PDA

View Full Version : So with oil prices below $60....

bigq
02-19-2007, 08:12 AM
a barrel can someone tell me why the price at the pump is still high as it was when it was at $75 a barrel? The futures market seems pretty stable so that can't be it.:rolleyes:
Light, sweet crude for March delivery lost 44 cents to $58.98 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange by afternoon in Europe. April Nymex crude dropped 7 cents to $59.79 a barrel. Trading was quiet in Asia due to the Lunar New Year holidays.
April Brent crude oil futures on London's ICE futures exchange lost 11 cents to $58.84 a barrel.
Heating oil futures dropped nearly a cent to $1.6647 a gallon while natural gas prices rose 8.6 cents to $7.589 per 1,000 cubic feet.

Not So Fast
02-19-2007, 08:22 AM
a barrel can someone tell me why the price at the pump is still high as it was when it was at $75 a barrel? The futures market seems pretty stable so that can't be it.:rolleyes:
And it has gone up 12 cents here in the last week, figure that out. IT"S CALLED GREED my friend and until THE GOVERNMENT (fat chance with this administration) stops it there is not a thing we can do about it, MFER"S:mad: NSF

Boozer
02-19-2007, 09:22 AM
The price of raw crude is coming down however OPEC announced that they will be cutting production and that is why the cost at the pump has not changed.
Is it greed? More then likely so. However, it is also capitolism and whether you like it or not it's just the way it is.
I'm thinking it's time to start buying some stock in the oil companies and hopefully the profits on my stock will offset the prices at the pump.

Eliminator 4 Life
02-19-2007, 10:05 AM
BIODIESEL to the rescue haha:D

hoolign
02-19-2007, 10:37 AM
BIODIESEL to the rescue haha:D
BLASPHEMY! :jawdrop:

Jesster
02-19-2007, 11:05 AM
You shouldn't go by SOCAL prices 2.39 at Sams yesterday, drove to Havasu and paid 2.09 I dont think CA has 30 cents in extra taxes (maybe we do?) so the station owners are profiting nicely as gas goes up quickly and drops very slowly at the pump.

bigq
02-19-2007, 11:15 AM
The price of raw crude is coming down however OPEC announced that they will be cutting production and that is why the cost at the pump has not changed.
Is it greed? More then likely so. However, it is also capitolism and whether you like it or not it's just the way it is.
I'm thinking it's time to start buying some stock in the oil companies and hopefully the profits on my stock will offset the prices at the pump.
Nope they are not changing anything through March last I read. They want to keep the price point between 55 and $60. This should stabilize the price. I would say Oil stocks would be a good bet.:D A little piece of the action.

boatnam2
02-19-2007, 11:22 AM
its just a game so oil is cheap but now supply is low.

acatitude
02-19-2007, 11:30 AM
I gave you guys the scenerio a while back.... why should they refine more when they can just charge more.. all there costs are in refining the oil.... so if I had a lemonade stand and had to squeeze 4 lemons for a dollar glass of lemonade and no one else had lemonade id just charge 2 dollars for it, therefore making 2x as much with 1/2 the work...... thats a lousy scenerio probably but you get the picture and as long as bush is pres and in the oil business don't expect any changes for the better..... I think
supply is only low cuzz they stop refining it for a while... its not like they have all of a sudden ran out............

