PDA

View Full Version : Need Chevy Truck Advice

HatenWinter
02-12-2007, 08:23 PM
I might be pulling the trigger on a new (used) truck tomorrow or the next day. It's a 2005 Chevy 2500 crew cab Duramax longbed with 22.000 miles. The price is pretty good too. It is a 2 wheel drive but it has a 6 inch RCD lift with bilstien shocks and 35 inch tires. My question is if there are any common problems with a lifted 2 w/d truck. I don't like the look of stock 2 w/d's and probably would not ever really need a 4 w/d. I like the look of it alot and it would be used for towing a 26 ft. travel trailer occasionally and the boat only in Havasu. Thanks for the input!

selfmade
02-12-2007, 08:36 PM
The only problem seems to be the idler and pittman arms, replace those with the cognito kit and you should be good. I drive mine everyday and have had no problems

HatenWinter
02-12-2007, 08:43 PM
That may have been done already but if not, what kind of cost would I be looking at?

HMF'er
02-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Bushings, bearings, and other aftermarket components can go out any time. I speak from experience on two different trucks. The stuff goes out when you least expect it and much earlier than OEM parts would.
One advantage is a lifted truck looks cool and chicks dig it.

HatenWinter
02-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Bushings, bearings, and other aftermarket components can go out any time. I speak from experience on two different trucks. The stuff goes out when you least expect it and much earlier than OEM parts would.
Thats true about the chicks:D I remember you saying that you had trouble with your truck, was it the lift components that went bad or the factory parts? Wouldn't you run into the same problems on a lifted 4x4? Thanks!

HMF'er
02-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Thats true about the chicks:D I remember you saying that you had trouble with your truck, was it the lift components that went bad or the factory parts? Wouldn't you run into the same problems on a lifted 4x4? Thanks!
On my last truck, the aftermarket parts caused the stock joints to rotate to extreme angles and fail. My previous truck (Toyota) just had aftermarked parts come loose, never was able to properly align it. My buddy has a lifted 2WD Chevy and he has had a joint go bad. These are new trucks I'm talking about, they shouldn't have all this crap go bad with them. Yes, 4WD can also have the same problems. There will be some that tell you they haven't had any problems with their lift, I guess they are lucky, I haven't been so lucky and I will never lift again.

Trailer Park Casanova
02-13-2007, 03:18 PM
There it is.
If you do a search on :
www.glamisdunes.com
You'll get stories with pix on just such issues.

Kachina26
02-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Driveline angles can be an issue, make sure they have been corrected to accomodate the lift. Ball joints can fail too. Depending on the tire size, you may want to have it re geared to take some pressure off of the trans.

cc322
02-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Just step up to a 4x4... when you least expect it you will need it and it sits higher allready.:idea:

wright27
02-14-2007, 07:40 AM
I have a 2006 Gmc Sierra duramax crew cab 4x4 I am thinking of putting up for sale.It only has just over 10k miles. If you are still looking and want some info send me a pm.

HatenWinter
02-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks again for all the info guys, definatley food for thought.

voodoomedman
02-14-2007, 09:07 PM
I've got a 2wd lifted on 35's. I have had no problems. With that said it's an 02 we bought new and then had lifted and it has only twenty something thousand miles now. I would say find a reputable shop. Yeah stuff may still happen but if you take it to any old place that has a 17 year old kid banging on your truck just so you can save 50 bucks then you are asking for trouble.

HatenWinter
02-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Well, I bought the truck last night! But, I did take all of your input seriously. It's just something I have really wanted for awhile, 1st lifted truck. Hopefully I won't have any big issues, it looks like it was done right. Thanks again everyone:)

HMF'er
02-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Congrats on the new truck!
Is it this one:
"It's a 2005 Chevy 2500 crew cab Duramax longbed with 22.000 miles. The price is pretty good too. It is a 2 wheel drive but it has a 6 inch RCD lift with bilstien shocks and 35 inch tires."

LUVNLIFE
02-15-2007, 07:07 PM
I might be pulling the trigger on a new (used) truck tomorrow or the next day. It's a 2005 Chevy 2500 crew cab Duramax longbed with 22.000 miles. The price is pretty good too. It is a 2 wheel drive but it has a 6 inch RCD lift with bilstien shocks and 35 inch tires. My question is if there are any common problems with a lifted 2 w/d truck. I don't like the look of stock 2 w/d's and probably would not ever really need a 4 w/d. I like the look of it alot and it would be used for towing a 26 ft. travel trailer occasionally and the boat only in Havasu. Thanks for the input!
I have the same setup. Forty thousand miles and no problems. Congrats on the new truck.:)

HatenWinter
02-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys, yeah it's the one I was referring to in my first post. Wish me luck!!!:D

wright27
02-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Congrats on the new truck. I had a lifted 2wd and never had a problem.