PDA

View Full Version : What To Do?????

Mrs. Bear Down
02-08-2007, 11:27 AM
We have a situation going on that were not positive what to do about!!!
Our water bill came in and it reports that we are using 300gals of water per day!!! Now we aren't up there, and our neighbor doesn't see water pouring down the driveway. BUT we also don't have a key to get into the house with anyone either. We've had the toilets turned off, but not anything else. I know we have bubblers for the trees, but my neighbor says the trees look dry.
My neighbor turned the main water valve off... and now its a waiting game... is there a way a plumber can check if we have a leak without getting inside???
:jawdrop:
Please help think of something.... I'm worried sick out here!!!

uvindex
02-08-2007, 11:33 AM
My neighbor turned the main water valve off... and now its a waiting game... is there a way a plumber can check if we have a leak without getting inside???
:jawdrop:
Please help think of something.... I'm worried sick out here!!!How about asking the neighbor to turn the water back on then watch the water meter for movement? [It shouldn't move, of course.] (I'd make the drive if I were you -- in case anything in the house is wet it needs to be addressed quickly.) Good luck! :)
Also, is there a pool with an auto water filler thingie? Another thing to look at.

h2oski2fast
02-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Fed Ex a key to the neighbor.

HocusPocus
02-08-2007, 12:08 PM
i would have to drive out if it were me. good luck hope you get something figured out.

Desert Rat
02-08-2007, 12:23 PM
I've had my meter read wrong more then once. Have the neighbor look at the main meter (near the street most of the time) and see if the small wheel is moving with the water on. If so you may have a running toilet or fauchet leak. 300 gals a day seems to me a meter read wrong though.

Mrs.Racer277
02-08-2007, 12:24 PM
I would make a drive.....I would be to worried not to.
Good luck to you.

Kilrtoy
02-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Yvonne is around the corner, want her to stop by and check

Kilrtoy
02-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Wife said house is fine there is a water spot in the back of the house by the hose. Ground is damp. Maybe the neighbors are stealing your water. She can take the hose if you like

Jyruiz
02-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Thats why we always turn the water off when we leave, the blubblers stay on though.

Havasu1986
02-08-2007, 12:41 PM
We have a situation going on that were not positive what to do about!!!
Our water bill came in and it reports that we are using 300gals of water per day!!!
Please help think of something.... I'm worried sick out here!!!
If your water bill came today and you have been up there recently and there was no problem. A miss read is my bet.

Mrs. Bear Down
02-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Well Memo is shooting out there now... the interior idea is something to worry about!!
I'm hoping this is something minor... I had the water company go back out there and double check the meter... they "say" it was read correctly.
My neighbor has a pool, but we don't. People steal water?? :confused:
Well if there are any plumbers on line, can we call you if we find something? Or if you have a leak detector thingy??
Thanks!
Monica

Redneck
02-08-2007, 12:44 PM
give us a call if there is anything we can do

Havasu1986
02-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Thats why we always turn the water off when we leave, the blubblers stay on though.
I do the same..but the water line is still live from the meter at the street all the way to your house control valve. The underground still can break.

Jyruiz
02-08-2007, 12:49 PM
I do the same..but the water line is still live from the meter at the street all the way to your house control valve. The underground still can break.
Yes, but I rather it break out there than inside the house. Had a friend with a house out there, and a pipe in the kitchen busted. Had tons of water damage by the time he got to it. The insurance payed up, but I would hate to go thru all that hassle.

Havasu1986
02-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Yes, but I rather it break out there than inside the house. Had a friend with a house out there, and a pipe in the kitchen busted. Had tons of water damage by the time he got to it. The insurance payed up, but I would hate to go thru all that hassle.
I had the same thing happen to me at my other house..but if your showing water loss at the meter you could have a small hole in the U.G. and not know it.

phebus
02-08-2007, 12:54 PM
My guess is, that it was the old Memo trick "Honey I think there is a problem out in Havasu, darn it, I have to go".
Party!!!!!!!!! :D

Roaddogg 4040
02-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Did Memo take the boat and quads with him?????:D
Steve

Mrs. Bear Down
02-08-2007, 01:57 PM
HAHA!!! You guys are too much!! I actually sent him out there... sucks for him hah?? YEAH RIGHT!!!
Well Memo will be there tonight if you guys wanted to swing by and grab a bucket, hair dryer and some towels... and drink some beers!!
hahahaha!!!:D

Mrs. Bear Down
02-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Latest update!!!!
Well a plumber went by... and the leak is DEFINITLY NOT outside!!!:eek:
I don't even want to think of the possibilities here!!! But wish us luck!!!
The guy is going to come back out when Memo gets there to investigate inside!!
I wish I had given my house key to the Killers!!!:confused:
Monica

topless
02-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Latest update!!!!
MonicaOH NO!!! Good luck. :confused:

Havasu1986
02-08-2007, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=Mrs. Bear Down;2382563]
We also have the key pad on the garage door.