TheLurker
02-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Actually it's a little system we call capitalism or maybe you might prefer the term Supply and Demand. There is still a lot of demand out there so why would the people who set the prices want to lower them? They are not bleeding heart liberals only concerned with your well being.
They have duty to their shareholders to make the most money they can.
And it has gone up 12 cents here in the last week, figure that out. IT"S CALLED GREED my friend and until THE GOVERNMENT (fat chance with this administration) stops it there is not a thing we can do about it, MFER"S:mad: NSF
West Coast refining margins have been very healthy since the start of the year but the last thing you need is for the government to get involved. I can’t think of one example they stuck their nose's in, in the business sector and improved it. The government only leads to more regulation and higher costs for consumers. (One of the reasons west coast gasolines costs more)
You shouldn't go by SOCAL prices 2.39 at Sams yesterday, drove to Havasu and paid 2.09 I dont think CA has 30 cents in extra taxes (maybe we do?) so the station owners are profiting nicely as gas goes up quickly and drops very slowly at the pump.
Actually the rule of thumb is the refiners profits tend to increase faster while the price of gasoline is going up and they decline slowly due to the marketer trying to squeeze out his profit by holding the higher price and letting them drift down slowly.
Example: Price of oil goes up, The cost of finished product gasoline in our case goes up refiner makes money but the station owner profit margin gets squeezed. Price of oil goes down, refiner sells his gas to the station owner at a lower cost but station owner tries to hold the higher price (depends on what his competitors are doing) to get profit margin back up to make up for his margin squeeze when prices were going up.
I don’t like paying more for gasoline anymore than the next guy. My personal gasoline bill is much more than most buy I’m not going to bitch about it because you have to understand it is a business just like any other business. and if you cant make a decent return on your investment we would be living like the people of the old communist Soviet Union were.

SB
02-19-2007, 12:21 PM
The oil producers know that when gas is over about $3/gal., other options get more attractive. When gas is under $2, it doesn't pay to mess around with other options.
The stated target price used to be $22-28/barrel, but with prices up the last 3 years, now they have stated a more realistic $50-60. It can certainly adjust from that.

plaster dave
02-19-2007, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=TheLurker;2399125]
Example: Price of oil goes up, The cost of finished product gasoline in our case goes up refiner makes money but the station owner profit margin gets squeezed. Price of oil goes down, refiner sells his gas to the station owner at a lower cost but station owner tries to hold the higher price (depends on what his competitors are doing) to get profit margin back up to make up for his margin squeeze when prices were going up.
I don’t like paying more for gasoline anymore than the next guy. My personal gasoline bill is much more than most buy I’m not going to bitch about it because you have to understand it is a business just like any other business. and if you cant make a decent return on your investment we would be living like the people of the old communist Soviet Union were.
I agree 100%.

Not So Fast
02-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Actually it's a little system we call capitalism or maybe you might prefer the term Supply and Demand. There is still a lot of demand out there so why would the people who set the prices want to lower them? They are not bleeding heart liberals only concerned with your well being.
West Coast refining margins have been very healthy since the start of the year but the last thing you need is for the government to get involved. I can’t think of one example they stuck their nose's in, in the business sector and improved it. The government only leads to more regulation and higher costs for consumers. (One of the reasons west coast gasolines costs more)
Actually the rule of thumb is the refiners profits tend to increase faster while the price of gasoline is going up and they decline slowly due to the marketer trying to squeeze out his profit by holding the higher price and letting them drift down slowly.
The self proclaimed prophet has spoken, so to speak! NSF

jbone
02-19-2007, 12:44 PM
I thought it was a mistake, but there is a "no name" gas station in San Diego (805 and H street) that is selling reg unleaded for 3.39 a gallon.
There was nobody pumping gas, so I went to see if it was a mistake and they said no. I said I guess that's why nobody is pumping gas, and took off to Costco. It was 2.45 there.
J

Baja Big Dog
02-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Wonder what Exxon's profits were last year!!!!!:idea:

TheLurker
02-19-2007, 12:49 PM
The self proclaimed prophet has spoken, so to speak! NSF
No prophetizing <<making up my own word there I think, well maybe just a little with the comment about the Soviet Union but who knows where we would be without the incentive of making a buck just stating the facts from where I see them.
Also wondering about the phychology behind the comment. If you don’t like what I have to say disagree, state your opinion on it. If you want to call names lets go to Bench Racers or Cats & Tunnels. If you were joking I don’t see the :D :D :D

TheLurker
02-19-2007, 12:54 PM
39.5 billion for the year. A Year over year stock return of 39.18% but a miserable P/E of11.38

