PDA

View Full Version : The Dirt Is Flying In Havasu

Not So Fast
02-13-2007, 07:15 AM
Drove up to the Avi yesterday and guess whats going on in Havasu?? Yep, after hearing about our new mall for umpteen years now and reading that silly sign about it, they are finally slinging some dirt out there. Not a huge undertaking with only 3 scrapers but they get a lot done quickly so it's finally started, YIPPEE!!!!! Slated opening for spring of 2008. NSF

Focker
02-13-2007, 07:17 AM
any list of stores they are putting in?

sdpm
02-13-2007, 07:19 AM
I have heard that Costco has land out there but not sure where or when they are going to build.:idea:

98 Vector 21
02-13-2007, 07:19 AM
Please no more malls.....

Not So Fast
02-13-2007, 07:21 AM
any list of stores they are putting in?
Anchors so they say will be Super WalFart, JC Pennys and Dillards. Not exactly the best but a start because some one will fill the vacant stores we hope. No naming of the satelite stores as of yet. NSF

OutCole'd
02-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Finally my wife is going to want to go to Havasu every weekend.

Sandbar Mike
02-13-2007, 07:23 AM
I'll be willing to bet the stores fall flat on there face.
Snowbirds don't spend any money, they are happy with Wallmart. Costco sounds good though, cheaper boose in town!

Ziggy
02-13-2007, 10:21 AM
The added amenities will be nice but its slowly eating away at the small town atmosphere that I so enjoy there..
I can understand they want to keep those tax dollars in town instead of everyone always carrying the goods in from afar.

JB in so cal
02-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Like you're really married:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HavaTan
02-13-2007, 10:40 AM
I'll be willing to bet the stores fall flat on there face.
Snowbirds don't spend any money, they are happy with Wallmart. Costco sounds good though, cheaper boose in town!
1st: Nice positive attitude...
2nd: There's only 1 L in Wal-Mart...
3rd: It's BOOZE, not boose.
Not nitpicking, but if you're gonna be negative, be accurate. :D

a catered life
02-13-2007, 10:53 AM
I have heard that Costco has land out there but not sure where or when they are going to build.:idea:
gotta love costco...yum hot pizza:) , hot dog,;) cheese from around the world:D , crab legs:eek: , all kinds of breads:jawdrop: and samples:sqeyes: .....whooo...calm down boy calm down i think i just creamed myself

sdpm
02-13-2007, 11:06 AM
I just don't think that Havasu and it's residents are large enough to support a Costco. I don't know how both Home Depot and Lowes are going to survive. Everytime I am in Home Depot it is empty. I don't know how they make it?

Not So Fast
02-14-2007, 07:41 AM
:mad: just what the world needs , another friggin mall !!! why don'y they take that money and make a nice lakeside sports complex,volleyball, baseball, soccer, bmx, mx, skatepark, all terraced so everyone could see the lake while enjoying some other sports while at the river, stupid me, that would'nt make the greed mongers any money, screw the mall, any mall.
Just what I would have said before we moved here 5 years ago after coming from So O.C. where a mall is within walking distance from anybody!! BUT now I realize FYI how limited the shopping is here in Havasu and it is very limited, so let them build it cause we need it.
On the other hand if you are concerned about rampant growth here then bitch to someone about the many many large developements right here in river city. The Island will be covered shortly with houses and hotels, the 640 acre Foothill estates up on the hill, the 200 plus homes being built by Read homes out by the Golden Horseshoe, Sailing Hawks developement on LBR, those are right here bud and right now and I'll join you on that !!! Dont for get about the hundreds of thousands of homes being built along the 93 by Mardian and Rhoads homes out of Vegas, it is simply hard to believe the scope of those projects.
No, I dont think think one little strip mall will be a detrement to Havasu at all, its the other things that will ruin it and the lake.. JMO. When and where do you want to protest?? NSF

Throttle
02-14-2007, 07:46 AM
we were just talking bout this the other day, and how long before they really build another bridge?

KREGER
02-14-2007, 07:50 AM
Good one!! Mine has already noticed the NEW place to eventually shop.

Kilrtoy
02-14-2007, 07:50 AM
NO COSTCO,
WalMart clearly stated that if the city wants them to stay and build the SUPER WalMart, then Costco can not be allowed to build. And unless you live here then you have no clue what it is like being forced to drive 200 miles to go to the nearest mall or paying double the price for the same items you can get in other stores.

Not So Fast
02-14-2007, 08:00 AM
Cam; after being in the biz so to speak, the good folks of Havasu have no idea how long that bridge will take. Bridge building is unto itself in the time element, it is a long, long process. Ever watch an overpass being constructed, painfully slow and plus I believe they will have to deal with the Army Corp of Engineers which is another ball of wax by itself.
Kilr, we agree on something ?? OMG finally ;) NSF

Havasu1986
02-14-2007, 08:24 AM
NO COSTCO,
WalMart clearly stated that if the city wants them to stay and build the SUPER WalMart, then Costco can not be allowed to build. And unless you live here then you have no clue what it is like being forced to drive 200 miles to go to the nearest mall or paying double the price for the same items you can get in other stores.
You didn't know this before you moved there.:confused: I remember back 20 years ago when I bought my 1st house in Havi and their was no K-Mart, No Wal Mart. It was basically Safeway. I have plenty of freinds that have retired there and they make the trip to Costco near Vegas as a road trip to get out of town. They are not forced to drive anywhere. I'm afraid by the time I can retire in 8 years, Havi may to over populated for me. My.02

Mrs.Racer277
02-14-2007, 08:33 AM
NO COSTCO,
Sam's Club or Vegas????

