ParkerRat
02-15-2007, 07:24 AM
What do you think? BS?
> Dear XXXXXXXXX
>
> Thank you for your inquiry dated 2/14/07 regarding Other. We will be
> happy to assist you.
>
> Your concerns are very important to us.
>
> We appreciate you taking the time to submit your comments and
> suggestions. Please be aware that we are only providing banking to
> legal aliens.
>
> Bank of America prides itself on looking for innovative ways to extend
> credit to individuals who have demonstrated sound financial management,
> but may be challenged with building credit, such as life-long cash
> users, or rebuilding their credit histories.
>
> Like many of our programs, this credit card initiative is meant to
> educate existing customers about building a solid credit history. We use
> the same criteria to extend credit across our entire customer base.
> Customers who sign up for this particular credit card program must meet
> the following requirements:
>
> - Have an existing deposit account.
> - Have either a Social Security Number, SSN, or proof of United States
> government federal taxpayer status, such as a federal government
> Taxpayer ID Number, TIN. The USA PATRIOT Act customer ID requirements
> are fulfilled for all Bank of America customers.
>
> Given we have 5,700 banking centers throughout the country, this is a
> very small pilot that educates and helps existing Hispanic customers
> understand how to develop good credit history in 51 Los Angeles banking
> centers.
>
> Because you are an important customer to us, we would greatly appreciate
> the opportunity in keeping your account relationship with Bank of
> America.
>
> We are committed to keeping your customer information confidential,
> safe, and secure while you are using Online Banking. If you are
> concerned about the security and confidentiality of your account, please
> send us another message and we will be glad to assist you with any
> concerns.
>
> For any further assistance, please contact us at 1.800.4441.6437.
>
> We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We value you
> as a customer and appreciate your business. If we may be of further
> assistance, please contact us again by e-mail. Thank you for choosing
> Bank of America.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Shane Edwards
> Bank of America

OKIE-JET
02-15-2007, 07:32 AM
Actually it does seem kinda far-fetched for them to extend credit to some one whom they cant collect from....what did you have to do to get it? Seems like it would be a lose-lose situation for CC companies....they're in it to steal you blind not give up their money to non residents,,,JMO:idea:

Wet Dream
02-15-2007, 07:37 AM
Well, after following this for 2 days, you have to realize 2 things. Banks are in the business to make money. High interest rates and fees keep them alive. BofA is a major player in the banking industry that has gone from sound and secure, to possible buyout, back to being on top. They know what it takes to bank. They see an opportunity to profit and are willing to take an investment risk on this promo. Thats business. The other thing to look at in their response is the Patriot Act portion. By FEDERAL LAW, there isn't a bank in the country that will EVER open an account without proper identifcation. Are you kidding? BofA likes its business and isn't going to compromise its ability to generate profits by sidestepping the Patriot Act to get a few credit cards out there for a demographic that is generally barely above the poverty level of this country.

ParkerRat
02-15-2007, 07:48 AM
It seems to me it doesnt really matter anyway, It is pretty easy these days for anyone to get a stolen SS number. I wonder what type of research if any they do on the SS number the person presents. Either way, I am still happy to cancel the B of A account since I have never really liked them as a company anyway. :D

Wet Dream
02-15-2007, 07:56 AM
It seems to me it doesnt really matter anyway, It is pretty easy these days for anyone to get a stolen SS number. I wonder what type of research if any they do on the SS number the person presents. Either way, I am still happy to cancel the B of A account since I have never really liked them as a company anyway. :D
WTF? Doesn't really matter? You're an ass that didn't make a blip on their radar. You cried about the illegals getting cards and they give you a 100% logical response and now, you have no fire left in your fight. Ok, so you're pissed for what reason? They wouldn't extend your credit? What is it?

HocusPocus
02-15-2007, 08:19 AM
changing banks is pretty easy and if your one of their customers who are not happy with the way they do business.. then its time to close your accounts. Im sure if they have alot of their legal customers pulling out they may have to stop and rethink the whole idea.

Baja Big Dog
02-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Well that clears it up for me, and I hope you all come around .....BofA is only doing this to HELP OUT, man I had it all wrong, I thought they were making another attempt to make money, in desperate times.
They only want to help!!!!:eek:

andy01
02-15-2007, 08:41 AM
If I had a B of A account I would pull out, I don't. But I would move on. I think them trying to help out the border bandits is pure bullshit!

jbone
02-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Okay, so according to their own letter... whats new??
If this is as simple as they want it to appear, why the pilot program.
I think ALL banks will offer credit cards to anyone meeting the criteria they listed.
I think this is a bs way for them to save face.
The pilot program WAS directed at illegals...period. They may be altering that now to not lose customers.
J

Wet Dream
02-15-2007, 09:01 AM
Heres something for you guys to think about, if you're smart enough to think outside the box. If BofA is blatantly marketing this to illegals, you guys are getting mad at a company that is going to take advantage of an opportunity that our country is going to allow illegals to continue to infiltrate the nation. Any businessowner in here knows an advantage when he/she sees it. You are getting mad at a company, not the source of the problem. Does "wrong tree" and "barking" mean anything to you guys?

