PDA

View Full Version : Betta Fish

blown428fe
02-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Hey this is Mike's wife and I need an expert on Betta Fishes, I am getting too many condradictions to them one site says guppies can be in the same tank as them and another site says no. I need to know what kind of fish can be put in the same non-filtered tank as my male betta fish. Anyone know the answer to this?? Any help will be appreciated. Also what kind of things can go in their tank as far as plants, etc? I know their fins can get ripped with certain things. Thanks in advance for your responses.....-Darcy

John.
02-25-2007, 11:24 AM
i say toss a couple guppies in and see what happens. could be an interesting experiment.

Wet Dream
02-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Go to aquariacentral.com and do some research, then flush the betta down the toilet and get some real fish.

Mandelon
02-25-2007, 11:40 AM
We have a couple of those beta fish. Our cats like to drink the water out of their bowls.
I have put Betas in with other fish without a problem. Of course, we used to put the betas in together and bet on which one would win. Kinda like a limp cock fight.....:D
Fishdome...two fish enter....one fish leaves.....:idea:

Baja Big Dog
02-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Used to have tuesday night cards,,,everyone bought a beta fish and we would bet on which one would win the fight....after a few beers of course...
Better than springer, we called it "funky white boy cock fights"

HammerDown
02-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Hey this is Mike's wife and I need an expert on Betta Fishes, I am getting too many condradictions to them one site says guppies can be in the same tank as them and another site says no. I need to know what kind of fish can be put in the same non-filtered tank as my male betta fish. Anyone know the answer to this?? Any help will be appreciated. Also what kind of things can go in their tank as far as plants, etc? I know their fins can get ripped with certain things. Thanks in advance for your responses.....-Darcy
Here's the Low-Down...
Many popular freshwater and saltwater aquarium fish have a natural tendency to school. In the wild, many of the danios, barbs, tetras, tangs and wrasses are found in groups of dozens, hundreds or even thousands. Attempting to keep one or "a pair" of one of these species is not only unnatural, but may cause compatibility problems as well.
Schooling fish are often seen to be continuously "nipping" at others in their group. Perhaps this is a way for each fish to define its personal space - or maybe it's just plain playfulness. This generally causes no problem, since each fish is both attacker and attackee on occassion, and there are far too many fish in the group for any one to dominate. But if two such fish are kept in an aquarium, one quite commonly gets the upper hand on the other, and persues it mercilessly. If the weaker fish isn't simply nipped to the point of exhaustion, it is often intimidated into hiding - especially at mealtimes - then becomes even weaker and eventually succumbs to disease.
The reason you don't want to keep (male) Bettas in with (some) other fish is because some other fish will nip at the Bettas Fins till their gone...one fish in particular is the Tiger Barb or almost any fish from the "Barb/Tetra" family.
Now if you fave some floating plants/foliage at the top of your tank thats a good thing, as this is where the Bettas like to hide and it offers them some protection from Fin nibblers...they only need an inch or so of water to be happy. Very easy fish to breed, but you'll want them in a separated tank.

shockwaveharry
02-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm not a "fish" person, but I inhearted a beta and another tank of guppies and some others. Tried putting the beta in with the others on the advise of the girl at the fish store but he was pissed all the time, flairing at everyone and just looked unhappy. I keep him in a 10 gal tank by himself and he's fine in there.
Anyone who puts fish in a tank and watches them kill eachother is fukin sick. I know there just fish, but for Christs sake... :(

Wet Dream
02-25-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm not a "fish" person, but I inhearted a beta and another tank of guppies and some others. Tried putting the beta in with the others on the advise of the girl at the fish store but he was pissed all the time, flairing at everyone and just looked unhappy. I keep him in a 10 gal tank by himself and he's fine in there.
Anyone who puts fish in a tank and watches them kill eachother is fukin sick. I know there just fish, but for Christs sake... :(
Are you shittin' me? Have you ever heard of the food chain? I have 3 large Oscars in a huge tank and we but 30 goldfish a week to feed these guys. Talk about entertaining. Some of the feeders get the hint and try to hide behind the pickup tube, while others just become breakfast. Barbaric as it may seem, its entertaining to watch them chase the feeders. Here is a dose of reality...these feeder fish are bred for the sole purpose of becoming waste at the bottom of the tank.

shockwaveharry
02-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Are you shittin' me?
You're feeding your fish... Nothing wrong with that. :)

Wet Dream
02-25-2007, 05:59 PM
You're feeding your fish... Nothing wrong with that. :)
Brutal, but fun. ;)

JetBoatRich
02-25-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm not a "fish" person, just looked unhappy.:(
How do you know when a fish looks unhappy:eek:

shockwaveharry
02-25-2007, 06:42 PM
How do you know when a fish looks unhappy:eek:
Sad fish...
http://www.soulsphere.org/stuffage/pinkfish/sadfish.png
Happy fish...
http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/~aoki/Teaching/objet_a/gaze/nemo.gif

JetBoatRich
02-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Sad fish is crying:eek:
Crying in water, how can you tell

Mandelon
02-25-2007, 07:40 PM
They don't kill each other, they fight. Its like underwater boxing.

blown428fe
02-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks for all the advice-Hey my Betta Fish might not be a piranna, yet he is still cool with spikey looking fins. And what do you know typical male "A LONER " who doesn't like anyone else but himself!!!! Thanks especially to the nice replys not to say the others were a little humorus and you guys really need a better hobby then watching fish fight!!! I took everything in and will choose to keep Spike alone...-Darcy (Mike's wife)

YeLLowBoaT
02-25-2007, 08:23 PM
for the most part betas will attack fins. Normally they won't attack fish with very small fins. but the guppys with the fancy fins, they will most likly attack. its a 50/50 shot if they will kill them or not. they are best kept in small containers, by themselfs.

a catered life
02-26-2007, 02:18 AM
Go to aquariacentral.com and do some research, then flush the betta down the toilet and get some real fish.
that what i was thinking:D

40FlatDeck
02-26-2007, 08:08 AM
Are you shittin' me? Have you ever heard of the food chain? I have 3 large Oscars in a huge tank and we but 30 goldfish a week to feed these guys. Talk about entertaining. Some of the feeders get the hint and try to hide behind the pickup tube, while others just become breakfast. Barbaric as it may seem, its entertaining to watch them chase the feeders. Here is a dose of reality...these feeder fish are bred for the sole purpose of becoming waste at the bottom of the tank.
You must have a huge tank! I have one Oscar in a 75 gallon and he is a messy eater for sure.:D I used to give him feeder fish also but everyone was telling me that they carry so much disease so now it's just pellets and some veggies. He is over 13 inches and would demolish anything that I would put in the tank.:D