Baja Big Dog
02-14-2007, 09:19 AM
NO COSTCO,
That takes balls for Wal Mart to make demands on a city, these guys spend alot of time kissing ass to get a new store built, so the mom and pop stores eat shit and die, and now they are making demands......WOW:o

Baja Big Dog
02-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Oh yea....this means three four or maybe if we are lucky five or six new signals, yippie just imagine it will now take and hour and a half to get from the 40 to Havasu!!!!
I cant wait....
What is happening to my neat little city that made chain saws????

LHC30Victory
02-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Getting time to find another small town in the desert with a large lake...
Ok, I'm waking soon, just dont spoil my dream...

SummitKarl
02-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Drove up to the Avi yesterday and guess whats going on in Havasu?? Yep, after hearing about our new mall for umpteen years now and reading that silly sign about it, they are finally slinging some dirt out there. Not a huge undertaking with only 3 scrapers but they get a lot done quickly so it's finally started, YIPPEE!!!!! Slated opening for spring of 2008. NSF
just what we need more min. wage jobs and car dealerships:rolleyes:
what we need is more manufacturing and tech sector, we do not need anymore service industry that depends on the general publics disposable income

mbrown2
02-14-2007, 10:13 AM
In 50 years the undeveloped land between Indio and Phoenix will no longer exist....
Get used to it; the river will never be like it once was....only thing that stops development is geography, $$ and interest....none of which are big hurdles for Havasu so it will continue to expand...people think it is overpriced now...check back in 10 years...

Todd969
02-14-2007, 10:15 AM
NO COSTCO,
Henderson is 136 miles.

sdpm
02-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Soon it will need a larger airport as well.

Keith E. Sayre
02-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Is it still going to be all outdoors like the Walmart shopping center? That should be fun in August!
We finally get to have a little mall and the builder
(not us) decides that he wants an outdoor mall?
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Baja Big Dog
02-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Is it still going to be all outdoors like the Walmart shopping center? That should be fun in August!
We finally get to have a little mall and the builder
(not us) decides that he wants an outdoor mall?
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Comeon Keith...its a dry heat!!!:jawdrop:

SHOTKALLIN
02-14-2007, 12:00 PM
NO COSTCO,
I love Walmart. I'm a Walmart shopper but WTF? Are they scared of the competiton?

SummitKarl
02-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Soon it will need a larger airport as well.
the runway is already huge at 8k ft long, thats 747 capable if its 32 degrees out:D

AzLakeLizard
02-14-2007, 12:32 PM
NO COSTCO,
We would have given anything to have a COSTCO here in Page rather that the Stupor Wal Nutz that was just built last year.. :mad:
We have to drive to St George Utah or to Phoenix to get to a Costco!:jawdrop:

Mrs.Killer
02-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Henderson is 136 miles.
There's a mall in Henderson????

SHOTKALLIN
02-14-2007, 12:42 PM
NO COSTCO,
I love Walmart. I'm a Walmart shopper but WTF? Are they scared of the competiton? If so thats lame.

Ziggy
02-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Why wouldn't WalMart just build a Sam's club instead of a super walmart and still leave the Walmart intact?

Todd969
02-14-2007, 12:47 PM
There's a mall in Henderson????
Yep, lots of mainstream stores in Henderson. There's also Prescott and Yuma, both just about 2hrs away.

SHOTKALLIN
02-14-2007, 12:47 PM
City of Havasu should tell Walmart to pound sand and that Target would love to open a SuperTarget just like the one they are building next door to the Moreno Valley Walmart.:D

Mrs.Killer
02-14-2007, 12:58 PM
City of Havasu should tell Walmart to pound sand and that Target would love to open a SuperTarget just like the one they are building next door to the Moreno Valley Walmart.:D
Now thats what Im talking about....

Sandbar Mike
02-14-2007, 01:54 PM
1st: Nice positive attitude...
2nd: There's only 1 L in Wal-Mart...
3rd: It's BOOZE, not boose.
Not nitpicking, but if you're gonna be negative, be accurate. :D
Thanks for That, I'm going too fast.

Not So Fast
02-14-2007, 02:26 PM
just what we need more min. wage jobs and car dealerships:rolleyes:
what we need is more manufacturing and tech sector, we do not need anymore service industry that depends on the general publics disposable income
Odd that you feel this way Carl, being in the construction biz and a long time resident I thought you would know how badly we need a little shopping here and after all it is just a big strip mall for Gods sake. It pales in comparison to the home building efforts by you and your cohorts that all you want to do is continue building more and more homes with no infrastructure to support it. You cant have have it both ways and YOU know it. NSF PS Thats being a hypocrite in my book. It s Ok for you to do your little project on the south side that looks like the OC with houses on top of one another though huh? Gimme a break!!!!!!!