PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about the little Suzuki JR50?

2Driver
02-09-2007, 08:21 AM
I am pretty brand loyal to Honda but my neighbor wants to sell a like new Suzuki JR50 and it's about time my 5 year old learns to ride.
If it's not a decent bike I don't care how what kind of deal it is, I'll stick to Honda or maybe a Yam

Outnumbered
02-09-2007, 10:09 AM
I am pretty brand loyal to Honda but my neighbor wants to sell a like new Suzuki JR50 and it's about time my 5 year old learns to ride.
If it's not a decent bike I don't care how what kind of deal it is, I'll stick to Honda or maybe a Yam
Bullet proof. Little zuki's are hard to kill. There are also tons of hop-up tips and tricks for when he gets better at riding. My daughter has an LT50. They are legendary for their reliability. If it is well maintained then you should be very happy.

ZBODaytona
02-09-2007, 10:11 AM
2 stroke with only 1 speed...yamaha makes one like it, personally i think the honda xr50 or the yamaha ttr 50 are a better choice these are both 4 stroke with 3 speed trans. these two will allow your son to progress further, and there are tons more parts for these to hop up...heck yamaha sells factory direct stuff...

2Driver
02-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys. I'll use the proceeeds from the RV sale :D

RitcheyRch
02-09-2007, 11:29 AM
As stated. Bulletproof. Also, there is a trick to mkake it a 2 speed.

Outnumbered
02-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks guys. I'll use the proceeeds from the RV sale :D
Well that toy lasted 3 days:D :rolleyes: The kid is going to hide the new bike so dad can't sell it when he is at school:D

28Prowler525
02-09-2007, 12:45 PM
2 stroke with only 1 speed...yamaha makes one like it, personally i think the honda xr50 or the yamaha ttr 50 are a better choice these are both 4 stroke with 3 speed trans. these two will allow your son to progress further, and there are tons more parts for these to hop up...heck yamaha sells factory direct stuff...
My 4 Y/O daughter won't get off her TTR50, and the best thing about it is that is has electric start. That's a big plus for a 4 y/o and a dad and mom that don't have to start it for her every time she crashes.

THOR
02-09-2007, 12:54 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/468pw50-med.JPG
Here is the PW50 for my daughter. I think it is just like the TTR. I almost got a CRF50 but it sat a little higher than the Yamaha.

Pro Max
02-09-2007, 01:39 PM
If you decide on a honda I have a 05 XR50 that has about 1 hour ride time, It has been sitting in the corner of the garage. My boy wanted a quad so as much as a pushover dad I am i got him one and so the bike was never really used. I havent put it in the trader because I figured someone would eventually want it and the add cost $50.00

killerbeez
02-10-2007, 04:56 AM
I bought my 3 year old an 05 JR 50 for $700.It is in great condition,yet the bike lacks the power of the honda 50.The suzuki and the yamaha are considerably smaller and easier to ride for kids who seem to be vertically challenged at this point in time.The issue with the suzuki is that it is locked into 2nd gear.If you pull off the shifter cover you will see a small pin that is actually locking out first gear.All it takes is a dremel and a short bit of time and your new zuki will be a 2 speed.All the parents that have done this mod say it is the greatest thing to do other than to pull the restrictor out of the pipe.Good luck,I love the little bike.Oh and one more thing,if your kid needs training wheels,home depot sells the right size steel stock,washers,wheels and mounting brackets for about $45.If you buy them from a motorcycle shop,you are looking to spend about $135.

BadKachina
02-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Motorhomes, bikes, Rhino's, too many toys, too little time. No wonder that boat of yours never hits the water.:idea: :D

BadKachina
02-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Well that toy lasted 3 days:D :rolleyes: The kid is going to hide the new bike so dad can't sell it when he is at school:D
Did you ever get that stereo put together? How did those JL amps sound?

CBadDad
02-10-2007, 08:49 AM
I have a 20 yr old LT 80 and a 9 yr old LT160 quads that have been beaten up by my neices, nephew and my kids. The suzuki engines have always been low stress, always seem to run & run.
I don't know much about the JR, but probably pretty simular.

GunninGopher
02-10-2007, 08:40 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/468pw50-med.JPG
Here is the PW50 for my daughter. I think it is just like the TTR. I almost got a CRF50 but it sat a little higher than the Yamaha.
I bought a P-Dub for my son when he turned 5. I even have those very training wheels for it. The TTR is different than the PW 50 and more like the CRF50 as far as I have seen. Look at the exhaust setup seat ride height and other things. I think the TTR is a little faster and has more controls like a bigger bike. The P-Dub is a perfect beginner bike and you could probably sell it for what you paid for it when he is ready to move up if you found one.
It has a shaft drive and both an adjustable throttle restricter and a removeable plug in the pipe that restricts power.
The only thing I don't like is that it has lever brakes. I would have preferred that my son learn the foot brake right away. He'll move up in a year or 2 when my daughter is ready to get on it.
By the way, if you get training wheels, get the kind the bolt up to the peg mounts, not the kind that clamp to the bottom of the frame. Of course, if your daughter can ride a bike with 2 wheels, she probably shouldn't have training wheels on a motorcycle.

wolfie
02-10-2007, 10:08 PM
I'd go with the Honda or the Yamaha TTR. Both are 4 strokes. You don't have as much maintainance (filter, rings, plugs). Talk about bullitproof. You can't blow those Hondas up if you try.

Outnumbered
02-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Did you ever get that stereo put together? How did those JL amps sound?
Love it. Sounds very nice and has been very reliable. I actually may be bringing it back in soon so you may be able to have a listen. That exhaust manifold petcock has been leaking and if I cant fix it myself I will bring it in for the pros to have at it.
Thanks again for the help with the JL amps.

pixilatedpussy
02-11-2007, 07:59 PM
:D I am pretty brand loyal to Honda but my neighbor wants to sell a like new Suzuki JR50 and it's about time my 5 year old learns to ride.
Great lil bike! That was the first bike we bought for our oldest son...on his 3rd birthday!:D
But the Honda is a great one also, cuz that was our youngest son's first bike when he was 3!:D

2Driver
02-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Motorhomes, bikes, Rhino's, too many toys, too little time. No wonder that boat of yours never hits the water.:idea: :D
I should have more time for the boat, I just sold the RV yesterday. No $hit!

28Prowler525
02-13-2007, 11:46 AM
I bought a P-Dub for my son when he turned 5. I even have those very training wheels for it. The TTR is different than the PW 50 and more like the CRF50 as far as I have seen. Look at the exhaust setup seat ride height and other things. I think the TTR is a little faster and has more controls like a bigger bike. The P-Dub is a perfect beginner bike and you could probably sell it for what you paid for it when he is ready to move up if you found one.
It has a shaft drive and both an adjustable throttle restricter and a removeable plug in the pipe that restricts power.
The only thing I don't like is that it has lever brakes. I would have preferred that my son learn the foot brake right away. He'll move up in a year or 2 when my daughter is ready to get on it.
By the way, if you get training wheels, get the kind the bolt up to the peg mounts, not the kind that clamp to the bottom of the frame. Of course, if your daughter can ride a bike with 2 wheels, she probably shouldn't have training wheels on a motorcycle.
The TTR has electric start and is 4 stroke, the PW does not have electric start and is a 2 stroke, the CRF does not have electric start and is a 4 stroke. The PW has a shaft drive and is smaller then the other 2.