PDA

View Full Version : Going Postal

Rexone
01-30-2006, 11:31 PM
again. :confused:
Just heard on news Postal worker in Goleta killed 3.
What the hell is it with the Post Office that causes this?
thoughts?

Throttle
01-30-2006, 11:35 PM
barking dogs? :idea:

haulina29
01-30-2006, 11:35 PM
Junk Mail . Rex One you get my pms ?

BigBlockBaja
01-30-2006, 11:38 PM
Were the hell is Goleta?????

ROZ
01-30-2006, 11:39 PM
thoughts?
Believe it or not, the post office is a bunch of slavedriving pricks :)

Rexone
01-30-2006, 11:41 PM
Junk Mail . Rex One you get my pms ?
yes I'm checking...

Rexone
01-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Its right near Isla Vista. :)

Outnumbered
01-31-2006, 12:33 AM
Central coast near Solvang, Santa Barbara, Lompoc area.

Rexone
01-31-2006, 12:42 AM
Is it true most postal workers are former big rig owner operators?

JetBoatRich
01-31-2006, 04:59 AM
Never a good thing :yuk:
I have a neighbor who was a mrine, now delivers mail :rolleyes:

lucky
01-31-2006, 06:37 AM
Is it true most postal workers are former big rig owner operators?
Well that may be a geneal consensous - I would put a dollar down on formum moderators .... :crossx:

NOTALENT
01-31-2006, 07:26 AM
I was thinking the same thing...what make's one who work's @ the post office go postal??? Long hour's, hard work, not enough pay?? wtf???

MagicMtnDan
01-31-2006, 07:29 AM
6 postal workers were shot and killed by a female postal worker who shot and killed herself (7 dead total).

Moneypitt
01-31-2006, 07:53 AM
I have known some postal employees over the years and one of the possible reasons stuff like this happens is the "back stabbing", "screw you" attitudes of a very tight system of promotions based largely on things other than "job performance". The best and brightest are often passed by for promotions because of "cliques" and politics. Some postal employees feel as though they are part of an un recognized branch of "service to the country", simular to the Armed services, but without the recognition. Also, because of the hiring practices, (family, friends) alot of employees are closely related, so alot of "off the job" issues are decided at work. .............MP

Hardly Satisfied
01-31-2006, 09:40 AM
Very Crazy

a catered life
01-31-2006, 09:42 AM
I have known some postal employees over the years and one of the possible reasons stuff like this happens is the "back stabbing", "screw you" attitudes of a very tight system of promotions based largely on things other than "job performance". The best and brightest are often passed by for promotions because of "cliques" and politics. Some postal employees feel as though they are part of an un recognized branch of "service to the country", simular to the Armed services, but without the recognition. Also, because of the hiring practices, (family, friends) alot of employees are closely related, so alot of "off the job" issues are decided at work. .............MP
sound like most government jobs :p

h2oski2fast
01-31-2006, 09:48 AM
thoughts?
Monotony.

Froggystyle
01-31-2006, 11:18 AM
Unfortunately for them, they work at the post office delivering mail and are not out risking their lives killing terrorists. It is an unrecognized branch because they deliver mail. Sorry folks... not quite as sexy as jumping out of a plane with a knife clenched in your teeth.
If any of you are postal workers, I will say this. I would be more afraid of a postal worker of someone in the Air force... Does that help? :D
I think she snapped because of the rate hike.

Jbb
01-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately for them, they work at the post office delivering mail and are not out risking their lives killing terrorists. It is an unrecognized branch because they deliver mail. Sorry folks... not quite as sexy as jumping out of a plane with a knife clenched in your teeth.
If any of you are postal workers, I will say this. I would be more afraid of a postal worker of someone in the Air force... Does that help? :D
I think she snapped because of the rate hike.
The rate hike.....and a low Thorazine level...is what caused Brown to snap... :220v:

Sleek-Jet
01-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Sounds like ***boat with a paycheck... and guns...

maxwedge
01-31-2006, 12:15 PM
I'm guessing somebody at the post office poisoned her dogs. :D

Kilrtoy
01-31-2006, 12:19 PM
So they have the same problems every other company has

Flashover
01-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Souds alot like one of our local Fire Depts here......

