PDA

View Full Version : This years BOAT SHOW

Kilrtoy
02-12-2007, 12:51 AM
just did not seem to have it!
This year seemed really weak, no excitement, no anticipation, no big crowds and a lack of alot of HBer's.
I remember when you could not even walk around without bumping into people and HB models everywhere.
What is your take on this years event

SHOTKALLIN
02-12-2007, 01:04 AM
I went yesterday. I noticed a lesser crowd than previous years. The MFG's that I talked too claimed to be selling alot of boats. Maybe they were b.s.'n? Seems like alot of 26' decks were being sold. Didn't see any pasties:(
:D :D :D

HOOTER SLED-
02-12-2007, 04:07 AM
This year seemed really weak, no excitement, no anticipation, no big crowds and a lack of alot of HBer's.
I remember when you could not even walk around without bumping into people and HB models everywhere.
Shit we didn't even go this year. Wasn't feelin it. :sleeping: :sleeping:

ChumpChange
02-12-2007, 07:50 AM
I felt that way last year. This year's show I found to be great. Had a really good time. There were more new boats at the show this year than at years past.

BALLSDEEP
02-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Felt the same way, this years show was a big disappointment.

Sportin' Wood
02-12-2007, 08:20 AM
I was not excited at all.
Is it just me or does Hallett need some new boats in the booth? I swear that red boat has been in the booth every year I have been. Can't say which was more entertaining, the lotion man or the 3 used car salesmen selling Havasu boat storage.

local805
02-12-2007, 08:22 AM
I was not excited at all.
Is it just me or does Hallett need some new boats in the booth? I swear that red boat has been in the booth every year I have been. Can't say which was more entertaining, the lotion man or the 3 used car salesmen selling Havasu boat storage.
OBVIOUSLY EVERYONES TAPPED OUT THERE ATM MORTGAGES AND CANT BUY ANYMORE TOYS!!!!!!!

charitycase
02-12-2007, 08:27 AM
That's cause we didn't get to come down & hang with you & yours at the DCB Booth.J/K maybe next year.

Coach
02-12-2007, 08:27 AM
This year was about the same as the last few overall. A few new products here and there. I think we will be seeing drop in new boats as intrest rate slowly climb and people with creative financing on their houses feel the crunch. Less income to spend on leasure items and increasing boat prices. Just look at the number of boats for sale here on HB and how long it is taking to sell them.
Even thought it is not the guys on the boards deal the Wake Boats had a lot of new models and new concepts going on. Still slow as hell, but a lot of new styling and features.
It will be intresting to see if there are less boats on the water this summer. Some how I dought it.:)

Jyruiz
02-12-2007, 08:33 AM
My wife and I had a good time. For some reason the stars were all aligned and we were able to find a sitter so we could go alone. Much easier to mingle with out having to worry about the kids.

Cat & Mice
02-12-2007, 08:57 AM
I remember the first couple of years going to the CES & SEMA shows. I thought they where awesome then after a few years I was disappointed in what I saw. The reality is that once you know what is going on in any industry you realize that not much changes from year to year.
I went to this years show for the first time in about 3 years. I had gone every year before that for about 5 years.
Even in 3 years not too much has changed. I still had a great time and love seeing the new combinations.
It is also a great way to catch up with people you don't get to see very much. Most of these boat industry people don't get to the lake very often so the show is the best place to say hi.
I thought there was some pretty cool stuff. I agree that they market seems saturated with 26 cats and performance decks. But it is a big market in that range and price point.
It is amazing how the Eliminator Daytona has changed an industry in such a big way. I remember going to the show and you could count the Cats on one hand and most of them where Eliminators.
Overall we had a great time!
MP

mbrown2
02-12-2007, 09:21 AM
I remember the first couple of years going to the CES & SEMA shows. I thought they where awesome then after a few years I was disappointed in what I saw. The reality is that once you know what is going on in any industry you realize that not much changes from year to year.
I went to this years show for the first time in about 3 years. I had gone every year before that for about 5 years.
Even in 3 years not too much has changed. I still had a great time and love seeing the new combinations.
It is also a great way to catch up with people you don't get to see very much. Most of these boat industry people don't get to the lake very often so the show is the best place to say hi.
Bingo....this year's show is no different then last year's in my opinion....these shows are not revolutionary....but more evolutionary....a couple new models here and there......but once you are keeping up with the changes in the industry..the show brings no big suprises.