Baja Big Dog
02-19-2007, 02:42 PM
WOW, as much as the principals of democracy are an important role in "America", the feasible and deplorable "head in the sand" attititude regarding fuel prices by our goverenment is driving us change our lifestyles. I dont know why, (someone said that the oil companies contribute alot on money to the political parties?? HUM???) Layoffs and business closures due to the inability to cover fuel prices is unavoidable.
Although I simpithise with your plight in dealing with your "personal" fuel bill, I simpithize even more with those of us that are squeezed with lower profits and or income as a result of fuel issues, whatever your personal fuel bills are , they are more than likly a pimple on the ass of alot of folks that are eating shit as a result of the increase in fuel. It woudl be nice if we were able to pass this along but in the real world of competition it is not always an option.
Bear in mind that everything you and I use every day are depending on fuel to get to us, either by process or by distribution.
Im sure if I (or we in many cases) could show increases in profits simular to the oil companies we wouldnt be posting on this forum. We would be playing golf the exec's from Exxon and other fat cats.
Supply and demand??? I guess in the broadest term that is a true, but some other words could also be used, who's got some other words for what the oil companies are doing?
Ill start..............extortion
1. an act or instance of extorting.
2. Law. the crime of obtaining money or some other thing of value by the abuse of one's office or authority.
3. oppressive or illegal exaction, as of excessive price or interest: the extortions of usurers.
4. anything extorted.
Does that sound accurate?
Anyone, anyone....Buehler???:idea: :idea:

Not So Fast
02-19-2007, 03:16 PM
WOW, as much as the principals of democracy are an important role in "America", the feasible and deplorable "head in the sand" attititude regarding fuel prices by our goverenment is driving us change our lifestyles. I dont know why, (someone said that the oil companies contribute alot on money to the political parties?? HUM???) Layoffs and business closures due to the inability to cover fuel prices is unavoidable.
Although I simpithise with your plight in dealing with your "personal" fuel bill, I simpithize even more with those of us that are squeezed with lower profits and or income as a result of fuel issues, whatever your personal fuel bills are , they are more than likly a pimple on the ass of alot of folks that are eating shit as a result of the increase in fuel. It woudl be nice if we were able to pass this along but in the real world of competition it is not always an option.
Bear in mind that everything you and I use every day are depending on fuel to get to us, either by process or by distribution.
Im sure if I (or we in many cases) could show increases in profits simular to the oil companies we wouldnt be posting on this forum. We would be playing golf the exec's from Exxon and other fat cats.
Supply and demand??? I guess in the broadest term that is a true, but some other words could also be used, who's got some other words for what the oil companies are doing?
Ill start..............extortion
1. an act or instance of extorting.
2. Law. the crime of obtaining money or some other thing of value by the abuse of one's office or authority.
3. oppressive or illegal exaction, as of excessive price or interest: the extortions of usurers.
4. anything extorted.
Does that sound accurate?
Anyone, anyone....Buehler???:idea: :idea:
Price gouging ???
Ruining the economy -- i.e, Fords lack of sales on their best selling trucks and SUV's by their own words because of the price of gas causing possibly their collapse?
The "good ole boys reunion" Texas style
Can anyone say they haven't noticed the rise in prices on virtually everything you buy and why, because of increased fuel costs??
I agree with you Big Dog, profit at the ruination of this country is just wrong period.
Lurker, you are entitled to your opinion just as I am to mine and mine is that this administration is just as guilty as the oil companies, it is corrupt to the hilt. JMO. NSF

TheLurker
02-19-2007, 04:07 PM
This is always one topic that always inspires a lot of passion.
Baja Big Doug your argument is not lost on me. Higher fuel costs due squeeze the profits in many different areas. Some are able to pass along their increase with an increase in product prices others with fuel sure charges.
Some because of fierce competition cant and have to find a way to be more efficient or fail.
NSF mentions Ford I’ll throw in Chrysler also, I still prefer Ford and GM products but IMHO their overall product line in addition to their legacy pension benefits are what’s killing them. There are other car company’s that are having very good years High fuel prices have not taken much of a bite from their sales. I hope Toyota gets their asses handed to them in NASCAR but they probably wont. They seem like even when they fail they to learn something from it and improve. I don’t see American car companies doing that.
Didn’t they go through about this same scenario in the mid seventies?
Now lets talk about something that’s more near and dear to my heart. Beer! To get beer all you have to do is grow a few hops, some barley add a little water a few other ingredients and presto you have beer all from renewable resources but if you add it up you pay well over $3.00 a gallon for it. Not to many people complain about that.
Getting back to gasoline, go try and find some oil (very expensive) try to get it out of the ground where ever it may be (very expensive), transport it (very expensive) and that’s with out having a ship captain park his tanker on a reef and cost you $10 billion +. Refine it (very expensive) Again transport it to the market place. Store it and sell it (not cheap) And be taxed all along the way The state of California makes more money off a gallon of gas than the sellers.
That’s all for me on this subject I don’t like typing long posts.