Rexone
01-31-2006, 12:25 PM
Well that may be a geneal consensous - I would put a dollar down on formum moderators .... :crossx:
I agree, those formum moderators are a little sketchy.

78Eliminator
01-31-2006, 12:26 PM
Sounds like you grew up in suburbia. I would rather jump out of an airplane with 50 lbs of ammunition, grenades, knives etc. than deliver mail in some of the neighbornoods here in California armed only with pepper spray.
ps killing anyone is not sexy

Her454
01-31-2006, 12:27 PM
I agree, those formum moderators are a little sketchy.
One would think ***boat would put more care into choosing Mods wouldn't you? :rollside:

lucky
01-31-2006, 12:30 PM
with the price hike they inncorperated lsd on the stamps ?? ( ps my mom is a mail carrier - rural )

Her454
01-31-2006, 12:32 PM
with the price hike they inncorperated lsd on the stamps ?? ( ps my mom is a mail carrier - rural )
I hope she is not the one that taught you how to spell. :rollside:

Jbb
01-31-2006, 12:32 PM
Bang! :p..T fires one across the bow....lol

Her454
01-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Bang! :p..T fires one across the bow....lol
I've been holding back lately and its killing me. Conditions of my re-hab you know.... ;)

Jbb
01-31-2006, 12:38 PM
I've been holding back lately and its killing me. Conditions of my re-hab you know.... ;)
Put on you're best camo flannel ....and fire away...It's quite therapudic.... :p

Her454
01-31-2006, 12:40 PM
Put on you're best camo flannel ....and fire away...It's quite therapudic.... :p
I'm getting enough therapy correcting spelling.
Therapeutic LOL

78Eliminator
01-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Therapeutic LOL
At least he didn't spell it "therapubic"

YeLLowBoaT
01-31-2006, 12:42 PM
When I use to work at a gun store... Every month we had a postal carrier come in and buy 100 rounds of match grade 30-06... running joke was it was "supervisor ammo" something he started.
:crossx:

lucky
01-31-2006, 12:45 PM
as a matter of focked ... U - :crossx: spelling is only an attempt to communicate -- If men could spell - women wouldn't need Marriage counselor's - Hi Traci , Missed ya

Jbb
01-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Therapeutic LOL
just testing you...

Rexone
01-31-2006, 12:51 PM
One would think ***boat would put more care into choosing Mods wouldn't you? :rollside:
hmmm let me review my original formum moderator list here.... :)

Her454
01-31-2006, 12:55 PM
hmmm let me review my original formum moderator list here.... :)
LOL, show me the original formum list when you find it....

Jbb
01-31-2006, 12:55 PM
She is on Fire!..... :p

lucky
01-31-2006, 12:56 PM
\
hell with that , mike post the typo's

Her454
01-31-2006, 01:00 PM
\
hell with that , mike post the typo's
ROTFLMAO.....Yea Mike, post the typo's! Hehehhehe Hi Lucky..... :rollside:

Havasu Doug
01-31-2006, 01:17 PM
thoughts?
Sorry to hear about this. Around a month ago, I was dropping off mail at my local post office and saw a sign about a blood drive. I had some time, so I went to the normally off limits area in the back. I had to sit in a hallway and wait for awhile. I kept thinking about how depressing that place was with only various shades of grey paint. A half hour there was too much for me.

Her454
01-31-2006, 01:21 PM
Sorry to hear about this. Around a month ago, I was dropping off mail at my local post office and saw a sign about a blood drive. I had some time, so I went to the normally off limits area in the back. I had to sit in a hallway and wait for awhile. I kept thinking about how depressing that place was with only various shades of grey paint. A half hour there was too much for me.
Now that I think about it, when I visit our local post offices (and they are rather small compared to most) the attitude of the employees is almost hostile. Rarely do you see a smile, laugh or conversation in general. Its all business and void of emotion. Kind of odd actually.