Sportin' Wood
02-12-2007, 09:29 AM
OBVIOUSLY EVERYONES TAPPED OUT THERE ATM MORTGAGES AND CANT BUY ANYMORE TOYS!!!!!!!
Why are you yelling at me?
This may or may not be the case( It's not my case what so ever) I know one of the Pontoon boat sellers said it was one of his best years for sales at that show and ordered a pile of trailers from the trailer guy I was standing next to. I also heard many people talking about the new 29 they ordered or the 25 they where going to pull the trigger on. I saw people pulling $20's outta there pockets for bimini clips and bags full of Hot sauce being carted away as well.
I agree that many have tapped out the house, but people are still buying.
With the exception of the bat boat and the Dana half performance boat half Roll bar boat nothing really caught my eye as new and exciting. I guess when there are deals on some really bitchen boats in the spam section like Jackpunx, or Blackclouds boats is hard to get excited about the same red boat!
BTW my house is not an ATM machine, but I do have a money tree.:D

OSidePat
02-12-2007, 09:36 AM
The Slide Anchor Booth was 3 deep just to buy a box anchor..I bought one for me and one for a friend who couldnt be there I was there on Sat and the show was pretty busy DCB was selling pretty strong !

One Particular Harbor
02-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Maybe it was just the end of a long week. But, the crowds were down from previous years and I can honestly say that I rarely saw people sitting down to discuss financing in any of the booths we were in. I can remember when there would be three or four finance discussions going on at, for example, Hallett and you couldn't find a sales representative to talk to.
I disagree on the number of new models at the show, however. I thought this year, more than many others, there were actually more new models on the floor. Almost every manufacturer has a new deck boat to display and there were a couple of new cats as well. Additionally, for the first time in a while, I was back in the Mercury booth, looking at new engines and outdrives. I also enjoyed the accessories booths downstairs, which did all seem to be doing good business. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.
I will say that one of my big disappointments was in the shortage of larger v-hulls on display. Hallett, Eliminator, and Ultra all had some of their larger v-hulls missing and, in some cases, had substituted two or more deckboats (same model) in their place. I guess that speak volumes about where the market demand is at the moment.
Others have commented on both of these items, but I was disappointed in the show prep that some of the vendors had done and I was also disappointed in some of the graphic choices, colors, etc. that were on display. Little things...dusty, under-inflated trailer tires, road dust on the gel coat, stains on the carpet, untucked corners on new upholstery, etc. seem to really distract when you're looking at a brand new boat. I want to smell the new fiberglass, vinyl and capreting, and be dazzled by the gelcoat as the best examples of what a vendor can produce. I don't want to be left wondering if the owner even cares enough about his boat to bother with a bottle of Hot Sauce, a towel, and maybe some tire dressing.
Lastly, and some may disagree, but I was somewhat disappointed by the number of "no children on board" signs. My older children have spent more time on a boat than many of the adults at the show and even my youngest knows how to respect and not damage the gelcoat and upholstery. They love looking at new boats with us and, believe it or not, will play an active role in helping us select our next new boat. It's important for us to see, on some of the new boats, how well protected they are in the bow area, how easy it is for them to move fore to aft, whether they can open the various storage lockers, etc. Some may say, save this for the dealer locations, but the boat show is still the single best place we can crawl through a number of different models and narrow our list.
OPH

