PDA

View Full Version : 4.77 @ 331.61mph!!!!!

shockwaveharry
02-11-2007, 07:05 PM
This was a fantastic pass! (http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k186/shockwaveharry/?action=view&current=DSCF0280.flv)
The weather was perfect on Saturday. First round of eliminations we were sitting right on the starting line.
For those of you who have never attended a Top Fuel event in person: When these cars take off from the starting line, the experience is unreal! It's so powerful, the sound waves literally penetrate your body... My chest felt like a base drum being played by a King Kong sized Energizer Bunny on crack! Does that make sense to you? It's not often that I'm at a loss for words to describe something but this one has me stumped. Imagine all of your senses being so violently assaulted by tsunami sized sound waves that you have a hard time maintaining balance if you're standing... And then, after the 2 second attack, you find yourself gasping for air. Multiply that by the 5000 or so people packing the spectator stands and you begin to get the idea.
We sat at the big end for the second round. The video only gives you a vague idea...
Top Fuel is WAY better than NASCAR! ;)

djunkie
02-11-2007, 07:07 PM
You explained it perfect. It is definately a rush.

Big Block
02-11-2007, 07:14 PM
that was a sweet pass. thanks for posting

Fire Angler
02-11-2007, 07:23 PM
My 6 year old Son is watching this right now, looks like I'll be going to the Drags real soon.. :D

beaverretriever
02-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Today Robert Hight ran the quickest in Funny Car history a 4.64!!!! Holy crap. Good stuff. I wish I was there.

ekimzark
02-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Great video there truly is nothing in the world like it
http://photos.imageevent.com/ekimzark/nhraennis2006/websize/IMG_5052.JPG

BigDogIvan
02-11-2007, 08:13 PM
AAAAHHHH!!!! Nothing like Nitro and hot rubber in the morning!! :) ;)

Not So Fast
02-11-2007, 08:27 PM
you forgot the best part "eyes burning like tear gas was in them" from the NITRO. Ah the memories, thanks!!!!! NSF

Cs19
02-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Best form of motorsports on the planet. Gotta love it.

Phat Matt
02-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Today Robert Hight ran the quickest in Funny Car history a 4.64!!!! Holy crap. Good stuff. I wish I was there.
I saw it. :)

bwillieb
02-12-2007, 01:34 AM
...............Having driven a 'Front motored Fueler' back in the day, it still stands out as the biggest rush I've ever had..........and I've had a few............The cars of my era ran over 100mph slower and in the 7's.......gotta wonder what the G's feel like at today speeds.........Any body know?.............

Craig
02-12-2007, 05:49 AM
Nice run, watched the race yesterday. Can't wait until weekend after next when the boys are in town :D

BigDogIvan
02-12-2007, 11:47 AM
you forgot the best part "eyes burning like tear gas was in them" from the NITRO. Ah the memories, thanks!!!!! NSF
LOL Your right!! If your eyes are't burning then your not standing in the correct spot. :D

DetroitJim
02-12-2007, 11:52 AM
I've been following the drags since 1974, it really is amazing how far they have advanced. I remember being amazed at Bob Glidden running 8.32 in Pro Stock. The fuelers were running about 6.50's back then. By the way, fastest run I have ever seen was back in the late 70's or early 80's, at one time they allowed rocket powered cars. There was a guy had this deal not much bigger than a go-kart, ran 4.32 at about 330!

Caljamr
02-12-2007, 12:08 PM
This brings back memories of when i went to the drag races at the Fremont Drag Strip in northen California back in 1979. We would ride our bicycles out to the track is was so close to our house. There was this guy leaning up against his dragster and he had stack of pictures of himself and he was signing them and passing them out to people. I still have that picture of "Big Daddy" Don Garlits hanging in my garage.
I can't wait till the tour comes to Vegas i'll be there for sure. :)

Desert Rat
02-12-2007, 12:34 PM
This brings back memories of when i went to the drag races at the Fremont Drag Strip in northen California back in 1979. We would ride our bicycles out to the track is was so close to our house. There was this guy leaning up against his dragster and he had stack of pictures of himself and he was signing them and passing them out to people. I still have that picture of "Big Daddy" Don Garlits hanging in my garage.
I can't wait till the tour comes to Vegas i'll be there for sure. :)
Grew up in Fremont too. We would pick up trash for a free entrance. Big Daddy, the Snake Cha Cha Muldowney, Yeah great times. To bad they built homes closer and closer to the strip which became its demise!:mad:

Havasu1986
02-12-2007, 12:37 PM
LOL Your right!! If your eyes are't burning then your not standing in the correct spot. :D
There were this guys on Fri. with what looked like gas masks running from pit to pit when a dragster would start up.:D

deltarat
02-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Grew up in Fremont too. We would pick up trash for a free entrance. Big Daddy, the Snake Cha Cha Muldowney, Yeah great times. To bad they built homes closer and closer to the strip which became its demise!:mad:
No Shit! I grew up Belmont and was at the Freemont Drags all the time.

DAVEO
02-12-2007, 12:49 PM
No Shit! I grew up Belmont and was at the Freemont Drags all the time.
Small world. I tried to grow up in Belmont, But never grew!!:D

ToMorrow44
02-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Yeah and to back it up for the national record he needed to run a 4.68ish pass...next round ran a 4.72 shutting it off at 1000ft after hitting a block...that thing was on a run!!!

Moneypitt
02-12-2007, 10:13 PM
There were this guys on Fri. with what looked like gas masks running from pit to pit when a dragster would start up.:D
Pussies..........Gotta love the smell of nitro in the morning. Current mixture rules tone it down quite a bit from the days of old..........That was like CS gas to your eyes and skin.......We didn't have masks in those days, just a red rag over your nose, even the driver sitting in the car for warm up, and he couldn't get away from it between two trailers and with a canopy.......One thing for sure, if you're hungover and have to dump a pan full of nitro burnt oil into the 55 gal waste drum, you're gonna puke, damm that stuff was awful.......Don't ask me how I know...........MP