PDA

View Full Version : Build quality

phebus
02-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Of all the west coast builders, who do you feel does the best build.
My takes are:
1. Schiada
2. DCB
3. Howard
4. E-Ticket
5. Eliminator
All brand loyalty aside, what's other's takes?

ratso
02-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Trident...

Baja Big Dog
02-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Pierce Arrow

OCMerrill
02-11-2007, 03:00 PM
My takes are:
1. Schiada
2. DCB
3. Howard
4. E-Ticket
5. Eliminator
I would add...
6. Laveycraft
7. Conquest

OCMerrill
02-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Trident...
Now were going at least 10 pages:eek: :D

djunkie
02-11-2007, 03:03 PM
My takes are:
1. Schiada
2. HOWARD
3. DCB
4. E-Ticket
5. Eliminator
Now this is better. :D :D

Singleton
02-11-2007, 03:03 PM
The 5 documented above, but then I woudl add
Ultra
I can see this topic going on for pages once everyone gets back online tonight or tomorrow

phebus
02-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I almost didn't put Eliminator on my list, because it seems that they have two types of builds, their "production" type custom boat, and their over the top, sick custom with all the bells and whistles, and super rigging.

OCMerrill
02-11-2007, 03:15 PM
I almost didn't put Eliminator on my list, because it seems that they have two types of builds, their "production" type custom boat, and their over the top, sick custom with all the bells and whistles, and super rigging.
I thought of Nordic the same way...then again Laveycraft kind of does that too.
So your list is pretty accurate...

jbtrailerjim
02-11-2007, 03:17 PM
DCB.
I don't know what I would put after DCB but they are way (IMO) ahead everyone else. Their boats are just unreal.

phebus
02-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Trident...
I have gone down to Trident, and seen what Wes is doing, and the build quality is top notch, but I don't feel you can judge build quality on the strength of two boats.

Kilrtoy
02-11-2007, 03:23 PM
I can see no one must be in havisu SHIT STARTER

phebus
02-11-2007, 03:29 PM
I can see no one must be in havisu SHIT STARTER
That would be shit stirrer to you mister :D
Actually, I really like threads like this, so I can get the feeling of what others think about the different manufacturers quality.
For example, I think Schiada is number one by a long shot, and their work borders on art, yet someone else just stated they thought DCB was number one and that everythone else was far behind.

phebus
02-11-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm off to dinner at the Horseshoe, and I'm curious what this thread will look like when I get back.
I hope it doesn't turn into bashing, and I hope that everyone isn't brand loyal, and gives credit where credit is due.

burtandnancy2
02-11-2007, 03:45 PM
I wonder who won top award for quality built boat of the year? Not on the above list. Who else could it be? They've won many times before. Its on the tip of my tongue. Had some fabulous boats in the show. Someone should know...

djunkie
02-11-2007, 03:52 PM
I hope it doesn't turn into bashing,
Your such a liar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:devil: :devil:

djunkie
02-11-2007, 03:53 PM
I wonder who won top award for quality built boat of the year? Not on the above list. Who else could it be? They've won many times before. Its on the tip of my tongue. Had some fabulous boats in the show. Someone should know...
I was impreesed with the boats that Prime Marine had on display. I'm sure more than half the people in here didn't even waste a minute on them.

djunkie
02-11-2007, 03:55 PM
they need to add some color besides red:D
Yes that Herbst Schiada was over the top. I'm not a huge fan of red but that sure caught my attention for a while. BUT........I believe Schiada did not put that boat together so I don't think they should get all the honors for it. :D

jbtrailerjim
02-11-2007, 03:59 PM
DCB.
I don't know what I would put after DCB but they are way (IMO) ahead everyone else. Their boats are just unreal.
I put a little more thought into it now.
My list would be:
DCB
Schiada
Howard
Hallett
Eliminator
Lavey Craft
Ultra
Cobra
Essex
Shockwave
Conquest
Nordic
Magic/Sleek
I know there is more west coast builders but these are probably the only ones I'd own.

little rowe boat
02-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Not in any specific order.
Howard
Hallett
Schiada

