PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Feigner dead :(

DILLIGAF
02-10-2007, 02:45 PM
I saw this guy pitch as a kid in Salinas, CA. He was truely amazing. Hard to explain and it seemed like some kind of magic or something. He was definitly the King of the softball field and had extrodinary talent. I wish my son could have seen him before he stopped playing.
RIP
Associated Press
Eddie Feigner, the hard-throwing softball showman who barnstormed for more than 50 years with "The King and His Court" four-man team, died Friday. He was 81.
Feigner, known for his trademark crewcut and bulging right arm, died in Huntsville, Ala., from a respiratory ailment, longtime friend and teammate Jack Knight said.
With a fastball once clocked at 104 mph, Feigner threw 930 no-hitters, 238 perfect games and struck out 141,517 batters while playing more than 10,000 games. He was inducted into the National Senior Softball Hall of Fame in 2000.
A stroke in 2000 — a day after he threw out the first pitch before the women's softball competition in the Sydney Olympics — ended his playing career at age 75. He left the team for medical reasons last summer, and lived in Trenton, Tenn., for the last several years until recently moving to Huntsville. Knight said Feigner also suffered from dementia.
"Eddie Feigner was a genuine Jekyll and Hyde," Knight said. "On the field, a master showman, brilliant pitcher, creator of the most popular softball attraction in history. And off the field, one tough son of a gun. He was a former Marine, everything was by the numbers. He made millions, and was generous to a fault. Some guys got fired three times in the same day and rehired in the next moment."
Feigner not only pitched from the standard mound, 46 feet from home plate, but also from second base, behind his back, on his knees, between his legs, from center field and blindfolded. In a nationally televised exhibition against major leaguers at Dodger Stadium in 1964, he struck out Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Maury Wills, Harmon Killebrew, Roberto Clemente and Brooks Robinson in order.
Feigner began "The King and His Court" in 1946 on a dare in his hometown of Walla Walla, Wash. He had just thrown a shutout in his nine-man team's rout of a team from Pendleton, Ore., and the Oregon team challenged him to another game. Backed by just a catcher, first baseman and shortstop, Feigner pitched a perfect game, winning 7-0.
At the height of Feigner's popularity, the team played at major league ballparks, including Yankee Stadium, and Feigner appeared on numerous national television shows, including "The Today Show," "I've Got a Secret," "What's My Line?" and the "CBS Sports Spectacular." On the "Tonight Show," he pitched blindfolded to Johnny Carson, who loosely held a bat over a home plate. Feigner hit Carson's bat on his first pitch.
Feigner is survived by wife Anne Marie; son Eddie Jr., who played with the team for 25 years; daughters Shirley, Carol and Debbie; nine grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. Services are pending.

eliminatedsprinter
02-10-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm sure I have seen him on some of his variety show appearances.
It sounds like the lived a great life.:)

Old Texan
02-10-2007, 03:03 PM
I remember on a televised celebrity game he struck out 3 Hall of Famers, I believe were Willie Mays, Henry Aaron, and Harmon Killebrew in a row with pitches behind his back, through his legs, and kneeling on 2nd base....
An awesome talent and great man indeed.

HavasuSelect
02-10-2007, 03:31 PM
"With a fastball once clocked at 104 mph, Feigner threw 930 no-hitters, 238 perfect games and struck out 141,517 batters while playing more than 10,000 games."
That's just amazing. So he almost averaged 1 no hitter in ever 10 games. Is this slow pitch they're talking about?

cola
02-10-2007, 04:24 PM
"With a fastball once clocked at 104 mph, Feigner threw 930 no-hitters, 238 perfect games and struck out 141,517 batters while playing more than 10,000 games."
That's just amazing. So he almost averaged 1 no hitter in ever 10 games. Is this slow pitch they're talking about?
104 mph I would say FAST.

TRUMP TIGHT
02-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Wish i could have seen him play.

shueman
02-10-2007, 05:33 PM
RIP Eddie....:(

DILLIGAF
02-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Wish i could have seen him play.
He was amazing Justin. You would be watching and think he could see thru his blindfold. Nope!

THOR
02-10-2007, 06:08 PM
I had the distinct pleasure to perform in an exhibition with The King.

Trailer Park Casanova
02-10-2007, 06:27 PM
The King and his Court.
Elliot, one of the Gym Teachers at Moorpark high, tour'd with the King for 14 years.
He hangs out at the Moorpark Chuy's on Friday nite. Elliot has all kinds of fun stories. If you like exibition ball theirs a groaner or two worth listing too.
Elliot is a big guy maybe 300 lbs, still handsome & tan that sits at the bar and says grace before he starts each pitcher of beer.
Ya can't miss him.
He left Feighner to stay home and take a job with bennies, "But were the best years of my life".
He's good to recruit if you need a ringer for your team in a Softball game too BTW.
Still has the arm and swing.
A hell of an arm.
We used Elliot on our LADWP team to beat the Hyperion Sewage Plant team the "Owl's".
They told Elliot before the game: "we're used to working with shit, so we'll wipe your ass."
That was it,, we annillhated them on the strength of that challenge.