PDA

View Full Version : any mechs on the boards

rivergoer
01-31-2006, 09:58 AM
hey is anyone here a mech i need to get a service or a real good tune up on my suburban...so if anyone can hook me up with a good price that would be awsome..its a 93 4x4 3/4 ton with a 454......just put in spark pluge 2 weeks ago...

NOTALENT
01-31-2006, 10:01 AM
Theres not much to a tune up other then changing the plugs. unless you want to do the full tune up and change the wires, rotor, cap, plugs, and oil change. It should be F.I so theres no carburetor or other adjustments that need to be made.

SummitKarl
01-31-2006, 10:05 AM
hey is anyone here a mech i need to get a service or a real good tune up on my suburban...so if anyone can hook me up with a good price that would be awsome..its a 93 4x4 3/4 ton with a 454......just put in spark pluge 2 weeks ago...
don't forget the Rotor cap, Dist cap, plug wires, O2 sensor, Air cleaner and at least 3 tanks of gas with fuel injector cleaner. unless something is really wrong this usually makes all BAR84 pollution controlled cars run great :cool:

rivergoer
01-31-2006, 10:22 AM
don't forget the Rotor cap, Dist cap, plug wires, O2 sensor, Air cleaner and at least 3 tanks of gas with fuel injector cleaner. unless something is really wrong this usually makes all BAR84 pollution controlled cars run great :cool:
i changed all those about a year and a half ago with the exception of the o2 sensor..it has a year old k&n in it now...its just running kind of rough almost like its missing sometimes...so if it does need those things anyone have a hook up on some????? :)

rivergoer
01-31-2006, 10:23 AM
do you think the gap on the plugs could be bad..they are champion truck plugs platiinum edition.....the guy at the auto zone said thet came pre gaped...

NOTALENT
01-31-2006, 11:00 AM
do you think the gap on the plugs could be bad..they are champion truck plugs platiinum edition.....the guy at the auto zone said thet came pre gaped...
First off...Autzone doesnt know shit...always check the gap...2nd...IMO I like the AC Delco plugs the best.

NOTALENT
01-31-2006, 11:15 AM
oh yeah...is there a check engine light on??? if your o2 sensor was bad it would throw it on.

rivergoer
01-31-2006, 11:21 AM
no check eng light.....just running rough

SummitKarl
01-31-2006, 11:35 AM
no check eng light.....just running rough
dirty injectors most likely. or plug wire is leaking, wait till it's dark start the truck and look/listen for a spark, the radio is also a good detector of spark leak = ticking sound that follows the engine revs
how about the inline fuel filter did you change that
on a chevy I think its on the frame rail just under the drivers seat

rivergoer
01-31-2006, 12:30 PM
no i didnt change that...but it has only been running rough since i changed the plugs

Oldsquirt
01-31-2006, 01:00 PM
no i didnt change that...but it has only been running rough since i changed the plugs
And now you know the first place to look for the cause .... Check your plugs and plug wires. If it is running rough you should be able to pinpoint which cylinder(if it is only one) by simply pulling the wires off the plugs one at a time looking for the cylinder that does not change when you do this. Best to use insulated pliers and caution. An oscilloscope would pin it down in a heartbeat.

rivergoer
01-31-2006, 01:08 PM
i think i will just have someone look at it..i want to get all the fluids and shiat changed as well. incl rear diff and transfer case

460 jus getn it
01-31-2006, 01:14 PM
go back and tell him you want the ac delco plugs..............i worked for autozone for 5 years and champion aint pre gapped.............

rivergoer
01-31-2006, 01:19 PM
go back and tell him you want the ac delco plugs..............i worked for autozone for 5 years and champion aint pre gapped.............
what is the gap supposed to be set at???

HCS
01-31-2006, 01:20 PM
I have the same truck & motor.
Mine has been stalling and running like shit.
So I pulled the distributor cap and took a close look, come to find out that the pick up had grenaded.
I can't believe it ran at all! So I have a new distributor on the way.

HCS
01-31-2006, 01:21 PM
By the way. Run AC plugs.

460 jus getn it
01-31-2006, 01:25 PM
probally .35-.40..............what else you want to know. chances are you dertroyed a wire when you took out the plugs. wires cap rotor and o2 sensor and you should be good.............

Oldsquirt
01-31-2006, 01:27 PM
...... chances are you dertroyed a wire when you took out the plugs. .............
Yup. Or cracked a plug putting it in. Didn't happen to drop one did you?

rivergoer
01-31-2006, 01:28 PM
cool ill play with it this weekend and see what hapens...a new fuel filter and 02 sensor should give it a little better gas milage to right??

460 jus getn it
01-31-2006, 01:28 PM
cr43ts are the plugs you want. dont let them give you the bosch. there junk.......

