PDA

View Full Version : Any body here pull two trailers?

wolfie
02-25-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm thinking of pulling a 5th wheel with the boat behind that. Anyone else here do that?

djunkie
02-25-2007, 11:19 PM
I have seen people doing it before but here in Ca. You need to have a class A drivers license with doubles endorsement and it has to be within the length limits. Also the first trailer needs to be a 5th wheel with brakes which it sounds like you do. Not sure about where your from.

wolfie
02-25-2007, 11:33 PM
I have seen people doing it before but here in Ca. You need to have a class A drivers license with doubles endorsement and it has to be within the length limits. Also the first trailer needs to be a 5th wheel with brakes which it sounds like you do. Not sure about where your from.
you know, I'm that planner from Utah.
Requirements are only for total length, 65'. I was wondering how many people do it.

HBjet
02-26-2007, 12:00 AM
A few of my dad's buddies used to do it back in the day. I don't believe they had class A licenses though. One of them pulled a 22' fifth wheel behind a chevy dually, and a blown California Performance behind the fifth wheel. All painted to match. Looked cool... The problem was you couldn't back up unless you drop the boat so they didn't pull two trailers that often.
HBjet

H20 Toie
02-26-2007, 06:31 AM
I have a class a and i did it for a couple of years, NEVER again, what a pain in the ass. everything from just hooking it up to a cross wind. also remember neither trailer can be over 28'. you also have to have enough tounge weight on the rear trailer to keep it from wanting to fish tail but if you have to much then the first trailer will want to fish tail.
if you use seperate controlles for the brakes it makes it a little better, that way if one of them ever get squirrly you can apply the rear trailer brakes and that will straighten them out.
It's not worth it as far as i'm conserned.

lawbreaker2
02-26-2007, 06:33 AM
It's not that hard to back up.:D But then again been driving a big rig for 21 years.:D

edog_103
02-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Each trailer can be no longer then 28'-6" total combined length truck and trailer no longer then 75'. Nothing in the book says you need a class "A" as long as you are under the 26,000 lbs weight limit and you are "not for hire". Your best bet is to call the CHP. They will give you the details.

AZJD
02-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Have done it before. Check with local highway laws to see about overall length and license requirements. All in all it is a little more difficult but can be done with no problems.

wolfie
02-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Overall length here in Utah is 65' (front bumper to end of jet). The 5th wheel trailer I'm looking at is about 24-25' and then my boat which is a 21' daycruiser. What I'm planning is to take them both to Flaming Gorge and leave the trailer for the summer. I can store it there and then pull it out every other weekend when we go. I'll then just tow the boat back & forth. But I also may want to tow both down too Lake Powell. There are a few lakes very close and for those I'll have my son pull the boat behind the Bronco and the trailer behind the truck.

Misogynist
02-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Overall length here in Utah is 65' (front bumper to end of jet). The 5th wheel trailer I'm looking at is about 24-25' and then my boat which is a 21' daycruiser. What I'm planning is to take them both to Flaming Gorge and leave the trailer for the summer. I can store it there and then pull it out every other weekend when we go. I'll then just tow the boat back & forth. But I also may want to tow both down too Lake Powell. There are a few lakes very close and for those I'll have my son pull the boat behind the Bronco and the trailer behind the truck.
I saw the most clapped out collection of trailers hooked together as "doubles" in the parking lot at Wahweap.

DILLIGAF
02-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Get in touch with Nodigg. I believe he does that from time to time and owns a trucking company in CA

skygod73
02-26-2007, 06:48 PM
I did it for a couple seasons with a 24'6" 5th wheel and a 23' open bow behind a Cummins. It's not that bad, I pulled from socal to Boise and back once. I mostly went to Mead/Mohave/Havasu. Hooking up takes a little practice but you'll get good at it, even by yourself. You can back up short distances straight pretty easy, just plan ahead when you enter streets and parking lots. Straight and left/right turns are easy. Not really that big of a deal if you just go slow and steady. When I got to an RV park I would drop the boat on a street near my campsite, park the 5th wheel and come back to hook up the boat. I never got bothered by the fuzz either.

dumbandyoung
02-26-2007, 06:54 PM
a friend of mine does it a few times a year. He has a burb hd and pulls a 23ft and two sea doos behind that. people look at him like hes crazy when he pulls it into a parking lot.

skygod73
02-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Yeah, you will get some crazy looks!:D

GunninGopher
02-26-2007, 09:24 PM
I think the CA law is a Max of 65' and 'not for hire'. I looked into it a couple of years ago and was suprised about how easy I thought it was going to be.
If you are going from A to B then who cares about backing up. Just fuel up at truck stops. They are always set up so that drivers don't have to back up.

wedge44
02-26-2007, 09:52 PM
I do it ...I'll post pics tomorrow....06 F-350 4x4, 06 wildcat f-28 4x4 lifted 5th wheel and Ultra 23xs...but liked mentioned know where you are going dropping and towing is pretty but then again I had Class A uptill last year, went back and got Non Commercial A but may not cover doubles, law is un clear even people at DMV couldn't clarify...... towed all too 3 locations last year I live in SCV, went to Don Pedro, Bass Lake and Back to Bass lake second time....no problems man, plan on doing it again this year.. I just like the option of dropping trailer and boat and still having ride too haul the family around....can't do that with motorhome set-up ....wedge:D :D :D
one more thing over all lenght stem to stern ....73' wedge

wolfie
02-26-2007, 09:57 PM
I appreciate all the advice. I'll probably stick to the Utah area and maybe venture into Arizona. i doubt that I'd ever run to Cali with the setup though.
Thanks guys.