Big Warlock
02-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Yea Genius! What is the margin? :D

acatitude
02-19-2007, 05:01 PM
The "good ole boys reunion" Texas style
thank you Mr. Bush

Jesster
02-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I agree with you. Would I like gas to come down? Sure. Are gas prices really that bad? I don’t think so. When you take inflation into account there are things that are worse that we don't complain about. I think we all tend to complain (I know I do) when it cost 270 bucks to fill the boat. :devil: It is a business and we pay what the market will bear. Corporations make a profit and it all "trickles down" whether in the form of new investments and hiring by the oil company's, refiners, gas stations to dividends passed on to the investor. Free market, go figure, I personally wouldn't have it any other way. They tried government control and a lot of us remember how well that went.

Blown 472
02-19-2007, 07:08 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6376639.stm
And if this happens watch prices go thru the roof.
Dont expect the gubment to do anything about the gouging as they are all making money from it as well.

3 daytona`s
02-19-2007, 07:18 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6376639.stm
And if this happens watch prices go thru the roof.
Dont expect the gubment to do anything about the gouging as they are all making money from it as well.
Hey Blown,don`t get everyone stirred up here,they are happy as things are.:)

Baja Big Dog
02-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Gosh Mr. Warlock, Im not the brightest bulb on the tree, and have never claimed to be, but I learn alot by asking questions. So if you could please help educate myself as well as some of the other "less intelligent" posters on this forum and explain your comment regarding margins, assuming you are employed by Exxon and are familular with the burden and overhead reporting they use to determine margins ( I heard one time from someone far smarter than me that margin numbers are based on numbers that are adjustable).
So please Mr Warlock tell all of us (and concider it an education for the rest of less intelligent) what the margins are and how they came to the numbers. I thank you in advance for the education, and IM sure that I will walk away with a better idea on how to run the 4 corporations I own, and Im sure some other posters will also gain knowledge on how a corporation runs.
Please use small words so I can better understand.
Thank you ...."Genius Dog"....I like the sound of that!!!!;)

Baja Big Dog
02-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Gosh Mr. Warlock, Im not the brightest bulb on the tree, and have never claimed to be, but I learn alot by asking questions. So if you could please help educate myself as well as some of the other "less intelligent" posters on this forum and explain your comment regarding margins, assuming you are employed by Exxon and are familular with the burden and overhead reporting they use to determine margins ( I heard one time from someone far smarter than me that margin numbers are based on numbers that are adjustable).
So please Mr Warlock tell all of us (and concider it an education for the rest of less intelligent) what the margins are and how they came to the numbers. I thank you in advance for the education, and IM sure that I will walk away with a better idea on how to run the 4 corporations I own, and Im sure some other posters will also gain knowledge on how a corporation runs.
Please use small words so I can better understand.
Thank you ...."Genius Dog"....I like the sound of that!!!!;)
Warlock??????? Warlock.......:jawdrop:

Jordy
02-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Warlock??????? Warlock.......:jawdrop:
He's out of town right now. I'm certain you'll get a response though. ;)

Baja Big Dog
02-20-2007, 03:46 PM
He's out of town right now. I'm certain you'll get a response though. ;)
HA..HA Cool...........

SmokinLowriderSS
02-20-2007, 04:32 PM
When oil was $75 a barrell, I was paying $3.50+ a gallon for gasoline (reg unleaded)
At $60 a barrell, I payed $2.15 last night, same 87 octane reg unleaded.
20% drop in the price of a barrel of oil.
$38% drop in the price of a gallon of gasoline.
If YOU are still actually paying the same, you are getting ripped off, move to the midwest.

