PDA

View Full Version : Warning. Summer is coming and my wife is coming to a launch ramp near you.

beaverretriever
02-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Just thought I would let everyone know. GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY! My wife will be backing down the trailer again this yr.
When we dump the boat in the water, I do everything, but when we pull it out. I usually idle around why she goes and gets the truck. She has only backed up the trailer about 5-6 times, so she will get better.
Luckily for her she is cute, and most people don't mind that the truck looks like a slithering snake coming down the ramp LOL.
She doesn't want to try putting the boat on the trailer yet.
Just wanted to give you guys fair warning.

syke-o
02-16-2007, 09:48 AM
well if i saw a cute chick trying to back up and get sideways i would definitely go down and offer her a hand... i would even do it for an ugly chick, and even a dude if need be...

John.
02-16-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm lucky. my wife is excellent in backing the trailer. She sometimes gets frustrated with others at the launch ramp and threads the needle with backing the trailer into the water with only a foot or two room on each side. Other guys at the launch ramp comment on her abilites almost every time we go to the lake.

Jyruiz
02-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the warning, and lets hope both our wifes are not at the ramp at the same time.:D

AZKC
02-16-2007, 09:52 AM
I've tried for 25+ years to get the wife to do the launch retrieve thing and she just jumps in the boat starts the motor and says "I'll meet you at the dock" :)

beaverretriever
02-16-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm lucky. my wife is excellent in backing the trailer. She sometimes gets frustrated with others at the launch ramp and threads the needle with backing the trailer into the water with only a foot or two room on each side. Other guys at the launch ramp comment on her abilites almost every time we go to the lake.
People are generally nice to my wife. She gets scared and I always hear people say "You are doing fine honey" and stuff like that.
She will get better, it just takes time. I'm going to take the truck and boat over to our shop parking lot and let her do some training. LOL :)

Cole Trickle
02-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the warning, and lets hope both our wifes are not at the ramp at the same time.:D
Sychranized snake backer uppers?:D

beaverretriever
02-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Well, I have a hint for everyone.
Instead of putting your bumpers/fenders on your boat, just put them on your vehicle and there will be no worries!!! :D :D

Run_em_Hard
02-16-2007, 09:58 AM
There is only one way to learn...

CBadDad
02-16-2007, 10:02 AM
My GF wants to practice this year before the season starts. We're gonna hit some parking lots with trailer attached and let her back into open spaces.

AirtimeLavey
02-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Well, I have a hint for everyone.
Instead of putting your bumpers/fenders on your boat, just put them on your vehicle and there will be no worries!!! :D :D
Lol....so where do you usually launch, and what time of day? Congrats on getting her to a least try and go there. Mine will drive out, but not back down, yet. Tried it once, for a few minutes then she got so frustrated, I went up and brought down the rest of the way. Fortunately, it was at a slow ramp (Jack Smith in Needles).

Jyruiz
02-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Sychranized snake backer uppers?:D
No kidding, but my wife is getting better, she is actually starting to drive the boat to so it is getting easier every year.:)

Windy
02-16-2007, 10:11 AM
I have no problems backing down the trailer. Just takes practice...she will be fine. ;)

AltarGirl
02-16-2007, 10:17 AM
We have this down pretty good, but at 1st, it was a challenge to say the least.
The way it usually works now is either he back it down & I take the boat off the trailer & float around while he parks it. Sometimes he backs it down & then he gets the boat off the trailer & I park the truck.
Getting it out of the water is always the same: He backs it down & I put the boat on the trailer. Seems to work so far :D

HocusPocus
02-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Im also lucky since my wife can do anything at the ramp we need, from putting the boat in or out of the water. it really is a learned skill and just takes a little time. no worries :D

Daytona100
02-16-2007, 10:22 AM
I would get some cheap two way radios for communication and support and to whisper sweet nothings while she stresses out. My wife learned pretty quick. Just tell her patience and relax.

catman-do
02-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Sounds kind of like mine too! Are we with the same girl? Mine wants to go to the homedepot parking lot and practice backing it up before she goes out again. The last year wasnt bad, she was ok as long as the ramps werent crowded and then she would freak out. So we usually wait till its dark to retrieve and everyone else is off the water.

