PDA

View Full Version : Question for LE types......

boatsnblondes
02-10-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm watching a show on MTV right now, and the subject matter is about two sisters, one of whom got jumped by two other females, one of whom took out a knife and started to slice her up. The other sister, fearing for her sisters' life as she was getting sliced up, took out a knife and stabbed the attacker, and is now in juvie with attempted murder charges pending against her. My question is this;
IS it illegal to stand up for someone? If you see someone being harmed, and you take whatever actions are necessary to protect that person, why is that attmpted murder? If this is the case, we are truly all on our own....and no one can depend on anyone to help them or to save them should they be in serious trouble by someone else. If you stand up for someone, and do what it takes to save them, up to and including shooting them, if necessary, to get them off, what is the problem?

ratso
02-10-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm watching a show on MTV right now, and the subject matter is about two sisters, one of whom got jumped by two other females, one of whom took out a knife and started to slice her up. The other sister, fearing for her sisters' life as she was getting sliced up, took out a knife and stabbed the attacker, and is now in juvie with attempted murder charges pending against her. My question is this;
IS it illegal to stand up for someone? If you see someone being harmed, and you take whatever actions are necessary to protect that person, why is that attmpted murder? If this is the case, we are truly all on our own....and no one can depend on anyone to help them or to save them should they be in serious trouble by someone else. If you stand up for someone, and do what it takes to save them, up to and including shooting them, if necessary, to get them off, what is the problem?
It's only okay if you are here illegally;)

Boatcop
02-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Use or threatened use of Physical force is justified in self defense or defense of others.
Deadly force is justified in self defense or defense of others only when the attack that is being defended against could result in death or serious physical injury.
Keep in mind, that self defense or defense of others is essentially an issue brought up at trial. Taking or attempting to take another's life is still homicide. It's up to the investigation, prosecutor and/or a trial to determine if that homicide is justified or not.
I don't know the details of the "MTV" situation, but the kid in juvi might have had a history of violence, a history with the "victim" or other issues.
Here in Arizona it used to be that a person had to prove in court that an attack actually WAS self defense when a self defense defense was raised. Last year we passed a law that the prosecutor has to prove that it WASN'T self defense. In other words a claimed self defense is accepted as a legal presumption, until/unless the prosecution can prove otherwise.

Boatcop
02-10-2007, 12:35 PM
A few other questions about the MTV deal. Why did the sister have a knife in the first place? Did this occur at or around school? Having a deadly weapon (knife) at a school is enough for a juvi stint, in and of itself.

boatsnblondes
02-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Alan, thanks for the post. I have no idea where the knife came from..the kids were two sisters, maybe one picked up a knife from the ground that got loose, no idea...judge released them both to moms custody with ankle bracelets......

LHC30Victory
02-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Alan is a pretty smart guy. Self defense is a DEFENSE at trial but may be used by the filing DDA as a reason not to file a charge or charges against a person. If the person (or group) actually did something to start this fight, then self defense doesnt apply. For example, if you stand in front of a car, you cannot shoot the driver because you are in danger - you put yourself in that position.
And like Alan said, there may be other issues that landed her in jail...

Baja Big Dog
02-10-2007, 02:25 PM
I forgot, what does MTV stand for?:confused:

Kilrtoy
02-10-2007, 05:22 PM
UM its MTV
there is a reason its called a show

Baja Big Dog
02-10-2007, 06:51 PM
UM its MTV
there is a reason its called a show
Oh, I thought it was for Music Television, not report on some "chick getting the shit kicked out of her and her sister knifeing someone"
Glad its cleared up now.