PDA

View Full Version : Truck Broke in Havi

DaddyMack
02-11-2007, 08:44 PM
So Friday night... heading into havi... My transfer case decided to take a dump...(seal went and I bet the bearing did too) luckily it was right at the 40 and exit 9. Limped to the Pilot truck stop.
Called triple A, then while on ignore, noticed that my Dodge warranty had road service too. Called them on G/F's cell. Before I even got a real person at AAA I was done with the super nice person at Dodge, or whoever handles their towing, and within abour 45 min (before done with call to AAA), Steve's towing was there taking my truck to the Dodge dealer in Havi. The driver was nice enough to take us to a motel after dropping the truck.
Jen and I met a great couple at the closest bar and ended up having a great time at BJ's .. it was packed...
Meanwhile.. Talked to the dodge dealer on Sat. They can't even look at the truck till Monday.. then order parts.. who knows when it will be ready :( luckily its all warranty...but I might have to be in Havi again on Tues, because Enterprise doesn't do one way trips :( ugh.. and Hertz was out of cars... sheesh... warranty supposed to cover rental.. we will see....
The little winterfest fair was pretty cool on Sat though :)

boats&bars
02-11-2007, 08:53 PM
one word DODGE...........

DaddyMack
02-11-2007, 09:04 PM
Well.. I have had just about everything... GM, Ford, Dodge, Toyota.. VW.. Mitsubishi...
Prefer the Dodge and Chevy.. and best luck with both... If the seal didn't go.. prob. still be fine.. everything under warranty..and no hassles with the dealer or the roadside.... so the way I look at it.. other than the hassle of the rental car thing.. is I get a new, or semi new transfer case.. at 50,000..lol..

djunkie
02-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Man that sucks. I always worry about something like that happening on the way to the river. Glad Dodge is taking care of you.

DaddyMack
02-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Yea.. no kidding.. Jen andI were saying that if it happened in that 33 mile stretch between the Laughlin turn off and Needles.. it would have really sucked.. as it was we grabbed a six pack at the truck stop and had a picnic in the truck..lol..:devil:

OutCole'd
02-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Yea.. no kidding.. Jen andI were saying that if it happened in that 33 mile stretch between the Laughlin turn off and Needles.. it would have really sucked.. as it was we grabbed a six pack at the truck stop and had a picnic in the truck..lol..:devil:
I've done that ride so many times. That would be a really bad place to break.
Glad to hear it's getting taken care of.

Jyruiz
02-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Glad it is being taken care of, hope it does not take long to get you back on the road.

DaddyMack
02-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks.. appreciate the well wishes... needed to vent a bit.. will know more tomorrow..

Jetaholic
02-11-2007, 09:27 PM
This gives me confidence in the warranty towing policy. I recently bought a 2007 Silverado Classic with the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, and I purchased the extended 5 year/75,000 mile bumper-bumper warranty.
This is my first new vehicle purchase...soon after I bought it I learned of the warranty towing service that comes with the vehicle.
That is very good that Dodge stood right behind their vehicle and got your truck to a dealer...sucks they can't look at it till Monday, but most dealer service shops are closed on weekends I do believe. But they took care of ya nonetheless...I hope GM is as good if not better than Dodge and standing behind their warranty.

RitcheyRch
02-12-2007, 05:25 AM
Nice to hear is being taken care of and that you and the wife werent left stranded out on the road for hours.

SummerBreeze
02-12-2007, 07:53 AM
If you are going to break down Havasu is not a bad place to do it
BJ's :) OOOOOOh BOY!

BALLSDEEP
02-12-2007, 08:10 AM
If you are going to break down Havasu is not a bad place to do it
BJ's :) OOOOOOh BOY!
Havent been to LHC since October, where is BJ's?