Brian B
02-26-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm buying a 07 Duramax tomorrow and plan to pull my 19ft boat behind a 30ft Weekend Warrior a few times a year.
Are you guys that are doing this running 3/4 t's ot 1 t's?

Wild Horses
02-27-2007, 07:58 AM
I appreciate all the advice. I'll probably stick to the Utah area and maybe venture into Arizona. i doubt that I'd ever run to Cali with the setup though.
Thanks guys.
I pulled a 32' triple slide fifth wheel and a 22 Advantage Citation all the time with a 3/4 ton short bed Cummins.
I am from Utah and yes I was over length, if you have all of your shit together and follow the rules of the road the cops don't hassle you at all. Yes I have pulled it in Cali, Nevada and Zona. I pulled it up and down Logan Canyon many time. Cops in those places didn't look twice. As stated before the big thing is plan ahead to where you are going. THINK, THINK, THINK!
In reality the longer your fifth wheel the more stablity you will have. I noticed your boat trailer is tandem, you will do fine.
Clint
aka Runnin' Wild

skygod73
02-27-2007, 09:28 AM
I did it with a 97 Cummins 2500 ext cab LB 4x4. My rig was 67 ft.

HTRDLNCN
02-27-2007, 09:38 AM
another thing is to check with insurance and make
sure they will cover that combo if something happens.

dirtman
02-27-2007, 09:46 AM
I pull a 26' 5th wheel and a 17' sport jet. Strings out to 64' 11" with the reverse bucket up. Never had a problem. Just have to plan the fuel stops.

Run_em_Hard
02-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Judging by the look of things on here you might have to have a dodge to pull triple:devil: :devil:

Chicken Ship
02-27-2007, 11:10 AM
I pull doubles all the time with an F350.
One major thing you have to keep in mind is DO NOT pull more weight than your truck is rated for towing. I read an article a few months ago about a guy that was towing doubles and got into an accident. He killed some one and is now doing jail time because he was towing more weight than his truck was rated for. I believe he owned a business in the San Diego area. He lost everything in a lawsuit from the other family.
Length limit in AZ is 65ft

bwillieb
02-27-2007, 11:19 AM
...........Just a thought....but has anyone tried an Eaz Lift set up while towing doubles?.................(load leveling and anti sway deal).............

Chicken Ship
02-27-2007, 11:24 AM
You can only tow doubles if the first trailer is a 5th wheel or goose neck.

Jungle Boy
02-27-2007, 11:51 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/First_Camp_trip_04_018.jpgWe can do it in Alberta. Need 5th wheel pin and brake on at least one axle on the boat trailer.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/First_Camp_trip_04_018.jpg

abraman1326
02-27-2007, 12:29 PM
I've known a couple folks in CA doing it. My dad who is a truck driver w/ his doubles endorsement pulls his 27 ft. trailer (not 5th wheel) w/ his boat behind it for at least 1 of our trips a year. I wish my 1/2 ton had the balls to do it. It'd be easier to do that than I pulling the trailer and the wife pulling the boat.
Another friend pulls his boat behing his 5th wheel w/ no problems either. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out.
Now I am interested in finding out if I need a doubles endorsement to do it here in CA. The plan is to get a bigger truck this year anyway, so if I could just pull everything w/ 1, that'd be really nice...
BRA

wolfie
02-27-2007, 01:45 PM
I pulled a 32' triple slide fifth wheel and a 22 Advantage Citation all the time with a 3/4 ton short bed Cummins.
I am from Utah and yes I was over length, if you have all of your shit together and follow the rules of the road the cops don't hassle you at all. Yes I have pulled it in Cali, Nevada and Zona. I pulled it up and down Logan Canyon many time. Cops in those places didn't look twice. As stated before the big thing is plan ahead to where you are going. THINK, THINK, THINK!
In reality the longer your fifth wheel the more stablity you will have. I noticed your boat trailer is tandem, you will do fine.
Clint
aka Runnin' Wild
Thanks Clint.
I was thinking about just getting a Class C but I like being able to pull the boat out without having to break camp. I had a 28' trailer at one time that I had no problem with whatsoever. I'm reaally leaning towards the tandem trick. Like I said, I'm thinking of leaving it up at Flaming gorge during the summer so I wouldn't have to do it very often.

wolfie
02-27-2007, 01:49 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/First_Camp_trip_04_018.jpgWe can do it in Alberta. Need 5th wheel pin and brake on at least one axle on the boat trailer.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/First_Camp_trip_04_018.jpg
That's what I'm talking about.
I don't know about having to buy a Ford or a Dodge though. I'd have a hard time with that. It's bad enough having a Magnum, Mustang, and Bronco in the driveway.
I'll have to do it with the Chevy (8.1 with Allison trans).