PDA

View Full Version : XM & SIRIUS merging

EXTRMBT
02-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Just announced
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070219/ap_on_bi_ge/xm_radio_sirius
NEW YORK - XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. and Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. have agreed to merge, the two companies said Monday.
ADVERTISEMENT
The deal would consolidate the only two companies in the emerging business of subscription-only satellite radio, and is sure to face tough scrutiny from federal regulators. Investors and analysts have been speculating about a deal for months.
The two companies said in a statement that Mel Karmazin, the CEO of Sirius, would become chief executive of the new company while Gary Parsons, the chairman of XM, would remain in that role.

909punk
02-19-2007, 12:58 PM
wow
I knew XM was hurting.. I'm sure not much will change as far as the programming on my XM unit. If anything, hopefully I can get Bubba. lol

Nord
02-19-2007, 12:59 PM
WOW!!!!
I wonder what Stern thinks of all of this???
~NORD

Sleek-Jet
02-19-2007, 01:00 PM
I hope this doesn't f*ck up the Sirius programming... the reason I went with Sirius in the first place is I like thier channel selection better.
Probably means that the subscription price is going up as well...

Nord
02-19-2007, 01:01 PM
wow
I knew XM was hurting.. I'm sure not much will change as far as the programming on my XM unit. If anything, hopefully I can get Bubba. lol
I listen to Bubba and Howard daily......can't get enough

BoneDaddy
02-19-2007, 01:02 PM
I have XM in the boat and Sirius at home. I have been a fan of the "Hair Band" station on Sirius. I wonder if this means I can get this channel on the boat?:idea: :confused:

FryJet
02-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Cool, double the chitty costomer service.
F.J.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
02-19-2007, 01:04 PM
I hope this doesn't f*ck up the Sirius programming... the reason I went with Sirius in the first place is I like thier channel selection better.
I agree. I like the programming on Sirius better. As long as I still get to listen to Mojo Nixon on Outlaw I'll be happy.

909punk
02-19-2007, 01:05 PM
I listen to Bubba and Howard daily......can't get enough
The only time I ever heard Bubba was when I was on the show.. We flew into Tampa with a couple of content girls and the girls did all sorts of xxx stuff to each other on air.. That poor guy .25 cent.. Bubba had those girls take a belt to his balls.. yikes!

EXTRMBT
02-19-2007, 01:05 PM
From what Mel was talking today not much is going to change in the programming dept. on the SIRIUS side:D . Not sure how the XM side is going to fair. Still all the BS to go through before it's final.

Ziggy
02-19-2007, 01:06 PM
I paid for a "lifetime" subscription........I have no monthly bill. :D Feels good cuz by about June this year it will have paid for itself.
1st Wave 22.. !!!

79Challenger
02-19-2007, 01:07 PM
I paid for a "lifetime" subscription........I have no monthly bill. :D Feels good cuz by about June this year it will have paid for itself.
1st Wave 22.. !!!
September for me!

fat rat
02-19-2007, 01:10 PM
I don't care about the programming..........how about my XM stock, what will happen with it.:confused:

WYRD
02-19-2007, 01:13 PM
1st Wave 22.. !!!
How much was that?

dumbandyoung
02-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Hell yah! XM sucks balls

Sportin' Wood
02-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Canned my XM last year for sirius. Much better selection.

anxious
02-19-2007, 01:22 PM
1st Wave 22.. !!!
what the hell......i have the lifetime too.....they better not screw with that. I have stock in sirius also

Not So Fast
02-19-2007, 01:25 PM
When I said this would happen about six months ago nobody believed me! NSF

Powerquestboy
02-19-2007, 01:27 PM
I am also curious to see what happens with the stock prices? I have stock in Sirius which has been a very poor performer to say the least. XM's stock has fallen but its still about 3 times what Sirius is? Interested to see what happens......

Jbb
02-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Is the new name gonna be ...Xirius....?.....:p

SummerBreeze
02-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Will my stock be worth more

Sleek-Jet
1st Wave 22.. !!!
Think they'll honor that after the merger??? I'm betting not, corporate will find someway to weasel out of it...
El Cavino on Octane channel 20 for me, he plays some good tracks...

squirt'nmyload
1st Wave 22.. !!!
i didn't get the "lifetime" subscription because they told me it was for the lifetime of the radio that you have and that it cant be transfered

anxious
02-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Think they'll honor that after the merger??? I'm betting not, corporate will find someway to weasel out of it...
El Cavino on Octane channel 20 for me, he plays some good tracks...
thats exactly what im thinking

Firecracker
02-19-2007, 01:47 PM
i didn't get the "lifetime" subscription because they told me it was for the lifetime of the radio that you have and that it cant be transfered
Last time I checked into the lifetime thing you could transfer it twice, but it was a $75 fee to transfer it.
I have had both Sirius, and XM. Sirius is by far the better choice. Octane 20, and Blue Collar Comedy 103, for me. I really do hope they don't mess with the Sirius channels...