Wet Dream
02-15-2007, 09:25 AM
If you think thats trolling, you might be one of the guys that just don't get it.

Jesster
02-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Don’t let anybody talk around the issue. They are offering credit cards to illegal’s. If they are taking TIN's as a form of ID or whatever they are giving CC to illegal. Anybody can get one legal or not. Give them an address in the US and Mexico and a 2 forms of ID (no picture ID required voter reg card works) both can be from another country and they will give you a TIN. If you think that the government checks on the info your high, as long as there is tax dollars involved the government doesn’t care. It is true though that B of A sees it as an untapped market and is in it to make money but that doesn’t make it right. I personally hate big government, but there are some things that need legislation and if the government can't get them to desist then they should make it illegal.
I just called B of A and asked to apply for a CC they asked if I was a US citizen I said yes and then they asked for a SSN I said I didn’t want to give it to them. They said in order to complete the application I would have to, so I said I have a TIN but they wouldn't take it. I hung up.

Troy McClure
02-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Heres something for you guys to think about, if you're smart enough to think outside the box. If BofA is blatantly marketing this to illegals, you guys are getting mad at a company that is going to take advantage of an opportunity that our country is going to allow illegals to continue to infiltrate the nation. Any businessowner in here knows an advantage when he/she sees it. You are getting mad at a company, not the source of the problem. Does "wrong tree" and "barking" mean anything to you guys?
I'm a business owner and I don't see doing business with/supporting illegal immigrants an "advantage". Although you are right that I could make more money hiring illegals, I feel that I would be only contributing to the problem, so I don't do it. I can find, hire and train perfectly good, hardworking legal U.S citizens/green card holders. No need to say "It's not my problem” Illegal immigration is everyone's problem. Maybe it hasn't affected you so much living in PA, but it will.
On a related issue our Sheriff Carona had a debate with the top cop in Buena Park (forget his name). The debate was about the catching and deporting of illegals that enter our jail system. The Buena Park cop insists that this is a federal issue and not the job of local law enforcement. Carona's stance is that although the Fed's (ICE) do have the main responsibility, they are not doing anything about it. So he is taking and doing the job of the feds.
Again, this is everyone's problem.

speedneeder
02-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Slightly off topic. I hope that the same people complaining about illiegal aliens and corporate America actually know the facts. Personally I dont. I would be seriously concerned if anybody is lending to illiegals and plan on making an informed decision based on findings.
2nd, I hope that you are taking the same actions when it comes to your personal finances. As an example- Have you cancelled your gardener,cleaning person or other services if they are illiegal or have you bothered to check?
I see a lot of people looking for "contractors" then they clarify that they dont care if they are licensed but are looking for the best "deal". Looking for cheap labor I suppose but are the workers illiegal and do you even care? I'm certain that legal tradesmans are more expensive but are you willing to put your money where you mouth is? You defintely get a pat on the back in my book if you do but if you take pot shots at companies and dont walk the line yourself, hmmm. Food for thought.

Troy McClure
02-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Slightly off topic. I hope that the same people complaining about illiegal aliens and corporate America actually know the facts. Personally I dont. I would be seriously concerned if anybody is lending to illiegals and plan on making an informed decision based on findings.
2nd, I hope that you are taking the same actions when it comes to your personal finances. As an example- Have you cancelled your gardener,cleaning person or other services if they are illiegal or have you bothered to check?
I see a lot of people looking for "contractors" then they clarify that they dont care if they are licensed but are looking for the best "deal". Looking for cheap labor I suppose but are the workers illiegal and do you even care? I'm certain that legal tradesmans are more expensive but are you willing to put your money where you mouth is? You defintely get a pat on the back in my book if you do but if you take pot shots at companies and dont walk the line yourself, hmmm. Food for thought.
For the record I am a Commercial General Contractor. See my post above about hiring. I recently lost several jobs to a contractor who outbid me by over 20%, my customer showed me the other contractors numbers, I couldn't touch them. My customer requires that I'm licensed (of course) and carry a pretty hefty insurance policy, I'm assuming that the other contractor is legit as well. Don't know if his use of illegals (or illegal, unlicensed subs) allows him to underbid me by that much, but I would imagine that it contributes.
Either that or he just totally F'ed up his bid and will be sucking wind soon. (I'm hoping for this one):devil:

SummitKarl
02-15-2007, 11:10 AM
I just don't see how they could create a account without a SSN or TIN, they have to issue a 1098 at the end of the year to each account, either by SSN or TIN, and I don't know how you could get a TIN without a SSN.
I think this Myth is BUSTED:D

SHOTKALLIN
02-15-2007, 11:55 AM
B of A refused to come on the Bill O'Reiley show to explain why they are giving cards to illegals. That says alot to me.

Wet Dream
02-15-2007, 12:12 PM
B of A refused to come on the Bill O'Reiley show to explain why they are giving cards to illegals. That says alot to me.
That means squat. There are alot of businesses that are smart enough not to go onto that show. The list of refusals to be a guest is 100 times bigger than the acceptance list.

seanv
02-15-2007, 02:22 PM
wetdream, why are you so supportive of the invasion? until you live here and watch this scum use our emegency med svc as primary care then scip on the bills you cant understand our frustration. i have seen it first/second hand so dont try to argue that one!
and yes, after my legal gardner had his illegal boys start doing my yard he was canned. i now do it myself. i will not support the invasion. i love when they come to me for help and rattle off " se habla espanol?" i proud and loud say no!:devil: f- them and all who assist them.

Wet Dream
02-15-2007, 03:28 PM
wetdream, why are you so supportive of the invasion? until you live here and watch this scum use our emegency med svc as primary care then scip on the bills you cant understand our frustration. i have seen it first/second hand so dont try to argue that one!
and yes, after my legal gardner had his illegal boys start doing my yard he was canned. i now do it myself. i will not support the invasion. i love when they come to me for help and rattle off " se habla espanol?" i proud and loud say no!:devil: f- them and all who assist them.
Where the hell did you EVER read that I support the "invasion"? I NEVER ever wrote or implied that I support illegals being here. I'm playing devils advocate for the business aspect of it. Don't blame me for California allowing them to have drivers licenses, healthcare, and every citizens rights that is given to legal Americans. Don't blame me for the lack of Arizona and Californias' lack of enforcement in the subject, and surely don't blame me for lack of the residents of your states for not using your voice toward getting it changed.

seanv
02-15-2007, 03:57 PM
oh trust me, there are plenty of people in both states voicing their side of the issue. and your posts before led me to believe you were all for giving them ccards and making a buck off of them. i say sure make the offer. then have the teller and people in the lobby be u/c ice agents and throw them back. next step is have our nat.guard lock n load while on patrol and drop a few. i think the flow would stop pretty quick.
now before i get flamed.... no i didnt loose my job to an illegal. i just believe if you want to be here you go thru the proper steps and be a LEGAL citizen.

Jesster
02-15-2007, 06:08 PM
I just don't see how they could create a account without a SSN or TIN, they have to issue a 1098 at the end of the year to each account, either by SSN or TIN, and I don't know how you could get a TIN without a SSN.
I think this Myth is BUSTED:D
Here is the link to go get a TIN http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96696,00.html. Scroll down and check out the requirments, see how easy it is. This was set up by the Clinton administration in 96' for the increased revenue to the Fed government, all the loopholes included. MYTH not busted just not researched. :D

YeLLowBoaT
02-15-2007, 06:18 PM
For the record I am a Commercial General Contractor. See my post above about hiring. I recently lost several jobs to a contractor who outbid me by over 20%, my customer showed me the other contractors numbers, I couldn't touch them. My customer requires that I'm licensed (of course) and carry a pretty hefty insurance policy, I'm assuming that the other contractor is legit as well. Don't know if his use of illegals (or illegal, unlicensed subs) allows him to underbid me by that much, but I would imagine that it contributes.
Either that or he just totally F'ed up his bid and will be sucking wind soon. (I'm hoping for this one):devil:
He also could have lied about having INS/bonds or is not paying everything on his employees. If you were not paying your comp on your employess cutting cost by 20% would be no prob.

Baja Big Dog
02-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Hows the imagration situation in PA??? Borders hard to get across?

blown65
02-22-2007, 06:38 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070222/us_nm/bankofamerica_immigrants_dc
Still defending it. Personally sounds like alot of bad press for them now.

YeLLowBoaT
02-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Lou Dobbs called out the CEO of BofA on nat'l tv. (http://www.minutemanproject.com/media/ftc-video-070213-CNN-bankofamerica.wmv)