Mrs. Bear Down
02-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Someone told me not to do the keypad because people know how to trip them to open?? I don't know!
My neighbors next door are like 90 and wouldn't know how to turn off the alarm... so I didn't give them a key.
Oh the horror!!! :eek:

Havasu1986
02-08-2007, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=Mrs. Bear Down;2382577]Someone told me not to do the keypad because people know how to trip them to open?? I don't know!
We have all doors are alarmed. We put the key pad on the RV garage only. So when we need the boat serviced or detailed, we disarm it for that short while. But in a case like yours we could call someone to get in and disarm the alarms.

mrs.rvrluvr
02-08-2007, 03:32 PM
dont forget the rubber dukie

Mrs.Killer
02-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Latest update!!!!
Monica
Call me when you hear from Memo.....

Mrs. Bear Down
02-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Oh and detective Killer...
He noticed the wet ground in the back too!! He said that he thinks it might be the water heater or the water softener system!!!
:confused:
Oh what is this gonna cost us??? :sqeyes:

Havasu1986
02-08-2007, 04:25 PM
He noticed the wet ground in the back too!! He said that he thinks it might be the water heater or the water softener system!!!
If its the water softner it could be coming on way to long and recycleing. Maybe just a adjustment. Check the sprinklers for leaks and how long they come on. How old is the house.:)

Boatcop
02-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Have someone go out and TURN OFF the power to the water heater ASAP. If the elements are still on without water, it could cause a fire, not to mention a sky-high electric bill.
You should always turn off the water heater whenever you shut off the water.

Mrs. Bear Down
02-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Really?? Turn off the water heater??? Oh goodness!!! How do we do that???
How long does it take to get the water hot again???

Boatcop
02-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Really?? Turn off the water heater??? Oh goodness!!! How do we do that???
How long does it take to get the water hot again???
The water heater is on it's own circuit. Someone just has to turn off the circuit breaker at the box. It should be marked.
A good heater should only take a couple of hours to heat city water to temp. Heck, in the summer it won't even take that long.

Mrs. Bear Down
02-08-2007, 04:40 PM
Good to know!! I'll tell the hubby to handle that while he's out there!!!
Good looking out!! ;)

little rowe boat
02-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Probably something very minor.
It's usually a good idea to leave a key with someone in Havasu that you trust.

BOBALOO
02-08-2007, 05:16 PM
We had a CRAZY water bill one month and the water co. told us that we used something like 38000 gallons since the last time they checked.:eek: It ended up being a broken pipe on our side of the meter and since our soil is mostly sand there was never a soggy spot in the grass.
Luckily they gave us a 1 time adjustment back to our regular bill amount.:D
If your neighbors have a pool,and you suspect them, put locking spigots on the outside. Cheap and effective.

Phat Matt
02-08-2007, 05:16 PM
I turn off a bunch of breakers when I leave. The water heater is one of them. I also turn the water valves off for the washer. We had a pipe bust in the yard and water was running down the street. Better outside than inside. :)

slowinhavasu
02-08-2007, 05:38 PM
I had a customer a while back who had the same problem.Long story short....
In the middle of the night the local water pressure would rise.This would push water past the irrigation valves. It would only do it at night, so when you would watch the meter in the day time it would not turn.
The lady had to spend the night in the house to hear it run in the middle of the night.
Give a me a call if I can help.....

phebus
02-08-2007, 06:23 PM
I had a customer a while back who had the same problem.Long story short....
In the middle of the night the local water pressure would rise.This would push water past the irrigation valves. It would only do it at night, so when you would watch the meter in the day time it would not turn.
The lady had to spend the night in the house to hear it run in the middle of the night.
Give a me a call if I can help.....
Yes, would you mind staying up all night tonight, and watch the sprinkler valves? :D

Mrs. Bear Down
02-08-2007, 06:51 PM
OK!!!
So Memo is there... no water anywhere in the house!! :D
Now to solve the problem...
Memo DID notice that our sprinklers (bubblers) are set to go on for 20mins 7days a week!! There are 11 bubblers....
So doing the math... he found out what brand of sprinklers they are... then we went on the internet and found that on average they push out 1.70 gpm...
well lets see if we can do the math here...
1.70gpm x 11 bubblers= 18.70gpm now take that and multiply by 20mins!
total: 374 gals. per day
Sooo... how the heck does someone leave sprinklers going for 20mins at a time for cactus & crappy shrubbery???

