PDA

View Full Version : 23' Deck. What Outboards?

beaverretriever
02-25-2007, 08:04 PM
As probably noted, I really like the 23 deck. I have never seen one with whackers, but John says he didn't put a built in swim deck so it could be rigged with an outboard or two.
Would you run two on that thing? Would a single 225 Sport Xs be way under powered? Those fricken bass boats do 90 with the Merc 225xs but I know they are really flat and don't weigh much. Im sure someone would have to go with at least a 250 to get any speed.
My wife and I want to buy a new boat next yr, and Allstate said they would insure it with the Merc 350 mag 300hp or a 225 whacker for dirt cheap.
I think a color matched outboards would be sick on that boat.
Is there any pictures floating around of a 23 with an outboard or two?
Mind you, I don't much about outboards.

Singleton
02-25-2007, 08:15 PM
I am not sure about the 23, but the 26 does not have a built in swim step, so you can put whackers on it.

vmjtc3
02-25-2007, 10:23 PM
I would say twins for sure. The deck in my sig line hs a single 250 and if you are happy running high 50's low 60's then its the way to go. If you want to run with the big dogs you are going to want twins. Yeah I know different boat hull design and what not but I cant see them being more than a few mph faster with the same power.

shippingguy
02-26-2007, 07:52 AM
I would say a single would be good on the 23 and twins on the new 26. Just my .02.

bkplesh
02-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Go for two. two is always better.

beaverretriever
02-26-2007, 06:26 PM
We will probably buy a new boat this coming winter. I'm sure I will switch 10 times what I want. I would really like to get a deck or cat, but I think we are going to have trouble insuring it. At least for a decent amount. :(
Would twin outboards be a lot more than a 496ho or 525? I have no idea what they cost. I do like the looks though.

shippingguy
02-26-2007, 06:29 PM
We will probably buy a new boat this coming winter. I'm sure I will switch 10 times what I want. I would really like to get a deck or cat, but I think we are going to have trouble insuring it. At least for a decent amount. :(
Do not overkill the power and you will be able to get insurance at a good rate. A nice package on the 26 Deck or 27 Shadow would be the 525 or you could go with the Merc 600 on the 27 as well.

Singleton
02-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Would twin outboards be a lot more than a 496ho or 525? I have no idea what they cost. I do like the looks though.
Just got numbers for my 26 deck from StateFarm yesterday.
$800 a year for (valued the boat @ 110K, trailer @ $7500, and personal items at $7500). I also have an umbrella policy so that keep the price down. Also, FYI - StateFarm will not write anything with over 500hp.

ULTRA26 # 1
02-27-2007, 10:39 AM
$800 a year for (valued the boat @ 110K, trailer @ $7500, and personal items at $7500). I also have an umbrella policy so that keep the price down. Also, FYI - StateFarm will not write anything with over 500hp.
Did you end up with an HO or a 525???
Nice looking 26
John M

Singleton
02-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Did you end up with an HO or a 525???
Nice looking 26
John M
I ended up going with a HO. I am not looking for a mid 80 mph boat (525), the 496HO will allow me low 70's and that is all I need at this time. I will end up with some Dana or CMI headers in a year or so (upper 70's low 80's). At this time in life (two little kids that enjoy the river) I don't need to go 90mph up and down the river, if I get that need for speed, I will purchase a 27. Anyhing over 90 in the 26 is not safe IMO.
Agreement price with SF is set high based on the options going into boat

jrgaudettes
02-27-2007, 11:30 AM
I ended up going with a HO. I am not looking for a mid 80 mph boat (525), the 496HO will allow me low 70's and that is all I need at this time. I will end up with some Dana or CMI headers in a year or so (upper 70's low 80's). At this time in life (two little kids that enjoy the river) I don't need to go 90mph up and down the river, if I get that need for speed, I will purchase a 27. Anyhing over 90 in the 26 is not safe IMO.
You will be happy with the HO. I have the same set up. Also I pay close to the same for Ins. through State Farm also. Congrats, enjoy the new boat.
Ultra26 has the CMI's, I will be going with the Dana's due to price and installation.

ULTRA26 # 1
02-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Agree. The 26's perform well with CMI'd or Dana'd HO's Deckboats are great but they are windy for most on board. The Dana windshields are a nice option.
Look forward to not being the only Ultra 26 Deck on the water this season.
John M

beaverretriever
02-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Man, that is cheap. I can't find insurance that cheap anywhere. I will have to check with them. We just changed everything over to Allstate and they don't write hi-po boats. I should have checked with State Farm.

Singleton
02-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Agree. The 26's perform well with CMI'd or Dana'd HO's Deckboats are great but they are windy for most on board. The Dana windshields are a nice option.
Look forward to not being the only Ultra 26 Deck on the water this season.
John M
See you on the river.
The Dana windshields were the first option added. Those things are not cheap, but based on everyone I have talked to (JW and Holly), they are worth every penny.

ULTRA26 # 1
02-27-2007, 01:34 PM
See you on the river.
The Dana windshields were the first option added. Those things are not cheap, but based on everyone I have talked to (JW and Holly), they are worth every penny.
I haven't had the chance to even use my windshields yet. I have had the folding type on all of my previous boats, but due to the height of the 26 on the trailer, the folding type were not an option. I experianced the windshields on Mike and Holly's 27. They worked so well that my 26 now has them. (not cheap is right) Approximately, when will your 26 be ready to roll?
John M

Singleton
02-27-2007, 01:40 PM
I haven't had the chance to even use my windshields yet. I have had the folding type on all of my previous boats, but due to the height of the 26 on the trailer, the folding type were not an option. I experianced the windshields on Mike and Holly's 27. They worked so well that my 26 now has them. (not cheap is right) Approximately, when will your 26 be ready to roll?
John M
Looking to have it early to mid April. First trip to Havi will be to watch the big boys play at the Desert Storm Poker run.

ULTRA26 # 1
02-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Looking to have it early to mid April. First trip to Havi will be to watch the big boys play at the Desert Storm Poker run.
See you on the water
JM

jrgaudettes
02-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Ok, I have a question regarding the wind shields. Me being 6'1 would these still be usefull for me? Or would I be better off with the fold down type?

Singleton
02-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Ok, I have a question regarding the wind shields. Me being 6'1 would these still be usefull for me? Or would I be better off with the fold down type?
I am 6' and they are going to work. They go up 6" so I think you would be fine. Ask shippingguy, he would know

jrgaudettes
02-27-2007, 01:52 PM
I am 6' and they are going to work. They go up 6" so I think you would be fine. Ask shippingguy, he would know
Cool thanks, Maybe I can hitch a ride and check yours on John's out first. As its more expensive to add after the build then during. Shippingguy has a 27 which is deeper than ours so there might be a difference in the over all height.

ULTRA26 # 1
02-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Cool thanks, Maybe I can hitch a ride and check yours on John's out first. As its more expensive to add after the build then during. Shippingguy has a 27 which is deeper than ours so there might be a difference in the over all height.
Actually, it seemed that sitting in Shippingguy's 27 felt as high if not higher than my 26. I am only 5'10" . Leo, any time.
John M

shippingguy
02-27-2007, 02:00 PM
The winshields should work the same as on my 27. I am 6'3 and they are fine. The seat bases are 2 inches shorter on the 26 than the 27 so you pretty much sit the same heighth wise in either boat. They work great. At high speeds you can wear a hat backwards no problem.

jrgaudettes
02-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks for all the help. I love those wind sheilds, but I would like to see how the perform before I purchase. :D

shippingguy
02-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks for all the help. I love those wind sheilds, but I would like to see how the perform before I purchase. :D
Well we will be out mid March if you want to take a run with me, but I can tell you they are AWESOME!!!

jrgaudettes
02-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Sounds good as I will be there around the same time. I just rented a storage in Havasu. Im tired of towing. Plus the last time I towed back it rained and what a mess that was. Spent all day cleaning just to have it rain on me again on the way to Ultra.:mad:

shippingguy
02-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Sounds good as I will be there around the same time. I just rented a storage in Havasu. Im tired of towing. Plus the last time I towed back it rained and what a mess that was. Spent all day cleaning just to have it rain on me again on the way to Ultra.:mad:
I will let you know when we are heading out.