. I read one thing, hear another, stereo shop says another. You know how it goes. And if I do run 2 more batteries and a capacitor can my alternator charge all 4 batteries on the boat (stock 490HO). What about battery caps? Thanks in advance!
I have 496 HO, 2 batteries, 2 amPs, only 2 10" subs, 3 sets of components. My batteries will run all day no problem. I do try to charge them every night so they will be fresh for the next day. If have run them for 6-8 hours and had the amps start cutting out, but that was after a loud day of playing. Hope this helps.

Cole Trickle
02-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Now another quick question for you guys. Would you run 2 more batteries? We're doing (1) 4x350 and (2) 1x400 on the amps. Going to 3 sets of compents (5.25 & tweeter) and (4) 10"s. What about capacitor. Just trying to figure this all out. I read one thing, hear another, stereo shop says another. You know how it goes. And if I do run 2 more batteries and a capacitor can my alternator charge all 4 batteries on the boat (stock 490HO). What about battery caps? Thanks in advance!
1150 watts give or take will kill a battery fairly fast railing the system.
The alternator will not be able to charge 4 bateries and if you are drawing off the motor batteries you run the risk of being stranded at the end of the day....:(;) (Been there a couple times and it sucks
We run our stereo (approx 1500-1800 watts) off 2 stand alone odyssey 1700 batteries. We wired them through a seperate perko switch so you can choose what battery your running. we also re charge every night when we yank the boat out of the water. (Iota on board charger)

Jyruiz
02-08-2007, 11:04 AM
I have 4 batts in my boat, but 3 are for the system and one is for starting only. So far, no problems but I don't play it loud all day and I charge them every night.

Havasu Hangin'
02-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Let me guess- the stereo shop is trying to sell you a cap? lol...
Skip the cap and upgrade the alt.
How many batteries (storage) you need depends on the watts, amp efficiency, how loud you'll play it, and how long you'll play it for. Then, it just a little math....

squirt'nmyload
02-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Using them for docking cushions on the space shuttle would render them usless as well!:D
as well as
FLMAO.....they wouldn't stand a chance

moneypit
02-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Don't do it.. if you are in the arizona heat... you will for sure over heat you amp if you don't get moisture in it first. Cheetah placed amps in the engine area and mine always heated.

kachinakid
02-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Add a bilge air blower to it. My amps were over heating alot, then i added the fan and hasnt cut out once. The fan is very cheap also. Wiring is simple as well, just just add it to your remote wire so it is only on when the stereo is.

driverno8
02-08-2007, 12:58 PM
So far looks like I'm not mounting them in the engine compartment. LOL I'm thinking two batteries for starting the boat. And two more for the stereo with an isolater. Definently getting an onboard charger. Great idea. Thanks! Keep the suggetions coming.

charlyox
02-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Amps hate heat.:mad:

Liquid Courage
02-08-2007, 02:27 PM
I ran three different systems in my old Baja and mounted the amps in four different locations.
1) in the engine compartment....Problem: Too hot in Az. The amp would clip ALL the time. The engine compartment stays hot a looooong time after you shut down.
2) under the rear bench seat....Problem: No air flow and water dripping down iside the seat.
3) Outside and under the rear bench seat in between the subs. Problem: exposure to water. Being near the floorboard and under the rear bench left it exposed to water.
4) Under the dash, upside down. This finally worked. Ther were in the shade of the dash, yet exposed to the air.
Our Cig has 4 Eclipse EA4000's, two SW7200 12" Eclipse subs, and 3 sets of sp6500's Eclipse 2ways. 1600 Watts. The amps are mounted in a little closet in the cabin. I was worried they would get too hot but those amps for some reason run really cool and I have not had them clip yet.
We have two deep cycle marine batteries and switch to a single battery when we're chillin for hours listening to music. Haven't had a problem yet.
good luck with your install. Do it right and you'll be happy. Do it wrong and you'll be pissed off all the time at the lake!!:D

pixilatedpussy
02-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Ours are in there & we never had a problem til......the end of last season & took a wave (from a jack ass in the no wake zone!) in the back with engine cover up & fried one!:mad:

