PDA

View Full Version : Arizona to California trailer registration???

4day!!
02-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Well its time that i finally register my boat trailer in CA. The only problem is i cant find any of my AZ registration/paperwork for it. What do i need to do to get duplicates? I imagine i need to go to the AZ DMV. Does anybody know what forms are needed? I would like to do this online if possible. Also to rehash a subject that has been gone over before-What is the penalty for towing my boat trailer with AZ plates in CA(i am a CA resident and truck is regitered in CA.)?

mrs.rvrluvr
02-12-2007, 03:38 PM
we did ours You can download the aps for ca online you will need to go to ca dmv and have you trailer inspected before they will register it. you will also need you az registration. and pink slip

SummitKarl
02-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Well its time that i finally register my boat trailer in CA. The only problem is i cant find any of my AZ registration/paperwork for it. What do i need to do to get duplicates? I imagine i need to go to the AZ DMV. Does anybody know what forms are needed? I would like to do this online if possible. Also to rehash a subject that has been gone over before-What is the penalty for towing my boat trailer with AZ plates in CA(i am a CA resident and truck is regitered in CA.)?
you should be able to get your info here for the Az stuff
http://www.servicearizona.com/

Boatcop
02-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Go to www.servicearizona.com and you can get duplicate registration.
You may need to physically go to the MVD to get the duplicate title.
MVD FAQs: http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/scripts/faqs.asp?section=tr#9
If you are a CA resident and tow an AZ trailer, registered to you, in CA you're subject to huge fines, fees, penalties and impounding of the vehicle (trailer). Best to get the registration taken care of before you haul it across the border.
You may be able to get a temporary permit from CA, if you can't get the whole thing changed over right away. Check at the CA DMV to see what you have to do.

Ziggy
02-12-2007, 03:51 PM
If you are a CA resident and tow an AZ trailer, registered to you, in CA you're subject to huge fines, fees, penalties and impounding of the vehicle (trailer). Best to get the registration taken care of before you haul it across the border.
You may be able to get a temporary permit from CA, if you can't get the whole thing changed over right away. Check at the CA DMV to see what you have to do.
He may be able to get a "One Trip" permit from Ca.DMV to transport the thing legally.

4day!!
02-12-2007, 03:53 PM
impounding of the vehicle (trailer). Best to get the registration taken care of before you haul it across the border.
Have you actually heard of this happening? Even with the boat on the trailer?
Do i actually need the title since the bank still owns the trailer and i can't get the title until it's paid off, correct?

ULTRA26 # 1
02-12-2007, 03:54 PM
It is my understanding that there is no penalty for towing an AZ trailer in CA with a CA reg'd vehicle and CA driver license. While it is possible that you might be stopped for doing this, the remody should be no more than a no fine fixit ticket. I was given this information by LE after finding a warning on my CA reg'd truck parked at Needles, with my AZ trailer hooked on.
John M

SummitKarl
02-12-2007, 03:55 PM
hey what ya doing for lunch tomorrow, I got to go to the building dept in parker.... oh and where in the heck is this, have a garage addition to look at
"Behind the Jetski Rental shop is a road called Rio Vista, on the inland side of the old highway 95."

ULTRA26 # 1
02-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Please inform all of us on what law this is based? After being warned at Needles with my CA truck and AZ trailer, I thoroughly researched CA vehicle code and found nothing. I also spoke CHP and SBCS who could not cite applicable CA vehicle code. I own a home in AZ and because of this, I believe my situation might be different. In my research I learned that I may not use my AZ tagged boat in CA, at any time.