TheCarDudes
02-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Howard :D

mrs.rvrluvr
02-11-2007, 05:16 PM
our list
1. SCHIADA
2. DCB
The rest
how can you not put Schiada at the top of any list. They truely are the most beautiful boat ever put on the water.....
Look at the Terribles boat in the lobby the only flaw we could find was in the casting for the trany. That boat is the epitomy of perfection..

djunkie
02-11-2007, 05:18 PM
our list
1. SCHIADA
2. DCB
The rest
how can you not put Schiada at the top of any list. They truely are the most beautiful boat ever put on the water.....
Look at the Terribles boat in the lobby the only flaw we could find was in the casting for the trany. That boat is the epitomy of perfection..
I agree that they are the best. But like I said earlier I don't think Schiada rigged the Herbst Boat.

mrs.rvrluvr
02-11-2007, 05:22 PM
I agree that they are the best. But like I said earlier I don't think Schiada rigged the Herbst Boat.
Rigging aside look at the quality of the hull, floors etc WOW what a bitchen boat

Parker Dreamin
02-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Cobra in the top 5 for sure...

Southwest47
02-11-2007, 05:25 PM
What does everyone think about the Domin8tor line. I have a Lavey now, but am considering the Domin8tor 25' deck for my next boat in a couple years.
BTW...Nothing bad to say about Lavey, but their deck is way out of my price range.:(

djunkie
02-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Rigging aside look at the quality of the hull, floors etc WOW what a bitchen boat
Yes I agree. Their hulls are a wrok of art. And the rigging on that Herbst boat made it over the top.

Pussywhippled
02-11-2007, 05:27 PM
I just have a question...
Why is everybody so gaga over the new Ultra 26 deck boat?
I'm no afficianado, I only have an Eliminator, by the way have you seen them lately?
But it is 2007 and most all of the blingin boats have the fiberglass innerliner.
Why all the hype for a 2007 boat that has (from what I've seen) an all carpet floor?
Is it the in-be-tween-er size of the thing or am I misisng something?
Not bashin at all, just curious.
Please edumacate an idiot...

INSman
02-11-2007, 05:30 PM
I have never had any interest in Schiada, so I would say:
DCB
OL
Skater
Cigarette
Nortech
Howard
Eliminator
Cobra
Shockwave
Laveycraft
E-Ticket
Conquest
I know that I threw a few East Coat mfg's in ther, but what the heck.

Pussywhippled
02-11-2007, 05:32 PM
I know that I threw a few East Coat mfg's in ther, but what the heck.
Sorry to say but my next boat WILL be an east coast mfg...

INSman
02-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Sorry to say but my next boat WILL be an east coast mfg...
Don't be sorry, I love the 33' and 37' Active Thunders ;)

Pussywhippled
02-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Don't be sorry, I love the 33' and 37' Active Thunders ;)
I know... I'm on OSO too...

mrs.rvrluvr
02-11-2007, 05:38 PM
:jawdrop: How about the Power Boat Inc. Deck boat. There's a thang of bu T. :D
Wow that thing looks like it could hold 30 people, with only 3 cup holders:confused:
Did anyone get a laugh (I mean) look at that thing WOW :eek: :eek:

phebus
02-11-2007, 05:52 PM
O.K. enough brand loyalty with the Cobra and Shockwave votes, let's get serious here. I think the rule should be that whatever you own, can't be on your list.
Seriously now, top west coast boats.

Kilrtoy
02-11-2007, 05:56 PM
O.K. enough brand loyalty with the Cobra and Shockwave votes, let's get serious here. I think the rule should be that whatever you own, can't be on your list.
Ultra is really steping it up, as is Cobra.
Lavey has always been there
Howard hallet , that goes with out saying
Schiada is always at the top

Riverkid
02-11-2007, 05:59 PM
I only took pictures of the Schiada's, the sick Prime Time boats, and just one DCB pic...:)

phebus
02-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Ultra is really steping it up, as is Cobra.
Lavey has always been there
Howard hallet , that goes with out saying
Schiada is always at the top
I agree Ultra and Cobra are really stepping up and making some really nice boats, but I don't think I would put them in the company of Schiada, DCB, and the likes.

