PDA

View Full Version : Placecraft and Lightning..??

finsfan4life
02-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Looking into both these boats, opinions please....thx....!

HOOTER SLED-
02-25-2007, 02:10 AM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Placecraft.:devil:

Red Lickin
02-25-2007, 02:40 AM
are you asking about V or TUNNEL haul?

socalmofo
02-25-2007, 07:39 AM
I have a Lightning 24xs and I am very happy with it.

beaverretriever
02-25-2007, 09:01 AM
We have a Lightning. We are pleased. Some of the best looking gel coats around.
What model are you looking at?
I don't know much about Placecraft. I do like the looks of the new 23 coming out.
If it came down to who has the better looking gel, Lightning hands down. Sorry for the pic being so big.
Place Craft.
http://www.placecraftboats.net/images/dm_0042.jpg
Lightning.
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/759976/87671888_1.jpg

bigq
02-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Placecraft....

Hotcobra270
02-25-2007, 09:40 AM
for those that like placecraft over lighting, Can I ask why you like them more?
I've seem several lightings and they seem well built, I have yet to see a placecraft..

Jyruiz
02-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Looking into both these boats, opinions please....thx....!
Welcome fellow fins fan.

Mandelon
02-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Placecraft has been a low volume builder for a long time. Good reputation. Boat's seem a little different looking, they were one of the deckboat pioneers, that's for sure. I don't think they get much credit for that.
Lightning is a relative newcomer that bought some older Ultra molds, that I think came originally from DCB....others on here will know more. The ownership seems to have a less than stellar reputation. Can't say for sure, but that's what I have read on here.
Perception of the builder has an influence on value.

dumbandyoung
02-25-2007, 03:56 PM
ULTRA!...
theres a sick one in spam

909punk
02-25-2007, 04:43 PM
We have a couple of Placecraft's in our group.
Here is my buddy Ed's
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1816690804

beaverretriever
02-25-2007, 05:50 PM
I can't wait to see the new 23 Place. We may go to a small deck next yr and if I feel they can spray a boat up to my standards, they may get looked at.
My problem with Place is that the gel work doesn't seem that good. I mean look at the two boats I posted above. The Place looks like a kid did it. The fades suck and the flames are horrible (and that is a boat they put on their site!). I know Lightning has got a bad rep due to some less than favorable customer service (I never had one problem), but their Gels are some of the most up to date, smoothest fades, nice pin lines, and color choices around. IMHO, their fades are second to none. What fun is it to have a really well built boat if it looks like a 12 yr old child tried coloring between the lines.
I really had trouble when I went to by my most recent boat. Finding a builder that would lay down sweet looking gel for a reasonalbe price. Even some really high end builders (no names mentioned, but if someone ask, I will post.:devil:) There are few builders in my opinion that can fade worth a damn.
As I stated in another thread about Lightning; "are they a DCB or Skater?" no but they are also a lot less expensive but a good boat for the money. Will it be my next boat? Who knows?
I wouldn't answer this thread by just saying "Placecraft!" or "Lightning!". I don't know enough about Placecraft to form an opinion except the gel and graphics are not that hot. To just answer "Placecraft!" without stating any kind of reason why is just lame. I'm sure most people on here have not been up close to even form an opinion of a Lightning or a Placecraft.
I think most builders offer a decent boat. Some are better than others. You get what you pay for to a certain degree.
All the people on here that actually own a Lightning are happy with it. I have heard great things about Placecraft as well. I personally like the boats, but I feel the gel coats are below par.
I would love to see a Place in person to check out the build quality. I'm looking forword to it.
You need to go look at both in person to form your opinion. Decide what you are really looking for. Place is known for their decks. Lightning is now making some sweet looking decks as well (basically Orion molds).
Good luck in your search.

Throttle
02-25-2007, 07:05 PM
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/759976/87671888_1.jpg
is this Ultra's 23 mold?
:idea:

beaverretriever
02-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Yep. That is the 23xs mold. Many people have used it. I think Eliminator, Ultra, Cobra and a few others have used it. Cobra still make a boat that is identical. It is a great platform.

beaverretriever
02-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Looks like it may be a pretty cool ride. Hmmmm 525 power? That would be sick.
http://www.placecraftboats.net/files/23_sport.jpg

knimie
02-25-2007, 08:20 PM
We bought our Lightning a little over 2 years ago and absolutely love it!

socalmofo
02-25-2007, 08:24 PM
is this Ultra's 23 mold?
:idea:
Actually it was Eliminator, DCB, then Ultra's mold. Many have used it.