Big Warlock
02-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Was out of town.
ok, I have no problem laying it on the line. FYI I do own several corporations my self and did earn an MBA from Cal Poly. And yes, my father was an executive for Mobil Oil.
That being said, oil corporations currently run on margins ranging from 8% to 10% on the money. That was well documented during the last set of congressional hearing we had on the oil companies and their "massive" profits! LOL Margins do count and if you own a business then you know that. And competition in the oil industry is very evident. Count how many oil companies you know. Now, how many computer oprating systems do you know?
In addition, it was documented that there is insufficient refining capacity in the US. We currently use what we produce and our refineries are at capacity. (Currently prices will jump .40 cents at the pump because of a fire at a facility in Texas, reported this morning.) That was followed by the topic of when the last refinery was built in this country (25 years or more) followed by the fact that if prices do not go up, then there would be shortages. (Supply and demand theory, but you're all over that I know.)
So "Jenius" I know you own your several corporations, etc. etc. But I am calling you out on this one. Oil companies are not making "crazy" money on their investment. And, if they are, I am sure your next company will be a refining company or oil production or oil exploration. Right? After all, it is a capitalist society right?
Good luck!
By the way, if you look up post from the past, you'll read that this topic was well covered over the years.
And I apologize for not answering sooner.

BRAWNY
02-22-2007, 08:16 AM
prices just went up another .07 cents this morning.
diesel now $2.869:mad:

Big Warlock
02-22-2007, 08:34 AM
The diesel issue is a mystery to all of us!

Big Warlock
02-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Business
Oil Companies Experiencing Record Profits
by Scott Horsley
All Things Considered, September 29, 2005 · Strong global demand for energy combined with tight supplies has resulted in record oil company profits. Some politicians are crying foul, especially after Katrina. But most analysts say it's the market at work.

Jordy
02-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Business
Oil Companies Experiencing Record Profits
by Scott Horsley
All Things Considered, September 29, 2005 · Strong global demand for energy combined with tight supplies has resulted in record oil company profits. Some politicians are crying foul, especially after Katrina. But most analysts say it's the market at work.
Hmm... why does that sound familar... Strong demand with tight supplies in an open market seems like something should happen with price... hmm... :jawdrop: :idea: :D

Big Warlock
02-22-2007, 01:20 PM
I am trying to keep this at the top for Baja Dog. I again apologize to the populous of HB for being away from so many days. You know how it is with travel and all. Just difficult to keep up with it all.
Baja Dog, we good with everything or more explanation needed? How is the Hillary campaign going? Is she and Obama going to make up? Should we start a new thread for that?
:D :D

SmokinLowriderSS
02-22-2007, 03:49 PM
We already have a 7 pager I think, over in Polit. Rhetoric. :D

Big Warlock
02-22-2007, 06:01 PM
We already have a 7 pager I think, over in Polit. Rhetoric. :D
I know. It has been debated well on many boards. Fact are facts. Still waiting for BBD to get his last licks in. But in all fairness, I left the topic alone for several days. :confused:

Jordy
02-22-2007, 06:07 PM
But in all fairness, I left the topic alone for several days. :confused:
I just don't think you're applying yourself. Think of what you could accomplish if you were to REALLY try. :D :D :D

Jordy
02-23-2007, 09:07 AM
:notam:

Baja Big Dog
02-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Glad to see your back, next time take a laptop...you dont want to miss anything here..............
Your inside line of the oil business should be able to answer the all improtant question (in my mind), why is the production of oil in the U.S. of A. so handicapped?
With the margins so low how do the oil companies survive if the, as I call it "massive profits" drop? Or do they have the ability to control the "massive profits".
How do the oil companies warant the prices they charge in times of diaster, IE A fire at a refinery this A.M and the price jumps 7 cents a gallon today.
Do the people that sell us the gas share the same profit numbers (on fuel) the people that supply them with product make?
These are serious questions that intrest me, not bustin ouyr balls on this one!!!
Glad you back....Lets keep these guys awake...:eek:

