PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Offered To Customers Without Social Security Number

RitcheyRch
02-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Not really fond of this idea.
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/11001355/detail.html?dl=headlineclick
Bank of America has started offering credit cards to customers who do not have Social Security numbers, according to a report Tuesday in the Wall Street Journal.
The newspaper reported that the card, which has an interest rate as high as 21 percent, is available to people without a Social Security number and a credit history. The applicant must have a checking account with the bank for three months without an overdraft.
Bank of America tested the program at five Los Angeles branches last year, according to the newspaper. NBC4 reported that the bank plans to expand the program to 51 branches throughout Los Angeles County.
The bank has plans to expand the program throughout the United States later this year, according to the newspaper.
Bank of America said the program will help undocumented workers build good credit. The cards are designed to be a first step for immigrants trying to build a credit history, bank spokeswoman Alexandra C. Trower told the Los Angeles Times.
Critics said the program helps people who violate immigration law.

burtandnancy2
02-13-2007, 05:08 PM
You and I would have 25 pages of credit reports and references to fill out including a long work history...

redneckcharlie
02-13-2007, 05:13 PM
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

909punk
02-13-2007, 05:16 PM
talk about high risk transactions.

bubbletop409
02-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Ya, and when the illegals fail to pay their bill or just fade into the desert where they came from, who do you think will be picking up the tab for that one. You know the banks are not going to eat the loss. I just read a report that 20 billion ( with a B ) dollars were transfered from the USA to mexico last year, up from 16 the previous year. If these vermin can send that much money to mexico, they should be able to pay cash for all their junk.

RitcheyRch
02-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. So far, it sounds like BofA is the only bank considering this.
Ya, and when the illegals fail to pay their bill or just fade into the desert where they came from, who do you think will be picking up the tab for that one. You know the banks are not going to eat the loss. I just read a report that 20 billion ( with a B ) dollars were transfered from the USA to mexico last year, up from 16 the previous year. If these vermin can send that much money to mexico, they should be able to pay cash for all their junk.

jbone
02-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Banks have been doing home loans for illegals for some time now.
If the government doesn't do something soon, we will truly become a Mexican state.
Bush is the worst on this topic.
J

Tahiti350
02-13-2007, 06:04 PM
If the government doesn't do something soon, we will truly become a Mexican state.
J
Most of us could care less if they take Califorinia back, let them deal with all the ignorant laws on the books. They'd probably give it back when they realized how screwed up it really is. Ya'all created California, have fun.
Seriously though, If you want something done YOU need to start doing something about it. Call you friends, fellow boaters, family, whoever, and then have everyone flood Arnold's office as well as the senators, mayors, etc with phone calls and eimails until they realize that the PEOPLE want it fixed!!!!
That or kick Arnold out of office and vote in someone who will fix it.

al cole'holic
02-13-2007, 06:12 PM
..we definitely invaded the wrong country. Anyone else ever ponder the what if's if we took over Mexico and turned it into a territory?? :D

Moneypitt
02-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Not really fond of this idea.
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/11001355/detail.html?dl=headlineclick
The newspaper reported that the card, which has an interest rate as high as 21 percent, is available to people without a Social Security number and a credit history. The applicant must have a checking account with the bank for three months without an overdraft.
Question, Illegal "A" has a checking account. He/she wants to write a check for goods or services. What kind of ID will they produce???? If any of us want to do the same thing it's current ID, credit card or two, before anyone will even think about taking a check........So what do the illegals show while writing a check??????? How will the bank prove who they are in the first place??. I see a bunch of problems with this. I also see about ten phony accounts for every real one. The feds are gonna go nuts trying to track ill gotten booty...........If I had an account at B of A I would be there in the morning to withdraw every dime...........MP

Boatcop
02-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Used car dealers have been doing this for years.
When we apprehend an illegal, we tow the car and turn the illegal over to Border Patrol. If the vehicle is owned outright we send a certified letter to the registered owner, advising them of the towing and storage fees. If they fail to pick it up, after 90 days we auction it off.
You should see some of the loans many of these cars have. One example is a 1999 Dodge Caravan we siezed. The loan papers were in the glove box, from a dealer in National City.
Price: $14,500.00.
Down Payment: $5,500.00
Interest rate: 36%
Total amount financed:$9,000.00
Total cost of vehicle: $25,012.00
For a mini-van worth no more than $4,500.00.
The Spanish speaking dealer had no problem coming out, paying the towing/storage fee and picking up the van. Probably so he could turn around and sell it to another illegal. More than likely he was working with (or was) the Coyote.

Moneypitt
02-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Alan, what type of IDs do these illegals have? Mexican? Az, Ca??????? Or none at all?...........MP

Boatcop
02-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Alan, what type of IDs do these illegals have? Mexican? Az, Ca??????? Or none at all?...........MP
Mexican IDs........
.....and fake SSN and immigartion (green) cards.
We can't prosecute them for forgery, because possession of those are Federal Crimes. ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) usually tries to find out where they got them, but they never talk. In the grand scheme of things, it isn't worth prosecuting them. It would just over-crowd the Federal Prisons and keep them here longer. Free ride to Algodones or Mexicali is usually all they get.

Moneypitt
02-13-2007, 08:07 PM
So how does B of A figure they can use a checking account without local, current ID, AND a valid credit card in their name?......Same shit a citizen would need to write a check for goods or services?........But alot less than a citizen needs to open an account, and a citizen can forget about a credit card without years of history.........MP

Mtg Pro
02-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Any ID you want for $25 a piece.....

al cole'holic
02-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Tahiti, Arny hasn't got a say in it. It's a Fed matter. Our POS for a pres is pro mex and is selling us down the gutter. Personally, I don't know how he has bullshiitted the American people so completely when just about every thing he has done is so anti-America, anti-USA Citizen. He has done absolutely nothing for this country that has made it a better place to live.
Save the bs about keeping the US free from terrorists. Half a dozen stealth bombers would be able to turn the middle east into a large BBQ pit that would even glow in the dark...end of that problem.
My question is "How much or what, is this traitor getting for turning this place into "upper-tiajuana" and how are we gonna turn this situation around short of manning the border with armed CITIZENS with orders to 'shoot to kill'?
Rio
..thank you Rio.

dirty old man
02-14-2007, 09:01 AM
B of A won't be losing any money on this deal, the interest will be way up. They aren't that dumb

bubbletop409
02-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Think I'll drop into B of A today and attempt to get one of these accounts without providing ID or SSN. When I am refused, it seems like a good case for a discrimination charge against them. :D

wolfie
02-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Need to go after the banks for aiding and abeding (? spelling) a criminal.

SHOTKALLIN
02-14-2007, 11:33 AM
If this turns a profit for B of A you will see other banks jumping on the bandwagon. I don't think a boycott of B of A will do much good.:(

rampgirl-top
02-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Banks have been doing home loans for illegals for some time now.
Bush is the worst on this topic.
J
Its already happening....went into the local Walmart and the greeter greeted me in spanish!!! The most popular baby names in Texas for 2006 was Jose.

RitcheyRch
02-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Have seen a few Mexican Banks open up in the local Walmarts.

Sleek-Jet
02-14-2007, 11:54 AM
B of A won't be losing any money on this deal, the interest will be way up. They aren't that dumb
Have you seen BofA's default interest rate??? It's well into the mid 30% range. It's prime plus 27% I believe. :eek:
I've got an idle BofA credit card... haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or not, we'll see if they start dinging me for service fees, keeping the credit line open with no activity.

HM
02-14-2007, 12:16 PM
This is nothing new. Wells Fargo started doing it a few years back. But, they didn't announce it to the country. BoA tried to use the PR as free advertising and had it backfire on them. What they are doing is not illegal, either.
I am all for making money off of illegal aliens...anything we can do to keep more money in the U.S. is good in my book. But, it does enable illegals to operate in our society more easily. And I beleive that it should be as hard as hell for illegals to function in our society. I am also for allowing more immigrants to come to the U.S., but only if they really want to be a U.S. citizen...a good portion of the illegals from Mexico have NO interest in being U.S. citizens.
I think this is over-blown, but it is sort of the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't think there are a bunch of people motivated to migrate to the U.S. illegally just because of a credit card with 21% interest. They are motivated to come here for tax free wages and free health care.

burtandnancy2
02-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Six businessmen at lunch today, three are cancelling their accounts with B of A as of today. If this is a trend, I bet they'll think this over...

OCMerrill
02-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Bank of America has been doing business in Mexico (they don't have SS numbers there) for years. They are just going after that business here. Mexicans do have ID. Here or there they are documented in Mexico if they want an education, a real job, own property, etc. When they come here (by however) they have their Mexican ID usually. This is how they are getting accounts.
I know this because I hire construction temps. I ALWAYS check ID when they arrive on my job site. It amazes how many workers come to me form a real temp agency that are not legal. I just send them away. No ands, ifs, or buts.
I do have a few Mexicans working for me. They have papers and paid allot of money, lawyer, applications, sponsorship, court,etc, to be here and work.
They are the first to rat out an illegal.
BofA is after that illegal alien share of the pie. Whores.
I would imagine the Feds will jump in here and stop it.

anxious
02-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Think I'll drop into B of A today and attempt to get one of these accounts without providing ID or SSN. When I am refused, it seems like a good case for a discrimination charge against them. :D
that is exactly what im saying.......

NOTALENT
02-14-2007, 10:12 PM
I sent them an email regarding this and how im cancelling my accounts...this is the email I recieved....
Thank you for your inquiry dated 2/14/07 regarding Other. We will be
happy to assist you.
Bank of America prides itself on looking for innovative ways to extend
credit to individuals who have demonstrated sound financial management,
but may be challenged with building credit, such as life-long cash
users, or rebuilding their credit histories.
Like many of our programs, this credit card initiative is meant to
educate existing customers about building a solid credit history. We
use
the same criteria to extend credit across our entire customer base.
Customers who sign up for this particular credit card program must meet
the following requirements:
- Have an existing deposit account.
- Have either a Social Security Number, SSN, or proof of United States
government federal taxpayer status, such as a federal government
Taxpayer ID Number, TIN. The USA PATRIOT Act customer ID requirements
are fulfilled for all Bank of America customers.
Given we have 5,700 banking centers throughout the country, this is a
very small pilot that educates and helps existing Hispanic customers
understand how to develop good credit history in 51 Los Angeles banking
centers.
Bank of America strives to provide the best products and services to
achieve customer satisfaction.
Because you are an important customer to us, we would greatly
appreciate
the opportunity in keeping your account relationship with Bank of
America. If you need assistance with your account in any way, please
send us another message, as we are more than happy to serve you.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We value you
as a customer and appreciate your business. If we may be of further
assistance, please contact us again by e-mail. Thank you for choosing
Bank of America.

Huckleberry
02-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Don't get me wrong...I'm 110% against illegal immigration an the BS benefits they get here in the U.S. But, what type of ID do the residents of Canada, England, Ireland, Mexico, Bolivia, Israel, China, Japan, Turkey......provide when they get a bank credit card? These counntries do not have SSN's. I don't think it's such a huge risk on B of A's part. They do it every day all across the world. They saw a cash cow here in the U.S. and jumped on it.

OverKill
02-15-2007, 04:07 AM
Sounds more like Bank of Meximerica. It's funny how every President in History was assinated or was attemted to be assinated for doing the right thing. However knowone does a thing to the cluck Phuking up this country now.
Here is a fact in basic economics. If everybody in America stopped working for just three hours, America would fold. Imagine what that would do to Bank Of America??:idea: :idea: :idea:

NashvilleBound
02-15-2007, 04:56 AM
I must say that I disagree 100% with B of A. Never liked them still dont. I do feel for the imigrant, regardless of where they come from, that comes here to better themselves. I would be, without a doubt, doing the same thing. Its the ones that come here over and over to milk the system or cause trouble that I have issues with. These are for the most part the ones that are going to benifit with this rediculous credit card idea. B of A is not the only problem maker, or goverment is the worst offender. B of A is, like previously stated, taking advantage of a business situation. Both make me sick.

bubbletop409
02-15-2007, 11:43 AM
I do feel for the imigrant, regardless of where they come from, that comes here to better themselves.
If they are legal, then that's fine. But what we are talking about are illegals, and I could care less what their reasons are, they are breaking the law, and should be dealt with accordingly. You could make the same argument for a bank robber, ( he was only trying to make a better life for his family ), illegal is illegal, no rights, special treatment, benefits, or any goverment hand out. To take it a step further, perhaps they should be made to perform a certain amount of work prior to deportation to cover the transportation cost back to the border.