BADBLOWN572
02-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Schiada
DCB
Howard
Hallet
I do have to say that I was surprised by both Ultra and Cobra. They definitely look like they are on top of their game. :) Their products look great.

INSman
02-11-2007, 06:15 PM
At least I did't put my brand anywhere near the top 5, not that I could in all seriousness anyway even though I really do like my boat. :)

jbtrailerjim
02-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Schiada
DCB
Howard
Hallet
I do have to say that I was surprised by both Ultra and Cobra. They definitely look like they are on top of their game. :) Their products look great.
I was surprised by Ultra and Cobra also. They both have really stepped up their quality. They both continue to bring nicer boats to the show every year.

djunkie
02-11-2007, 06:24 PM
I was surprised by Ultra and Cobra also. They both have really stepped up their quality. They both continue to bring nicer boats to the show every year.
I agree. I was never really a fan of Ultra but they have really come a long ways with there boats. I really liked the new 26 deck.

Pussywhippled
02-11-2007, 06:28 PM
How come nobody can never spell Hallett correctly?
Good thing Dave's Custom Boats is just DCB for the people who can't spell but can afford them...

Mtg Pro
02-11-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm off to dinner at the Horseshoe, and I'm curious what this thread will look like when I get back.
I hope it doesn't turn into bashing, and I hope that everyone isn't brand loyal, and gives credit where credit is due.
Senior discount ????

Racer277
02-11-2007, 06:35 PM
After seeing the boats at the CP and V-drive Regatta's, it's hard to be impressed by the rigging of the boats at the show.
The Schiada's had nice attention to detail, the others are all covered in fiberglass.

yamamoto
02-11-2007, 10:25 PM
I know this sounds stupid, but can somebody explain to me why one builder is better than the other. Is it the type of fiberglass, aluminum or stainless trim, thickness of the hull? Because I have seen many boats with very pretty gelcoat jobs, but when you look under the dash or behind a speaker, the manufacturer just screws hardware right into the fiberglass and not into a metal backing plate. I think that many people associate flashy with quality.

Uniqueperformancewest
02-11-2007, 10:38 PM
What about the adrenaline's they have an awesome build quality and fitment and just curious as to what everyone thinks they weren't mentioned at all on this list. And I guess its partly because they're an east coast builder but still they have a very high quality product to offer, definetly something new to throw out here on the west coast.
John
Unique Performance West, Inc.

dumbandyoung
02-11-2007, 10:44 PM
bayliner

C-2
02-11-2007, 10:44 PM
So has anybody seen a new Schiada on the water, or they only found in museums?, lol
I've seen that Schiada Supertanker, but none of the 24'(?), $130K jobbies.
Does anybody actually own one?

4DAY4PLAY
02-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Commander

mbrown2
02-11-2007, 11:42 PM
DCB and Schiada in no particular order....

BoneDaddy
02-11-2007, 11:54 PM
I know this sounds stupid, but can somebody explain to me why one builder is better than the other. Is it the type of fiberglass, aluminum or stainless trim, thickness of the hull? Because I have seen many boats with very pretty gelcoat jobs, but when you look under the dash or behind a speaker, the manufacturer just screws hardware right into the fiberglass and not into a metal backing plate. I think that many people associate flashy with quality.
Oh no you di.int!
You might be confusing manufactured quality with a custom build.:o

SHOTKALLIN
02-12-2007, 12:07 AM
What does everyone think about the Domin8tor line. I have a Lavey now, but am considering the Domin8tor 25' deck for my next boat in a couple years.
BTW...Nothing bad to say about Lavey, but their deck is way out of my price range.:(
I think the Domn8r 25 deck is the deal of the century for 75K with an HO. Maybe that was a boat show only price. Domn8r is really going the extra mile IMHO. I am impressed. In the 25-26' deck I would have to test drive the Domn8r, the 26 Ultra 86k with HO, and the Cobra 26 deck 86K with the mag. As for the performance those other two better blow the mufflers off the Domn8r, or it would not even be a tough decision. Domn8r has a 28 deck in the new powerboat this month.