RitcheyRch
02-16-2007, 10:25 AM
We are going to do the same thing. Dont try it at Walmart though since they dont like people using their parking lots for this.
My GF wants to practice this year before the season starts. We're gonna hit some parking lots with trailer attached and let her back into open spaces.
Exactly what we have been doing.
We have this down pretty good, but at 1st, it was a challenge to say the least.
The way it usually works now is either he back it down & I take the boat off the trailer & float around while he parks it. Sometimes he backs it down & then he gets the boat off the trailer & I park the truck.
Getting it out of the water is always the same: He backs it down & I put the boat on the trailer. Seems to work so far :D

John.
02-16-2007, 10:26 AM
People are generally nice to my wife. She gets scared and I always hear people say "You are doing fine honey" and stuff like that.
She will get better, it just takes time. I'm going to take the truck and boat over to our shop parking lot and let her do some training. LOL :)
we practiced at the launch ramp in the winter time. My wife hates listening to me...so a friends wife coached her through the practice and now she is awesome at it.

RiverToysJas
02-16-2007, 10:27 AM
When we got the Lavey I told my wife she had to either drive the boat, or the truck. I wasn't doing both anymore. She chose the boat, and has learned it well. .....One day I asked, "why did you chose to learn to trailer the boat, rather than back the truck?" She says....."I didn't want to walk through the hot parking lot!" http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif The moral of the story is, they are smarter than us....never give them a choice! ;)
RTJas :D

sigepmock
02-16-2007, 10:28 AM
I am one of the lucky ones too. My wife can drive anything and is as good as me at backing the trailer down the ramp. One thing that she likes to do is drop the tailgate on the truck after she pulls forward ahead of the ramp...right before she backs down...she says it helps her see the trailer when it goes over the edge onto the tilted ramp and the truck is still on the flat ground.
She does a great job:)

Kilrtoy
02-16-2007, 10:30 AM
What you need to do is hook that boat up tonight and go to a big parking lot and have her drive it around for hours backing, parking all the good stuff, CORNERS.
and then repreat every weekend for the next two months...
She will show up like a champ...
Practice makes perfect.
OR better yet, have Mrs killer teach her how its done...
SO when you coming down for your first lessons

AltarGirl
02-16-2007, 10:31 AM
My wife hates listening to me....
:D :D :D :D

Hava Stoker
02-16-2007, 10:34 AM
I'm in the same boat with my wife, and it's pretty much my fault why she is not picking it up very quickly. I get impatient and start yelling at her when she makes a wrong move. That pisses her off, and she does even worse because she can hear me yelling at her all the way from the boat. I need the patience, not her. Maybe someone else should try & teach her.

catman-do
02-16-2007, 10:42 AM
She says....."I didn't want to walk through the hot parking lot!" http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif The moral of the story is, they are smarter than us....never give them a choice! ;)
RTJas :D
Youve got that right! Mine told me that she didnt want to learn how to drive the 5th wheel because then I would make her drive home sometimes and she likes to sleep in the back.

40FlatDeck
02-16-2007, 10:45 AM
I told my girlfriend 2007 is the year. :D She is great driver and has good sense behind the wheel so she should have no problem. The boat is kind of tough so she would rather back up the trailer. We will be hitting a parking lot soon.:)

KineticoH20
02-16-2007, 10:46 AM
I am one of the lucky ones too. My wife can drive anything and is as good as me at backing the trailer down the ramp. One thing that she likes to do is drop the tailgate on the truck after she pulls forward ahead of the ramp...right before she backs down...she says it helps her see the trailer when it goes over the edge onto the tilted ramp and the truck is still on the flat ground.
She does a great job:)
Damn Chris, can I ship my wife down to the two of you for boot camp? doesn't want to learn anything, gets way too frustrated, I barely got her to pull the truck out but then stress's out parking. Makes the beginning and end of the day stressfull.