lalhc
02-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Here is some additional info on the merger.
The deal would face significant regulatory hurdles in Washington, including a Federal Communications Commission rule that clearly states that one satellite radio provider cannot buy the other one. However, that rule could be waived.
A combination would also have to meet antitrust approval from the Department of Justice. The companies are expected to argue that they compete not only with each other but also with a growing base of digital audio sources such as iPods, mobile phones, and non-satellite digital radio.
"This combination is the next logical step in the evolution of audio entertainment," said Karmazin. "Together, our best-in-class management team and programming content will create unprecedented choice for consumers, while creating long-term value for shareholders of both companies."
XM and Sirius have both posted significant financial losses as they built up their programming lineups and recruited subscribers. Both stocks declined more than 40 percent last year on concerns about their continued growth in subscribers and softness in the retail market, but investors have held out hopes that a merger could bring costs down significantly.
Shareholders of XM and Sirius would each own approximately 50 percent of the combined company. XM shareholders would receive 4.6 shares of Sirius stock for each share of XM they own.
New York-based Sirius, satellite radio home to Howard Stern and the National Football League, ended 2006 with more than 6 million subscribers. Washington-based XM, which carries Major League Baseball games and shows produced by Oprah Winfrey, said it ended 2006 with more than 7.6 million subscribers.
That would value XM shares at $17.02 each, based on Friday's closing prices, representing a premium of 22 percent from XM's closing value of $13.98 Friday. Markets were closed Monday for the Presidents' Day holiday.
The companies didn't say what the new company would be called, though they described it as a merger of equals. The new company's board will have 12 members, including Parsons, Karmazin, four independent directors named by each company, and one representative each from General Motors Corp. and Honda Motor Co.

77charger
02-19-2007, 02:04 PM
I got rid of xm in oct for sirius just got tired of hearing the same damn songs over and over on xm at times you can go thru 3 stations in a row and hear the same thing got old and lame.
I like the hair nation on sirius also but think that the nascar coverage is also better on sirius like the driver to crew chief communications too.

Baja Big Dog
02-19-2007, 02:07 PM
I heard FCC dis-allowed the merger???? :confused:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
02-19-2007, 02:49 PM
1st Wave 22.. !!!
Didn't you hear? They are abolishing that with the merge. Lifetime subscriptions are now null and void :jawdrop:
:devil:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
02-19-2007, 02:52 PM
I got rid of xm in oct for sirius just got tired of hearing the same damn songs over and over on xm at times you can go thru 3 stations in a row and hear the same thing got old and lame.
One factor in our switch was when XM started playing commercials.

squirt'nmyload
02-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Last time I checked into the lifetime thing you could transfer it twice, but it was a $75 fee to transfer it.
thanks for that info.....i would do it if thats the case:)

Firecracker
02-19-2007, 02:57 PM
thanks for that info.....i would do it if thats the case:)
Welcome :D
Here it is on the site: Subscribe for the lifetime of your radio! Pay ONLY $499.99 once and forget about bills. Plus, act soon and you can transfer your lifetime subscription to a different SIRIUS Receiver when you upgrade or replace your radio — up to three times — for only $75 per radio. Offer ends June 30, 2007. Hurry!
Pretty sweet deal if you think about it...

squirt'nmyload
02-19-2007, 02:58 PM
I like the hair nation on sirius also but think that the nascar coverage is also better on sirius like the driver to crew chief communications too.
i have both and i think sirius is better for howard and nfl but i'll tell ya that every friday i listen to classic rewind(howards off) and i hear some of the same songs every friday........actually i was listening to that channel today (because howard was off) and sure enough peter frampton-do you feel like i do came on....every time i have that channel on they play it........top tracks on xm is better IMO:)

squirt'nmyload
02-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Welcome :D
Here it is on the site: Subscribe for the lifetime of your radio! Pay ONLY $499.99 once and forget about bills. Plus, act soon and you can transfer your lifetime subscription to a different SIRIUS Receiver when you upgrade or replace your radio — up to three times — for only $75 per radio. Offer ends June 30, 2007. Hurry!
Pretty sweet deal if you think about it...
yes it is....i think it was 2 years ago when i last inquired about it.....guess i shoulda checked again!!!

Firecracker
02-19-2007, 03:04 PM
yes it is....i think it was 2 years ago when i last inquired about it.....guess i shoulda checked again!!!
Yeah... I do the every six months deal. Even that isn't too bad for the price. $51 for every six months. Even though you would never have to pay a bill again, giving up $500 at once would make me squeak a little bit, I'm kinda a cheap ass! :D

squirt'nmyload
02-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Yeah... I do the every six months deal. Even that isn't too bad for the price. $51 for every six months. Even though you would never have to pay a bill again, giving up $500 at once would make me squeak a little bit, I'm kinda a cheap ass! :D
i know all about being a cheap ass.......i own a jetboat:D :D

Firecracker
02-19-2007, 03:07 PM
i know all about being a cheap ass.......i own a jetboat:D :D
LMAO :cry:

squirt'nmyload
02-19-2007, 03:12 PM
LMAO :cry:
:)

BajaMike
02-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Howard basicly took XM down! It was either merge or fold, their subscriptions were dropping like a panties on a TJ hooker....
:D

Ziggy
02-19-2007, 05:20 PM
How much was that?I paid $399........just before they bumpd it up. They don't advertise it but I think you can still buy it if you ask.

Ziggy
02-19-2007, 05:26 PM
So far I transferred it once without any charge, and the guy on phone said I have some transfers still available. If in 4 months it all goes bad I didn't loose anything or gain anything.

Fast Freddy
02-19-2007, 06:30 PM
its a goodthing i bought the lifetime subscription to sirius satellite because my stock sure as hell aint makin me no $$$$$

anxious
02-19-2007, 06:58 PM
its a goodthing i bought the lifetime subscription to sirius satellite because my stock sure as hell aint makin me no $$$$$
same here, what did you buy yours at?