Throttle
02-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Yep. That is the 23xs mold. Many people have used it. I think Eliminator, Ultra, Cobra and a few others have used it. Cobra still make a boat that is identical. It is a great platform.
Not identical, the Cobra is a true 23 (it is 15 inches bigger than Ultra's)

jbtrailerjim
02-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Uh Huh, Let Jeff Bohn keep telling you that. The Cobra 230 Razor is a copy of the 23XS which used to be a Ultra's mold. How do you think Cobra started in building boats?

socalmofo
02-25-2007, 08:54 PM
I already see where this thread is heading - Ultra is Great, and Lightning, Cobra, Orion and others are no good because they have had ties to Ultra....:rolleyes:
As to the question originally asked, You have THREE(3) ACTUAL LIGHTNING OWNERS that are very happy with the product. :idea:

beaverretriever
02-25-2007, 08:59 PM
I humbly disagree. They are identical. If they added 15"s, it must have been in the tailpipes;) , because I have had my boat next to the 230 more than once and they are exactly the same, except mine was better looking. :D
The only difference I have ever seen is where Cobra mounts their rear grab handles. LOL.

jbtrailerjim
02-25-2007, 09:07 PM
I already see where this thread is heading - Ultra is Great, and Lightning, Cobra, Orion and others are no good because they have had ties to Ultra....:rolleyes:
As to the question originally asked, You have THREE(3) ACTUAL LIGHTNING OWNERS that are very happy with the product. :idea:
You're the only one that has made that assumption. I have not read any bad comments about any of the builders in this thread yet. Are you already getting defensive about Lightning? I also have not read anybody bragging that Ultra is superior.

Throttle
02-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Uh Huh, Let Jeff Bohn keep telling you that. The Cobra 230 Razor is a copy of the 23XS which used to be a Ultra's mold. How do you think Cobra started in building boats?
right... mmmm...

Throttle
02-25-2007, 09:14 PM
I am not goin to get wet in this one... I am not familiar with the boats in question in this thread... I was suprised to see the mold being used by lightning... just remember... be happy with your boat, you don't have to be happy with mine...:D

ULTRA26 # 1
02-25-2007, 09:15 PM
I believe that Martin Casillas is sparying Lightning boats. There probabally isn't a better fade guy in the gel business. The lighning, like the one posted, began life as an Eliminator, DCB, (22 Extreme) to Ultra, (23XS) to Cobra (23 Razor) and Lighting and others. Very nicely designed boat. IMO, the boat is to light to provide a stable, comfortable ride on summer Havasu weekends. However, still a nice boat. Don't know much about the Place in lake chop. I happened to be on the Place website, and there is no longer any mention of their boats. Seems to me that Domin8er (sp) might have bought the Place molds as I've seen the Place hull with a Domin8er badge on it at.
With regard to gel coat, the person spaying generally works from someone's elses drawings and/or ideas. Given a dull gel design, the best gel coater in the business, is going to spray a dull looking boat, and vice versa to a degree. Find someone good at gel design (like a John West) to help.
Just to clarify something.
Cobra bgean as Ultra of Montclair, Lightning began as West Coat Ultra Boats. Martin sprayed and layed up Ultra's and now sprays and lays for Lightning and his own company Orion. While Cobra begining was also as and a part of Ultra, Cobra has developed many new and inovative designs, which it builds with very high quaality. Three totally different builders, regardless of their roots.
Just my .04
John M

beaverretriever
02-25-2007, 09:16 PM
right... mmmm...
I don't know anything about an Ultra mold getting Cobra going in business, but I do know the 23xs and the 230 are the same thing. I would like to see where they added 15" to the Razor. Nothing wrong with sharing molds. The Xs is a great hull.
Ours runs over 60 with a small block and pretty loaded up. That is faster than a lot of big blocks. Plus I can go 2 days without re-fueling.

beaverretriever
02-25-2007, 09:21 PM
I happened to be on the Place website, and there is no longer any mention of their boats. Seems to me that Domin8er (sp) might have bought the Place molds as I've seen the Place hull with a Domin8er badge on it at.
John M
Place is still around and building some new boats (check out the 23 I posted).
I'm sure I don't know any better because I have never owned bigger, but I was supprised at how well out boat handled the chop in Havi. Bigger is always better, but it does well.
We will be looking next Winter for somthing new. Not sure yet. I actually thought about adding some more power to our boat but I don't feel it would be cost effective. We will just buy new and enjoy what we have now.

jbtrailerjim
02-25-2007, 09:23 PM
I believe that Martin Casillas is sparying Lightning boats. There probabally isn't a better fade guy in the gel business.
John M
You got that right. Lightning is very lucky to have someone as talented as Martin spraying and laying up their hulls. He is one of the best for sure. I'm just glad he taught Jaime at Ultra so well.:cool:

Throttle
02-25-2007, 09:34 PM
I don't know anything about an Ultra mold getting Cobra going in business, but I do know the 23xs and the 230 are the same thing. I would like to see where they added 15" to the Razor. Nothing wrong with sharing molds.
Cobra used to be Ultra, Jeff and John went different ways, maybe 6-7 years ago... Both are doing for well for themselves...