Throttle
02-16-2007, 10:48 AM
mmmm, I will probably just keep doing everything myself... as usual...

voodoomedman
02-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Be patient in explaining it and let them or help them figure out their own way and not your way. When we bought the boat my wife knew she would back the trailer and doesn't want to drive the boat. I've taught her how for emergencies but she likes to just let me drive. Anyways, the first time I explained to her and then had her watch me as I explained as I backed the boat into the water. She says "okay so if I see the trailer in the side mirrors I should turn the wheel toward that mirror to straighten it out". I said if that's what works for you then go for it. At the end of the day when I dropped her off to get the truck she put it right back down the ramp like nobody's business. Still does. She tells dudes what to do on the ramp and has backed from one lane into another when the dufus's take 20 minutes to get out of the water.

beaverretriever
02-16-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm in the same boat with my wife, and it's pretty much my fault why she is not picking it up very quickly. I get impatient and start yelling at her when she makes a wrong move. That pisses her off, and she does even worse because she can hear me yelling at her all the way from the boat. I need the patience, not her. Maybe someone else should try & teach her.
I can picture it now. You sitting in the boat idleing around yelling "Bitch, get that thing straight or else I'm going to show you my pimp hand!!!!"..
Thats what I do... JK:D :devil:

Debbolas
02-16-2007, 11:02 AM
The size of your boat matters!:D
Our little 19ft SeaRay, I could launch, drive, gas up,dock, and put back on the trailer, no problem.
I remember driving down Park Moabi at night,(no moon) down that black shallow channel and plowing up some reeds with my prop, so bad I had to put it in reverse and back the reeds off of the prop. My neighbor ran her boat aground, while the guys were out finding the campsite. Then we got to drive up river until we saw their truck lights....THAT was fun:D
Our 26ft I can drive on the lake, don't like to dock it because it just seems so dam big! I do the trailer and after MUCH tears and practice, I'm pretty good
at it now.
Have her practice on a ramp, because when you go down the hill you lose sight of your trailer. Put the truck back door down, until she gets use to it, but the best way I've found is to pull up far enough to get straight and watch your side mirrors as you go down.
Give her a frame of reference, how far down to back it. I go until the wheel fenders are just covered with water....get out, unhook the hook, wind it up, get back in, Matt gets in, starts the boat and give me the sign to back down. Our boat sits really high on our trailer so I have to slam on the brakes to get him off the trailer. To pick up I back down, unwind the hook and wait for the boat, hook up and take off :D
Avoid Holiday weekends when idiots boat and launch :jawdrop:
Be kind and supportive and she will get it! I think it took me about a year, it's been two years and I'm a pro now:D (but I still get butterflies in my tummy):D

Devil's Advocate
02-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Just thought I would let everyone know. GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY! My wife will be backing down the trailer again this yr.
When we dump the boat in the water, I do everything, but when we pull it out. I usually idle around why she goes and gets the truck. She has only backed up the trailer about 5-6 times, so she will get better.
Luckily for her she is cute, and most people don't mind that the truck looks like a slithering snake coming down the ramp LOL.
Yeah she's cute so no one's gonna be cursing her too much at the ramp.:D
I'm the opposite. I'm boat biatch and have never wanted to attempt the truck and trailer. So I just sucked it up and said to myself, "yeah, sure I can get this 30 footer on and off the trailer."http://www.***boat.com/ubb/eek.gif:D I'd say I've done it perfect about 98% of the time..;) No Name will tell you the other time it was probably his fault.:D
Now I have no boat to take off the trailer though..:( :(

Jetaholic
02-16-2007, 11:55 AM
For anyone interested in teaching their wives how to back a trailer...print this out for them to read.
Backing a trailer is easier than it looks. Just don't overthink it and you will be fine.
One thing to remember...when the wheels of the vehicle are turned, you are turning the vehicle only!!! The trailer will not turn (well, it will a small amount but not enough to make a difference) until you straighten the vehicle back out.
To back it up straight, keep the vehicle straight. If the trailer wants to wander to the left, turn the vehicle to the left to straighten it back out. Same for the right. Basically, follow the trailer with the wheel to keep the rig straight. Trailer goes left, you go left. Trailer goes right, you go right.
To turn the trailer while backing, first turn the wheel in the opposite direction you want the trailer to turn. This will "bend" the rig at the hitch. You want the trailer to go right, you turn the vehicle to the left. Vice versa for making the trailer go to the left.
You then straighten the wheels to "push" the trailer tongue over to turn it.
To straighten the vehicle back out, turn the wheels in the same direction of the trailer. If the trailer is turned to the right, turn the wheels to the right, and vice versa.
Anytime you want to straighten back out, always turn the wheel in the direction that the trailer is turned in. Remember drivers ed where they tell you to turn in the direction of the skid in the event of a skid to straighten back out? It's the same concept.