Big Warlock
02-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Glad to see your back, next time take a laptop...you dont want to miss anything here..............
Your inside line of the oil business should be able to answer the all improtant question (in my mind), why is the production of oil in the U.S. of A. so handicapped?
With the margins so low how do the oil companies survive if the, as I call it "massive profits" drop? Or do they have the ability to control the "massive profits".
How do the oil companies warant the prices they charge in times of diaster, IE A fire at a refinery this A.M and the price jumps 7 cents a gallon today.
Do the people that sell us the gas share the same profit numbers (on fuel) the people that supply them with product make?
These are serious questions that intrest me, not bustin ouyr balls on this one!!!
Glad you back....Lets keep these guys awake...:eek:
Production of oil in the US. Bottom line is that it is much cheaper to discover and produce oil in other parts of the world and ship to the US than it is to produce oil in the US. Also, much of the crude in the US in heavy crude and not very suitable to make gasoline, kerosene and other lighter oil products. Better suited for grease, and heavy lubricants, asphalt, etc. etc. So Venezuela, Saudi and Nigeria produce the light, “sweet” crude required to produce the lighter fuels. Texas has a good quality light crude but not produced in sufficient quantities. That’s the quick answer.
Oil companies do well at their business. They follow a model that has served them well. The point is they use huge amounts of capital and have huge revenues but make a “decent “ margin. When spread out over all of their stockholders, it really isn’t the top stock pick. However, they have been exceptionally consistent with dividend payouts and their stock has climbed considerably. So you get paid a dividend and your stock will appreciate. They are very, very consistent at this. Any decent portfolio will have oil stocks as part of an energy portfolio. And face it, our world from plastics to tires to roads to fuels is very dependent on oil. So you have steady consumption. Your stock pick is based on management and your belief that they can do the best at that. The Mobil – Exxon chief retired with over $400 million in just stock options based on values he created in his tenure. I have no problem with that.
Oil companies warrant charging more in times of a disaster because supplies are so tight. If they continue to charge steady prices with supply being cut, they will run out of fuel. By charging more it gets to the point where all of us stop doing some things we would normally do. We as boaters all took a second look at going out or even how much we ran our boats last year as prices went up. That saved supply and no one ran out of fuel. The government wasn’t going to step in as they collect on taxes. Tax on a gallon of fuel is something like .60 cents in Ca. In Az. We get our fuel from Ca. and Texas and pay less as our state portion is less than you pay in Ca. But every gallon of fuel has Federal and state tax on it. It is somewhere between .60 and .80 cents per gallon!
Like a franchise operation, the people that sell us the gas at the station are generally a franchise owner or independent. I don’t believe there are many “company” stores anymore. They operate on very low margins, like 3%. Most of them make money on the convenience store attached to the fuel. They only make money on large volume. The oil company makes money selling to them. The fuel outlet also collects the tax for the feds and state. Tough business from what I understand. Someone here on the boards owns a few stations I think.

HBjet
02-23-2007, 12:56 PM
The price of gasoline will always go up over time no matter what the barrel costs are. This will happen until the US can completely cut out foreign oil and be self sufficient with other technologies. Once that happens, oil will be very cheap again. Nothing else will bring the price down in my opinion as there is a huge demand in the US. Cut the demand, and the price will hit the floor.
HBjet

AZJD
02-23-2007, 01:09 PM
It's all because of George W Bush. He is raising oil prices and he is doing business directly with Osama Bin Laden!:eek: :D
This ought to get some response!
Rob you know i'm kidding so save the ass chewing!:D :D

Jesster
02-24-2007, 09:35 AM
The price of gasoline will always go up over time no matter what the barrel costs are. This will happen until the US can completely cut out foreign oil and be self sufficient with other technologies. Once that happens, oil will be very cheap again. Nothing else will bring the price down in my opinion as there is a huge demand in the US. Cut the demand, and the price will hit the floor.
HBjet
And the best part is..... The mideast will be sucking hind tit because their income stream will slowly decrease as the world moves to alternative sources. Long time in the future though. Probably.