PDA

View Full Version : NXT to a #6

UnionJack
02-12-2007, 02:23 PM
I heard a rumor that right now if you by a mercury 700 package, for $4000.00 more they will upgrade you to a # 6. That of course dealer cost, I heard that retail is 12K.

BADBLOWN572
02-12-2007, 02:27 PM
I heard a rumor that right now if you by a mercury 700 package, for $4000.00 more they will upgrade you to a # 6. That of course dealer cost, I heard that retail is 12K.
Even if it was $8K it would be a smoking deal!!! :)

UnionJack
02-12-2007, 02:36 PM
The 4k upgrade was from a very real source... big in the supercat industry

XFactor
02-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Maybe the offer is due to all the problems with the NXT drive so far. :confused:

UnionJack
02-12-2007, 03:00 PM
when your paying that kind of money for a boat, 8k is nothing for #6's

ClownRoyal
02-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Maybe the offer is due to all the problems with the NXT drive so far. :confused:
So why don't you enlighten us and tell us about 'all the problems' :idea:

UnionJack
02-12-2007, 03:29 PM
I haven't heard anything, about problems.

soupersonic
02-12-2007, 03:31 PM
I wonder if they are using the NXT transom assemblies and transmissions mated to the #6 drive like Fountain is (read it in the new mag) and then they are able to save some coin that way? I wonder the differences between the 2 transom assemblies are. Anyone know?

40FlatDeck
02-12-2007, 03:47 PM
I think some boats do not work very well with the NXT, a little to much lift, so they are going to the much more pointed nose of the 6 lower. If your boat works well with them on I dont see a huge advantage by going to them. Just a thought....:D

INSman
02-12-2007, 04:45 PM
I think more of the problems have been stemming from V's more than Cats. If you have access to Offshore Only, the question would likely get answered more quickly and accurately.

XFactor
02-12-2007, 04:54 PM
So why don't you enlighten us and tell us about 'all the problems' :idea:
Just heard at the boatshow they had a recent recall on some of the NXT's. I also read on OSO that some guys have had slipping problems with the gears. Haven't experienced it for myself (probably cause I don't have them) but I have heard this a few times.

redneckcharlie
02-12-2007, 05:12 PM
The 700 package from merc with the nxt is between 53 and 54 to the dealer. The four thousand dollar upgrade to a six applies if the nxt fails. Mercruiser is having some issues with the water pickups on the nxt drives. Merc is actually checking the installs before releasing the pickups for the drives. :D

Boatlesss
02-12-2007, 06:01 PM
They are having problems with the transmission that they designed.
There is also some serious handling issues with the units on the majority of the boats. I would bet that at the Miami boat show they will announce a change to the lower unit.
For what ever the cost, an upgrade is STUPID to pass up as the drive itself is far too limited.
It is mated to a so called 700 hp engine which is more like 750-770 and the transmission is breaking.
If you purchase the package and want to upgrade power to say 850ish, you will have to purchase two new SSM#6 drive units, as the transom assembly is not the same and the transmission in the NXT is too weak for the current power so it stands not chance in hell of holding anything larger.
You will also have to re-rig the boat as the engine has to go forward for the space required of the new BAM transmission Mercury sells for the SSM#6 drives.
So the owners are basically stuck.
Like others have said, 4K upgrade. DONE. Then the power upgrades are endless.

Patyacht
02-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Anyone get a picture of the drives on the 38' Fountain? I believe they were #6's on NXT Transom Assemblies. I was told by a very reliable southern CA high performance dealer that Reggie had handling issues on his new bottoms for the 35' and 38' Fountains so he got Merc to try #6's and it worked. I basically verified the story at the Merc booth. No one said anything about issues with the 700 NXT as the reason for the change.