BADBLOWN572
02-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Is it just me or does Hallett need some new boats in the booth? I swear that red boat has been in the booth every year I have been.
I believe that boat is actually brand new. The Herbst buy new boats from Hallett constantly. All of their boats are 100% red and bad ass. They also had the twin turbo 21 Schiada in the lobby. In typical Herbst style, it was all red also. ;)

One Particular Harbor
02-12-2007, 10:10 AM
The Slide Anchor Booth was 3 deep just to buy a box anchor..I bought one for me and one for a friend who couldnt be there I was there on Sat and the show was pretty busy DCB was selling pretty strong !
By the way, I thought the chrome versions of the box anchors looked nice (yeah, I know, the silly things that catch your eye). Any idea whether they will hold up from an appearance perspective?
OPH

Sportin' Wood
02-12-2007, 10:27 AM
I believe that boat is actually brand new. The Herbst buy new boats from Hallett constantly. All of their boats are 100% red and bad ass. They also had the twin turbo 21 Schiada in the lobby. In typical Herbst style, it was all red also. ;)
Yea I heard that they buy a lot of new boats. I just wonder where the old ones go? Must be a pile of Red boats on lake Mead.:D
The 21 Schiada was bad @$$! I can not recall the first year I attended the LA boat show but I could swear Hallett had a big red boat there. I'm a big Hallett fan but bring something else, Herbst can't be the only people buying big Halletts?

phebus
02-12-2007, 10:34 AM
By the way, I thought the chrome versions of the box anchors looked nice (yeah, I know, the silly things that catch your eye). Any idea whether they will hold up from an appearance perspective?
OPH
They are polished stainless, and should hold up well.

Mr. C
02-12-2007, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE Lastly, and some may disagree, but I was somewhat disappointed by the number of "no children on board" signs. My older children have spent more time on a boat than many of the adults at the show and even my youngest knows how to respect and not damage the gelcoat and upholstery. They love looking at new boats with us and, believe it or not, will play an active role in helping us select our next new boat. It's important for us to see, on some of the new boats, how well protected they are in the bow area, how easy it is for them to move fore to aft, whether they can open the various storage lockers, etc. Some may say, save this for the dealer locations, but the boat show is still the single best place we can crawl through a number of different models and narrow our list.
OPH[/QUOTE]
Don't disagree with you at all on this statement, my kids (who have also been around boats since they could crawl) were very disapointed on how many boats they were not welcome on. Was there Thurs. the place was pretty dead and sales reps couldn't be found to even ask if the kids could board a boat, and if they were they didn't really want them to.
I think that the kids who have no respect for others property have ruined for those that do. JMO.
I must give props to cobra for being more than willing to let them on any of there boats.
I think my oldest fell in love(sorry lust) with the extreme trailer girl signing posters:D :D

grads2112
02-12-2007, 11:10 AM
But, the crowds were down from previous years and I can honestly say that I rarely saw people sitting down to discuss financing in any of the booths we were in. I can remember when there would be three or four finance discussions going on at, for example, Hallett and you couldn't find a sales representative to talk to.
I also noticed this. I saw very few people sitting down actually writing a deal up but when you ask the people working the booths how things were going they'd say they're selling like crazy. I bought my boat at the show last year and had to wait to sit down and sign my deal because there were two people in front of me signing deals.

Jyruiz
02-12-2007, 11:11 AM
I don't even think it is the kids fault, I think it is the fault of the parents for not having any discipline over their kids.

Mr. C
02-12-2007, 11:13 AM
I don't even think it is the kids fault, I think it is the fault of the parents for not having any discipline over their kids.
That is a much better way of putting it.

