PDA

View Full Version : Need IPOD Help

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-30-2006, 01:21 PM
I am trying to connect my IPod to my work computer but the USB balloon says that it is an unknown device. The ipod isn't even charging.
any ideas?

Acommanderguy
01-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Is the software downloaded on your work computer? If the software isnt on there the computer wont recognize the IPOD as an Ipod. Does that make sense?

KACHINA KEN
01-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Go here jerky.
http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-30-2006, 01:46 PM
that didn't work either. it seems like more of an issue with my computer not recognizing the new hardware. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-30-2006, 01:46 PM
Is the software downloaded on your work computer? If the software isnt on there the computer wont recognize the IPOD as an Ipod. Does that make sense?
the Itunes is loaded....

Acommanderguy
01-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Ok so when you plug it in the balloon pops up and sayd new device found? After that does a Box pop up prompting you to use a quicktime program or anything? If not try plugging it in open Itunes then click the icon that shows your Ipod and see if it updates.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Ok so when you plug it in the balloon pops up and sayd new device found? After that does a Box pop up prompting you to use a quicktime program or anything? If not try plugging it in open Itunes then click the icon that shows your Ipod and see if it updates.
the balloon says New Device Found. Then another one following it saying Unkown Device.
there is no icon on Itunes.

Drift
01-30-2006, 02:00 PM
If your iPod is set for your computer at home and not at work, your work computer will erase everything off of it. It is set to do this to keep you from copying music. You can get an applicatiuon online called iPod Rip, and that will keep your Work computer from erasing your iPod

phebus
01-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Just break out in song, and you'll probably have more people volunteering to help you than you ever imagined. :rollside:

Acommanderguy
01-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Hmm has it worked before on that computer? Thats very odd That the Itunes is there and its not detecting the ipod. Bc usually There will be an icon that looks like an Ipod on the left hand side. Try restarting the comp and then open itunes then plug it in... Yes in that order. Sorry

Acommanderguy
01-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Drift the only way it will erase is if you tell it to. The Ipod is meant to run on an Itunes application making it more diverse. You can take it to your friends house plug it into there computer(as long as they have itunes) and take there music. This is what I do for work when I am not selling boats. Now you can't upload music from the ipod to a computer without buying a program that allows you to do that

h2oski2fast
01-30-2006, 02:07 PM
If your iPod is set for your computer at home and not at work, your work computer will erase everything off of it. It is set to do this to keep you from copying music. You can get an applicatiuon online called iPod Rip, and that will keep your Work computer from erasing your iPod
No it wont. Only if you try and update the Ipod. If you have the Itunes Ipod settings set to manually manage playlists you can add music from multiple computers without erasing any previously loaded songs.

Drift
01-30-2006, 02:15 PM
You learn something new every day I guess. It must be an "Apple" thing. I have always had my computer try to erase it every time it is not connected to it's "home" computer. I never even gives me the option. With iTunes running it asks if I want to "update" if said "no" or even "manually" it will only let you see it as an external device (Loadind docs into it) or it is completely blind to the computer. I work strictly with Macs so maybe there is a difference?

h2oski2fast
01-30-2006, 02:25 PM
You learn something new every day I guess. It must be an "Apple" thing. I have always had my computer try to erase it every time it is not connected to it's "home" computer. I never even gives me the option. With iTunes running it asks if I want to "update" if said "no" or even "manually" it will only let you see it as an external device (Loadind docs into it) or it is completely blind to the computer. I work strictly with Macs so maybe there is a difference?
No difference, I run 4 computers (2 pc's, one laptop and one desktop......2 Mac's, one Mac mini (strictly for music) and a Powerbook G4. I have connected the Ipod to all of them with no problems. Set your Itunes preferences so that it doesn't automatically update.

Drift
01-30-2006, 02:29 PM
wow, look at me... trying to help out and get help instead :messedup:
I'll try the preferences when I get home.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-30-2006, 02:38 PM
umm helloooo!!! Back to me....
just kiddin.

STROKER ACE
01-30-2006, 02:40 PM
I buy a I-Tunes card go home for the weekend thinking I will use my sisters com. since she has a IPod, it wants to replace everyting on my Ipod with what I had just bought and her music, HELL NO. 4 hours later and I had my 7 songs. So now my cell phone has a mp3 player on it thats what i use now.

h2oski2fast
01-30-2006, 02:45 PM
umm helloooo!!! Back to me....
just kiddin.
I have never seen this problem before. When you connect it to the computer and after the info baloons pop up, can you see the Ipod (or hard drive that would be the Ipod) in "My Computer"?

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-30-2006, 03:03 PM
i just realized what happened. the Ipod was frozen!!! I restarted it and now i am crankin again!!!
I want to make sure i don't erase any of the music i downloaded from my home computer. I will reread what you said above. Any more tips on this???

h2oski2fast
01-30-2006, 03:07 PM
i just realized what happened. the Ipod was frozen!!! I restarted it and now i am crankin again!!!
I want to make sure i don't erase any of the music i downloaded from my home computer. I will reread what you said above. Any more tips on this???
You can set all your settings in Itunes without plugging the Ipod in. Change the Itunes' Ipod settings to Manage Playlists Manually, then just drag and drop the files you want into the playlists. It's pretty straight forward.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-30-2006, 03:11 PM
You can set all your settings in Itunes without plugging the Ipod in. Change the Itunes' Ipod settings to Manage Playlists Manually, then just drag and drop the files you want into the playlists. It's pretty straight forward.
Right on. Thanks for your help.
do you have yours hooked up in your boat?

h2oski2fast
01-30-2006, 03:20 PM
No, dont have a stereo in the boat as of yet. Just took the boat apart when it goes back together I'll put a stereo in. Single in dash Sony with Ipod, and maybe XM, havent decided though. I'm going to have to come up with some trick mounting for the speakers as I wont cut into the boat.
http://www.hillbankusa.com/signfx/gmt/DSC65414.jpg
http://www.hillbankusa.com/signfx/gmt/DSC00012.jpg

Drift
01-30-2006, 03:57 PM
I have mine set up in my boat... I use an iTrip, that I have modified the antenna on. It's really cool, I have been able to broadcast the signal on ten boats together, in the same cove. Fun if you like playing DJ.

Froggystyle
01-30-2006, 04:41 PM
I have mine set up in my boat... I use an iTrip, that I have modified the antenna on. It's really cool, I have been able to broadcast the signal on ten boats together, in the same cove. Fun if you like playing DJ.
How did you mod the antenna???

Waldo
01-30-2006, 07:02 PM
You are so like your wife...Uhh....the Ipod thingy...Uhh froze....Uhh...I'm just kiddn' holmes. :rolleyes:

Drift
01-30-2006, 09:38 PM
How did you mod the antenna???
If you take a #11 Xacto blade and open the case along the seam on the iTrip (start at the bottom working from the inside out), then carefully prying it open making sure not to break off any of the little fastening "nipples" you will see a small thin copper wire running the legnth of the case.
I took a 3" piece of copper electrical wire (white sleeved), bent an L bend in it and wrapped the little existing antenna wire around the new antenna. I then drilled a hole into the back of the case at the top, slightly off of center and threaded my new antenna though it and glued it back together. So when finished I have a 2"+ extended antenna on the top of my iTrip.
It works extremely well, easily has an 80ft+ transmission range out at the river.