C-2
02-12-2007, 04:35 PM
On a related note....
I hear the CHP are enforcing out of state registration violations (vehicles) by using California Homeowners Exemption records. If you claim the exemption on your taxes, then in their opinion they have you.
When the question was posed about being able to claim a Cali exemption and an Oregon exemption (for example), their response was the tax code says “primary residence”, you can’t consider residences in two states as your primary residence under any tax code.
They also said they would be pleased to share the info with the other state, and the State of California. I guess the theory is, you don’t want the state auditing your arse over your Cali exemption.
Maybe a tax guy can answer if they are on solid ground.
Sounds good and would scare the bejeezuz out of me! Don’t mess with the State.:)

Boatcop
02-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Please inform all of us on what law this is based? After being warned at Needles with my CA truck and AZ trailer, I thoroughly researched CA vehicle code and found nothing. I also spoke CHP and SBCS who could not cite applicable CA vehicle code. I own a home in AZ and because of this, I believe my situation might be different. In my research I learned that I may not use my AZ tagged boat in CA, at any time.
Here's the statute:
CA VC 8804. Every person who, while a resident, as defined in Section 516, of this state, with respect to any vehicle owned by him and operated in this state, registers or renews the registration for the vehicle in a foreign jurisdiction, without the payment of appropriate fees and taxes to this state, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
As far as operating an AZ registered boat in Ca, that's no problem. The law says that you must register a boat in the state of principle use. That means 51% of the time. If you run it on the Colorado River, or Lake Havasu, you can register it in either state as "principle use". In order to prove that a boat is used principally in CA, Law Enforcement must constantly observe it being operated on a CA Lake or in CA coastal waters for more than 6 months.
Here's the info on that. Residency doesn't matter:
The following vessels do not have to be registered in California:
Vessels propelled solely by oars or paddles.
Nonmotorized sailboats that are eight feet or less in length.
Nonmotorized surfboards propelled by a sail and with a mast that the operator must hold upright.
A ship’s lifeboat (a dinghy is not a lifeboat).
Vessels currently and lawfully numbered (registered) by another state that are principally used outside California.
Vessels brought into California for racing purposes only (exempted only during races and tune-ups).
Just owning a home in AZ does not make you a "Resident". You are a "Resident" of the state where you pay taxes, vote, enroll kids in school, etc. Whether you own property in AZ has no bearing on reigstering vehicles or boats.

Ziggy
02-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Here's the statute:
As far as operating an AZ registered boat in Ca, that's no problem. The law says that you must register a boat in the state of principle use. That means 51% of the time. If you run it on the Colorado River, or Lake Havasu, you can register it in either state as "principle use". In order to prove that a boat is used principally in CA, Law Enforcement must constantly observe it being operated on a CA Lake or in CA coastal waters for more than 6 months.
Here's the info on that. Residency doesn't matter:
Just owning a home in AZ does not make you a "Resident". You are a "Resident" of the state where you pay taxes, vote, enroll kids in school, etc. Whether you own property in AZ has no bearing on reigstering vehicles or boats.
I can almost see your eyes rolling from here Alan while typing this stuff for the umpteen millionth time.
;) :D

909punk
02-12-2007, 05:22 PM
So let me ask you this..
I am looking to buy a boat in California, but I live in AZ..
So could I get stopped in Cali for having a AZ plated truck and CA trailer on my way back home to AZ? or Stopped by a AZ patrol for having the CA reg boat/trailer?

Boatcop
02-12-2007, 05:34 PM
So let me ask you this..
I am looking to buy a boat in California, but I live in AZ..
So could I get stopped in Cali for having a AZ plated truck and CA trailer on my way back home to AZ? or Stopped by a AZ patrol for having the CA reg boat/trailer?
Keep the sales paperwork with you. You have 15 days to change registration on a new purchase of a boat or vehicle.

Sun burners
02-12-2007, 05:43 PM
So is there a fine if I tow my friends Az. boat and Az. trailer with my Ca. truck back to California ???
What if I borrow a utility trailer for hauling items back and forth across the Az. Ca. border???

Boatcop
02-12-2007, 05:55 PM
So is there a fine if I tow my friends Az. boat and Az. trailer with my Ca. truck back to California ???
What if I borrow a utility trailer for hauling items back and forth across the Az. Ca. border???
It only applies to vehicles YOU own.