Caribbean Jet
02-16-2007, 12:27 PM
My chick rules at backing the trailer in, I would say that she helps somebody else half of the time we launch the boat. Her father taught her and her sister when they were very young and now they'er superstars.

UnionJack
02-16-2007, 12:43 PM
my wife is so good at it, that when my dad's with us she will not let him do it, she passes him the kid

beaverretriever
02-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Yeah she's cute so no one's gonna be cursing her too much at the ramp.:D
I'm the opposite. I'm boat biatch and have never wanted to attempt the truck and trailer. So I just sucked it up and said to myself, "yeah, sure I can get this 30 footer on and off the trailer."http://www.***boat.com/ubb/eek.gif:D I'd say I've done it perfect about 98% of the time..;) No Name will tell you the other time it was probably his fault.:D
Now I have no boat to take off the trailer though..:( :(
You guys can han with us anytime. I'm sure with you and my wife on the boat, everyone and their brother would want to hang out with us as well...LOL:D

Hotcobra270
02-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Can you please post a picture of what your truck and trailer looks like so I can be on the lookout thanks..
Just kidding
My wife isnt much better

Beer-30
02-16-2007, 01:05 PM
As you are teaching her, get her to use the mirrors. Show her how she can see at LEAST the driver's side and can use it to see the distance between your trailer and the one beside you.
The other thing is small corrections. After she does it a few times, she will get the hang of it.
My wife nails either one with ease. I brag on her all the time, as she can thread through a busy ramp with a 35' trailer and Dually (56 feet all together!) without a second adjustment. First time, every time - SO FAR. Boat is same way. She hasn't had to re-adjust on an approach in probably the last 10 outings in a row.
Good for you for teaching / Good for her for wanting to learn!

yopengo
02-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Well for a free from bitchen launch ramp pass we will need an updated picture. Preferably in a string bikini so we can have it in our bedrooms…trucks…I mean boats… so we know when to be nice.:D :eek: :)

mrs.rvrluvr
02-16-2007, 01:25 PM
took me a while but after 7 boats in 15 years I have gotten pretty damn good. We are to the point where hubby sees me back in and he is right there. Takes us about 1 min to get it on the trailer and out of the water.

OutCole'd
02-16-2007, 01:26 PM
My wife is better than me, and if you saw me drive, you would believe it.

rampgirl-top
02-16-2007, 02:25 PM
we practiced at the launch ramp in the winter time. My wife hates listening to me...so a friends wife coached her through the practice and now she is awesome at it.
I have taught a couple girlfriends how to back trailers, they say its much less stressfull. The hard part is finding the guy that will let us girls take the boat out!!! (practice you know).

ratso
02-16-2007, 02:29 PM
I have taught a couple girlfriends how to back trailers, they say its much less stressfull. The hard part is finding the guy that will let us girls take the boat out!!! (practice you know).
I keep a 69 Glastron Tri-Hull around for the girls to take out... can't do much damage to that lol...:D

charitycase
02-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Ditto.Mine is excellent at it also.

voodoomedman
02-16-2007, 02:45 PM
I keep a 69 Glastron Tri-Hull around for the girls to take out... can't do much damage to that lol...:D
Look at Ratso managing to get 69 and three way action into a conversation with a girlie. :D

3 daytona`s
02-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Hey Bev,although appreciate your humor,there is nothing more irritating at the end of the day than waiting for anyone Man or Woman "ATTEMPT" backing a trailer down a ramp.A 4 vehicle ramp taken up by two trailers,nothing against your wife most of the guys boating could not back a trailer down 1st try.There is all the talk of boat license,maybe a trailer backing certification would be great.Lake Mohave is sickening on a busy weekend waiting for inconsiderate boaters to have not unloaded before launching and the circus of loading up.Nothing personal but boaters in general.You talk about America`s funniest videos sit at a boat ramp on a busy day,it depends funny or disgusting:idea:

Havasu1986
02-16-2007, 04:48 PM
I would get some cheap two way radios for communication and support and to whisper sweet nothings while she stresses out. My wife learned pretty quick. Just tell her patience and relax.
This is what we do. But usually I'm the one stressing out.:)

beaverretriever
02-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Hey Bev,although appreciate your humor,there is nothing more irritating at the end of the day than waiting for anyone Man or Woman "ATTEMPT" backing a trailer down a ramp.A 4 vehicle ramp taken up by two trailers,nothing against your wife most of the guys boating could not back a trailer down 1st try.There is all the talk of boat license,maybe a trailer backing certification would be great.Lake Mohave is sickening on a busy weekend waiting for inconsiderate boaters to have not unloaded before launching and the circus of loading up.Nothing personal but boaters in general.You talk about America`s funniest videos sit at a boat ramp on a busy day,it depends funny or disgusting:idea:
She never takes up anymore room, it just takes her an extra try or two.
Plus if anyone did say something negative I would beat their ass. :D

OCMerrill
02-16-2007, 05:14 PM
We usually have the boat behind our motorhome. I do not have backup cameras either so I back the trailer 100% of the time. Wife handles the boat. So far over the past 13 years with her this is how its gone.
The ramp is full of dickheads...so we are in the water in under 3 min. Then again our boat is super easy to launch.
She drives the boat on the trailer perfectly. So I guess we have what works down.

dumbandyoung
02-16-2007, 05:14 PM
my girlfriend is only 14. So i dont have to worry about her driving yet..hahahha
JUST KIDDING!

3 daytona`s
02-16-2007, 05:19 PM
She never takes up anymore room, it just takes her an extra try or two.
Plus if anyone did say something negative I would beat their ass. :D
Hey Bev,don`t ever,ever forget the old phrase ther is always some one bigger,faster,tougher and much meaner than you.You may be right,problem may be "DEAD" right:idea:

beaverretriever
02-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Hey Bev,don`t ever,ever forget the old phrase ther is always some one bigger,faster,tougher and much meaner than you.You may be right,problem may be "DEAD" right:idea:
LOL, I will take that chance. :)
I'm very laid back and definitely no tough guy. It takes a TON to get me pissed off. If anyone has somthing to say to my wife when they can see she is giving it her best, they should be put in their place. I'm not a fighter but people need to give a little respect when they can see someone trying.
Most people are respectful. Since I have been with my wife I have never gone to blows with anyone over her and hopefully it will always be that way.
Anyways, if you noticed, I had a big smilie. You know I'm not too serious.
Nobody would say anything anyways. My wife is too cool and nice for anyone to give her a hard time.

acatitude
02-16-2007, 06:23 PM
how many times did she back it in last year??? 2? 3? every time?? oh your counting backing it into SOS service area, lol
now if you could drive your sled 1/2 as good as your wife backs up:D :D

billet racing 1
02-16-2007, 07:28 PM
My wife is real cool about this. She gets to the front of the line, gets out of the truck, tells the person behind her, "You can be here all day, or you can back it in for me" Works everytime.
Jerry

acatitude
02-16-2007, 07:57 PM
My wife is real cool about this. She gets to the front of the line, gets out of the truck, tells the person behind her, "You can be here all day, or you can back it in for me" Works everytime.
Jerry
Have to remember that one Jerry... lol

Jrocket
02-16-2007, 08:13 PM
My wife hates the boat,river and everything that goes along with it...lucky for me my girlfriend is just the opposite.