SummerBreeze
02-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Havent been to LHC since October, where is BJ's?
Down town...... Old Havi

Mrs.Racer277
02-12-2007, 08:23 AM
So Friday night... heading into havi... My transfer case decided to take a dump...(seal went and I bet the bearing did too) luckily it was right at the 40 and exit 9. Limped to the Pilot truck stop.
Called triple A, then while on ignore, noticed that my Dodge warranty had road service too. Called them on G/F's cell. Before I even got a real person at AAA I was done with the super nice person at Dodge, or whoever handles their towing, and within abour 45 min (before done with call to AAA), Steve's towing was there taking my truck to the Dodge dealer in Havi. The driver was nice enough to take us to a motel after dropping the truck.
Jen and I met a great couple at the closest bar and ended up having a great time at BJ's .. it was packed...
Meanwhile.. Talked to the dodge dealer on Sat. They can't even look at the truck till Monday.. then order parts.. who knows when it will be ready :( luckily its all warranty...but I might have to be in Havi again on Tues, because Enterprise doesn't do one way trips :( ugh.. and Hertz was out of cars... sheesh... warranty supposed to cover rental.. we will see....
The little winterfest fair was pretty cool on Sat though :)
Glad to hear things worked out for you.
We had that happen to us in Havi right when we pulled in...Chevy was on it... truck was towed to dealership and they had the rental car service pick us up and get us a car. I think they had it all under control in about 1 hour.

Baja Big Dog
02-12-2007, 09:07 AM
one word DODGE...........
Two words NEW VENTURE.........

DaddyMack
02-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Nice to hear is being taken care of and that you and the wife werent left stranded out on the road for hours.
Thanks! and...Lol... yea... not wife. EX was somewhere else.. girlfriend Jen was with me..lol.. whew.. got scared there for a min..lol... Flashback..:sqeyes:
Got on my bike Sunday back in Vegas... Jen and I went to Mountain Springs then down to Hogs ... I felt much better...

DaddyMack
02-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Glad to hear things worked out for you.
Thanks! you are always very nice! Still wating to hear on everything.. knocking on wood... my head hurts..lol
:)

STV_Keith
02-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Two words NEW VENTURE.........
How many of these things have you guys seen fail on the road? Not in the mud bogs or dunes, but on the road?
In the 7 years I've been working here at a performance diesel shop, I've only seen one grenade, and that was on a 94 or 95 Dodge with umpteen miles on it. We've POUNDED those things with over 1500ft-lbs of torque and 750HP doing 4-HI drag launches and I've never broke one.

Baja Big Dog
02-12-2007, 11:12 AM
How many of these things have you guys seen fail on the road? Not in the mud bogs or dunes, but on the road?
In the 7 years I've been working here at a performance diesel shop, I've only seen one grenade, and that was on a 94 or 95 Dodge with umpteen miles on it. We've POUNDED those things with over 1500ft-lbs of torque and 750HP doing 4-HI drag launches and I've never broke one.
Dont want to get religion involved but.....AMEN!!!

Baja Big Dog
02-12-2007, 11:14 AM
I did get something out of this, Chevy and Dodge offer towing???? Wish I could "a FORD" one of them things!!!:confused:

Mrs.Racer277
02-12-2007, 11:15 AM
I did get something out of this, Chevy and Dodge offer towing???? Wish I could "a FORD" one of them things!!!:confused:
They do under warrenty.....And free car rental. :D

RitcheyRch
02-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Wife, gf, same thing....LMAO :D
Thanks! and...Lol... yea... not wife. EX was somewhere else.. girlfriend Jen was with me..lol.. whew.. got scared there for a min..lol... Flashback..:sqeyes:
Got on my bike Sunday back in Vegas... Jen and I went to Mountain Springs then down to Hogs ... I felt much better...

Outnumbered
02-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Have to agree. Plus, NV makes cases for Ford, GM, etc. So Dodge bashing in this thread is just a hater talking out his ass:D

Makinitdrip
02-12-2007, 11:25 AM
My 04 CHevy blew the transmission 25.6 miles west of needles on the I40 last year. AAA said sorry, You are towing a boat, cannot help you. WE will tow your truck but not the boat. Chevy roadside said the same thing. I now have the trailer package. I had to leave my eliminator on the side of the road to get the truck back then wait for a FRIEND to come from victorville to rescue us and the boat.

Mrs.Racer277
02-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks! you are always very nice! Still wating to hear on everything.. knocking on wood... my head hurts..lol
:)
Thank you..:) ..We were lucky it was an easy fix...

HavaTan
02-12-2007, 12:33 PM
MOPAR or No Car... :D

DaddyMack
02-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Oky... So here is the update...
Turns out the drive shaft went next to the transfer case, when it went it vibrated so bad that it cracked the transfer case.
Its a hairline crack, the leak is really minor.. and the truck is now drivable...
The one thing is: Although they have fixed the drive shaft, its 4-5 days to get the new case, so they say its drivable to Vegas and that they will continue the warranty work in Vegas, because the rental car reimbursment runs out.
So.. guess I am driving down to Havasu tomorrow AM to pick up truck...

