PDA

View Full Version : Magnetos

Thunderbutt
02-17-2002, 12:35 PM
Give me a show of hands of the guys that still run Magnetos in there boats. It seems that the Mag. has gone by the way side and The Distributors are in. I happen to have a Joe Hunt Vertex in my boat. For 30 years of good service with 1-rebuild. So I don't understand why the Mag left the Boating market. I don't think the Cat and Tunnel guys know what they are.

spectras only
02-17-2002, 12:45 PM
It's not boat related ,just let you know my 1947 Norton still runs with it's original magdyno [magneto coupled with dynamo/generator, for the younger generation to know].I got MSD with the 24 spectra when I bought it,so I use it .

Thunderbutt
02-17-2002, 05:09 PM
Atti, Thanks for our reply. Getting a rise out of these guys is like kicking a dead dog. Your all class, you must be a Spectra owner. You to Brent.

HYDROMOBILE
02-17-2002, 05:15 PM
Jim All my boats have vertex mags in them. race and ski (3) of them. Jim Brock

SPECTRABRENT
02-17-2002, 07:43 PM
JIm,
It seems all you old guys (just kiding) like the Mag.. My friend JIm Brock (Hydromoble) likes the mag also, I like the MSD.
Brent

Infomaniac
02-18-2002, 07:34 PM
I run a Vertex mag in mine. I would run the MSD mag if I had the extra cash. I was running an MSD 6M before switching to alcohol.
Thunderbutt: At least 1 tunnel guy (myself) knows about mags.
[This message has been edited by Infomaniac (edited February 19, 2002).]

DEL51
02-19-2002, 02:36 AM
This subject was also addressed on the blower motor forum.People were pro msd all the way.I think magnetos have certain attributes, don't know them all.i have a vertex and never had a problem.I went with a crank trigger 6al w/retard set up for nitrous use.Someone in that forum said they were no good and i asked the question,"if they were old technology why would msd produce a magneto?" I assume you have looked through a catalog from msd. It is amazing how many ignition options they offer.They have 2 specifications they use, spark energy in millijoules and spark duration in degrees of crankshaft rotation.There is a company out there that sells some type of super wire that is suppose to really increase the spark energy, called Nology.I read about them in one of the car mags.I've never seen a true in depth comparison of ignitions using a dyno, not to mention the horsepower levels we're familiar with.those Nology wires are around $300.00 a set.I had a bad experience with Accel wires, I ordered a universal set and only 7 wires came.I tried 3 times to get it straightened out and had a friend call also.I gave up,Poor customer service.

SK48
02-19-2002, 09:26 PM
I run a vertex in my Biesemeyer. I like the
keep it simple theory. Never had a problem
with the mag, can't say the same for electronic ignitions in boats.

eliminator777
02-23-2002, 07:21 AM
I have run mags on every thing from fuel hemis to BBc in my day cruiser. Think about this. Middle of day HALF way between London Bridge and Parker Dam,Elect. short or problem alt.goes out engines running a mag gets you back engine runs fine. electronic ing. runs like crap if you run a blower it detonates hurts parts. One thing about boats you never know .Its just one less thing to go wrong

obnoxious001
03-01-2002, 05:59 PM
I have a polished Vertex with wires for sale complete with a set of Mallory pro wires, works great. $350.
agt001@aol.com

dannyUALsangar
03-01-2002, 06:56 PM
I run a Vertex mag in my 73 Sangar. I bought the boat in 1986 and had to have the mag rebuilt in 1992. The boat hasn't been in the water since 1996 because of divorce, new job, moved, etc. etc. I hope the mag is still good for this summer!

GofastRacer
03-12-2002, 08:25 PM
I've been running a Vertex since I bought my first boat in the early 70's and I never once had a problem with it. For reliability and simplicity, you can't beat them!....
Danny, I have 2 mags with different curves in them, I just switched over last summer to try a different combination, this mag was in a box since 93 and the motor fired right up, no problem. Yours should do the same.......
[This message has been edited by GofastRacer (edited March 12, 2002).]

nastyhabit
03-22-2002, 06:20 PM
im still runnin the same hunt mag for ten years i just had it rebuilt last year for the hell of it it still ran great but i have a brand new digital six msd that want to be run- just to lazy to do it--nasty

Thunderbutt
03-24-2002, 02:54 PM
I'm getting ready to put the motor back togeather. For years I've been using Autolite plugs. What are you Guy's using with you Mag's? I've changed off and on but aways seem to go back to Autolite

nastyhabit
03-24-2002, 04:08 PM
me too in a tall block alum bow-tie heads I had a friend that checked some on a dyno the plane plugs worked best and cheeper to replace but split-fires lost HP i replace mine about every third run plane old autolites work great--nasty

03-24-2002, 04:41 PM
NGK...easier to read

Snowboat
03-24-2002, 06:32 PM
I have always assumed that the reason people shyed away from magnetos was that they were usually run without a charging system. For recreational use, a good battery will last all day for skiing and such, throw a charger on it at night or let it recharge itself a lot of the time. It sure is easier than trying to fab an alternator bracket. Also I was reading about the fact that alternaters run backwards when mounted in some applications. They will charge fine but you should get a reverse fan. It will work without the correct fan but peace of mind is about $15.00.

nastyhabit
03-24-2002, 09:24 PM
058 is right there not so dark colored but this moter is in a jet its not that easy to get a good full throdle reading when i sit so low with out a splash sheld going to make one soon --is a v-drive easy to get a reading i have seen transmissions that have neutrial a power glide for example but i dont know----and snowboat i run a mag and an alternater its going on 11 years same moter unrebuild, 500 siemese tall block 11.5 to 1 comp alum bowtie heads tunnel ram 2-1050 dominators and a mag ---nasty

dannyUALsangar
03-27-2002, 11:53 AM
Gofast, thanks for the good news http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif and sorry that it's taken me so long to respond.

GofastRacer
03-27-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by dannyUALsangar:
Gofast, thanks for the good news http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif and sorry that it's taken me so long to respond.
That's ok, I've been away too..Have you tried different plug gaps?, Joe Hunt (don't know about Don Zig) told me to run .18 or else it'll be hard to start the motor??, Well, I'm up to .26 and still no problem, think I'll keep going until the motor won't start!!...Has anybody experimented with plug gaps??....

old rigger
03-27-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by spectras only:
It's not boat related ,just let you know my 1947 Norton .....
I know this isn't a bike forum, but jesus christ, what a bike. I love english, pre 1950 bikes. My buddy recently finished a 38 Royal Infield. It's only a 350, not the big 500, but it's beautiful. He also did a Harley (can't remember what year) and gave it to his nephew, Mike Ness, of Social Distortion. You can see the bike on his "under the influences" CD. Great CD by the way.
I can't ride anymore but would still love to have a Velocette someday. Spectras only, you got any pictures of your Norton you could post. If not here, maybe you could e-mail them to me.........

nastyhabit
03-30-2002, 07:27 PM
yea ive put .40 gaps with no prob forgot about the mag did-em at 40 with no prob i found them on the next trip when i changed them and WOKE UP---nasty

StealBlueZ
03-31-2002, 01:34 AM
I use a Mallory Sprint Mag II. Good peice, but it was having problems starting after the motor was warmed last year. So I sent it to Don Zig Magnetos last week to get a start assist unit installed and set the curv. The start assist channels power from the battery to the distributor while it's cranking. When you release the starter the system switches back to the mag.

ssmike
04-01-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by SK48:
I run a vertex in my Biesemeyer. I like the
keep it simple theory. Never had a problem
with the mag, can't say the same for electronic ignitions in boats.
Ditto that! I have a Joe Hunt Mag in my Daytona Sprint, love the one wire set up. Clean and Simple. Works Great.

Moonshine
04-07-2002, 11:52 AM
I restored Dean Moons boat (Moonshine) and I have it back to almost 100% orignal except for the magneto. It was a Hunt and I am currently looking for one to replace the one that was stolen. Anyone have a spare out there.
eburnet@charter.net

Thunderbutt
04-07-2002, 12:58 PM
obnoxious001 has one for 350.00 Originally posted by Moonshine:
I restored Dean Moons boat (Moonshine) and I have it back to almost 100% orignal except for the magneto. It was a Hunt and I am currently looking for one to replace the one that was stolen. Anyone have a spare out there.
eburnet@charter.net