Seadog
01-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Most of these government offices are run by little tyrants that would not make it in the real world as a supervisor. They get there by kissing tail, back-stabbing and the wonderful world of promotions by time in service. My wife worked for the feds. Some of her supervisors were great. One tried to grope her until he got knocked on his ear. Rumor had several promotions happening by horizontal intervues 'under' him. Since my wife was anti-union, she was shunned by everyone else, including so-called friends, and not given access to critical information. Some postal offices are friendly and great service, but when you have an organization that size, with little direct oversight from personnel support and no real training/oversight for supervisors on personnel issues, this is going to happen occasionally
We had a term for it in the military. It was called frag problem solving.

Froggystyle
01-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Sounds like you grew up in suburbia. I would rather jump out of an airplane with 50 lbs of ammunition, grenades, knives etc. than deliver mail in some of the neighbornoods here in California armed only with pepper spray.
ps killing anyone is not sexy
Talking like someone who has neither jumped out of an airplane, carried 50 pounds of ammunition, grenades, knives etc... or carried mail in any neighborhood.
Killing people is absolutely perceived as sexy. Whole industries have been built on exactly how sexy it is in fact. Nobody really wants it to be sexy, any more than someones house catching fire is particularly sexy... but you don't see a whole lot women dreaming of the mailman, but countless fantasies have been built around firefighters and soldiers.
And, for the record, no woman ever has erotic dreams featuring network engineers or programmers either.. ;)

Tom Brown
01-31-2006, 02:01 PM
The rate hike.....and a low Thorazine level...is what caused Brown to snap... :220v:
That... along with Maxwedge and Jbb trying to get my goat on the ***boat forums. :mad:

Tom Brown
01-31-2006, 02:02 PM
And, for the record, no woman ever has erotic dreams featuring network engineers or programmers either.. ;)
You suck.

h2oski2fast
01-31-2006, 02:02 PM
I think riverbound is going postal, now he is deleting all the threads he started.

Froggystyle
01-31-2006, 02:03 PM
You suck.
Hehe...
But you are Canadian, and own an automatic weapon. Those are force multipliers for the programmer thing...

Her454
01-31-2006, 02:04 PM
. but you don't see a whole lot women dreaming of the mailman, but countless fantasies have been built around firefighters and soldiers.
..... sexual stereotyping at its best.... :rollside: :D

Froggystyle
01-31-2006, 02:08 PM
..... sexual stereotyping at its best.... :rollside: :D
Exactly... but that is what I am talking about. Sexual stereotypes. Woudn't you agree that if something is "stereotypically sexy" that it could be described as "sexy"?
My only point is, if postal workers feel left out of the whole glory of serving your country thing... they may want to serve it more than Penny Saver discount books...

Her454
01-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Exactly... but that is what I am talking about. Sexual stereotypes. Woudn't you agree that if something is "stereotypically sexy" that it could be described as "sexy"?
My only point is, if postal workers feel left out of the whole glory of serving your country thing... they may want to serve it more than Penny Saver discount books...
I understand your point but I would have to disagree somewhat as I used to have a verrrrrrrrrrrrry sexy mailman...................... :rollside: ;)
BTW, I heard Jack Bauer used to be a mailman.....................:)

Rexone
01-31-2006, 02:12 PM
formum moderator list
HER454 (who enjoys jetboating immensely)
Froggysmile (get that knife outta your teeth before you poke your eye out)
Riverdave (sux)
Infomaniax (da engine guru)
Hammerdamn (ode de ass hair)
Nitro5557 (the mystry mod)
Havasuharassin (walmart greeter)
Rexone you're a dumass (or so I've heard)