DaddyMack
02-15-2007, 12:06 PM
sweet... local dodge dealer has the transfer case in stock :D

HocusPocus
02-15-2007, 12:47 PM
looks like they are on top of the problem and should have you fixed up in no time. :D

Outnumbered
02-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Is the truck lifted? Because, if it is this probably caused the problem and the dealer is being very cool to fix it. Glad they took care of you.

DaddyMack
02-15-2007, 02:14 PM
stock height still...luckily I guess

Outnumbered
02-15-2007, 02:28 PM
stock height still...luckily I guess
Are you juiced up? 800 lb/ft of torque will take a stock driveshaft out if you put you foot in it a lot.:D Seems strange that the d-shaft would let go. They are beefy.

STV_Keith
02-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Are you juiced up? 800 lb/ft of torque will take a stock driveshaft out if you put you foot in it a lot. :D
Not true. While I have seen u-joints go, the drive shafts are pretty solid. Again, 1500ft-lbs/750hp, 4HI launches at the drag strip with all stock driveline components.
My daily driver is 1050ft-lbs with a manual, and that thing has survived with no problems for almost 100k now.

DaddyMack
02-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Are you juiced up? 800 lb/ft of torque will take a stock driveshaft out if you put you foot in it a lot.:D Seems strange that the d-shaft would let go. They are beefy.
No.. not that either... Wierd stuff.. dealer was surpised too... this was a work truck in utah...its previously life... it could have been abused a bit.. I have friends with their trucked juiced and the 2500's can easily handle that kind of torque apparently. Well.. at least mine will be new again..lol

Outnumbered
02-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Not true. While I have seen u-joints go, the drive shafts are pretty solid. Again, 1500ft-lbs/750hp, 4HI launches at the drag strip with all stock driveline components.
My daily driver is 1050ft-lbs with a manual, and that thing has survived with no problems for almost 100k now.
I know the u-joint is the weak link in the drive shaft. I was lumping the d-shaft and u-joints into one component and I assume that is what failed when he said the "drive shaft went next to the transfer case". If it was not the actual u-joint then that is strange. Thanks for clearing that up.

Tahiti350
02-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Glad it's being taken care of, weird that the case cracked.
I have an older ('76) Dodge that I've been building up over about 5 years now. 440, 727, NV205 case, 1-ton axles, 33x12.50x16's Anyway, had the trans and case rebuilt during the build, but the calendar warranty expired before I had the truck drivable. Once I got it up and running was backing down my driveway (idling) and broke a gear in the case, shoved the broken piece out the bottom, quarter sized hole thru the case, center bottom. :sqeyes: Swapped my spare T-case in and truck still wouldn't move. When the t-case broke it wiped the sprague in the trans!!!! I can move the truck by putting the trans in Low gear, pulling away, and then shifting up to second.
Trans shop that built the case said "Sorry, warranty expired":mad: , warranty was 12 month, 12,000 miles. Case was about 2 years old and had less than 10 miles on it when it broke. It was installed and filled with oil as soon as I got it from the shop. I still need to pull the t-case and trans out to be redone (spare t-ccase has a minor bearing whine and unknown milage), but not sure I want to go back to the same shop again....:idea:

DaddyMack
02-15-2007, 03:27 PM
I know the u-joint is the weak link in the drive shaft. I was lumping the d-shaft and u-joints into one component and I assume that is what failed when he said the "drive shaft went next to the transfer case". If it was not the actual u-joint then that is strange. Thanks for clearing that up.
I'll know specifically when I pick up the truck tomorrow a.m....

DaddyMack
02-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Oky.. so I picked up the truck.. .. the bottom line was that it looks like the viscous coupler went (universal joint), when it did the vibaration was so bad it cracked the transfer case (hairline). So I picked up the truck from Havi and drove it right to the dealer in Vegas. Guess what... they consider it a new claim (covered by warranty) because I took the truck to another dealer and, therefore, they pay for another rental car while they change out the case!! :D
bad news... driving a PT Cruiser... Good news.. warranty covered everything... truck back like new on Tuesday :cool: