PDA

View Full Version : my first trip to Cali...what to do?

centerhill condor
02-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Hey Ya'll,
I'm going to Cali Thursday via LAX and to the four seasons at westlake. I've never been "out west" and am curious what to do and where to go.
I'm an old married guy so there'll be no lap dancing, etc. Looking to see some sites and enjoy what this has to offer.
thanks, CC

phebus
02-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Take a drive down the coast.

Baja Big Dog
02-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Hey Ya'll,
I'm going to Cali Thursday via LAX and to the four seasons at westlake. I've never been "out west" and am curious what to do and where to go.
I'm an old married guy so there'll be no lap dancing, etc. Looking to see some sites and enjoy what this has to offer.
thanks, CC
Neet little place for burgers downtown called Tommy's, great place to take a rental car, not much chance for any problems. Nice place called Fred Jordon Mission also downtown to enjoy a nice glass of wine.
The posibilities are endless;)

Kilrtoy
02-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Neet little place for burgers downtown called Tommy's, great place to take a rental car, not much chance for any problems. Nice place called Fred Jordon Mission also downtown to enjoy a nice glass of wine.
The posibilities are endless;)
That is so wrong in so many ways

Baja Big Dog
02-11-2007, 01:44 PM
That is so wrong in so many ways
I know, I felt bad after I posted it!!!

Dribble
02-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Just to get the flavor of Cali, go to Venice Beach. And bring a camera.

Trailer Park Casanova
02-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Well, you're doing the right thing staying in Westlake.
You can drive over the hill to the beach on Kanan or Malibu Canyon RDs and check out the beach and nice places to hang out .
We like Dukes. You can eat at the south end bar with nice sand patio and view of the ocean and an interesting crowd.
Matador Beach in Malibu is a beautiful area & is where my wife and her GF's hang out. Half the girls there sunbathe topless so if you're bashfull about that,,
If you have more time consider driving through Santa Ynez and checking out the wine merchants.
Several nice niteclubs in the vicinity of the Four Seasons. All feature live music and good food. Not necessarily a singles scene.
The concierge at the hotel can direct you.
A few really excellent Sushi places close by too. All have some sort of cool tradition.
Like ya walk in and do a pour-your-own free Saki shooter & ritual toast in Japanese with all the clientel & chefs before you sit down, or something along that line.
Real, real easy to get a DUI so consider a cheap cab or go by foot if you drink.
Reagan library is a short drive.
Whether ya liked him or not it's a cool place to visit. Air Force one Marine one, traveling exhibitions with historical artifacts on something really cool.
Expect to spend about 2 hrs and 20 bucks.

Kilrtoy
02-11-2007, 02:04 PM
We need to clarify this,
Westlake Village
or
Westlake District

Trailer Park Casanova
02-11-2007, 02:14 PM
We need to clarify this,
Westlake Village
or
Westlake District
Oh yeah.
If it's the district, then refer to post # 3.

RiverOtter
02-11-2007, 02:31 PM
I've only been out there a couple of times. Once to SF and once to SD. If you get down to SD go to the Gas Lamp District. Very cool! I also enjoyed the waterfront / warf.

LUVNLIFE
02-11-2007, 02:44 PM
We need to clarify this,
Westlake Village
or
Westlake District
C-mon Miguel he did say The Four Seasons:D I don't think they have one of those in the district:D :D

catman-do
02-11-2007, 02:48 PM
I've only been out there a couple of times. Once to SF and once to SD. If you get down to SD go to the Gas Lamp District. Very cool! I also enjoyed the waterfront / warf.
Uhhhh, if you go to the gas lamp district your gunna be seeing alot of drag queens. Thats where all the gay bars are at. If you are in LA I would check out Venice like mentioned above. Great place to see all the wierdo's. Maybe see the queen mary, about 20 minutes southwest. There is soo much to do though, you might want to throw us some idea's of what types of things you like to do and people can give you opinions.
First off though, dont call it "cali". (atleast not in Southern California). "cali" and "Hella" are Nor Cal terms and many people in So Cal dont like the Nor Cal people. Especially at the beaches.

Baja Big Dog
02-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Well, you're doing the right thing staying in Westlake.
You can drive over the hill to the beach on Kanan or Malibu Canyon RDs and check out the beach and nice places to hang out .
We like Dukes. You can eat at the south end bar with nice sand patio and view of the ocean and an interesting crowd.
Matador Beach in Malibu is a beautiful area & is where my wife and her GF's hang out. Half the girls there sunbathe topless so if you're bashfull about that,,
If you have more time consider driving through Santa Ynez and checking out the wine merchants.
Several nice niteclubs in the vicinity of the Four Seasons. All feature live music and good food. Not necessarily a singles scene.
The concierge at the hotel can direct you.
A few really excellent Sushi places close by too. All have some sort of cool tradition.
Like ya walk in and do a pour-your-own free Saki shooter & ritual toast in Japanese with all the clientel & chefs before you sit down, or something along that line.
Real, real easy to get a DUI so consider a cheap cab or go by foot if you drink.
Reagan library is a short drive.
Whether ya liked him or not it's a cool place to visit. Air Force one Marine one, traveling exhibitions with historical artifacts on something really cool.
Expect to spend about 2 hrs and 20 bucks.
Pretty good list for a guy that lives in a trailer!!!

OCMerrill
02-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Pretty good list for a guy that lives in a trailer!!!
You crack me up. Add "... down by the river" to that!
TPC knows how to tell a story and his info is excellent.
Now the best thing to do in LA is get out as fast as you can. How long is the stay?

GrapeApe
02-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Uhhhh, if you go to the gas lamp district your gunna be seeing alot of drag queens. Thats where all the gay bars are at.
What?? Gaslamp District in San Diego is not full of Drag Queens & Gay Bars!! You are thinking of Hill Crest.. Gas Lamp is full of Great Restaurants & Night Clubs, Boutique Hotels, and PetCo Park where the Padres Play.. Just an FYI..:) :D
*** GrapeApe ***

Misogynist
02-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Didneylan....... you gots to go to Didneylan...... :D

Relaxalot
02-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Fins Restaurant in Westlake Village for seafood. Malibu, Getty Museum, Reagan Library

Misogynist
02-11-2007, 04:04 PM
If you want a nice ocean view dining experience you can go to Geoffrey's in Malibu. Make reservations.

RiverOtter
02-11-2007, 04:16 PM
What?? Gaslamp District in San Diego is not full of Drag Queens & Gay Bars!! You are thinking of Hill Crest.. Gas Lamp is full of Great Restaurants & Night Clubs, Boutique Hotels, and PetCo Park where the Padres Play.. Just an FYI..:) :D
*** GrapeApe ***
I was wondering.... I didn't see any drag queens when I was there :confused: Like you said, great restaurants and night clubs

moneypit
02-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Do yourself a favor.
1. Go see the Reagan library in Simi.
2. Don't go to the South. Go North to Ventura and Santa Barbara. It's a beautiful 45 min. drive and Its a little more relaxing for the "older folk".
3. Drive into Hollywood...Do it during the week.
4. Disneyland.
5. Depending on how long you are staying, you could continue North To San Luis Obispo and maybe see Hearst Castle. Or drive South to San Diego .. Mexico

NashvilleBound
02-11-2007, 04:50 PM
If your going to visit San Diego go Sunday and hit Loews Coronado on Coranado Island. Their Sunday brunch is BY FAR the finest I have ever found. About $50 a head..... worth every penny. Starts at 11 I think....
Other than that take Coast Hwy for a cruise.....
If you like mexican food hit a local Albertos, Robertos or simular.... they dont look like much but the food is authentic compared to most of the places out here.
Gas Lamp district is a good time on the weekends........
If your into Amusment parks go to Magic Mtn in Valencia....East of LA (roughly) Has some excellent rides!!
most of the other suggestions here are good too......

beyondhelpin
02-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Uhhhh, if you go to the gas lamp district your gunna be seeing alot of drag queens. Thats where all the gay bars are at. If you are in LA I would check out Venice like mentioned above. Great place to see all the wierdo's. Maybe see the queen mary, about 20 minutes southwest. There is soo much to do though, you might want to throw us some idea's of what types of things you like to do and people can give you opinions.
First off though, dont call it "cali". (atleast not in Southern California). "cali" and "Hella" are Nor Cal terms and many people in So Cal dont like the Nor Cal people. Especially at the beaches.
Oh no. He just said the "C" word!
Definatly go to Venice Beach. Wide wide world of weirdos with some hotties thrown in for good measure. Pretty cool. Bring your camara like someone said. Find a fast food resturant name Albertos and have a carne asada burrito. I miss those as much as anything.

photo chick
02-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Do yourself a favor.
1. Go see the Reagan library in Simi.
2. Don't go to the South. Go North to Ventura and Santa Barbara. It's a beautiful 45 min. drive and Its a little more relaxing for the "older folk".
3. Drive into Hollywood...Do it during the week.
4. Disneyland.
5. Depending on how long you are staying, you could continue North To San Luis Obispo and maybe see Hearst Castle. Or drive South to San Diego .. Mexico
Everything Moneypitt said is perfect!!! The Reagan library is a must see and very close to where you'll be staying!!

scooooter7
02-11-2007, 05:39 PM
If you go to Hollywierd you gotta do the movie stars' home tour. I did and took my boys and they added all the highlights of where all the people get busted and for what. Put a nice touch on it. :)

mrs.rvrluvr
02-11-2007, 05:42 PM
get up at 5:30 am
drive to corona I-15 and CA 91 drive west on the 91 during morning traffic
I bet you will never come back to CA.:D

Music to my Ears
02-11-2007, 05:47 PM
my kids are on their way:D
Mark, I took care of them today. They're coming out tommorow as well.:)

eliminatedsprinter
02-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Everything Moneypitt said is perfect!!! The Reagan library is a must see and very close to where you'll be staying!!
Agreed. Esp Disnyland.

Music to my Ears
02-11-2007, 06:36 PM
YOU THE MAN :D i'm going to have to put some more GOOSE'S in your boat:D thanks again see ya soon ;)
You don't owe me nothing. Just doing it for a friend.:)

centerhill condor
02-11-2007, 07:30 PM
I'll be there from Thurs to Tues. Gonna do a little bitness and visit with my sister who has been there for several months. Trying to skip the unsolved mysteries "missing persons" tour. We're suppossed to go to San Diego during the weekend!
I'm gonna try to see some U.S. Navy ships and what not. Will try to fit Simi Valley and President Reagan into the trip.
thanks for all the suggestions.

work2play
02-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Just got back from the LA boat show. We went to venice beach and santa monica. In Santa Monica go to Burnos. Great Italian food. About 2 blocks south of the SM Pier on Ocean BLvd.

Moneypitt
02-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Ah, that was one "T", not two..........