SHOTKALLIN
02-12-2007, 12:10 AM
I just have a question...
Why is everybody so gaga over the new Ultra 26 deck boat?
I'm no afficianado, I only have an Eliminator, by the way have you seen them lately?
But it is 2007 and most all of the blingin boats have the fiberglass innerliner.
Why all the hype for a 2007 boat that has (from what I've seen) an all carpet floor?
Is it the in-be-tween-er size of the thing or am I misisng something?
Not bashin at all, just curious.
Please edumacate an idiot...
I think it has sick lines. That orange one at the show made me Jizz on myself.:D I do see your point about the innerliner though.

SHOTKALLIN
02-12-2007, 12:15 AM
I think Cobra deserves to be there. I think Shockwave makes a great boat but imho they dont make that list. They are nice boats but I have never seen one that made me Jizz on myself.:D

SHOTKALLIN
02-12-2007, 12:23 AM
:rolleyes: Here we go again. Listen newbee. First off, No questions until you post a pic of your HOTWIFE or girlfriend. Its rule #17 of the disclaimer that you agreed too when you registered.
Now back to your question. I will answer it AFTER you post that pic. ;)

SHOTKALLIN
02-12-2007, 12:25 AM
Oh no you di.int!
Yes he did:D ....You Know I cant tell the diference between a Four Winns and a Cobalt either :confused:

SHOTKALLIN
02-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Nobody said Force??? Force is definitely on this list.

Kilrtoy
02-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Nobody said Force??? Force is definitely on this list.
REALLY:idea:

SHOTKALLIN
02-12-2007, 12:50 AM
How many E-tickets are floatin out there?

BoneDaddy
02-12-2007, 12:53 AM
Yes he did:D ....You Know I cant tell the diference between a Four Winns and a Cobalt either :confused:
You know they go together like peas and carrots! :D

Kilrtoy
02-12-2007, 12:53 AM
How many E-tickets are floatin out there?
When they only build two a year, I would say about 10 so far

SHOTKALLIN
02-12-2007, 12:56 AM
I'm not knockin them....just never seen one. They look huge:D

SHOTKALLIN
02-12-2007, 01:00 AM
Domn8r said they lay up the E-tickets....and they use the same gel guy. Thats why they have the same gel graffics on thier deck as the E-ticket. I like The Domn8r line. They are making a NAME for themselves.

Kilrtoy
02-12-2007, 01:02 AM
I'm not knockin them....just never seen one. They look huge:D
They are .
I remember when we were out in one in Jan and it started raining. We stuck three adult women and 2 children in the stoarge cabinet and hauled azz from the sandbar back to the channel. they were all comfortable in there also.
They are huge

SHOTKALLIN
02-12-2007, 01:35 AM
Hmmmm stabin cabin?:D

Tequila-John
02-12-2007, 07:03 AM
What is a Cobra?

boatnam2
02-12-2007, 07:28 AM
went to change out my light pole i busted last summer on my lavey a couple of weeks ago..i know it dosent tell you how the boat is built but it was through bolted with 3 stainless bolts and s.s. ny-lok nuts so if there willing to put my light pole in like it has to last 30 years im sure the rest is good to go and would venture to say some on the list arent built this way.

C-2
02-12-2007, 07:38 AM
went to change out my light pole i busted last summer on my lavey a couple of weeks ago..i know it dosent tell you how the boat is built but it was through bolted with 3 stainless bolts and s.s. ny-lok nuts so if there willing to put my light pole in like it has to last 30 years im sure the rest is good to go and would venture to say some on the list arent built this way.
That what I was wondering too. Many of the boat manufacturers are still relatively new and don't have any boats on the water past the 10 year old mark.
Can you imagine buying a *great looing* boat and seeing it fall to pieces in 5 years, with another 15 years remaining on the loan.
Oh wait, this is HB, everybdoy buys their homes and toys cash. Nevermind.:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

voodoomedman
02-12-2007, 08:09 AM
I think it has sick lines. That orange one at the show made me Jizz on myself.:D I do see your point about the innerliner though.
There are 3 different inner liners available for the Ultra Deck I believe. The first ones were built without them so the ones at the show may have just been pre-inner liner builds.

yamamoto
02-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Oh no you di.int!
I'll be the first to admit I am ignorant about the differences between the custom boat builders. I know there are huge differences between manufactured boat builders, so I am assuming the same would only apply to the custom builders.