Her454
01-31-2006, 02:15 PM
formum moderator list
HER454 (who enjoys jetboating immensely)
Froggysmile (get that knife outta your teeth before you poke your eye out)
Riverdave (sux)
Infomaniax (da engine guru)
Hammerdamn (ode de ass hair)
Nitro5557 (the mystry mod)
Havasuharassin (walmart greeter)
Rexone you're a dumass (or so I've heard)
LMAO........Poor Mikey, you must be overworked. You forgot one of the original Mod Squad.....
SuperDave013 (likes to play with his KNUTTS)

lucky
01-31-2006, 02:15 PM
I understand your point but I would have to disagree somewhat as I used to have a verrrrrrrrrrrrry sexy mailman...................... :rollside: ;)
did ya lick his stamp pad ? :rolleyes:

Froggystyle
01-31-2006, 02:16 PM
I saw a really sexy chick working at Denny's once. By no means sexy enough to start a stereotype around though... ;)

78Eliminator
01-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Right. And some women have erotic dreams about prison inmates, even send them letters and get married to them. Not sure if they dream about spoiled rich kids or not.

Her454
01-31-2006, 02:31 PM
I saw a really sexy chick working at Denny's once. By no means sexy enough to start a stereotype around though... ;)
So basically money=stature is the universal stereotypical sexy? ;)
Understanding your point, I could take this a step further and assume that you would not take a second look at the sexy chick at Denny's because 1) you are happily married and 2) she wouldn't compliment your bank account or lifestyle? :rollside:

Tom Brown
01-31-2006, 02:34 PM
We need a bunch of movies that glamorize ***boat forum posting so we have a shot at getting some chicks. :idea:

78Eliminator
01-31-2006, 02:40 PM
We need a bunch of movies that glamorize ***boat forum posting so we have a shot at getting some chicks. :idea:
Right. When I was deciding what line of work I was going to get in to, I should have thought less about what's interesting, and more about "What will get me laid". A good point of reference would be just about any movie Tom Cruise has done. A pilot, navy seal, nascar driver. Something so macho it screams closet homosexual.

Her454
01-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Right. When I was deciding what line of work I was going to get in to, I should have thought less about what's interesting, and more about "What will get me laid". A good point of reference would be just about any movie Tom Cruise has done. A pilot, navy seal, nascar driver. Something so macho it screams closet homosexual.
Anger managment hasn't helped much has it? ;)

78Eliminator
01-31-2006, 02:42 PM
Anger managment hasn't helped much has it? ;)
Just tit for tat. I can play ass hole too, it turns out.

Tom Brown
01-31-2006, 02:43 PM
At least you've got tits and ass covered. :cool:

Jbb
01-31-2006, 02:49 PM
Hehe...
But you are Canadian, and own an automatic weapon. Those are force multipliers for the programmer thing...
Does it really count ,if the automatic weapon....is made of plastic.....? :p

Froggystyle
01-31-2006, 03:07 PM
Difference is, you don't play... you live it I guess...
Whatever regulates your moods must be wearing off... :rolleyes:

Froggystyle
01-31-2006, 03:07 PM
Does it really count ,if the automatic weapon....is made of plastic.....? :p
Yes. It proves intent.

Froggystyle
01-31-2006, 03:17 PM
Right. When I was deciding what line of work I was going to get in to, I should have thought less about what's interesting, and more about "What will get me laid".
So, how's that working out for you?

Tom Brown
01-31-2006, 03:18 PM
:idea:

Her454
01-31-2006, 03:23 PM
:idea:
Dont try and make it look like your actually thinking about something. :rollside:
Now pay up JBB.