HCS
01-31-2006, 01:30 PM
cr43ts are the plugs you want. dont let them give you the bosch. there junk.......
EXACTLY.

460 jus getn it
cool ill play with it this weekend and see what hapens...a new fuel filter and 02 sensor should give it a little better gas milage to right??
yeppers.........but the combo of all of them will be your best bet......80 bucks tops and you will have a complete tune up......just a word of advice. if they offer you the anti-seeze, use it................

Oldsquirt
Typically a platinum plug should be about spot-on from the factory. You should not re-gap them unless you know how. May sound simple but the most common technique and tool will damage the center electrode. You must not use any tool that puts pressure on the center electrode of a platinum or iridium plug.

460 jus getn it
01-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Typically a platinum plug should be about spot-on from the factory. You should not re-gap them unless you know how. May sound simple but the most common technique and tool will damage the center electrode. You must not use any tool that puts pressure on the center electrode of a platinum or iridium plug.
95 plus is when they started using platinum plugs in chevys.......so might argue, but in that truck a regular copper core plug will run ten time better.

Oldsquirt
01-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Fuel filter is always a good idea. Leave the O2 sensor alone. It is not a "tune-up" item. If you INSIST on changing it, buy it from the dealer ONLY! We see too many issues with aftermarket sensors.

rivergoer
01-31-2006, 01:33 PM
cool $80 tops...for wires cap rotor 02 sens and filter

Oldsquirt
01-31-2006, 01:33 PM
95 plus is when they started using platinum plugs in chevys.......so might argue, but in that truck a regular copper core plug will run ten time better.
Only mentioned it since he had installed them. I also agree that the OE spec plug is the better choice.

rivergoer
01-31-2006, 01:37 PM
so should i get rid of the new plugs and get the ac delco plugs or will the ones that i bought be fine???

460 jus getn it
01-31-2006, 01:40 PM
so should i get rid of the new plugs and get the ac delco plugs or will the ones that i bought be fine???
take then back and get the ac's. you will be better off...................

HCS
01-31-2006, 01:41 PM
Personally I'd switch to the AC Delco.

Oldsquirt
01-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Personally I would install the manufacturer specified plugs in your truck. That means the AC Delco.
When you pull out the plugs you bought and installed, look closely on the insulator for any hairline cracks. Also take a good look at the plug wires. If you have an ohmmeter, measure the resistance. It pays to FIND the problem and make the necessary repair and then confirm the repair, rather than just throwing a bunch of stuff on and hoping that you fix it. You will learn a lot more this way.

roostwear
01-31-2006, 01:47 PM
One word.... Seafoam. Use it in the gas, oil and dump a can down the throttle body to decarb the intake valves and chambers. You won't beleive the difference it makes. Idle smooths out, gas mileage will more than likely go up also. I've done this to 1 carbed and 2 TBI vehicles and the results were great.

rivergoer
01-31-2006, 01:50 PM
so auto zone should take them back

HCS
01-31-2006, 01:50 PM
Personally I would install the manufacturer specified plugs in your truck. That means the AC Delco.
When you pull out the plugs you bought and installed, look closely on the insulator for any hairline cracks. Also take a good look at the plug wires. If you have an ohmmeter, measure the resistance. It pays to FIND the problem and make the necessary repair and then confirm the repair, rather than just throwing a bunch of stuff on and hoping that you fix it. You will learn a lot more this way.
Why do I find humor in that? ;) :D
There's nothing like working for the dealer. :D

Oldsquirt
01-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Why do I find humor in that? ;) :D
There's nothing like working for the dealer. :D
Now, now, Tom. There are still those of us out there who look for the answers as opposed to "shotgunning" the problem. We also are not "flat-rate". When it comes to helping someone I always insist on the more educational approach.
By the way, are you SURE you don't use Motorcraft/Autolite plugs in your truck? ;)

460 jus getn it
01-31-2006, 01:59 PM
so auto zone should take them back
they will..................just tell them you want the ac's. these didnt work in my truck .its that easy

rivergoer
01-31-2006, 02:01 PM
cool ill do that hopefully i get the time this weekend....