OCMerrill
02-16-2007, 08:45 PM
For anyone interested in teaching their wives how to back a trailer...print this out for them to read.
Backing a trailer is easier than it looks. Just don't overthink it and you will be fine.
To back it up straight, keep the vehicle straight. If the trailer wants to wander to the left, turn the vehicle to the left to straighten it back out. Same for the right. Basically, follow the trailer with the wheel to keep the rig straight. Trailer goes left, you go left. Trailer goes right, you go right.
To turn the trailer while backing, first turn the wheel in the opposite direction you want the trailer to turn. This will "bend" the rig at the hitch. You want the trailer to go right, you turn the vehicle to the left. Vice versa for making the trailer go to the left.
You then straighten the wheels to "push" the trailer tongue over to turn it.
To straighten the vehicle back out, turn the wheels in the same direction of the trailer. If the trailer is turned to the right, turn the wheels to the right, and vice versa.
Anytime you want to straighten back out, always turn the wheel in the direction that the trailer is turned in. Remember drivers ed where they tell you to turn in the direction of the skid in the event of a skid to straighten back out? It's the same concept.
Seems simple and I understand it fine...
This is NOT written nearly complicated enough for my wife to understand. ;)
She understands that a boat steers from the rear like a forklift but the backing thing....She blows a brain.
If I showed her this she would say: "OK that will work but what do I do if I look into the mirror? Do I do everything the opposite way?":eek:
I will just keep her in the boat.

beaverretriever
02-16-2007, 09:02 PM
My wife hates the boat,river and everything that goes along with it...lucky for me my girlfriend is just the opposite.
LOL...
I knew that was coming. :D

Screemy1
02-17-2007, 11:48 AM
that is what everyone should do.... As for me, I thought practice in a empty parking lot is common sense..... Why ruin everybody elses time because of someones inability to drive with a trailer..... make them practice..... there is NO reason for taking up an entire ramp because they have no ability to back a trailer...... I understand the first few time jitters a person might have..... but if they practice, they should do fine.... just a little slower then some.... but a steady slow proper launch....... ok, done with my rant

Mrs 2LKHVSU
02-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Put me on the list of gals that CAN back up the trailer like a Mama Jama! It's all about practice, patience and skill. If you've got 2/3 you'll be just fine!

GHT
02-18-2007, 08:49 AM
LOL...
I knew that was coming. :D
B-retriever, could you please post a picture of your Vehicle? I would like to know what it looks like so we can give you the right-of-way when we see you wife behind the wheel.?:D Or you could send of a schedule with times and dates. :D

Dan Lorenze
02-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Great topic.... My wife backed the trailer in for the first time yesterday. I've been wanting her to do it for a couple of years and she finally did it. I saw her start to jackknife the trailer once then she had to start over again, by the second attempt she got the hang of it and dropped it right in... One thing I told her is to put the truck in neutral while backing down the ramp, something I've done for years. Neutral makes backing in easier because you don't have to fight the engine as much if it were in reverse.. I only time I would get nervous is when it's crouded and she had to deal with more people. I really need to get her comfortable with it this summer....
Dan

v-drive
02-18-2007, 09:59 AM
My wife backs the trailer up better than I can. Our first vacation was Lake Powell and she backed the boat down the long narrow ramp at wahweepin 1983.Blew me away and shes been backing boats up ever since. v-drive:D

HMF'er
02-18-2007, 02:24 PM
This is the year my wife's going to learn, I'm sick of doing it all myself!!!
I've said that before.
Years ago.

phebus
02-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Great topic.... My wife backed the trailer in for the first time yesterday. I've been wanting her to do it for a couple of years and she finally did it. I saw her start to jackknife the trailer once then she had to start over again, by the second attempt she got the hang of it and dropped it right in... One thing I told her is to put the truck in neutral while backing down the ramp, something I've done for years. Neutral makes backing in easier because you don't have to fight the engine as much if it were in reverse.. I only time I would get nervous is when it's crouded and she had to deal with more people. I really need to get her comfortable with it this summer....
Dan
As long as she remembers to put it in park, or keep her foot on the brake when she's done going backward. :D

Zaairman
02-18-2007, 06:43 PM
I back the boat into the water, take the boat off the trailer, and they pull the truck out of the water. When it comes time to put the boat back on the trailer, I back the truck into the water, and if there is somebody who knows what they are doing was out boating with me, then they will bring the boat to the trailer. If not, I've gotta run back over to the dock, and bring the boat over. I've gotten pretty good at doing it all by myself. If I actually have a g/f this summer, then I'm going to teach her how to back it up. Actually, I need to teach my friend Kim how to do it, she's almost always with me when we're out on the boat.