Tom Brown
01-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Dont try and make it look like your actually thinking about something. :rollside:
Why not? :confused:
It's fun to pretend. :)

Her454
01-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Why not? :confused:
It's fun to pretend. :)
Nothing wrong with pretending. I pretend every day that there is hope and they will remove the bars and let me out of here.

steelcomp
01-31-2006, 07:19 PM
After reading all these wonderful, intellectually stimulating, sincere and sympathetic posts here :rolleyes: in response to what happened in Goleta today, I can only say this is sad. I guess I can understand just tossing this aside as another tragic, yet basically insignificant event in the rhelm of humanity, something for the media to sink it's disgusting teeth into, something to make light of and toss around on a worthless internet forum. I may have thought the same thing, although not to this extent. It's good you all have such secure lives that you can waste the day away here on ***boat without a care. When I woke up this morning, I had heard the breaking news the night before about the shooting, and the sketchy details. I thought to myself about what a tragedy it was, and then went to bed.
I'm remodeling two houses within a minute of where this happened. I frequent this post office, as it's the only one open late at night. There's a huge shopping center right across the street, and it's a place I do business almost every day. This is home. This gave this incident a little more impact, as it was closer to home that usual, and kinda makes you think...think just a little more about just what went on there. But none the less, it was someone else's tragedy, and I had work to do. Almost.
I have a wonderful carpenter working for me who's been with me for about 2 yrs. now. He had a girlfriend who, just last year, he married and they had a baby girl just 9 mos ago. He's from Mexico, and never a more respectful, hard working, polite and genuine young man have I ever had the pleasure of working with. He's been working very hard to become legal, going to school at night, and he loves his beautiful, young wife Moleka, and his baby daughter, as you might well imagine. I only have one other worker, and we are a small and personal company, and I've really enjoyed getting to know Pablo and his family. Well, Pablo didn't come to work this morning.
Pablo's wife didn't come home last night. She won't come home tonight. Pablo's wife will never again come home to him and their daughter. HIs wife was one of the innocent victims of last night's shooting. As I'm writing this it's bringing tears to my eyes knowing what Pablo's going through tonight, knowing he'll never see his wife again, and hope that maybe it touches some of you, who laugh and joke about this. Hug your kids tonight. Tell your loved ones you love them. Don't take all this for granted!! Pablo will be strong, but I know in his heart, he's destroyed. He's in his twenties, young enough to have a chance of getting through this and moving on...eventually, but his derams, his desires, his wife, and his baby daughter's mom, are gone, just like that. The woman who was shot in the head and remains in critical condition, although not a good friend, is also someone I know, and who's kids I know. She has four young children, one with MS. She's clinging to life. She and her husband have had their problenms, lately, and there has even been talk of separation. Tonight, their differences seem petty.
These things can hit home. They can happen to you, or someone you know, and care for. What's strange to me is, why do we have to know someone, or be close to someone, to just at least care? Why does it have to happen close to home, before we offer some kind of emotional sacrafice, showing tears, and being sad? I had to ask this of myself, because untill I got the news first thing this morning, I was ready to pass it off as another tragedy. Not now, certainly not now. I am very sad.
For those of you who pray, I'd like to ask you for a moment of your time. Please pray for Pablo. Please take a moment and pray for all the victims of this sensless incident and their families. Every one of them, is just like every one of you and me, in every way that matters.
Thank you for taking time and reading this.
Scott

Flying Tiger
01-31-2006, 07:27 PM
I know a few career USPS letter sorters and they have PH D's, and quite a few of their co-workers have them too,,,
Somethings missing here,,,

Rexone
01-31-2006, 07:48 PM
Scott I started the thread in hope of some serious insight / discussion. It obviously didn't go that direction as most things don't on the forum. I don't think anyone meant any disrespect from it, but just like you would have, passed it off as just another trajedy of life, had you not known someone personally involved. It is very sad when someone feels desparate enough to take the lives of other innocent victims. It happens daily, society becomes somewhat immune to it, but it makes it no less sad. It hits home when it is someone you know and then there's a face you know and love that's connected to it. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, Pablo, his daughter and the familys of all the victims of this senseless murder. This kind of stuff really sucks. :frown:
While there is a few who posted on topic, I'm still interested in why this seems so common in the postal environment if anyone would like to share their thoughts on the subject.