mrs.rvrluvr
02-08-2007, 02:52 PM
just call CarToyz in Havasu and let them put it in, They are the BEST.
Ask for JP, or Frank. You wont be dissapointed

riverbound
02-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Now another quick question for you guys. Would you run 2 more batteries? We're doing (1) 4x350 and (2) 1x400 on the amps. Going to 3 sets of compents (5.25 & tweeter) and (4) 10"s. What about capacitor. Just trying to figure this all out. I read one thing, hear another, stereo shop says another. You know how it goes. And if I do run 2 more batteries and a capacitor can my alternator charge all 4 batteries on the boat (stock 490HO). Thanks in advance!
I would run as many batteries as you can afford or have room for. dont waste your money on caps in a boat. I agree with everyone else...DONT put amps in the engine compartment, it is probably one of the worst places in a boat to put them. Granted some people have had luck, I have seen MANY people have problems. In all reality if you dont trust the shop doing your work 100% take it somewhere else.

riverbound
02-08-2007, 03:11 PM
they are decent...would not call them the "BEST" ;)

02HoWaRd26
02-08-2007, 04:42 PM
PIXI you fried an amp with one I can still get it replaced I think...

pixilatedpussy
02-08-2007, 09:21 PM
PIXI you fried an amp with one I can still get it replaced I think...
Let me know cuz we just pulled it out a couple weeks ago & brought it home so we could try & match it!:( :D

77charger
02-08-2007, 09:51 PM
My boat is a 21 eliminator so space is tigh.I ended up removing passanger seat and mounted an Xtant604 amp to it.
got a piece of 1/2 inch ply set amp on top of it got mounting screws lined up drilled and installed from bottom of board now i know where amp will go.
then took that piece of plywood got some liquid nails caulked the back of the ply then screwed onto the seat now have the mounting screws sticking up
took amp and slid onto screws then bolted on this was done 4-5 years ago has been thru havasu chop,lake powell storms and still mounted solid.
If you look at my boat it is no where in sight,gets air flow,still in a dry spot,not an easy target to get ripped off,etcBut cant take a pic of it cause my arms aint that long and if i need to acces it it does take me 15 minutes to get to it are the only drawbacks.

dumbandyoung
02-08-2007, 10:04 PM
DONT DO IT! It always starts out with a couple of blown fuses..but then..the amp fries. And wherever you put them.. use fans. hello its gets hot at the river. try to avoid putting them near the motor unless there is no engine cover or putting them under seats. You will kill them! In the summer I wont even crank my stereo up too loud in my truck until the ac cools down the cab a little. Ive learned the hard with that too.:)
Oh and while we are talking about charging batteries, what kind of chargers do you all use. i have a cheap one that I bought at a yard sale for 20 bucks...i need to step it up

boats&bars
02-08-2007, 10:18 PM
mount an eu1000 honda gennie in the engine compartment to charge the batts and mount the amps as far forward as possible a 1 farrad cap might help

Pussywhippled
02-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Phebus just turned me on to Car Toyz...
On the Car Toyz website www.cartoyzofhavasu.com they have plenty of pictures with amps installed in the engine compartment.
The pictures shown are great and give me quite a few ideas what I'm going to do.

DILLIGAF
02-11-2007, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't do it. Engine bay installs are really hard on amp. Between the heat, humidity, potential for water, etc, its just a matter of time before your replacing amps.
Agree fully with RC

JetBoatRich
02-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Agree fully with RC
Agree with Tom, I had one in there once:sqeyes: short life:sqeyes:

IT'SONLYMONEY
02-11-2007, 02:46 PM
if you want to run it all day at the party then up grade to the 2000 honda gen istall. there are a few guys on the boards that can give you step by step and even picts. bottom line that is the way to go if you have the money.
i have 4 12's and eight 6.5's highs and mids. have two amps with no caps/stingers etc. they aren't needed. i have 4 batts, three for the stereo and one for the motor start on a perko switch. i run the stereo hard and have had no problems with failure. the amps are in the cab behind a seat. NO motor compartment, they will stay hot and shut off and even melt. had it happen.
good luck