PDA

View Full Version : Havasu for Fireworks.....

UnionJack
02-15-2007, 10:36 AM
So who will be at the lake for the show.... This will be the first year where phatmatt doesn't do his birthday party at the redroom... because he sux :D

andy01
02-15-2007, 10:45 AM
When?

dicudmore
02-15-2007, 11:41 AM
When?
this weekend

my21advantage
02-15-2007, 12:19 PM
So who will be at the lake for the show.... This will be the first year where phatmatt doesn't do his birthday party at the redroom... because he sux :D
You taking the boat out Taylor?

UnionJack
02-15-2007, 12:27 PM
No it's at DCB, I hope to get it back in about a weeks or so. Javier and I are leaving tomorrow night and will be in his boat for alittle bit, and then of course the HavaTan pontoon will also be on the water.
The fireworks are Saturday night... at sarapark (sp)? It is the national fireworks convention, it's crazy usually a few hours of fireworks

Throttle
02-15-2007, 12:34 PM
I thought they had fireworks over several nights... anyone know what nite's? I am not gonna be rollin into town till Sunday...

UnionJack
02-15-2007, 12:35 PM
I have always seen them on Saturday

Throttle
02-15-2007, 12:37 PM
I recall seeing a link to the peeps runnin the gig and it said somethin about fri, sat, & sun... but it seems like everyone is only talkin bout saturday...:idea:
just have to wait and see I guess...

Phat Matt
02-15-2007, 12:38 PM
LOL.
Maybe next year. Just tell Simon at the Red Room to say Happy Birthday on the mic. :)

UnionJack
02-15-2007, 12:38 PM
You could always swap a shift... But it's probaly not worth it

Phat Matt
02-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Oh yeah, it's not me. RD sux. :)

Throttle
02-15-2007, 12:40 PM
LOL.
Maybe next year. Just tell Simon at the Red Room to say Happy Birthday on the mic. :)
I would tell him to say more than that...:D

raff
02-15-2007, 12:40 PM
I recall seeing a link to the peeps runnin the gig and it said somethin about fri, sat, & sun... but it seems like everyone is only talkin bout saturday...:idea:
I thought is was all weekend.
Heres the link http://www.westernpyro.org/winterblast.php

UnionJack
02-15-2007, 12:41 PM
X needs to hook HavaTan up with free lunch

Mrs.Killer
I thought they had fireworks over several nights... anyone know what nite's? I am not gonna be rollin into town till Sunday...
Last year, it was all weekend

Phat Matt
I would tell him to say more than that...:D
I bet. :)

UnionJack
02-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Well your a local, so you should know :D

Phat Matt
02-15-2007, 12:42 PM
X needs to hook HavaTan up with free lunch
Fax in your lunch blocks request.
:)

UnionJack
02-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Just make one up for me, you know with good music

phebus
02-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Fireworks are Thurs-Sun, but the big show for the public is on Saturday night.

Mrs.Killer
02-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Fireworks are already starting....

MACH26
02-15-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm in:D

RiverRatMike
02-15-2007, 08:55 PM
the show kicked ass tonight, that's all I have to say. simply one amazing show for a thurs night.

Throttle
02-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Fireworks are already starting....
at your house, again?
that is messed up, you know I am at work for a few days...:mad:

Throttle
02-15-2007, 10:04 PM
I thought is was all weekend.
Heres the link http://www.westernpyro.org/winterblast.php

Keith E. Sayre
02-16-2007, 09:05 AM
I went last night, it was fun. Then tonight there's a show
for about an hour and then Saturday and Sunday the show
is great. You have to go sit in the bleachers though to
really appreciate the noise and the concussion.
Keith Sayre

UnionJack
02-16-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm in:D
We just found out we are leaving earlier

RVRGIRL
02-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Thousands gather for Winter Blast
BY TONY RAAP
Saturday, February 17, 2007 10:47 PM MST
July Fourth, eat your heart out.
Several thousand people on Saturday converged at SARA Park for the 18th annual Winter Blast fireworks show. The crowds, which began filling in several hours before the show, took even the organizers by surprise.
“It's insane,” said Russ Laurie, president of the Western Pyrotechnic Association. “It's pretty crazy. It's packed.”
The city implemented several rules to cut down on traffic gridlock and congested parking that plagued last year's event. On Saturday, no RVs were allowed in the parking lot during the show. Motorists also could not park on the shoulder of State Route 95.
But even with the changes, parking still was far from perfect. By 5 p.m., SARA Park's parking lot was nearly full, forcing many motorists to park across the highway along the hillside. By 6 p.m., traffic was backed up to South McCulloch Boulevard.
“Even with all the extra traffic controls, it still needs some tweaking to get it right. We've got (WPA) members out there that can't get in,” Laurie said.
Don Smith arrived shortly after 5:30. Traffic was so ensnared he and his wife had to park a quarter mile away, he said.
“We thought we could get in, but they don't have enough parking space,” he said. “There's so many people that come now, so there's always going to be a shortage of parking.”
Several police officers stood at both of the park's entrances directing traffic. A dozen Community Emergency Response Team, or CERT, members helped with crowd control and security detail.
Spectators began setting up several hours before the show. By 4:30 p.m., the grandstand at Havasu 95 Speedway was nearly full, with crowds spilling out into the surrounding ball fields and parking lots. A sea of folding chairs was seemingly everywhere you looked.
Many adults stood in clusters and chatted while eating barbecue or drinking beer. Several children played hacky sack or threw Frisbees while waiting for the show to start. Two were seen playing hand-held video games in the trunk of a car with the top up.
The fireworks began shortly after 5 p.m. when a voice announced over a loudspeaker that a beige minivan was parked in the fire lane.
“They're not going to tow it. They're going to blow it up instead. Who wants to see the beige minivan blown to hell?” the announcer said.
Seconds later, there was a thunderous boom as laughter rippled through the crowd.
Richard and Julia Petersen watched the show in the parking lot just outside the grandstand. Both were celebrating their birthday.
“This is their birthday present,” their daughter, Monica Urban, said.
Despite some grumbling from other spectators, Urban said she liked the new parking rules.
“You get here early enough and it's fine,” she said. “It's a lot better that the RVs aren't allowed to take over everything. Last year, they all parked here and you couldn't see anything.”
Farther down, Ron Schuler stood next to his pickup truck as his granddaugher, Samantha Newman, sat on the tailgate. Schuler didn't seem to mind the new parking rules either.
Last year, he brought his toy box and shuttled across the highway in his golf cart. This year, he left the toy box at home and came a few hours earlier.
“It's all good,” he said. “We're close, we're here on the lot, everybody looks like they're having a good time.”
Saturday's show was Schuler's sixth Winter Blast. He said the “fireworks spectacular” keeps him coming back. Last year's display was “unbelievable. Without a doubt the best fireworks show I've ever been to,” he said.
Winter Blast wraps up tonight at SARA Park. The show will be dedicated to the soldiers who have died in the Iraq War. It will consist of 3,700 titanium salutes, one for each fallen U.S. soldier. The show begins at dusk.
You may contact the reporter at raap@havasunews.com.