Her454
01-31-2006, 07:58 PM
After reading all these wonderful, intellectually stimulating, sincere and sympathetic posts here :rolleyes: I guess I can understand just tossing this aside as another tragic, yet basically insignificant event in the rhelm of humanity, something to make light of and toss around on a worthless internet forum. It's good you all have such secure lives that you can waste the day away here on ***boat without a care.
As I'm writing this it's bringing tears to my eyes knowing what Pablo's going through tonight, knowing he'll never see his wife again, and hope that maybe it touches some of you, who laugh and joke about this. Hug your kids tonight. Tell your loved ones you love them. Don't take all this for granted!! These things can hit home. They can happen to you, or someone you know, and care for. What's strange to me is, why do we have to know someone, or be close to someone, to just at least care? Why does it have to happen close to home, before we offer some kind of emotional sacrafice, showing tears, and being sad? I had to ask this of myself, because untill I got the news first thing this morning, I was ready to pass it off as another tragedy. Not now, certainly not now. I am very sad.
For those of you who pray, I'd like to ask you for a moment of your time. Please pray for Pablo. Please take a moment and pray for all the victims of this sensless incident and their families. Every one of them, is just like every one of you and me, in every way that matters.
Scott
Scott, being as one of my "lighthearted" posts today was right before your very sad and touching post - please let me be the first to extend my sincere condolences. You are right, sometimes the impact of a tragedy does not hit as close to home for some as it does others. Everyone has a way of dealing with grief and tragedy in their own way yet I dont believe anyone meant to minimize the loss of life. At any rate, thank you for bringing us back to reality and the fact that life is precious and not to be taken for granted, anytime, anywhere.
My heart goes out to the families,
T

Brooski
01-31-2006, 08:05 PM
Scott, you couldnt have hit the point any better. I too watched the news last night, and thought to myself here we go again with just another tragedy. I was ready to post a light hearted answer to the question. But not now. Your words are so right. Every single person is a friend or family member of someone else. Once you find out someone you know is affected, you change your tune. And it shouldnt be that way. It shouldnt take that.
Keyser posts on here, he works for the post office, maybe he can give his .02 on the subject of why.....

Froggystyle
01-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Scott,
You are right, it is strange the effect that closer proximity has on the situation, and I feel terrible for being more than lighthearted about it. As the term "going postal" has had such an obvious and clear meaning these days, it is easy to question, abstractly, what happened and what could have been in her head.
Frankly, I had no idea what actually went down until you posted. I had no idea that any passers by got hurt, and had no business being cute about any response to the tradgedy. I still wonder what about that job causes this type of reaction so often...
I am terribly sorry for your loss. I am also sorry for some less than understanding posts on the subject.
Froggy...