ULTRA26 # 1
02-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Place is still around and building some new boats (check out the 23 I posted).
I'm sure I don't know any better because I have never owned bigger, but I was supprised at how well out boat handled the chop in Havi. Bigger is always better, but it does well.
We will be looking next Winter for somthing new. Not sure yet. I actually thought about adding some more power to our boat but I don't feel it would be cost effective. We will just buy new and enjoy what we have now.
I'm glad Place is still building. They are good people. I did see see one of their 23"s at Jack Smith in Needles,, with Domin8er's logo on it. This thing sounded sick, like a tripple digit boat for sure. Turns out the guy who owns and I live about 2 miles apart. Nice, nice boat.
John M

Throttle
02-25-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm glad Place is still building. They are good people. I did see see one of their 23"s at Jack Smith in Needles,, with Domin8er's logo on it. This thing sound sick, like a tripple digit boat for sure. Turns out the guy who owns and I live about 2 miles apart. Nice, nice boat.
John M
a 23 runnin tripple digits, holy shit... i am out...

ULTRA26 # 1
02-25-2007, 09:49 PM
a 23 runnin tripple digits, holy shit... i am out...
This 22 Place hull was running a blown big block. Beefed up drive twin ram hyd steering. I heard him hit the river and get in it some. NOT WITH ME IN IT.
JM

bigq
02-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Dominator has the old Placecraft 22 deckboat molds. Placecraft has the new 28 and a new 23. I forget who does the gel for them and lays the boat up. Placecraft does a nice job on the rigging and seems not to cut corners. I have never seen a lightning, but the last time I heard about them was when Martin was doing somew layups over at Genisis off the 90 Fwy. They had several molds including the 247XS (old DCB and Ultra).

finsfan4life
02-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. One of u guys mentions if I was debating over a V or Cat, what's ur advice about that ??? And to the beaver guy that sent me your buddies video, what kind of motor do u recommend. If I go with P.C, I still deciding on the 6.2 or the 496 mag ??? Once again thx for the input....

THOR
02-26-2007, 07:19 AM
My advice is dont believe anyone who tries to tell you that a 23' boat is 15" longer than a 24' boat. Pretty funny how people buy into crap like that.

socalmofo
02-26-2007, 08:10 AM
My advice is dont believe anyone who tries to tell you that a 23' boat is 15" longer than a 24' boat. Pretty funny how people buy into crap like that.
That's funny, If the cobra 23' is 15" Longer than all the other 23xs out there wouldnt that make it a 24'?:confused:

beaverretriever
02-26-2007, 08:53 AM
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. One of u guys mentions if I was debating over a V or Cat, what's ur advice about that ??? And to the beaver guy that sent me your buddies video, what kind of motor do u recommend. If I go with P.C, I still deciding on the 6.2 or the 496 mag ??? Once again thx for the input....
I didn't send a video. :)
Don't get me wrong I love cats. I would like to get one. Before you buy one check for insurance. I will bet you will be back on here looking for a V. Even deck boat insurance is getting high. When you start getting people on here that say they have Allstate or Farmers, a 500hp+ cat, and pay 600 a yr are either lying to you or their insurance company about their boat. Unless they were grandfathered in or something, insurance for a cat is outrageous.
I checked 15 companies, yes 15. I did find some cat insurance. For a 496 powered 24-26 cat the cheapest I found was over 2000.00 a yr. I just think that is ridiculous for a boat. I pay 500.00 dollars a yr for my 06 V. Am I willing to pay a little more for a bigger faster boat, yes, but over 4 times? Probably not.
Good luck...
BTW, if you don't find a boat, I will sell you mine;)

finsfan4life
02-26-2007, 09:08 AM
I didn't send a video. :)
Don't get me wrong I love cats. I would like to get one. Before you buy one check for insurance. I will bet you will be back on here looking for a V. Even deck boat insurance is getting high. When you start getting people on here that say they have Allstate or Farmers, a 500hp+ cat, and pay 600 a yr are either lying to you or their insurance company about their boat. Unless they were grandfathered in or something, insurance for a cat is outrageous.
I checked 15 companies, yes 15. I did find some cat insurance. For a 496 powered 24-26 cat the cheapest I found was over 2000.00 a yr. I just think that is ridiculous for a boat. I pay 500.00 dollars a yr for my 06 V. Am I willing to pay a little more for a bigger faster boat, yes, but over 4 times? Probably not.
Good luck...
BTW, if you don't find a boat, I will sell you mine;)
Sorry buddy, I thought video was urs...once again thx for the input...

ULTRA26 # 1
02-26-2007, 09:44 AM
That's funny, If the cobra 23' is 15" Longer than all the other 23xs out there wouldnt that make it a 24'?:confused:
The 23XS, aka Eliminator and DCB 22 Extreme, was not 23 feet at centerline. As I recall, it was 22' 4". I doubt that Cobra added 15 inches. and called it a 23.
John M