Rexone
02-12-2007, 02:58 PM
Did anyone notice the new Nordic 43 cat and 47 v-bottom tucked in the back corner by the houseboats (not the main Nordic booth). The cat looked like it had a beam as wide as football field. :eek:
I'm sure they were late entries being back in the corner. None the less, impressive looking hulls. Randy obviously intends to make Nordic a big boat contender. I liked the Eliminator coupe too and several of Ultra's offerings among others.
The 2 Prime Marine built flatties as well as the Billy Dunsmore built Herbst Schiada in the lobby were all off the hook on creative install features. Mike King at Prime is truly an artist in hardware design. Did anyone notice Billy's dual ram inside hydraulic steering on the Schiada? These are both guys that are not confined to traditional thinking and concepts in rigging.
Then there were some boats that looked like they were in the 1975 show, just with newer colors which I won't mention the origin of.
I still find it disappointing most the east coast offshore boats have sparse or lacking representation at LA. I guess they sell all they can build back there and through thier dealer networks. Much like most west coast companies don't show at Miami and the other east coast shows even though the eastern half of the country is full of lakes where the west coast boats would be applicable to. Such is life.

Jyruiz
02-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Then there were some boats that looked like they were in the 1975 show, just with newer colors which I won't mention the origin of.
There is no fun in that.:D

convincor
02-12-2007, 03:19 PM
You guys are just spoiled.:) I came all the way from Ohio to see the show. It was the best show I have ever been to. If the Cleveland show had 20% of the performance boats the LA show has I would be thrilled. I was sportin wood just checking out the accessory venders and engine builders. Hope to make it back next year.

BADBLOWN572
02-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Did anyone notice the new Nordic 43 cat and 47 v-bottom tucked in the back corner by the houseboats (not the main Nordic booth). The cat looked like it had a beam as wide as football field. :eek:
That cat has the exact same beam as the 40' flat deck Skater. ;) :D

Deano
02-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Did anyone notice Billy's dual ram inside hydraulic steering on the Schiada?
very nice set up
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48DSC03778__28Medium_29.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48DSC03771__28Medium_29.JPG

MR.rvrluvr
02-12-2007, 03:52 PM
I enjoyed the eliminator booth and the Shiada in the lobby

superdave013
02-12-2007, 03:53 PM
You guys are just spoiled.:) I came all the way from Ohio to see the show. It was the best show I have ever been to. If the Cleveland show had 20% of the performance boats the LA show has I would be thrilled. I was sportin wood just checking out the accessory venders and engine builders. Hope to make it back next year.
yeah, these guys don't have a clue what the boat is like in the rest of the US. Out west and down in FLA is pretty much the mecca's of performance boating. But I do have to say, every time I go back to the mid west it seems to be stepped up a notch or 2.

out of bounds
02-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Here is the way I see it.When you take the 1st time boat buyers out of the market and the next step up boat runn over 65k it makes it hard to keep reinventing your self and making people say WOW . I remember when J W bought Ultra and how he came to the next boat show< people really looked forward to it .We always look forward to the cool thing we can afford. The year Ron E came out with the 25 Daytona it was totallt cool everybody was talking about it. Or when Cole came out with the Backhawk people left the show wanting it. Now most of the people leave the show thinking GOD I wish I could only afford that 100k Daytona sitting there.That is why the ski boat market is still doing so well they aren't out of reach and we you can keep bolting shinney bling bling stuff on them and they are happy and get to enloy your investment. I would love to see the price point come back alittle .I know that the big fast bitchen boats are doing well right now but I hope that we all don't forget where we started from. I like seeing Extream there and I wish we had more motor builders or the blower shop with the chrome shinny thing.
I know that the R O I for most builders is money well spent but when you trageting less then 1% of the boating world, and only 3% of the U S public (on the average west cost builder price point ) can afford that rig. The well will go dry. (Now I said afford)not take equity out to buy.
There is very littie that really blows my skirt up it seems that evrybody is chacing the same rabbit. Some one needs to take a look and come up with something different. Think out side of the box like the person that came up with the pasties, now that is thinking out side of the box and they are my hero.wow easy and they are cheep.I think they are on to something??????
Just my 2 cents

Miss Jackie
02-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Well I had a good time with you all and I am glad that I did make it out the boat show this year. It's been really nice seeing everyone these past few weekends. Thank you for making me feel so welcomed as well as my little one.
And if I haven't said it enough; thank you E4L, your the best babe. :)