FMluvswater
01-31-2006, 08:37 PM
After reading all these wonderful, intellectually stimulating, sincere and sympathetic posts here :rolleyes: in response to what happened in Goleta today, I can only say this is sad. I guess I can understand just tossing this aside as another tragic, yet basically insignificant event in the rhelm of humanity, something for the media to sink it's disgusting teeth into, something to make light of and toss around on a worthless internet forum. I may have thought the same thing, although not to this extent. It's good you all have such secure lives that you can waste the day away here on ***boat without a care. When I woke up this morning, I had heard the breaking news the night before about the shooting, and the sketchy details. I thought to myself about what a tragedy it was, and then went to bed.
I'm remodeling two houses within a minute of where this happened. I frequent this post office, as it's the only one open late at night. There's a huge shopping center right across the street, and it's a place I do business almost every day. This is home. This gave this incident a little more impact, as it was closer to home that usual, and kinda makes you think...think just a little more about just what went on there. But none the less, it was someone else's tragedy, and I had work to do. Almost.
I have a wonderful carpenter working for me who's been with me for about 2 yrs. now. He had a girlfriend who, just last year, he married and they had a baby girl just 9 mos ago. He's from Mexico, and never a more respectful, hard working, polite and genuine young man have I ever had the pleasure of working with. He's been working very hard to become legal, going to school at night, and he loves his beautiful, young wife Moleka, and his baby daughter, as you might well imagine. I only have one other worker, and we are a small and personal company, and I've really enjoyed getting to know Pablo and his family. Well, Pablo didn't come to work this morning.
Pablo's wife didn't come home last night. She won't come home tonight. Pablo's wife will never again come home to him and their daughter. HIs wife was one of the innocent victims of last night's shooting. As I'm writing this it's bringing tears to my eyes knowing what Pablo's going through tonight, knowing he'll never see his wife again, and hope that maybe it touches some of you, who laugh and joke about this. Hug your kids tonight. Tell your loved ones you love them. Don't take all this for granted!! Pablo will be strong, but I know in his heart, he's destroyed. He's in his twenties, young enough to have a chance of getting through this and moving on...eventually, but his derams, his desires, his wife, and his baby daughter's mom, are gone, just like that. The woman who was shot in the head and remains in critical condition, although not a good friend, is also someone I know, and who's kids I know. She has four young children, one with MS. She's clinging to life. She and her husband have had their problenms, lately, and there has even been talk of separation. Tonight, their differences seem petty.
These things can hit home. They can happen to you, or someone you know, and care for. What's strange to me is, why do we have to know someone, or be close to someone, to just at least care? Why does it have to happen close to home, before we offer some kind of emotional sacrafice, showing tears, and being sad? I had to ask this of myself, because untill I got the news first thing this morning, I was ready to pass it off as another tragedy. Not now, certainly not now. I am very sad.
Scott
Request granted. You speak such raw truth about conditional compassion. It really hit home. Thank-you for your post. Prayers will be said and respect felt for the lives lost and scarred. :chi:

Keyser
01-31-2006, 08:57 PM
Scott, you couldnt have hit the point any better. I too watched the news last night, and thought to myself here we go again with just another tragedy. I was ready to post a light hearted answer to the question. But not now. Your words are so right. Every single person is a friend or family member of someone else. Once you find out someone you know is affected, you change your tune. And it shouldnt be that way. It shouldnt take that.
Keyser posts on here, he works for the post office, maybe he can give his .02 on the subject of why.....
Well the Goleta Processing and Distibution Center is in out Performance Cluster, so we've had alot of info come across our desks. From what I understand (and this may have already been said on this thread) but a woman who was put and disabilty through the postal service 2 years ago took a female employee's id badge at gun point in the parking lot of the P&DC, entered the facility and started shooting. Now that is the official story. Now from what I hear through the grapevine is that this lady has had alot of mental problems in the past and was a problem employee, which is why she was put on disability. I work as the lead mechanic at the Van Nuys Vehicle Maintenance Facility, and I get to talk to alot of carriers and before working here i worked at the VMF at the Santa Clarita P&DC, so i got to talk to alot of people who work in that plant which is just like the one in goleta. And I hear the same thing , lots of work and no recognition. That causes alot of P.O. employees to get upset and often very angry. Now i'm not saying that is what happened in this case. This woman as far as I know had a history of mental illness, and there are things that went through her head that none of us will ever know. Just please remember these people in your prayers, all of them, even the shooter. I dont know how to post a picture so if some one could help me out their is on of the victims in my members gallery. If I find out anymore and knowing the gossipers in this place I will definately post more on this.

steelcomp
01-31-2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks for your responses. I guess there may have been a tone of "shame on you all" in my first post, and for those who may have taken it that way, I apologise. I admit, my overwhelming emotion through all this is anger, then sadness, so that may have com out. I meant no disrespect, nor was I trying to chastize anyone. The question about why something like this only seems to matter when it hits close, was one I was asking as much of myself, as anyone else. Human nature intrigues me.
Thanks again for the kind words.
In response to Mike's question, "why always the post office"...I don't know. This woman hadn't been associated with the post office for over two years. My only guess is that there's something appealing about the post office to a certain type of mentality that, for what ever reason, and more often than in other professions, it lends itself to people with a lesser degree of mental stability. Maybe it represents some sort of safe haven for those who might not have as much luck with other types of employment. We all face trials and tribulations in our professions. We have challanges, and conflicts, and I don't honestly think that it's the post office that "makes" someone go postal. The conditions may be a catalyst, but not the reason. To blame the PO would assume that one could make some kind of sense out of what has happened, and apply logic. I think we all try and do that as some form of self protection, or self preservation. I guess if we can make sense of it, and we can identify a reason or cause, then we can understand. By understanding, we feel more at peace. But there is no understanding this. These people have no sense whatsoever when they're committing these murders. They're making sense in their own minds, and somehow justifying killing and then taking their own life. That's something that happens deep within one's soul, and I don't think is conected to the post office other than, like I said before, for whatever reason, it may attract that type of potentially unstable person. These people have severe mental illness and disturbances, and that didn't come from working in the PO.
Just my opinion.

Keyser
01-31-2006, 09:14 PM
Well your right, the one thing that makes me think that whis was more a cry for attention is that usually when this happens, the shooter has atleast one certain person in mind and take that person out, the rest in collateral damage. I dont think these people even knew this lady. Like we say here "SHE JUST SNAPPED!". And yes I think the P.O. does hire some unstabel people. I just finished talking to a carrier who said he had a cat that mated with a rabbit and had half breed kittens, so decide for yourselves. We have people that we work with and just think "Its just a matter of time." Sucks to say but it's true. GOD I hope it never happens here.

Keyser
01-31-2006, 09:16 PM
"Killed during the shooting were Mail Processing Clerk Guadalupe Swartz, 52, and Bulk Mail Clerk Nicola Grant, 42, from Lompoc, CA, and Mail Processing Clerks Ze Fairchild, 37, and Maleka Higgins, 28, from Santa Barbara, CA. Also dead is Mail Processing Clerk Dexter Shannon, 58, of Oxnard, CA, the only male victim in the attack.
Training Technician Charlotte Colton, 44, of Santa Barbara was wounded during the shooting and is in critical condition"
From our online newsletter at USPS.
http://http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/329406_0131victims-med.jpg

steelcomp
01-31-2006, 09:32 PM
Here's what I understand AFA what happened. Our local news services are the absolute worst, so I've gathered as much off the National news as any other.
At about 9:15 last night, the shooter, knowing this was the time for shift change, was able to follow closely enough to another incoming car to get through the electric security gate. She allegedly made her way to the building enterance, on the way, killing two. It's suspected that she either took the electronic pass key off of one of her victims, or she took it from another employee at gunpoint, who was unhurt. There was a third victim found outside, near the enterance to the building. The woman who remains in critical condition was found in the entry way, just inside the door. As shots were being fired, a male employee was able to hide himself, and after waiting untill he felt it was safe, was able to phone 911, and the police arrived almost immediately. The breaking news came across the TV at about 10:00. At that time, the police had found the three victims outside, and the one still alive in the entry way. It was not known at that time where the shooter was, or how many other people may be involved. There's a fire station right across the street, and as many as possible were evacuated to that locaton, and the SWAT team was called, as there was still no sign of the shooter, who was still believed to be inside. I guess it was near 10:30 when around 45 SWAT members entered the building, and systematically began searching for the shooter. This is a very large facility, and it wasn't untill after 2:00 this morning when they found the last two victims, both dead, (one of which was my friend Pablo's wife) and the shooter who had comitted suicide. It's not known weather or not this was a random shooting, or weather or not the shooter targeted her victims. She used a 9mm semi-auto pistol, and had emptied one clip, and reloaded before all was said and done. She had been put on mental disability by the post office, and at one time during her smployment, had been removed from that facility by the sheriff. Fellow employees had called in a complaint, not in fear for themselves, but in fear that she might hurt herself. Mental disability will only pay for two years, so it's possible that she was facing some kind of hardship as her disability was about to, or had expired. She was living in AZ, and had a history of problems of mental instability there, as well.
That's about all I know at this point.

Squirtin Thunder
01-31-2006, 09:38 PM
Scott
Great Post, Life is short
Thank you for putting this back into perspective.
Jim