Havasu1986
02-08-2007, 06:55 PM
You don't need 7 days a week in the winter or summer and 20 mins maybe to much.IMO Wheres Phebus:D

Havasu1986
02-08-2007, 07:03 PM
I just looked at my bill from 12/08/06-1/9/07. 5281 gallons for 32 days=165 gallons per day. I have a single snowbird and the bubblers coming on 3-4 days a week. FYI:) Bobby

Mandelon
02-08-2007, 07:05 PM
That might be a default setting for the time clock. If the power goes off for a few minutes in a storm or something the time clock could lose its memory. make sure it's battery is new.

bigq
02-08-2007, 07:44 PM
OK!!!
So Memo is there... no water anywhere in the house!! :D
Now to solve the problem...
Memo DID notice that our sprinklers (bubblers) are set to go on for 20mins 7days a week!! There are 11 bubblers....
So doing the math... he found out what brand of sprinklers they are... then we went on the internet and found that on average they push out 1.70 gpm...
well lets see if we can do the math here...
1.70gpm x 11 bubblers= 18.70gpm now take that and multiply by 20mins!
total: 374 gals. per day
Sooo... how the heck does someone leave sprinklers going for 20mins at a time for cactus & crappy shrubbery???
Sorry but that made me chuckle. Get more cactus...:D

Jyruiz
02-08-2007, 07:46 PM
I have mine setup to go on once every four days.

H20Advantage
02-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Watering Schedule
New planting for the first 30 days
Fall: Water once per day for 10 minutes in the morning for three weeks.
Winter: Water once per day for 10 minutes in the morning for two weeks.
Spring: Water once per day for 10 minutes in the morning, for four weeks, unless the weather turns to 100 Degrees or higher, then start watering by the Summer Schedule.
Summer: Water twice per day 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the evening.
After the fist 30 days of planting please refer to the watering schedule for the month you are in.
After the first 30 days of installation
December 1st through February 28th
Water every third day for 10 minutes in the morning.
March 1st through April 30th
Water every other day for 10 minutes in the morning.
April 1st through May 31st
Water once per day for 10 minutes in the morning.
June 1st through September 30th
Water twice per day for 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the evening.
October 1st through October 31st
November 1st through November 30th
This schedule is a basic guideline only.

TCHB
02-08-2007, 08:04 PM
We got ours and it said 230 gallons for the month. We were not out most of the billing period.

Jyruiz
02-08-2007, 08:06 PM
I never new about that schedule, but my landscaper and I chose plants that require very little watering.

H20Advantage
02-08-2007, 09:42 PM
I never new about that schedule, but my landscaper and I chose plants that require very little watering.
That's a schedule my landscaper gave me after the landscaping of our yard in Havasu. we have a variety of plants and palms in the yard, mostly low maintenance.

Mrs. Bear Down
02-09-2007, 08:18 AM
Thanks everyone for all your concerns!!
We DID find a broken elbow in one of the spriklers... so Memo is fixing that... and heading home.
I am sooo amazed about the love people show through these boards!! Its amazing!!
Thanks for everything!!! :D
p.s.
I say no plants is the best bet!!!:D

yopengo
02-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Watering Schedule
New planting for the first 30 days
Fall: Water once per day for 10 minutes in the morning for three weeks.
Winter: Water once per day for 10 minutes in the morning for two weeks.
Spring: Water once per day for 10 minutes in the morning, for four weeks, unless the weather turns to 100 Degrees or higher, then start watering by the Summer Schedule.
Summer: Water twice per day 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the evening.
After the fist 30 days of planting please refer to the watering schedule for the month you are in.
After the first 30 days of installation
December 1st through February 28th
Water every third day for 10 minutes in the morning.
March 1st through April 30th
April 1st through May 31st
June 1st through September 30th
Water twice per day for 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the evening.
October 1st through October 31st
November 1st through November 30th
This schedule is a basic guideline only.
H2O…Thank you.
We got our house in Havasu last year and I have called every nursery in town for this. We have a lot of mesquite trees on our lot. Late last year we were loosing large branches with the wind and I didn’t know if we were over or under watering them This will be posted near the timer. Thanks again.
:D