ULTRA26 # 1
02-12-2007, 08:36 AM
There are 3 different inner liners available for the Ultra Deck I believe. The first ones were built without them so the ones at the show may have just been pre-inner liner builds.
Mine, which was the 1st 26 deck built by Ultra, is partially innerlined. From the steering wheel forward, there is an inner liner with snap in carpet.

blackcloud75
02-12-2007, 08:37 AM
So has anybody seen a new Schiada on the water, or they only found in museums?, lol
I've seen that Schiada Supertanker, but none of the 24'(?), $130K jobbies.
Does anybody actually own one?
24'r...........I do.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1453schiada.JPG

rivercrazy
02-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Because I have seen many boats with very pretty gelcoat jobs. I think that many people associate flashy with quality.
BINGO..........

Throttle
02-12-2007, 09:12 AM
mmm, you know what I have to say about this rick... you would not have to ask these stupid questions if you would step away from the f'n bar and come to the boat show... u coulda seen 4 yourself...
by the way, hope your back if feelin better...

Singleton
02-12-2007, 09:23 AM
The new Ultra 26 deck has an innerliner. Ultra started using it a few months ago. The first few out of the mold do no, or if you change up the seating in the boat you might not be able to use it.

superdave013
02-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Yes I agree. Their hulls are a wrok of art. And the rigging on that Herbst boat made it over the top.
yes it's off the hook but so are the Schiada rigged ones too. Here is Lee's 21 from last years show.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104653

mxbundy
02-12-2007, 10:05 AM
That what I was wondering too. Many of the boat manufacturers are still relatively new and don't have any boats on the water past the 10 year old mark.
Can you imagine buying a *great looing* boat and seeing it fall to pieces in 5 years, with another 15 years remaining on the loan.
Oh wait, this is HB, everybdoy buys their homes and toys cash. Nevermind.
LOL! That is the quote of the year:D :D :D
bundy

Kilrtoy
02-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Oh wait, this is HB, everybdoy buys their homes and toys cash. Nevermind.
Atleast that is what everyone wants you to believe:eek:

Havasu_Dreamin
02-12-2007, 10:41 AM
You are absolutely correct. Just about everyone uses the same resin and the same fiberglass. But it is the way they use it and how they lay it up and the additional things they use, balsa coring the hull, foam coring in the hull, the quality of the hardware that is used. How they actually build the boat.
If a consumer is price shopping there are some builders that can't be compared to each other because they are constructed in such a different manner even though the boats may be essentially same in terms of use and function.....

vegas36cat
02-12-2007, 10:43 AM
in no order...you said west coast right??
Hallett
Howard
DCB
Schiada
Spectre

2forcefull
02-12-2007, 10:45 AM
it kinda like a resturant, they all use beef, but some do a better job preparing

little rowe boat
02-12-2007, 10:47 AM
it kinda like a resturant, they all use beef, but some do a better job preparing
Some don't rush to turn out as many boats as they possibly can. They put quality before quantity.

boatnam2
02-12-2007, 11:10 AM
i dont buy the whole they only build a few,what does that have to do with anything.it comes down to there work force...and material and hardware used.

BADBLOWN572
02-12-2007, 12:01 PM
i dont buy the whole they only build a few,what does that have to do with anything.it comes down to there work force...and material and hardware used.
Agreed 100% that a big manufacturer can stay on top of quality provided that their work force can keep up with the current demand. When you start pushing people to get one boat out the door because another one is coming in, you end up cutting corners.
Most people don't want to staff up because unfortunately the boating industry is a very seasonal business. During the summer you are slammed. Winter it is dead. No owner wants to be the bad guy and lay his workers off during the winter. They would rather work them harder during the summer and let them make the O.T.
It is not impossible to do it with the big boys, but it sure makes having a small shop much easier to run.