PDA

View Full Version : Toll Roads

sdpm
02-13-2007, 02:00 PM
I was watching KTLA News this morning and they were talking about the opening of another toll road somewhere and how much it would cost to use it. I thought I heard them say that it costs close to $10.00 to drive the 91 each way! That's $20.00 a day. Is that true? If so that's nuts. I thought our taxes paid for them. What happened? Pretty soon we will be charged to travel on any road.

Ziggy
02-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Those of us in the western states are rather spoiled by all the "free"ways.

Quality Time
02-13-2007, 02:33 PM
I thought our taxes paid for them. What happened? Pretty soon we will be charged to travel on any road.
Your taxes pay for the "free-ways" or lack ther of:( Toll Roads are paid through bonds sold on the market.

Ziggy
02-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Your taxes pay for the "free-ways" or lack ther of:( Toll Roads are paid through bonds sold on the market.
My taxes paid for Diamond Lanes too but I can't use that whenever I want...........thats something that has bothered me alot over the years. I know and understand the concept but wouldn't that one extra lane for all traffic benefit everyone better than just the few diligent carpoolers?

Jyruiz
02-13-2007, 02:42 PM
My taxes paid for Diamond Lanes too but I can't use that whenever I want...........thats something that has bothered me alot over the years. I know and understand the concept but wouldn't that one extra lane for all traffic benefit everyone better than just the few diligent carpoolers?
Yes.

Quality Time
02-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Until it is as jammed as the others, and the state doesn't make the EPA happy, but I do agree with you.

boatnam2
02-13-2007, 03:05 PM
91 is already almost 10 bucks one way 4-6 pm mon-fri and half the time it stops just like the freeway.

shockwaveharry
02-13-2007, 03:28 PM
I was watching KTLA News this morning and they were talking about the opening of another toll road somewhere and how much it would cost to use it. I thought I heard them say that it costs close to $10.00 to drive the 91 each way! That's $20.00 a day. Is that true? If so that's nuts. I thought our taxes paid for them. What happened? Pretty soon we will be charged to travel on any road.
$8.50 or so each way during peak hours. I hardly use it but I know people who drive it daily.
$350.00 for the tolls, $250.00 for fuel, $500.00 car payment, $120.00 for insurance. Those are just random numbers but that's a big chunk of someone's paycheck living in Riverside and traveling the 40-60 miles into the OC for work every day.

superdave013
02-13-2007, 03:39 PM
$8.50 or so each way during peak hours. I hardly use it but I know people who drive it daily.
$350.00 for the tolls, $250.00 for fuel, $500.00 car payment, $120.00 for insurance. Those are just random numbers but that's a big chunk of someone's paycheck living in Riverside and traveling the 40-60 miles into the OC for work every day.
I looked at that the same way when I was buying a house. That pretty much took the good out of the good deals on housing out there. Glad I ended up 4 miles from work.

boatnam2
02-13-2007, 03:54 PM
I looked at that the same way when I was buying a house. That pretty much took the good out of the good deals on housing out there. Glad I ended up 4 miles from work.
there is no good deal out here.shitt 12 years ago you coudnt give away land in cucamunga there is all kinds of stuff selling there now for a million+ i dont get it.you may get more house and newer now days but the prices are almost just as high in the 951.i tint the windows try to get in the fast trak after 6 usally around 6:30 and go throgh 3+ so its free.payed 4k for a commuter hopefully it will go 150k and i work 12 hour shift so night and weekends.i could never drive it 5 days a week mon-fri.

Seadog
02-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Here we have lots of turnpikes. They are built with bonds, like almost all turnpikes in this nation. The tolls pay for the retirement of the bonds and the maintenance of the roads. It also pays for police patrols. The advantage is that only those that use it, pay for it. And they do not add to the wear and tear on the other roads that we pay for with gas taxes. Since most of the toll roads in Oklahoma are heavily travelled by semis going cross country, it saves the people in the state a lot of money.
Nothing is free. That is a ploy by politicians and other crooks. Some roads require a general funding because they cannot enjoy limited access. And there should always be a reasonable route to any public area.

Riomouse911
02-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Ok has more toll miles than any state in the Country...over 600. ..and the people there seem to do just fine. Ca has 40+ million people, and 80 toll miles... and all we do is whine.