HCS
01-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Now, now, Tom. There are still those of us out there who look for the answers as opposed to "shotgunning" the problem. We also are not "flat-rate". When it comes to helping someone I always insist on the more educational approach.
By the way, are you SURE you don't use Motorcraft/Autolite plugs in your truck? ;)
I throw parts at the techs around here like there baseballs. :rollside:
Autolites ran good in my Bronco. :rolleyes:

djunkie
01-31-2006, 02:30 PM
Well I didn't read this whole thread so I don't know if someone has recommended this yet. First of all is that a throttle body motor? Can't remember when the cut off was. If its still running rough after complete tune then I have a couple sugestions. Make sure you change that fuel filter every 10k miles. Very important. Also if it is a throttle body motor then it may not be a bad idea to change the throttle body gasket. Very common for those to start leaking. Will caus it to idle and run rough. Also its very easy to rebuild the throttle body. Hit up the dealer for a kit and do it. Cheap and easy fix especially if you are gonna have it off to change the gasket. And be very careful when tightening the throttle body back on. Its only held on by 3 bolts and they do strip VERY easily. Not that I've done it before. :rolleyes: :rollside:

Oldsquirt
01-31-2006, 02:32 PM
I throw parts at the techs around here like there baseballs. :rollside:
Our parts guys have to carry the parts out to us and set them on our workbenches. I do always say "Thank You", though. I'm polite. :D

Kindsvater Flat
01-31-2006, 02:56 PM
I have the same truck & motor.
Mine has been stalling and running like shit.
So I pulled the distributor cap and took a close look, come to find out that the pick up had grenaded.
I can't believe it ran at all! So I have a new distributor on the way.
That is so common its not funny. I keep a spare dist. at work just for this reason. Cheaply made parts. Also remember to use the old screws for the cap or scrap off the locktite that they put on them because with an aged dist it will crack it. 93 is before the cross fire cap but look close for carbon arcing in it. Plugs are a given. You can ohm out the wires but I would replace them anyways. After time the cores get brittle and by moving them around or tugging on them to remove them from the plug you can damage them yourself. Another issue with those are the coil. Look at the side of the where the metal frame is. You can see where it starts leaking to ground. This is caused by high resistence due to all the other parts of the ignition being worn.

Kindsvater Flat
01-31-2006, 02:58 PM
Our parts guys have to carry the parts out to us and set them on our workbenches. I do always say "Thank You", though. I'm polite. :D
You're lucky I have to get all my own parts but then again my work supplies all my tools..... well except for the coffee cup.:D

Kindsvater Flat
01-31-2006, 03:00 PM
agree with the paid tech.

HCS
01-31-2006, 03:11 PM
That is so common its not funny. I keep a spare dist. at work just for this reason. Cheaply made parts. Also remember to use the old screws for the cap or scrap off the locktite that they put on them because with an aged dist it will crack it. 93 is before the cross fire cap but look close for carbon arcing in it. Plugs are a given. You can ohm out the wires but I would replace them anyways. After time the cores get brittle and by moving them around or tugging on them to remove them from the plug you can damage them yourself. Another issue with those are the coil. Look at the side of the where the metal frame is. You can see where it starts leaking to ground. This is caused by high resistence due to all the other parts of the ignition being worn.
Thanks for the tips. I'm goin all new of course.

BOBALOO
01-31-2006, 03:22 PM
It is probably the non oem platinum plugs causing the problem if it started AFTER the plug swap.
When I was wrenching we would see lots of backyard mechanics putting in platinum plugs based on Pep Boys recommendation and sometimes they ran right and sometimes they did not.
The ford Taurus 3.8l took a regular plug for some years and a platinum one for the later years , mix them up and you got a miss.
You might check to see if you swapped the #5 and #7 wires also, it will run rough if they are swapped and it is easy to check.
Good luck.

HCS
01-31-2006, 03:26 PM
It is probably the non oem platinum plugs causing the problem if it started AFTER the plug swap.
When I was wrenching we would see lots of backyard mechanics putting in platinum plugs based on Pep Boys recommendation and sometimes they ran right and sometimes they did not.
The ford Taurus 3.8l took a regular plug for some years and a platinum one for the later years , mix them up and you got a miss.
You might check to see if you swapped the #5 and #7 wires also, it will run rough if they are swapped and it is easy to check.
Good luck.
Now he's swaping wires! :eek: :D

SummitKarl
01-31-2006, 04:39 PM
what are you trying to do break his truck :rolleyes: :) Autolite man Autolite :hammer2: :boxingguy :cool:

HCS
01-31-2006, 06:14 PM
Here's what I got.
1993 Chevy Sub 454.
127,000 miles. By the way, don't put Autolite in your Chevy. :)
This is what I found. And it still ran!!!
I bought this truck used 1 year ago, so back off guys. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63793_Chevy_002.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63793_Chevy_004.jpg

SummitKarl
01-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Here's what I got.
1993 Chevy Sub 454.
127,000 miles. By the way, don't put Autolite in your Chevy. :)
This is what I found. And it still ran!!!
I bought this truck used 1 year ago, so back off guys. :D
ok I am guessing ........Flood recovery? :rolleyes: :)

HCS
02-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Sure looks like it doesn't it. :rolleyes: